User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM77 View Post
I don't think this tour is going beyond June 2015.
I think the will do a fair number of dates in UK & Aus/Nz but I think the tour will run through August or September 2015.
Old 10-11-2014, 05:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
If that's true then I expect a new studio album and a tour DVD by September 2015. That's a reasonable expectation, isn't it?
Old 10-11-2014, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
If that's true then I expect a new studio album and a tour DVD by September 2015. That's a reasonable expectation, isn't it?
If they record a new album quick like Stevie did with her 24K album.It could happen.

If Stevie is the only one that owes FM songs which is I guess is about 3 or 4 tunes and add her backup on the other tunes .I dont see what not.

They will be close together for the next 6 plus months .They could go over some tunes for the new album if they have any free time.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfanforever View Post
If they record a new album quick like Stevie did with her 24K album.It could happen.

If Stevie is the only one that owes FM songs which is I guess is about 3 or 4 tunes and add her backup on the other tunes .I dont see what not.

They will be close together for the next 6 plus months .They could go over some tunes for the new album if they have any free time.
Forgive me - but I don't trust them to be that proactive.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Are government benefits only available to over-65s in the US? You don't have an unemployment benefit or a youth allowance payment?
We do have unemployment. You have to pay into the system first before you are laid off, to qualify for the benefit. That's the same thing with the death and disability benefits distributed through social security as well.

I'm not sure what a youth allowance payment is, so I don't know if we have the equivalent to that. But people with dependent children can get aid, food vouchers, baby formula, etc.

Michele
Old 10-11-2014, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Reasonable? Sure. Likely? Not so sure.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
We do have unemployment. You have to pay into the system first before you are laid off, to qualify for the benefit. That's the same thing with the death and disability benefits distributed through social security as well.

I'm not sure what a youth allowance payment is, so I don't know if we have the equivalent to that. But people with dependent children can get aid, food vouchers, baby formula, etc.

Michele
Gee, Australia's welfare system is a lot more generous than America's. You don't need to have paid tax to qualify for a benefit. To qualify for the dole ($515 per fortnight) you just need to show that you are looking for work. Youth Allowance is a payment to people aged between 16 and 25 who are either studying, training, doing an apprenticeship, looking for work or are sick. People who live with their parents are ineligible if their parents earn over a specified amount, about $100000 p.a.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:38 AM
Ledgie

My best friend's family lives in New Zealand and Australia and are shocked at how few benefits people in the U.S. receive. We are the only industrialized nation that does not have a national medical plan (people are scared to death of "socialized medicine" here so fight it, even though we pay 5x as much as everyone else in the world for way less health coverage and many people end up in bankruptcy because of the lack of health care). Also, college financial aid is difficult for most people in the middle class to qualify for (unlike most other nations) and there is virtually no "safety" net now for people who are unemployed long-term. Forget benefits that you're describing--that's "welfare," which people here abhor.

Also, unlike most other nations which provide at least four weeks of paid vacation each year, we don't get that either. People in the U.S. are lucky if they receive two weeks of paid vacation. And, for most of us, we work many more hours without additional compensation (they call it "exempt" or "salaried" status), too. I sometimes wish I had moved to Australia when I was younger. Our country really seems to be going downhill--but that's another discussion.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnFan4Ever View Post
My best friend's family lives in New Zealand and Australia and are shocked at how few benefits people in the U.S. receive. We are the only industrialized nation that does not have a national medical plan (people are scared to death of "socialized medicine" here so fight it, even though we pay 5x as much as everyone else in the world for way less health coverage and many people end up in bankruptcy because of the lack of health care). Also, college financial aid is difficult for most people in the middle class to qualify for (unlike most other nations) and there is virtually no "safety" net now for people who are unemployed long-term. Forget benefits that you're describing--that's "welfare," which people here abhor.

Also, unlike most other nations which provide at least four weeks of paid vacation each year, we don't get that either. People in the U.S. are lucky if they receive two weeks of paid vacation. And, for most of us, we work many more hours without additional compensation (they call it "exempt" or "salaried" status), too. I sometimes wish I had moved to Australia when I was younger. Our country really seems to be going downhill--but that's another discussion.

