Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-27-2004, 03:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Which ones are best?

I've got Mystery To Me, and I like Station Man, and I Believe My Time Ain't Long. I'm gonna be asking for some classic pre-rumors mac albums for Christmas, and, based on what I have/like (Station Man, I Believe...) what albums do you think would be best for me to start out with. I just want some classic blues rock FM.

Thanks
Old 11-27-2004, 03:56 AM
Ledgie

Default which ones are bst

Remove all sharp objects from the house and then listen to Then Play On - stunning!
Old 11-27-2004, 04:06 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My personal favorite earlier albums are 'Then Play On,' 'Future Games,' 'Bare Trees,' 'Mystery To Me' and 'Heroes Are Hard To Find.'

Starting with 'TPO' though, FM progressively moved further and further away from the blues. So since you specifically mentioned wanting something bluesier, an excellent starting point might be 'The Best Of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.'

For about twenty dollars more though, there's the six disc 'Complete Blue Horizon Sessions, 1967-1969' boxed-set, which I highly recommend.

I guess it all depends on whether or not you want to dip your toes in the water first, or just dive right in!
Old 11-27-2004, 07:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Well, you already have the best Fleetwood Mac album since you have Mystery To Me. But, these are my favorite pre-1975 albums in order:

1. Mystery To Me
2. Heroes Are Hard To Find
3. Bare Trees
4. Future Games
5. Kiln House
6. Then Play One
7. Penguin

Alot of fans seem to like Mystery To Me, Bare Trees & Then Play On the best. You can't really go wrong if you get any of these albums. And, I agree with what Johnny Stew said about the Blue Horizon box set. That's all pure Peter Green era blues, 6 CDs for a pretty good price, too.
Old 11-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks. You've all made great recomendations. But, I have a question for Johnny Stew (I couldn't get my quote thing to work) About the box set, which looks like a great deal, With all those previously unreleased false start, remix, master reel, with all those different versions, does it still sound like the original song? Or is it completley different then the album versions? Basically what I'm trying to get to, would it be worth it to get both the Blue Horizon Box Set, and The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac?
Thanks again

Last edited by The Chain; 11-27-2004 at 03:57 PM..
Old 11-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain
I have a question for Johnny Stew (I couldn't get my quote thing to work) About the box set, which looks like a great deal, With all those previously unreleased false start, remix, master reel, with all those different versions, does it still sound like the original song? Or is it completley different then the album versions? Basically what I'm trying to get to, would it be worth it to get both the Blue Horizon Box Set, and The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac?
I guess the best way to describe some of the tracks is as "unedited."

You can hear some studio chatter before a song kicks in, and sometimes a little bit of chatter afterwards.
In a couple of cases, the instrumental intro or outro might be a little longer than the "original album version." And the main "Need Your Love So Bad" is about twice as long as the original album edit... but, it's important to note that you're still getting the same takes used for the album versions -- just unedited, and with additional takes, mixes, etc., added for completist's sake.

As for whether it's worth getting both the boxed-set and 'The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac'... well, I'd say it would be worth having both, because the latter release features a few songs that are not on the boxed-set, such as "Dragonfly" and "Man Of The World" (one of the single best Fleetwood Mac songs EVER recorded, by ANY incarnation of the band).
You'll also get a few choice cuts from 'Then Play On.'

By the way, I should mention that the albums contained in the 'Complete Blue Horizon Sessions' boxed set, are also available individually. They were just released this fall.
I don't own those yet though, so I'm not sure if the main album tracks contain the studio chatter, etc., found on the boxed-set or not.
Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac'

'Mr. Wonderful'

'The Pious Bird Of Good Omen'

'Blues Jam In Chicago, Volume 1'
'Blues Jam In Chicago, Volume 2'

'The Original Fleetwood Mac'
Old 11-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew
I guess the best way to describe some of the tracks is as "unedited."

You can hear some studio chatter before a song kicks in, and sometimes a little bit of chatter afterwards.
In a couple of cases, the instrumental intro or outro might be a little longer than the "original album version." And the main "Need Your Love So Bad" is about twice as long as the original album edit... but, it's important to note that you're still getting the same takes used for the album versions -- just unedited, and with additional takes, mixes, etc., added for completist's sake.

As for whether it's worth getting both the boxed-set and 'The Best of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac'... well, I'd say it would be worth having both, because the latter release features a few songs that are not on the boxed-set, such as "Dragonfly" and "Man Of The World" (one of the single best Fleetwood Mac songs EVER recorded, by ANY incarnation of the band).
You'll also get a few choice cuts from 'Then Play On.'

By the way, I should mention that the albums contained in the 'Complete Blue Horizon Sessions' boxed set, are also available individually. They were just released this fall.
I don't own those yet though, so I'm not sure if the main album tracks contain the studio chatter, etc., found on the boxed-set or not.
Hopefully someone else can answer that for you.

'Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac'

'Mr. Wonderful'

'The Pious Bird Of Good Omen'

'Blues Jam In Chicago, Volume 1'
'Blues Jam In Chicago, Volume 2'

'The Original Fleetwood Mac'

Thanks. I really wanted to get each individual album anyway. Good prices too. Just curious though, why does, I think it's Mr.Wonderful have Dust My Broom, and I think Pious Bird has I Believe My Time Ain't Long. Aren't they the same song?
Old 11-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chain
why does, I think it's Mr.Wonderful have Dust My Broom, and I think Pious Bird has I Believe My Time Ain't Long. Aren't they the same song?
They're diffeent versions. In fact, the DMB version is on the Chain box but they incorrectly listed it as IBMTAL.

John
Old 11-27-2004, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Best Pre-Rumours...

My faves in order:

1. Bare Trees
2. Future Games
3. Mystery to Me
4. Then Play On
5. Kiln House

The others (HAHTF, Penguin) I've not heard enough to say. I like Danny the best of the Pre-Rumours folks, so BT and FG are my faves, he was just ON at that time. MTM is an awesome Bob/Christine record and if not for The City ( ), it would be a perfect album. Then Play On is a perfect transition record from blues to rock. Kiln House has some terrific Danny and Jeremy songs.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:37 PM
Junior Ledgie

the two disc live at the bbc album is fantastic. great jams.