User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2018, 01:52 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
It looks like I'm also in the minority regarding my low opinion of "Fire Burning."
You're not alone as long as I continue to breathe. I've tried with that damn song and can't find anything to like about it. I could almost forgive the lyrics and heavy-Klonopin vocals but Campbell's music is grating as hell to my ear. Definitely in my top 5 worst Stevie songs and by far the worst of their collaborations.

As for the others...

Tier 1: Good Songs

Blue Denim is a really fun song. What it lacks in especially memorable lyrics or melody it excels with a classic rock and roll feel. It's incredibly refreshing compared to some of the excess found on RAL and TOSOTM. Her vocals aren't as heartfelt as they need to be, but she's in full force when she does the song live. Love the rendition she did live on Leno in 1994 and wish she'd kept it around. As someone else said, maybe a filler track on a better album, but a fun tune to sing along to if nothing else.

I actually like Freedom a good deal, and would like it a lot more if it hadn't been cursed with that blasted muddy BTM production sound. Yucky background vocals, nonsense licks and flourishes, it's sad that an even better song is buried in there. The basic music is rocking though, and the lyrics are angry-Stevie in all the best ways. Even in full-force klonopin, her energy does shine through several times through the song.

My Heart should have been on Trouble in Shangri-La, no question about it. The music, lyrics, and performance are great and should've booted That Made Me Stronger or Love Changes to the curb. Don't care for the IYD rearrangement at all.

I respect For What It's Worth a lot. The simple production is great and, like a lot of IYD, it gave the vibe of a new direction that still had that distinct Stevie flair. Not something I go out of my way to listen to very often, but a nice song.

Tier 2: Meh Songs

Kick It and Greta are both very eh songs to me. For what it's worth, I like Campbell's music on both of them but Stevie's performance and lyrics are so bland and forgettable. It's sad because the subject matters of both songs are a gold mine of potential. I also always cringe on Greta when I hear "She's got a movie star view".

Ghosts is similar in that the IDEA of the song is fantastic! The concept of Stevie acknowledging that she carries these ideas and expectations of the past, present, and future that cannot be measured up to is a neat topic to explore. Unfortunately, the song is full of some awkward and indulgent lyrics though ("She depends on her music like a husband" ugh), and that music is almost as bad as Fire Burning. Still, she admirably sings with some passion on it so it gets a very slim pass.

You Like Me is conflicting for me. It doesn't feel like a Stevie Nicks song at all, but she sings it very well and I like the music. It has a decent, angry build for a while and it really should've EXPLODED at the end, but it doesn't so it sort of drags for me. Still, I'd take it any day over Imperial Hotel. Those lyrics are atrocious and kill a halfway decent arrangement for RAL. It just kind of wanders along and makes a 3 minute song feel like it is 7 minutes. That song belongs with Fire Burning on a list of songs better to not even rank among the rest.

Desert Angel... As much as I don't like the music at the start (gives me Ghosts/Fire Burning vibes), her energy here is great and I can gel with the lyrics and booming drums for the first verse... but good god this songs drags. The lyrics get worse as the song goes along too. I do love her wails at the end though. OPERATION DESERT STORM!

Whole Lotta Trouble I go back and forth with. I like watching it live since the band seems like they're having fun with it but... I hate her voice. And the lyrics. And the cheesy horns. So I can tolerate it for the "jam vibe" I get from it but not much else.

Tier 3: Horrible Songs

I've expressed my distaste for Fire Burning and Imperial Hotel.

I Don't Care.... Sodascouts expressed my opinion verbatim in the initial post.

Song Fleetwood Mac should play: Freedom. They need to musically tear this song a new one

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:50 AM
Senior Ledgie

Absolutely LOVE Blue Denim!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whole Lotta Trouble should have been saved for Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-27-2018, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Blue Denim is fantastic.

But I also love Imperial Hotel. I really do!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Love

1. Blue Denim - One of my fav Stevie solo tunes.

2. My Heart - At first I couldn't get used to the In Your Dreams retake of this song... but after a listen recently, I think it's far superior to the original Trouble In Shangri La outtake.

