User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

News OK by Brandy McDonnell [click for very nice photos]

http://newsok.com/concert-review-pho...rticle/5411569

Concert review, photos & set list: With Christine McVie's return, Fleetwood Mac electrifies Oklahoma City's Chesapeake Energy Arena 4/18/2015

"The Chain" is at last mended, and unbroken, it's as strong as ever.

Fleetwood Mac made its delayed yet triumphant return to Oklahoma City Friday night with its full, five-star iconic lineup, including singer/keyboardist Christine McVie, whose significance in the band becomes even more apparent once you witness live the way she both energizes and eases her cohorts.

Or as drummer and bandleader Mick Fleetwood put it, "Yet again, it's my pleasure to really acknowledge how unbelievably great it is to know this lady sharing our stage and making us all feel very complete. Our 'Songbird' has returned."

An adoring sellout crowd of about 13,000 fans flocked to Chesapeake Arena Friday night to welcome the full Mac attack, even if it was a full month later than initially planned. The OKC stop on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame outfit's "On with the Show Tour" was postponed back in March due to an illness in the band.

"Thank you everybody for bringing my girl back and the force of nature Stevie and Chris thing I love and she loves," Nicks said. "Thank you for staying with us for 40 years."

Even with all that, it's impossible to overstate the galvanizing effect McVie's return had on Fleetwood Mac Friday night. Although she's my personal favorite, the English singer-songwriter and her ex-husband, bassist John McVie, have long been the quiet strength of Fleetwood Mac, unobtrusively carrying on while Buckingham, Nicks and Fleetwood always seemed in a three-way run-off for the title of the quirkiest, most outsized personality in the band, if not all of rock 'n' roll.

But comparing Friday night's show to the Fleetwood Mac concert I reviewed in 2009 at Tulsa's BOK Center, there's no comparison - and no doubt that Christine McVie is the linchpin of Fleetwood Mac. Don't get me wrong, the band performed admirably enough as a foursome, but her absence left a hole that the band — especially fellow vocalists Buckingham and Nicks — obviously struggled to fill at times.

On Friday night, though, there was no struggle, only the pure rock 'n' roll joy of a band finally back in balance: Stevie Nicks may be the one at center stage, but Christine McVie serenely centers the thunderous rhythm section of Fleetwood and John McVie and the stormy musical chemistry of ex-lovers Buckingham and Nicks.

The difference was undeniable from the opening number, the rumbling anthem "The Chain," which showcases all the band members' strengths, including the trademark three-part harmonies of Buckingham, Nicks and Christine McVie. With the latter's return, the band's cavernous catalog of hits gets even deeper, and the quintet immediately linked "The Chain" to one of her biggest hits, "You Make Loving Fun," a delightful showcase for her bluesy voice and piano.

From there, the 2 1/2-hour show, the band's first in the Oklahoma City arena since 2003, became just what a Fleetwood Mac concert ought to be: a round robin of Buckingham, Nicks and Christine McVie signature hits, with each eagerly backing up the other during their spotlight songs.

As usual, Buckingham was a tight coil of energy springing into action when he sets his fleet fingers to an electric or acoustic guitar. Finger-picking like a demon and crooning - and more than occasionally yowling - like a wounded lover, he brought his usual dynamism to "Second Hand News," "I Know I'm Not Wrong" and "Tusk," although it was seeing Christine McVie strap on her accordion that made that last one a highlight for me.

Buckingham literally took the darkened stage solo for his flamenco-style acoustic version of "Big Love," and he didn't let the snapping of a guitar string on the first solo faze him, simply starting the song over without losing any of his intensity.

He and Nicks harkened back to their days of a duo when she joined him for heart-wrecking acoustic renditions of her "Landslide" and his "Never Going Back Again." The former couple provided the show's powerful one-two punch with Nicks' eerily extended version of "Gold Dust Woman," her dusky howls punctuated by her possessed-marionette dance moves and John McVie's sternum-rattling bass line, and Buckingham's expanded electric guitar lament "I'm So Afraid," the ominous overtones intensified by the lowering of the lighting rigs to right above Fleetwood's drum kit.

Gliding across the massive largely unadorned stage in her black ruffled skirt and fringed shawls, with both her tambourine and microphone stand draped in fluttering streamers, Nicks throatily showed off her witchy ways and indisputable stage presence on "Rhiannon," "Sisters of the Moon" and "Dreams." An engaging storyteller, she shared the background of the autobiographical "Gypsy," a childhood favorite of mine that probably brought back as many memories for me as it did for the songstress in that magical moment when she began twirling across the stage.