But shouldn't we have more self reliance? We should not have to depend on the government for anything.
Old 10-12-2014, 03:13 PM
Ledgie

Self-reliance is great--when there is an even playing field and there are decent jobs, opportunities for small businesses, and the economy is flourishing. Unfortunately, since so many industries have been outsources (which is great for the top 1% & large multinational corporations), most other countries provide a safety net for their citizens. In other countries, people do not worry about being homeless or needing health care because it's provided for everyone (If you pay taxes, you get something for them, instead of paying taxes and receiving very little--as most of us do now).
Old 10-12-2014, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsnFan4Ever View Post

Medicare in Australia allows people to receive free treatment at public hospitals. Anyone who earns above the tax free threshold (above $18000 p.a.) pays a 2% Medicare levy on their taxable income. It was 1.5% but the Gillard Labor Government increased it by 0.5% to help fund the National Disability Insurance Scheme. Many workers receive penalty rates for working weekends and public holidays or shift work: When I was 18 and working weekends washing dishes in a restaurant, I was paid $20 per hour and when I worked as a nursing assistant in a public hospital I once earned $600 for 20 hours work as I worked nights. I've heard that in America many restaurant employees don't earn above the Australian minimum wage ($16.87 per hour - although apprentices, trainees and people under 21 can legally be paid less) unless they receive tips.

As you said, all full-time workers here qualify for 4 weeks paid annual leave. I think sometimes that also comes with a 12.5% annual leave loading. Some shift workers, e.g. doctors, nurses, police qualify for 6 weeks paid annual leave to compensate them for the hassle of working irregular hours.

The college system in America is one I hope our politicians never try to emulate. Australian university and technical education (Diploma level) students can take out income-contingent loans - HECS-HELP or VET FEE-HELP loans. The government pays for your entire education upfront and you pay the loan back through the taxation system only once you start earning over $50000 p.a.

Another poster said that we shouldn't have to rely on the government for anything. I completely disagree. If that were true, why even have governments? Some people through no fault of their own, are born with chronic disease or disability. Some people are born healthy but acquire a disability later in life. The government should absolutely be supporting these people and their carers.

The fact is, most people who are successful, were genetically blessed or were born into favourable circumstances. I read an article about this -

http://www.smh.com.au/comment/no-cre...10-113qtg.html

As the writer says, think about it, is it really impressive that the upper-middle class son of a respected lawyer and business woman who was mates with the CEO of IBM founded Microsoft? The author is right - If a congenitally brain-damaged, impoverished, legless Bangladeshi had founded Microsoft, that would be impressive.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
interesting.

at the m&g in NYC, Mick reportedly said in response to question about their album that they have 27 (i think?) pieces recorded already (would that be 27 whole songs? can't remember?). after follow-up question on why did they not put that out already and what/who is holding the album, he was apparently pretty specific saying something like they need to get Stevie on board and she's not there yet.

so if they are not touring beyond june 2015, not doing Glasto (what?? that makes no sense! what is wrong with this band?), not working on the album as they have too many songs already but no balls to put it out without Stevie (apparently zillions they are making on this tour are not enough?) then what are they doing beyond june 2015??

what does "going on for a long time and bear much fruit" means then?

note that when Mick announced 20+ more dates at the Today show, audience showed next to no excitement about that. must have been a lot of hardcores there.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 10-12-2014, 11:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie is not on board. No surprise since she's never mentioned new music. Seriously Stevie, you can't freaking record 3 songs with the band? The band that made you famous? Christine is back. She's all right with the tour money though. I love Stevie, but the more I hear stuff like this my love is fading. Just the way it is.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDenimLamp View Post
I think the will do a fair number of dates in UK & Aus/Nz but I think the tour will run through August or September 2015.
I would be very surprised.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:09 AM
Ledgie

Quote:
I would be very surprised.
Surprised if they tour Aus/NZ or if they extend the tour past June, or both?