The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:49 AM
Senior Ledgie

He has said that his gibson was giving him problems with fingerpicking and that he wasn't going to give up and use a pick because playing with his fingers is his style.

Not many electric players can finger pick let a lone travis pick like Lindsey. In my opinion theres nothign more borring than listen to a guy saw a guitar in half with a pick. It's totally generic and predictable. There are THOUSANDS of guitarists that strum chords out. Lindsey's style is a rarety.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madness Fades
and to correct ChilliD "Yes he is one of the best guitarists, what cant he do"
Your "correction" is misguided. He's got a unique style, that's for sure; but "unique style" doesn't not equate to "best guitarist".

He can't:
1) play blues authentically

2) improvise in a band situation

3)...oh, hell, there's just too many to mention...this bores me.
Old 03-07-2006, 10:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I think he's a neurotic, vain and insecure twat. (thanks mari )

I hate Tango in the Night, His Productional Masterpiece....

I think OOTC is his fourth best solo-album ( GOS included at #1).

I think he didn't diss the BTM-line-up out of jealousy, but out of about the artistic poorness of the result of their studiowork. (and i agreed)

so...out of arrogance.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Well I think you all are a bunch of Hippocrits. There is no need to come on to a Lindsey buckingham fan site forum then create a post to to find everything thats, in your opinoin not right with the man.
OK, I'm sure this has been posted before but I'm going to say it anyway. The whole point of a forum is for hopefully stimulating debate. If this forum was all about how good LB is it would become very boring. Like everything in life you have to have balance. Sometimes criticism is good to focus attention, especially if it is constructive. One of Lindsey's problems I believe is that he can give criticism of others but is uncomfortable about taking it. Sometimes he's even criticised others in order to make his own work look better.

Quote:
How does everyone know so much about him anyway he keeps such a low profile, as far a im aware he has a beautiful house a family which he loves, a big merc which i seen on DR and is back on friendly terms with the FM band.
It's impossible to keep a truly low profile when you have been in the public eye for over 30 years. Lindsey is a hermit by nature it would seem but you can get a reasonable picture of him over time if you have enough evidence.

Quote:
nobodys perfect but, if i could play guitar 1/4 as good i would be happy. If i had 1/4 his money i'd be happy and most of all if i had had 1/4 the whirlwind rockstar life he had, i would be happy.
You have to remember Paul that Lindsey has been playing guitar for 47 years. Give yourself long enough and study hard enough and you can be as good or better as a guitarist. It's a matter of desire and application.

I used to think that if I had the talent, money and rockstar life to only a small degree of what LB has I would be happy. Then, when you get it you find it's not enough and you want more. Call it greed or ambition or whatever. I think Lindsey wants more. Maybe not financially but certainly in terms of commercial success or praise.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBanks147
He has said that his gibson was giving him problems with fingerpicking and that he wasn't going to give up and use a pick because playing with his fingers is his style.

Not many electric players can finger pick let a lone travis pick like Lindsey. In my opinion theres nothign more borring than listen to a guy saw a guitar in half with a pick. It's totally generic and predictable. There are THOUSANDS of guitarists that strum chords out. Lindsey's style is a rarety.
boring?

eh.. Peter Green??? Hello!?

(edit: ok, I misread that. thought you said playing with a pick was boring, not just strumming) (but I don't think strumming's necessarily boring)

I don't know, I guess I'm not so tied to LB anymore, I just enjoy music in general. What's good is good. Sometimes, let's go cryptic, what's great is not so good at all. I mean, some musicians aren't really very great on a technical level, but create the most moving music anyway.
(and that gives me hope... )

As for other more versitile guitarists, maybe we can let loose Chili on this one

Last edited by Mari; 03-07-2006 at 01:23 PM..
Old 03-07-2006, 11:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
if i could play guitar 1/4 as good i would be happy. If i had 1/4 his money i'd be happy and most of all if i had had 1/4 the whirlwind rockstar life he had, i would be happy.
How does everyone know so much about him anyway he keeps such a low profile, as far a im aware he has a beautiful house a family which he loves, a big merc which i seen on DR
What you've said there reminds me alot of the stereotypical views of modern day Ireland. All very materialistic and status driven.Celtic Tiger and all that garbage.As if having such riches =happiness.
*shudder*Living here makes me feel tainted & wrong
Old 03-07-2006, 11:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You obviously havent watched Big Love live. Notice the strumming technique there, where's the problem. He dosent need a pick and it looks far cooler without one anyway.
That guy has spent his life mastering the guitar be careful what you critise..
nuff said...
It's not a case of "needing a pick". Different styles and sounds require different techniques. Take Eric Clapton, Slash, David Gilmour, BB King, Mark Knopfler, Lindsey Buckingham, Eddie Van Halen. All these are the most obvious examples of differing styles and techniques. When I hear a song I know right away which of these guys is playing.

