Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

My favorite FM album cover is Mirage. I love the album! It's hard to believe sometimes that 1982 can be 30 years ago!
Old 06-25-2012, 07:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post

This is one of the best band pics ever. I wish it were the cover of the album.
I love this pic too...always have.

But I am completely kooky-obsessed with this one, always have:
Old 06-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post

But I am completely kooky-obsessed with this one, always have:
I think it was a very nice rendering by Lindsey and I like to imagine what it says about his view of the band. In fact, it's something that more people should ask him to sign in concert.

Michele
Old 06-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gypsy

Its interesting to me how much of an impact "Gypsy" seemed to have on Mac fans at the time. It's one of those songs where the eventual impact of it has made it a bigger "hit" than it actually was at the time. I bet most people would assume "Gypsy" was a top 10 hit, but it actually did worse chart-wise than "Rhiannon", "Dreams", or "Sara" had.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabruns View Post
Its interesting to me how much of an impact "Gypsy" seemed to have on Mac fans at the time. It's one of those songs where the eventual impact of it has made it a bigger "hit" than it actually was at the time. I bet most people would assume "Gypsy" was a top 10 hit, but it actually did worse chart-wise than "Rhiannon", "Dreams", or "Sara" had.
You are totally right about this. I will add, however, that even back then I was surprised that "Gypsy" didn't make the Top 10 because I heard it on the radio ALL THE TIME, and of course MTV loved the video. Maybe the Vegas radio stations just had their own little love affair with Stevie, because as often as I heard "If Anyone Falls" and "Nightbird" the following year, I thought both of them would have charted higher as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInNV View Post
You are totally right about this. I will add, however, that even back then I was surprised that "Gypsy" didn't make the Top 10 because I heard it on the radio ALL THE TIME, and of course MTV loved the video. Maybe the Vegas radio stations just had their own little love affair with Stevie, because as often as I heard "If Anyone Falls" and "Nightbird" the following year, I thought both of them would have charted higher as well.
I feel like so many (regular) people know Gypsy (even people that weren't alive at the time, aka my generation) and I hear so many non-hardcore FM fans say it's their favorite song. Weird it happens like that, despite it not being necessarily a total chart-topper.

Music video plays don't have anything to do with chart numbers, do they? That might have something to do with it, because it still would expose a lot of people to the song.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy played constantly on both radio & MTV at that time in OZ, Im pretty sure that was the only song that got airplay from Mirage... Straight Back should of been the next single released imo
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanne2 View Post
Here are the other outtakes:
Thank you for this pic, Sanne! I didn't have it!
Chris is too beautiful in this photo session. And in 1982 she was breathtaking (she had begun to "breathe again" after what she had suffered from the previous three years)

Happy 30th Birthday, Mirage! This album is almost as old as me
I love all the songs in it, but my favs are Hold me and Gypsy. And I still can't believe that when the Mirage tour ended, I was..uh...somewhere in the air. So this album for me is very special. Thanks, Fleetwood Mac

Last edited by Chris_Lover; 06-26-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I feel like so many (regular) people know Gypsy (even people that weren't alive at the time, aka my generation) and I hear so many non-hardcore FM fans say it's their favorite song. Weird it happens like that, despite it not being necessarily a total chart-topper.
I think it's largely that five-tone pattern that Lindsey wrote and played. It's a powerful hook in that it gets inside your head and stays there for the rest of your life.

The Oriental Five-Tone phase Lindsey is in on Tango in the Night started back in 1981 with Gypsy.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think it's largely that five-tone pattern that Lindsey wrote and played. It's a powerful hook in that it gets inside your head and stays there for the rest of your life.

The Oriental Five-Tone phase Lindsey is in on Tango in the Night started back in 1981 with Gypsy.
Yep, it really is infectious.

Gotta love that pentatonic.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie W/Heart View Post
Gypsy played constantly on both radio & MTV at that time in OZ, Im pretty sure that was the only song that got airplay from Mirage... Straight Back should of been the next single released imo
Hold Me received a lot of airplay in the States. Straight Back was, is and will always be my favorite song on the album but it was only fair to release a song by Lindsey next. It's a shame it turned out to be Oh Diane. That song destroyed the momentum of the wave the group was riding on at that time. I know some Ledgies like that song, though I particularly thought EOTW would have been a better choice. That was the one they performed in concert as well.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm not sure if here in Italy "Gypsy" was well known as in the US (and UK), but I'm sure MTV and italian radio stations often aired it in 1982/1983. Maybe my mum remembers this song (she remembers "Dreams"!)
Old 06-26-2012, 01:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Hold Me received a lot of airplay in the States. Straight Back was, is and will always be my favorite song on the album but it was only fair to release a song by Lindsey next. It's a shame it turned out to be Oh Diane. That song destroyed the momentum of the wave the group was riding on at that time. I know some Ledgies like that song, though I particularly thought EOTW would have been a better choice. That was the one they performed in concert as well.
When you put it like that, I wonder what Lindsey thought should be his single. He may have been thinking EOTW too. Maybe he thought that was his GYOW. I know he made wry comments about the record companies choosing Did You Miss Me as his single recently. Maybe he felt that way about Oh Diane as well. He certainly was never interested in playing Diane in concert.

Michele
Old 06-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I just wanted to create it today, but I format my laptop and had to reinstall Photoshop, so I add it now..

Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Definitely agree Oh Diane was a poor choice for a follow up single, even though i would like to believe Lindsey perhaps wrote that song after i meet him on the bus that day.LOL
regards
Di