The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-30-2003, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default On a POSITIVE note, what are the best changes in Stevie's songs over the years?

Stand Back sounds better than ever. New version is less keyboard heavy. Drums, guitars, and vocals are great.

Stevie's voice is less deep than twelve or thirteen years ago, her nose sounds less stuffed up than 18 years ago, and her range has broadened since BTM. Who wasn't surprised by the difference between Candlebright & Sorcerer as they were presented back-to-back?

Song lyrics seem to have a good balance between meaningful imagery (for the fans) and clarity (for the critics).

I love the confidence her mature voice sometimes shows. The lines where she throws in a pause rather than belting all parts like in RAL days. Don't cringe, but I love the last part of Silver Girl when she sings "You cannot see her face....unless she lets you" in a different way from the rest of the song.

Landslide sounds great with the stronger vocals. How different from FM Live album! (I used to love that version, but now it pales in comparison.)

There seems to be more attention to album sequencing to support the effect of each song.

The return of the guitar sound to her songs.

Less ballads. I always liked her ballads, but welcome a more Rock-charged pace.

Less of a reliance on duets. Admittedly, she has had more guest vocalists on her solo stuff of late, but mostly they've been female, which is an obvious change in style from Henley, Petty, and Hornsby.

- Jake

Last edited by darklinensuit; 05-30-2003 at 01:42 AM..
Old 05-30-2003, 05:01 AM
Junior Ledgie

Lyricwise, surprisingly little has changed.
Stevie never grew up, but she is a more experienced teenager.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok. for me, I would have to say Silver Springs, even though it wasn't heard in the day, wasn't really played at concerts. From the recordings of it originally, and to the power of it performed during the Dance for really the first time, I think that she has more confidence to "let have" now than she would have then. Maybe not, but, while I love her young voice, she really does the song justice now.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:19 AM

Good question. Silver Springs is probably the one I think was improved somewhat. She also is singing Landslide beautifully, but what really improved that song in my eyes is the way Lindsey does the solo. But I must say, the way she sings Landslide in the Live album is heart-wrenching. I just don't like the cheesy keyboard solo on that one.
Old 05-30-2003, 04:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Silver Springs has certainly improved in updated versions. The studio version has the same 70s soft rock guitar sound as Sentimental Lady.

Also, Stevie's song title picks seem a bit more straightforward as she gets older.

- Jake
Old 05-31-2003, 05:43 AM
Ledgie

I agree - I think she sings both Silver Springs and Landslide so much better now than she ever has. She sings them with more maturity and I think that is what they need to make them so special - they seem to have more meaning to her now. The lyrics to both seem to be even more prolific and have more significance now than they were when they were written. I think this effects the way that Stevie sings them.

Love Gem

Old 06-05-2003, 04:46 AM
Ledgie

Thumbs up

Some of the best changes in Stevie's songs, I feel, are definitely her live versions of some her classics. She obviously seems to have really grown into them.

"Gold Dust Woman", which she has used to open most of her shows on her solo tours back in the days, never has sounded so good. A fact that may have nothing to do with the actual sound of her voice, but everything to do with how she is presenting the story of this song. She sings this song like she means it. It takes on a new life everytime she presents to us on various tours.

She has taken us there with very Yin and Yang of the story. The good, the bad and the ugly that comes with the rock 'n' roll lifestyle. Stevie may, in the end, be writing the book on this very thought and with "Gold Dust Woman" being its theme song. She has been the very woman and has also been the dragon that consumed her!

(One of my favorite versions of "Gold Dust Woman" is from the tour for "Tango In The Night"; the intro was amazing even before she sang a note!)

"Rhiannon" as well proves that her story is no less compelling when sung earthbound as apposed to it being sung 100 feet up in the sky! I really love its music box quality as of late.

She sings her live material like a woman who knows.

As for some interesting changes. Since I really love Stevie's speaking voice, I love it when she is barely singing but actually talking on her songs i.e.; "Seven Wonders", "Stand By Me", "Battle Of The Dragon", "Everybody Finds Out", "Illume", "Destiny Rules", "One More Big Time Rock 'n' Roll Star"

She is one of the few singers that can pull this off so effectively and make it sound so compelling; leaving you hanging on every word.

Life, Love, and Magick~
Moon Brother

Last edited by Moon Brother; 06-05-2003 at 04:48 AM..
Old 06-05-2003, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think the biggest improvement is Silver Springs. The original version just doesn't have the power or emotion that the Dance version has. The Dance version gives me chills, especially if I am viewing the performance too. Big improvement!

Also, I think that Stevie shows more raw emotion in her music and performances as she ages, which I really like. I think her performances used to come through as more energy than emotion. I like the shift to more emotion, because I think she is showing more of her true self now.

~~Don't compromise yourself. You're all you've got.~~ Janis Joplin
Old 06-05-2003, 01:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Original subject of thread
...what are the best changes in Stevie's songs over the years
I think the Am to F is the best.

Old 06-05-2003, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
I think the Am to F is the best.

Too common. I prefer Fmaj7 to G6.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

So, you're going to be playing "Dreams" all night...uh, I mean "Outside The Rain"...wait, "Sable On Blond" or.....
Old 06-05-2003, 01:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by chiliD
So, you're going to be playing "Dreams" all night...uh, I mean "Outside The Rain"...wait, "Sable On Blond" or.....
LOL

I saw you posted and thought your reply was going to be "well, she left in 1992 (or so), but dam%it, she came back!!!!!"

Also, isn't "Rose Garden" on Street Angel in that same key? Odds are . . . . . .

Note: I am just having good natured fun - I love Stevie.

In fact, I think one of her best thing these days is she is being a trooper and sticking it out with the boys even though her hip really appears to be bothering her and the whole change of life thing. Also, that voice is never bad in my opinion and, in fact, is now higher, prettier and clearer live and on the record than I have heard in awhile.

So you keep on rocking sista-woman!!!!!!!!

Also, if you have not heard it - you need to check out the 1970's live version of Silver Springs. It is incredible. In it, I thought I heard heard her distinctly scream "I'll cast a spell on you Linds - You won't for get me!!!!" I do not know where my copy is as my hard drive crashed. But, I got it off of Kaaza so maybe it is still there.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 06-05-2003 at 01:54 PM..
Old 06-07-2003, 12:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by strandinthewind
LOL

I saw you posted and thought your reply was going to be "well, she left in 1992 (or so), but dam%it, she came back!!!!!"

Also, isn't "Rose Garden" on Street Angel in that same key? Odds are . . . . . .

Note: I am just having good natured fun - I love Stevie.

In fact, I think one of her best thing these days is she is being a trooper and sticking it out with the boys even though her hip really appears to be bothering her and the whole change of life thing. Also, that voice is never bad in my opinion and, in fact, is now higher, prettier and clearer live and on the record than I have heard in awhile.

So you keep on rocking sista-woman!!!!!!!!

Also, if you have not heard it - you need to check out the 1970's live version of Silver Springs. It is incredible. In it, I thought I heard heard her distinctly scream "I'll cast a spell on you Linds - You won't for get me!!!!" I do not know where my copy is as my hard drive crashed. But, I got it off of Kaaza so maybe it is still there.
"change of life thing"?? Is this the first mention of Stevie going through menopause on this forum? I didn't know this happened to rock stars. Ha!!!!