Lindsey's style and sound is based around what he does with his fingers. It sounds great and looks very interesting but it can limit you as a player too in some respects.
Lindsey uses a form similar to Travis picking, Knopfler uses his fingers too but in a totally different way. He uses the flesh a lot more and tends to stick with three fingers most of the time. Eric uses both fingers and pick depending on the song and instrument. I'm actually in awe of players that can do both. I use my fingers but would love to be able to have full control of a pick. There are certain sounds you just cannot replicate with fingers alone.

I certainly think that players such as Clapton, Hendrix, Slash and Peter Green to name just four wouldn't have sounded the way they did/do by playing any other way. It's what you feel most comfortable with and what you feel works to express yourself in the best way.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
As for other more versitile guitarists, maybe we can let loose Chili on this one
Eric Clapton
Rick Vito
Bob Welch
Mark Knopfler
Warren Haynes
Doyle Bramhall II
Keith Richards
Paul McCartney (yeah, he's known as a bass player, but he's an incredibly versatile guitarist, as well)
Larry Carlton
Lee Ritenour

I could go on...but it would be pointless...there's your examples.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Name a more Versatile guitarist?
In fingerpicking style? Andreas Sergovia and Tommy Emmanuel spring to mind.

Mark Knopfler in terms of styles. He can play Jazz, Blues, Rock, Country and improvise within those "boundaries" and he can mix them too.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by shackin'up
...about the artistic poorness of the result of their studiowork. (and i agreed)

Earwax build-up strikes again.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:29 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari
boring?

eh.. Peter Green??? Hello!?

I don't know, I guess I'm not so tied to LB anymore, I just enjoy music in general. What's good is good. Sometimes, let's go cryptic, what's great is not so good at all. I mean, some musicians aren't really very great on a technical level, but create the most moving music anyway.

Peter Green is more of a "playing through the blues sales" Guitarist than a "strummer".

I listen to many other guitarists than Lindsey but my technique is mostly influenced by him. It's far more intresting and unique to listen to than say, the hundred millin hendrix wannabes that shread all the time.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
It's far more intresting and unique to listen to than say, the hundred millin hendrix wannabes that shread all the time.
Hmmm..."shred" & "Hendrix" doesn't really compute. I would never use the "shred" adjective regarding the way Hendrix played. It seems to me the originator of the "shred" mentality...the blame should be firmly cast upon Eddie Van Halen (and to some extent Randy Rhodes, too)...I think that's where that particular guitar playing abomination started.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:33 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madformac
In fingerpicking style? Andreas Sergovia and Tommy Emmanuel spring to mind.

Mark Knopfler in terms of styles. He can play Jazz, Blues, Rock, Country and improvise within those "boundaries" and he can mix them too.
I've heard Tommy but no Andreas. Tommy is very good yes but Lindsey combines his palying with popular quirky song playing. Lindsey Travis picking explores other styles like rock, country, folf, flamenco calssical (in a way with Go Insane) the 80's pop, bit of blues in the earlier days. He also has the ability to mould his technique fittingly into other songwriters songs.

Quote:
Eric Clapton
Rick Vito
Bob Welch
Mark Knopfler
Warren Haynes
Doyle Bramhall II
Keith Richards
Paul McCartney (yeah, he's known as a bass player, but he's an incredibly versatile guitarist, as well)
Larry Carlton
Lee Ritenour
All the guitarists you mentioned are very good player (Apart from McCartney who is absoloute TRIPE. Great songwriter, singer but the guy can't play guitar to save his life)
Old 03-07-2006, 11:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All the guitarists you mentioned are very good player (Apart from McCartney who is absoloute TRIPE. Great songwriter, singer but the guy can't play guitar to save his life)
Listen harder to McCartney's technique...but then you're already got a "wall o' bias" cemented in your ear canals, so never mind.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Hmmm..."shred" & "Hendrix" doesn't really compute. I would never use the "shred" adjective regarding the way Hendrix played. It seems to me the originator of the "shred" mentality...the blame should be firmly cast upon Eddie Van Halen (and to some extent Randy Rhodes, too)...I think that's where that particular guitar playing abomination started.
Hendrix' highly distorted quick solos, where for the time very innotive and theres no denying it. However I think he is THE most overrated guitar player of all time. The most influencial at the same time but he really wasn't what he's cut out to be. It's been years since hendrix yet I still hear his style in all these generic bands today, frankly it's boring.

PS no disrespect to Hendrix it wasn't his fault people copied him and he even said himself soemthing like "People are getting so good at copying me they copy my mistakes." Hendrix would be the first to admit that he was a slopppy player.