Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I've always felt they were like sister and brother personally
Yes, I think along those lines. Lindsey said something like their formative years taking them down the same path (parallel lines) even before they ever met and I feel that. Of course, I go a little off the deep end when I think of things like that and when he says that his mother signed him up for piano lessons and he wasn't interested I think to myself, "well, that's because you didn't have to be. There was already a piano out there for you, somewhere."

John once said, of all of them, that they were like sisters and brothers, a family, even if they don't see each other often, and it sounds like one of those polite things that a band member might say, but I actually took him at his word and believe that as a valid description.

And I don't even mean that in the lovey dovey way, but more in the inexorable, "I'm stuck with you, like it or not" kind of way. That person is always going to be part of my identity, even if they're kooky and maddening and my feelings for them are unconditional -- even if I'd like to hate them.

Michele
Old 09-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As for Stevie/Lindsey v. Lindsey/Christine, I'm very much a prodigal son type of person. I want most, what's lost. I've lost Christine and I want her back to feel whole. So, I kill the fatted calf for her and of Stevie and Lindsey I just think, "Oh them. They've already eaten."

But I love Stevie and Lindsey together very, very much. I just really prefer the 5 of them over Stevie, Lindsey, John and Mick any day of the week.

Michele
Old 09-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The band is a crazy, dysfunctional family, there's no going around it.

Yes, all 5 of them is better than four of them with one missing. Though I do wonder what would happen with a Fleetwood-McVie-McVie-Buckingham lineup though.

"What a f**king stupid shirt you're wearing." - Christine McVie
Old 09-05-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
As for Stevie/Lindsey v. Lindsey/Christine, I'm very much a prodigal son type of person. I want most, what's lost. I've lost Christine and I want her back to feel whole. So, I kill the fatted calf for her and of Stevie and Lindsey I just think, "Oh them. They've already eaten."

But I love Stevie and Lindsey together very, very much. I just really prefer the 5 of them over Stevie, Lindsey, John and Mick any day of the week.

Michele
I agree.. that magic is less potent with just 4... and we've eaten the SN/LB meals over and over (pun intended)... time to have LB/CM or CM/SN with our potatoes..
Old 09-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree.. that magic is less potent with just 4... and we've eaten the SN/LB meals over and over (pun intended)... time to have LB/CM or CM/SN with our potatoes..
mmm, sounds yummy.

Actually that's one more thing I wanted to see with the band, generally speaking - more collaborations with regards to songwriting.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applebucked View Post
mmm, sounds yummy.

Actually that's one more thing I wanted to see with the band, generally speaking - more collaborations with regards to songwriting.
I remember during Mirage interviews with Christine, she was talking about more interaction of writing. And her singing LB or SN tunes, and vice versa. I guess Hold Me was one of those examples.. And Straight Back, you get a lot of Christine.. Those are my fav. moments..
Old 09-05-2013, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember during Mirage interviews with Christine, she was talking about more interaction of writing. And her singing LB or SN tunes, and vice versa. I guess Hold Me was one of those examples.. And Straight Back, you get a lot of Christine.. Those are my fav. moments..
One of my favorites in terms of harmonies that demo of Oh Daddy with Stevie harmonies. That was fabulous. Wish Stevie and Christine wrote at least one song together, though.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, so I had a rather huge Christine/Lindsey kick today and posed a question on my Tumblr about what can happen if Stevie retired after The Dance instead of Christine. Here's my take on it:

Studio wise, I’d be highly interested where this would go because Lindsey and Christine work extremely well musically (Lindsey’s strengths are Christine’s weaknesses, and vice versa) and there won’t be as much “competition of egos” in the would be album.

This is going to take a huge blow in a live setting, however (because, ya know, Stevie gets butts in those seats). Stevie is basically a whole ‘nother level personality and presence-wise even when she isn’t twirling as much as she did before. And while Lindsey is an animal in stage, Chris isn’t exactly known for her stage presence so there’s the possiblity for it to turn into the Lindsey Buckingham show, with the kickass rhythm section (but maybe Chris would step into the frontline enough for this not to happen).

If you’re going to ask me if I’d see them in concert, if given the opportunity, hell to the yes. Especially since this most likely means smaller, more intimate venues that mean they could flex their artistic muscles more and be more flexible with setlists.

Honestly, though, from what I can interpret from various material from the SYW era about the musical relationship between Stevie and Lindsey, the Buckingham/C. McVie combo would most likely be talking more than fighting.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
This is going to take a huge blow in a live setting, however (because, ya know, Stevie gets butts in those seats).
I think it could have worked in 1987, when their new music was still relevant and the band name had more weight as creative (not oldies) unit. "Rumours" wasn't always brought up in interviews, and was definitely not the main focus of the interviews if it was brought up. Christine and Lindsey were at the top of their games on "Tango," but Stevie was pretty rough. "Tango" would have still been a hit without Stevie. I think Fleetwood Mac looking and sounding good and Stevie Nicks not so much would have made the parting of ways understandable in the public's eyes and the band could have survived. They would have had to continue ONLY as a quartet, though.

Today, the band is mostly synonymous with Stevie, and they've been playing up the drama of "Rumours" and the Stevie-Lindsey relationship for so long that I just don't see it working now without Stevie. But, I don't think Christine or Lindsey would want to do a project without her at this point.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-10-2013, 09:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Studio wise, I’d be highly interested where this would go because Lindsey and Christine work extremely well musically (Lindsey’s strengths are Christine’s weaknesses, and vice versa) and there won’t be as much “competition of egos” in the would be album.

This is going to take a huge blow in a live setting, however (because, ya know, Stevie gets butts in those seats). Stevie is basically a whole ‘nother level personality and presence-wise even when she isn’t twirling as much as she did before. And while Lindsey is an animal in stage, Chris isn’t exactly known for her stage presence so there’s the possiblity for it to turn into the Lindsey Buckingham show, with the kickass rhythm section (but maybe Chris would step into the frontline enough for this not to happen).
Yes, I'd definitely see them in concert, but what kind of venues would they be playing? Without Stevie, they aren't going to sell arena tickets. Which is fine -- for focused fans we'd probably get better music, if they played smaller places. I didn't get to see Christine's show live in 1984, but I do have the video album and it does tend to wane. It would be interesting to see if she and Lindsey could combine to do something more exhilarating than that on stage by themselves.

But really my wish is that Christine just record with the band (if she does, Stevie will too, automatically, but I'm not interested in whether Stevie records with them, any longer if Chris is there) and then Lindsey and Stevie tour. Best of both worlds. One DVD with Christine would be nice, but I'm not asking for her to go on the road again. It could easily work with her just recording. Stevie performing live. No need to play newly recorded Christine songs in concert.

Michele
Old 09-10-2013, 10:02 PM

I think if she recorded with them, she might be interested in doing 5 shows in big cities to promote the album and DVD. It could be quite lucrative for them.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I think it could have worked in 1987, when their new music was still relevant and the band name had more weight as creative (not oldies) unit. "Rumours" wasn't always brought up in interviews, and was definitely not the main focus of the interviews if it was brought up. Christine and Lindsey were at the top of their games on "Tango," but Stevie was pretty rough. "Tango" would have still been a hit without Stevie. I think Fleetwood Mac looking and sounding good and Stevie Nicks not so much would have made the parting of ways understandable in the public's eyes and the band could have survived. They would have had to continue ONLY as a quartet, though.

Today, the band is mostly synonymous with Stevie, and they've been playing up the drama of "Rumours" and the Stevie-Lindsey relationship for so long that I just don't see it working now without Stevie. But, I don't think Christine or Lindsey would want to do a project without her at this point.
Somehow, I wish that happened during Tango instead of Lindsey leaving them in a lurch like that. Because I made a playlist of Tango replacing all of Stevie's songs with some B-Sides, and it makes for a better album. Rumours is a double-edged sword, isn't it? While without that album, they wouldn't have made it big, that album also stifled them creatively especially in the recent years. Those turmoil happened god knows how many years ago, and it's hard to recapture the magic now since they're all in different places in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Yes, I'd definitely see them in concert, but what kind of venues would they be playing? Without Stevie, they aren't going to sell arena tickets. Which is fine -- for focused fans we'd probably get better music, if they played smaller places. I didn't get to see Christine's show live in 1984, but I do have the video album and it does tend to wane. It would be interesting to see if she and Lindsey could combine to do something more exhilarating than that on stage by themselves.

But really my wish is that Christine just record with the band (if she does, Stevie will too, automatically, but I'm not interested in whether Stevie records with them, any longer if Chris is there) and then Lindsey and Stevie tour. Best of both worlds. One DVD with Christine would be nice, but I'm not asking for her to go on the road again. It could easily work with her just recording. Stevie performing live. No need to play newly recorded Christine songs in concert.
Arenas are definitely out of the question, there's not going around it. I'm imagining theaters, or clubs. Theaters are especially nice since even if they need to charge a bit more (but not as much as now, probably) they could make up for that with better music and a more eclectic setlist. I'm sure Lindsey or even Chris to a certain extent wanted to play some of those tunes that hardly or even never saw the light of day on stage (honestly speaking I have an aversion towards large venues regardless of artist. so much stimulation around).

But a new album with the five of them is more than enough to make me happy, regardless if Christine wants to tour or not.

Quote:
I think if she recorded with them, she might be interested in doing 5 shows in big cities to promote the album and DVD. It could be quite lucrative for them.
They can do a short tour (not more than 30 dates worldwide. maybe Christine can do like 5-10 of those dates, dunno if she's willing to do more), do a DVD of three complete concerts with three different setlists (greatest hits, new album, deep cuts) coinciding with a new album, release them, and kaching, kaching, kaching. That way, they get to promote stuff, give fewer performances of greater quality (saves their voices and their bodies), and Christine does not have to travel/fly much. The trade off is that less people get to see them, but if we get complete concerts, that can more than make up for it. Maybe they can throw in some backstage footage if they so choose.

Maybe a mix of venues would be nice too. Not digging the all-arena venues of this tour.

Last edited by applebucked; 09-11-2013 at 03:17 AM..
Old 03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

(cropped from photo posted here http://instagram.com/normanseeff - http://instagram.com/p/iFPjgUkLHy/ - check out also http://normanseeff.com/)

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Mmmmm. Nice hair and is her other hand nestled beneath Lindsey's, covered in the crook of his elbow?

Michele
Old 03-19-2014, 10:36 PM
Senior Ledgie

Well, at one point she definitely had a crush on him, and recently admitted that 'Over My Head' was a tribute "to the gorgeousness that was Lindsey". I don't know how long that crush lasted, but they've always seemed fond of each other, and she's the only person who Lindsey took seriously on a musical level. "Had I gone there I probably would have been over my head" lol love her.