3. Freedom - I also agree this is underrated. I love the rocking, fast-ish tempo and the angry sentiments on this one.

4. Desert Angel - I've always really liked, but not loved this song. I really dig the quirky music and mystical presentation of this one. I also really like the subject matter of the lyrics- Stevie never goes political. The lyrics are as current today as when they were nearly 30 years ago. So what keeps it out of the love category for me? I'm honestly not entirely sure. Perhaps it's the rather self-indulgent lyrics? Her vacillating between her love of the desert and hatred of this latest desert war is a bit ham fisted in places. Great sentiments... but not quite what it could be I suppose.

5. Kick It - I rather like this one. Comparing being addicted to relationships to being addicted to substances is actually kind of smart to me. I really like the music, too... just stripped down, straight forward rock & roll. This is one of her more underrated songs, IMO.

Eh

6. Whole Lotta Trouble - I agree that it's fun... and I like the uptempo beat and sentiment behind it. Ultimately, it's still fluff to me, though.

7. Ghosts - I view Other Side of the Mirror as a concept album... it's meant to be listened to as a whole continuous work rather than individual songs. Ghosts, like most of the songs on the album, doesn't particularly stand out to me because of that.

8. You Like Me - I had to look this one up. Meh.

9. Greta - I used to really love the funkiness of this song. Over the past several years it's lost it's sheen for me, though. I think it's the flat, lifeless vocals. She just doesn't even sound convinced about the words she's singing.

10. Imperial Hotel - This one doesn't really elicit any emotions in me at all. It's neither good nor bad... it's just there.

Dislike

11. For What It's Worth - To me, this song reminds me of the bad songs on Street Angel. The rather lackluster vocals (especially those dreary double harmonies) don't do it any favors. I'm not huge on the lyrics, either... they are fairly unimaginative in the vain of Cheaper Than Free. Plus, the whole song is glorifying trying to steal her married addiction counselor from his wife. Beautiful Child is another example of a song about an affair with a married man, but it's done in a much more abstract and provocative way. FWIW just comes across as cringe worthy to me.

12. Fire Burning - I agree with others... the lyrics are just awful. I don't think a whole lot of the music, either.

Loathe

13. I Don't Care - This one is pretty terrible. Awful lyrics, awful execution. Again, reminds me of the bad stuff on Street Angel.

Special Question: Should she do any of these with Fleetwood Mac?

The only song that would get a pass from me would be Freedom since it was a FM song to begin with. Blue Denim could be lovely... but does it have a place on a FM stage?
Old 06-28-2018, 12:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post

The only song that would get a pass from me would be Freedom since it was a FM song to begin with. Blue Denim could be lovely... but does it have a place on a FM stage?
"I was with him... everyone knew. Poor little fool."

Old 06-30-2018, 12:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Love

2. My Heart - At first I couldn't get used to the In Your Dreams retake of this song... but after a listen recently, I think it's far superior to the original Trouble In Shangri La outtake.

I love both versions, with a preference for the In Your Dreams version. But since the lyrics are different I think of them as two different songs rather than demo vs. finished.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I forgot to add my favorite unreleased Stevie/Mike collaboration: The Mixdown AKA Love and War. I love this track!
Old 06-30-2018, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
Whole Lotta Trouble should have been saved for Fleetwood Mac.
We may hear it yet.
Old 06-30-2018, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I forgot to add my favorite unreleased Stevie/Mike collaboration: The Mixdown AKA Love and War. I love this track!
That's one of my favorites as well!

I didn't know this music was written by Campbell! Did Stevie mention that in an interview or something?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4LmAn-ydcAA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A user commented this on the above YouTube video:

"I think this is the demo she built around the Mike Campbell track without permission that Tom Petty freaked out over (and which eventually became Runaway Train). I know some have speculated that was Joan of Arc but I think this was the one."

That seems speculative. Is this what you're talking about? Or is there harder evidence?

It could very well be true!

Old 06-30-2018, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Inspired by another thread: What is your opinion of Stevie's collaborations with Mike Campbell? I am not counting SDMHA because it is not a co-write.

