User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-22-2023, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
WE know more about the band than "the experts", especially when it comes to a 48yo album. Do you think he's been debating crap about a dinosaur band for the past 48 years?

LOL
Old 09-22-2023, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
If I'm right, I think the band may have originaly mimed this "live" on a satellite link on a programme called the Late Late Breakfast Show which was hosted, as older UK ledgies will know by the perennially smug and annoying Noel Edmonds. I think the performance was then re-shown on Top of the Pops with the palpably uninterested audience dancing as if they were at a wake.

The whole thing is terrible, without the saving grace of it being comically so; I just wish every copy of this could be flung into a back hole. Lindsey just looking daggers at everything is kind of weird. He's almost annoyed by how handsome he is.

EDIT- yes I was right - here's an unimpressed John Peel introducing it on TOTP referring to it being from the Late Late Breakfast Show, which had gone out live. This would explain why the miming was so terrible, as they couldn't do another take as they were "miming live" in the US in a programme that went out live in the UK. I hope that makes sense..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzUNatFmvhw

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 09-22-2023 at 03:45 PM..
Old 09-22-2023, 03:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
If I'm right, I think the band may have originaly mimed this "live" on a satellite link on programme called the Late Late Breakfast Show which was hosted, as older UK ledgies will know by the perennially smug and annoying Noel Edmonds. I think the performance was then re-shown on Top of the Pops with the palpably uninterested audience dancing as if they were at a wake.

The whole thing is terrible, without the saving grace of it being comically so; I just wish every copy of this could be flung into a back hole. Lindsey just looking daggers at everything is kind of weird. He's almost annoyed by how handsome is.

EDIT- yes I was right - here's an unimpressed John Peel introducing it on TOTP referring to it being from the Late Late Breakfast Show, which had gone out live. This would explain why the miming was so terrible, as they couldn't do another take as they were "miming live" in the US in a programme that went out live in the UK. I hope that makes sense..

Totally makes sense. The Mac did such a short US tour it would be strange to fly all the way to the UK just to mime Oh Diane.

Someone remind me again. Hold Me and Gypsy never charted in the UK but this was a hit?

Tell me WHY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWTdEe5H6BA
Old 09-22-2023, 03:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Gypsy did get to #46 in the UK, Can't go back got to #83, and Hold Me did get to #94 in 1989- it was released as a single from the Greatest Hits album - with No Questions Asked as the B-side

https://www.officialcharts.com/artis...fleetwood-mac/

https://www.discogs.com/release/2271...od-Mac-Hold-Me
Old 09-22-2023, 03:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think the performance was then re-shown on Top of the Pops with the palpably uninterested audience dancing as if they were at a wake.

The whole thing is terrible, without the saving grace of it being comically so; I just wish every copy of this could be flung into a back hole. Lindsey just looking daggers at everything is kind of weird. He's almost annoyed by how handsome is.

Wow, you said pretty much everything I was thinking. The audience dancing to this song… well, they certainly gave it their best shot. It’s not their fault the song is so bad.

Sounds like this was another Lindsey solo song where he played all the instruments and none of the other members played on it. Poor Lindsey is completely constrained to the mic because it’s not live, and his lip syncing at the end is hilariously awful. I’m surprised Stevie even bothered to show up, but at least she didn’t mug for the camera as much like she was known to do. John only looked irritated at one point, the rest of the time, his game face was on. Good for Christine for sitting down LOL!

Maybe they got paid good money for this ‘performance?’
Old 09-22-2023, 03:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christine miming “Diiiane” always made me crack up. She knew it was cringe.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-22-2023, 04:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christine miming “Diiiane” always made me crack up. She knew it was cringe.
I hear it as dyiiin'.They truly were dying out there.

Surely with a bit of work they could have delivered something truly live. But I suppose they were trying to flog a studio record so that's what they ended up doing. They never did play "Oh Diane" live on the Mirage tour did they, which tells us a lot. I get that Lindsey may have wanted to pay tribute to the kind of innocent songs he would have heard as a boy in the 50s, but it doesn't really work either as a pastiche or an original. Jeremy would have done it much better!
Old 09-22-2023, 04:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I hear it as dyiiin'.They truly were dying out there.
Hard LOL!!!

Quote:
Jeremy would have done it much better!
It totally sounds like a song from his solo album or Kiln House.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 09-22-2023, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Hard LOL!!!

It totally sounds like a song from his solo album or Kiln House.
I love Jeremy's version of Mission Bell. It's the antidote to Oh Diane.
Old 09-24-2023, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1950’s throwbacks like Shakin’ Stevens were quite a thing at that time in the UK….so I sort of understand why they released it and why it was pretty successful. Still a curious choice though.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood