The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Was "Oh Diane" released as a single in the U.S. or only overseas?
Old 06-27-2012, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
Was "Oh Diane" released as a single in the U.S. or only overseas?
It was the fourth single in the US. but flopped here and made the UK top 10..go figure.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think it's largely that five-tone pattern that Lindsey wrote and played. It's a powerful hook in that it gets inside your head and stays there for the rest of your life.

The Oriental Five-Tone phase Lindsey is in on Tango in the Night started back in 1981 with Gypsy.
Yes, plus the sparkling guitar solo at the end.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Hold Me received a lot of airplay in the States. Straight Back was, is and will always be my favorite song on the album but it was only fair to release a song by Lindsey next. It's a shame it turned out to be Oh Diane. That song destroyed the momentum of the wave the group was riding on at that time. I know some Ledgies like that song, though I particularly thought EOTW would have been a better choice. That was the one they performed in concert as well.
Many loathe Oh Diane. I'm one of them. But I can see why it was released as a single in the UK in the early 80s. It resembles The Kinks' "Come Dancing," which was also a big hit in the UK at that time. Other UK groups were coming out with 50s send ups. It was oddly marketable at that particular time.

Regarding any other possible Lindsey singles from Mirage, I suppose "Book of Love" would have been the most potentially radio friendly song. Eyes of the World is, I think, his best, but it was too "hard" for pop and too quirky for rock stations. Goodbye Angel would have made a decent single.

But nothing on Mirage is as commercially viable as Trouble from Law and Order.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is what Mick wrote in his book about the Mirage...

We arrived as the sun was rising on the day we were to actually begin recording. As we drove down the sixteenth-century chateau's long tree-lined lane, Richard and I marveled that no sooner had we laid the whole African chapter to rest that it was time to begin yet another era, with scarcely pause for breath. We pulled up into the drive, looked up, and saw Stevie Nicks peering out of the ancient leaded-glass window of the chateau, looking like Queen Guinevere in the misty early light. It was as if she were waiting for us, being the dawn-type lady that she is.

It turned out that the writers had some splendid new music together, and recording was fun. Le Chateau, the "Honky Chateau" of Elton John fame, was a muchfavored studio of Euro-rock aristocracy private, very red mantle, with great food and stupendous ambience. (We had it redecorated for the girls, spending the usual pile.) Plus it wasn't too far from Paris. So into Paris I'd go, with our crew member Dennis Keen. One morning on the way back from one of these forays, we passed a stable and I decided I had to ride the remaining distance to the chateau through the ancient fog-shrouded countryside. So I got this big grey mare, took a long pull from my everpresent silver flask of good cognac, and rode home, and then right up the stone steps of the house's main entrance. Quelle scandale! Amidst a grand to-do, Stevie swept down the big staircase, leapt on the back of my horse, and cantered off through the greening orchards, her long cape billowing behind her.

Mirage, the album we recorded in France, was an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated. Chris's songs, especially "Hold Me," reflected her bit tersweet reflections on her relationship with D ennis Wilson, which had almost resulted in marriage but had ended instead the previous December, when Dennis had moved out of Chris's house and her life. ..... "Hold Me" was a great song, and became the first hit single of the new album.

Stevie's songs including the utterly majestic "Gypsy" were what she had saved for us after recording her first album, Bella Donna, which was about to sell ten million copies and make Miss Nicks the Queen of Rock. Some leftover! "Gypsy" is one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest works of art; for me it really crystallises that whole period of the early 1980s, when we were in our mid-thirties and beginning to look back on our lost youth.

Lindsey Buckingham had also been recording a solo project, which became the Law and Order album. He arrived in France with two good songs, "Can't Go Back" and "Eyes of the World. " Three others, "Book of Love," "Empire State," and "Oh Diane," were written with Richard Dashut at the chateau and in the three other studios in L.A. where Mirage was wrapped up over the next seven months. Tired of being typecast as the archetypal northern California hippie, Lindsey had now veered from his New Wave sound into a 1955 Eddie Cochrane rock and roll feel. (I remember some semitense conversations on musical direction in this era, as Lindsey still felt that I blamed him for the relatively weak sales of Tusk. I thought we should do what we do best, and insisted on doing this album as a band. This time, the whole band played on almost every track; then Chris, Lindsey, and I spent months in the studio, overdubbing in typical Fleetwood Mac fashion.)
Old 06-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villavic View Post
This is what Mick wrote in his book about the Mirage...

[...] Mirage, the album we recorded in France, was an attempt to get into the Rumours groove again, but updated. Chris's songs, especially "Hold Me," reflected her bit tersweet reflections on her relationship with D ennis Wilson, which had almost resulted in marriage but had ended instead the previous December, when Dennis had moved out of Chris's house and her life. ..... "Hold Me" was a great song, and became the first hit single of the new album.

Stevie's songs including the utterly majestic "Gypsy" were what she had saved for us after recording her first album, Bella Donna, which was about to sell ten million copies and make Miss Nicks the Queen of Rock. Some leftover! "Gypsy" is one of Fleetwood Mac's greatest works of art; for me it really crystallises that whole period of the early 1980s, when we were in our mid-thirties and beginning to look back on our lost youth.

Lindsey Buckingham had also been recording a solo project, which became the Law and Order album. He arrived in France with two good songs, "Can't Go Back" and "Eyes of the World. " Three others, "Book of Love," "Empire State," and "Oh Diane," were written with Richard Dashut at the chateau and in the three other studios in L.A. where Mirage was wrapped up over the next seven months. Tired of being typecast as the archetypal northern California hippie, Lindsey had now veered from his New Wave sound into a 1955 Eddie Cochrane rock and roll feel. (I remember some semitense conversations on musical direction in this era, as Lindsey still felt that I blamed him for the relatively weak sales of Tusk. I thought we should do what we do best, and insisted on doing this album as a band. This time, the whole band played on almost every track; then Chris, Lindsey, and I spent months in the studio, overdubbing in typical Fleetwood Mac fashion.)
Wow, amazing quotes, Gracias Villavic!!
As Mick said, Gypsy is one of the most beautiful marvels of Fleetwood Mac, even if we're talking about the 70s, the 80s or even the 90s of the band...
Was Stevie keeping the song specially for the new album, or was there any chance to include it before on Bella Donna?

Hold Me was quickly a hit, but as I know Gypsy, maybe the most popular song of Mirage over here, I thought it was the second hit...and Lindsey's songs??

Thanks to Eddie Cochrane and all the things Lindsey used to change his style!! All his songs in Mirage are amazing!! (yes, Empire State too!). But, I'm not convinced with the idea that Lindsey's only hit was Oh Diane. So, why he only played Eyes of the World??

Regards!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
But, I'm not convinced with the idea that Lindsey's only hit was Oh Diane. So, why he only played Eyes of the World??
You might find it interesting that Don't Stop was rarely performed on the Rumours Tour but always performed on the Tusk Tour. When the Mac were in rehearsals for the Mirage Tour, Oh Diane wasn't even known as a possible single at that point. I don't know this as fact but it sounds good when typed.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
You might find it interesting that Don't Stop was rarely performed on the Rumours Tour but always performed on the Tusk Tour. When the Mac were in rehearsals for the Mirage Tour, Oh Diane wasn't even known as a possible single at that point. I don't know this as fact but it sounds good when typed.
Actually in an interview a few weeks before Mirage was released it was either in Rolling Stone or RS off the record ,Lindsey when asked about Mirage stated that Christine had some well crafted songs on there and one of mine is very commerical ,very Beach Boys so at least in his mind it was going to be a single.The reason I likely recall the interview verbatim though is because he didn't say a mumbling word about any of Stevie's Mirage songs.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually very much like Oh Diane, always have. I also prefer the Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits UK/European CD better than the US, as it includes Oh Diane and Seven Wonders. Sure the UK version dropped Over My Head, but easily added to the Playlist.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, I'm not convinced with the idea that Lindsey's only hit was Oh Diane. So, why he only played Eyes of the World??
Back in 1982.. the only Lindsey song from Mirage I remember they played in (peruvian) radios was... Oh D.. NO! It was.. Eyes of t... NO!

It was "Can't Go Back"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
I also prefer the Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits UK/European CD better than the US, as it includes Oh Diane and Seven Wonders. Sure the UK version dropped Over My Head, but easily added to the Playlist.
I agree
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Besides EOTW, I thought Lindsey's single should have been Empire State, but after reading all of macshadowballs' polls I've come to learn that I'm the only Ledgie that likes that song.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Besides EOTW, I thought Lindsey's single should have been Empire State, but after reading all of macshadowballs' polls I've come to learn that I'm the only Ledgie that likes that song.
You are not alone. I do like the song, but I think Can't Go Back and Eyes of the World are better. That wouldn't be a reason to say ES sucks, of course. I also like Family Man (another non grata song by many ledgies).

I probably disagree with many ledgies opinions about songs. For example my fave album is not Tusk, but Rumours. And I'm not a fan of Beautiful Child. don't know who agree with me about this but I'm sure I'm not alone either.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey, I like Empire State too!! Also Family Man, and the feelings about Beautiful Child are the same...

Well, Oh Diane is a beautiful song, I really like it, and Can't Go Back and EOTW sounded well, but I totally agree with aleuzzi; Book Of Love would have been a big radio song. I couldn't forget it!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok so Fleetwood Mac should make sure they do not have Beautiful Child in the set list on the South American leg of their next tour.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I totally agree with aleuzzi; Book Of Love would have been a big radio song. I couldn't forget it!
Yes!
There are lot of songs from several bands, never released as singles and I always wonder why. They could have been hits! Who choose the songs to be singles? The bands? Radios? Record companies?