Here's mine:

Love

1. Blue Denim - fantastic. I adore this song. One of my favorites of Stevie's.

2. Whole Lotta Trouble - A fun rocker. Great song!

3. Freedom - I think this is underrated. It's catchy.

Eh

4. For What It's Worth - the grammatical problem of this one annoys me no end and keeps me from enjoying it. I'm sorry. However, it has its good parts.

5. My Heart - OK. Boring in some parts.

6. Desert Angel - Tiresome and dreary in many parts. However, I don't think I hate it as much as everyone else, because it's not at the bottom for me. It has some nice lines.

7. Ghosts - Doesn't interest me. I usually skip it. Again, some nice lines here and there.

8. You Like Me - This one was released by the Williams Brothers but there's also an unreleased version of Stevie doing it. It's alright. Nothing special. Glad she didn't release it.

9. Greta - not bad, but not very interesting. Some questionable lyrical choices.

Dislike

10. Fire Burning - This song had potential but it was squandered with asinine lyrics. "Let me tell you about this fire in my house...except there is no fire! it's just an illusion!" MIND BLOWN!

Loathe

11. Kick It - This song makes no sense. It's like Stevie just stuck lyrics together. I'm sure they must have had some coherence in her head... but I can't follow the trail.

12. I Don't Care - This song grates on me. It annoys me. I can't stand it.

13. Imperial Hotel - HATE. SO. MUCH. Meandering....self-indulgent, half-baked lyrics... awful.

No.
I'll just say that Blue Denim is the best (which I do like quite a bit) of the Mike/Stevie collaborations, and the rest dabble in mediocrity, or worse. Doesn't give much hope to some fantastic new music from the two of them. Especially considering that they have faded quite a bit since their prime years.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
That's one of my favorites as well!

I didn't know this music was written by Campbell! Did Stevie mention that in an interview or something?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4LmAn-ydcAA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A user commented this on the above YouTube video:

"I think this is the demo she built around the Mike Campbell track without permission that Tom Petty freaked out over (and which eventually became Runaway Train). I know some have speculated that was Joan of Arc but I think this was the one."

That seems speculative. Is this what you're talking about? Or is there harder evidence?

It could very well be true!
Okay so the Runaway Trains demo is supposedly the Ooh My Love Tango in the Night working version we got on the deluxe/expanded Tango. You'll have to forgive me but my brain is like an overstuffed filing cabinet when it comes to Stevie/Mac stuff. It's there but I don't know where it came from. The same goes for Love and War. I'm pretty sure it's a Mike Campbell co-write but I can't definitively say.

Also it's the same but can I just say I love this?
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d7OhTqS1F9o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For context:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/gUzLYAuyDiU" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by gldstwmn; 07-01-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 07-01-2018, 09:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Okay so the Runaway Trains demo is supposedly the Ooh My Love Tango in the Night working version we got on the deluxe/expanded Tango. You'll have to forgive me but my brain is like an overstuffed filing cabinet when it comes to Stevie/Mac stuff. It's there but I don't know where it came from. The same goes for Love and War. I'm pretty sure it's a Mike Campbell co-write but I can't definitively say.

Also it's the same but can I just say I love this?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/d7OhTqS1F9o" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Didn't know that about "Ooh My Love" working version either. Interesting!

As for the vid... it makes me think this song can give her a new answer to any questions about Lindsey's firing. "Nothing is fair in love and war!"

Old 07-04-2018, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Didn't know that about "Ooh My Love" working version either. Interesting!

As for the vid... it makes me think this song can give her a new answer to any questions about Lindsey's firing. "Nothing is fair in love and war!"
Oh I'm sure he's in those lyrics! We live in interesting times.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

the problem on most of their collaborations is her lame lyrics, not his music. She wasn't writing music because she'd run out of ideas, or was doing too much coke, or whatever. She got lazy. In the early days she'd try to create her own music. Then she got too famous and lazy. So she slapped a lot of messy sloppy lyrics over his music. I wouldn't blame him for things like "take a moment and think for a minute for a moment for a minute"