Still slim and elegant in her black pants and black velvet jacket, Christine McVie proved that her long retirement had not diminished her warm and precise vocals - who else could deliver the line "my friends say I'm acting peculiarly" on the effervescent "Everywhere," which she dedicated to the fans? - as she buoyed the crowd with "Say You Love Me," "Over My Head" and "Little Lies."

"We're nearing the end of this tour, and it's hard to believe I'm standing on this stage," said Christine McVie midway through the penultimate show on the North American leg of the tour, which heads to England next month.

Naturally, the band ended its set with the fan favorite "Go Your Own Way," which always turns into such an enthusiastic sing-along that is an undeniable highlight of any Fleetwood Mac show.

Of course, no Fleetwood Mac show would be complete without one of those hallmark maniacal Mick Fleetwood drum solos, and the encore started with the bearded and ponytailed bandleader leading the audience through a pounding primal scream session in the midst of the band's bluesy classic "World Turning."

He waxed eloquently about each of his bandmates as well as the group's skilled backup singers and musicians before launching the Mac attack into another crowd-pleasing sing-along number, "Don't Stop," which Christine McVie matching her barroom-style keyboard to Buckingham’s spirited guitar.

The only thing that would have made Christine McVie's return better would have been her performing her signature ode, "Songbird," the band's traditional closing number. However, during her retirement years, Nicks' beautiful ballad "Silver Springs" became the group's usual closer, and so it was the Gypsy and not the Songbird that used her soulful voice to bid farewell to the Oklahoma City crowd. (Previous reviews indicate that McVie has sometimes performed “Songbird” as a second encore on this tour; alas, that’s not what happened in OKC Friday night, perhaps because the first encore didn’t end until 10:45 p.m.)

Still, it was the Songbird that made Fleetwood Mac soar to its loftiest heights Friday night.
Old 04-19-2015, 02:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

"by her possessed-marionette dance moves "

perfect description...I was on the right of stage lower level and when Stevie came over for her gdw dance I was in complete awe. This woman has no stiff bones in her body. I had to keep reminding myself she was 66. Oklahoma City show was completely full. Even the seats in 3rd level were full. Rhiannon was absolutely amazing. Oh and videos don't do world turning justice. It was a definite showcase number of classic 70s fleetwood mac. The crowd was especially appreciative. The only thing that was odd was that burly man that threw his shirt up on stage during Stevie's speech. And him walking back to his seat shirtless.

Last edited by pryderi; 04-19-2015 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: added more information
Old 04-19-2015, 06:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Talking Christy and Mick!

Old 04-19-2015, 07:26 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Awesomeness!!

OKC show was the best ever! Stevie never sounded better and she was so happy to have Chris back! You could tell they were a very unified group and they watched out for each other. We ended up sitting by some of the FM entourage and got to hear some inside scoop! It was awesome! Well worth the price of the tickets!!
Old 04-19-2015, 09:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRhiannon View Post
OKC show was the best ever! Stevie never sounded better and she was so happy to have Chris back! You could tell they were a very unified group and they watched out for each other. We ended up sitting by some of the FM entourage and got to hear some inside scoop! It was awesome! Well worth the price of the tickets!!
well….????you're just gonna throw that out and leave us hanging???
Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
Nobody's Perfekt was a tee shirt Christine had years ago … it was a play on her maiden name Perfect. Weird that they had tee shirts at the show with that on it and that they gave him one…. wonder what that was all about

Your Chris pic… looks like she's wearing one of Stevie's gloves and Stevie's Hearbreakers badge
Chris was wearing the Heartbreakers badge at Tuesday's LA show. At one point, Stevie had just one glove on - Chris must've had the other one but I didn't notice that at the time. Such girly-girls doing that kind of stuff.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Agreed!! I also want to hear the scoop!
Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Great review, thank you. Loved the pic of John. He's the one I would want to meet and have a drink with the most.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
WWWhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt, please tell us
Old 04-20-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethemac1 View Post
WWWhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttt, please tell us
give us the scoop!!!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
give us the scoop!!!
Come on. Scoop away!
Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Chris was wearing the Heartbreakers badge at Tuesday's LA show. At one point, Stevie had just one glove on - Chris must've had the other one but I didn't notice that at the time. Such girly-girls doing that kind of stuff.
Someone had some nice close-up pictures and the glove that Chris was wearing (on the right hand which we have been assuming was the source of the "can't play Songbird" problem), seemed to be something medically related. Like a special brace or pressure garment sort of thing. Or at least that's the way it looked to me, I could be wrong of course. As to why Stevie was going around with only one glove...who knows, perhaps channeling a Michael Jackson moment?