User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by missundercover View Post
Didn't know where to post this, but... got the FM newsletter regarding the upcoming privacy changes.

What picture did they use? A full band picture including Lindsey. Go figure.
I got that yesterday and emailed them back with "Seriously guys??" Not sure if the mailbox is managed, but couldn't believe they sent that picture out. It was heartbreaking to see it.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Didn't know where to post this, but... got the FM newsletter regarding the upcoming privacy changes.

Their marketing department aren't dummies - they know what sells and what doesn't and the public at large isn't really buying Finnwood Mike.

Old 05-24-2018, 04:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

They haven't changed the picture on their Apple Music page yet either.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brown View Post
Their marketing department aren't dummies
I'm really not sure about that
Old 05-24-2018, 06:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
I'm really not sure about that
You're right, I should have corrected my comment to THIS marketing department ...

The point is the same though - the Rumours lineup is what sells.

Anyone working on Post-Rumours line-up promotional campaigns has their work cut out for them.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:59 AM
SisterNightroad
This message has been deleted by SisterNightroad.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:00 AM
SisterNightroad
This message has been deleted by SisterNightroad.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:03 AM

The 10 Best Musical Moments in The Americans

Don’t dream it’s over. The Americans concluded its gut-wrenching run on Wednesday night, but as that Crowded House standout from the season-six premiere illustrated, the FX drama used pop music the way Philip and Elizabeth Jennings used wigs: frequently, and to powerful effect. Over the course of six seasons, showrunners Joe Weisberg and Joel Fields and music supervisors P.J. Bloom and Amanda Krieg Thomas created a blend of huge hits and deep cuts, deployed them with both irony and sincerity, and used them with equal skill in everything from suspense sequences to slice-of-life montages. In an era when many shows feel like televised playlists, The Americans was more like an old-fashioned mixtape you might find in Paige’s Walkman. Below, you’ll find the best of the best. Turn it up loud.

10. Phil Collins, “In the Air Tonight” (Season 1, Episode 1)

Explicit sexuality. Unflinching brutality. Emotionally charged moments in parked cars at night. Thoughtful use of Big ’80s music, doubling as references to Big ’80s dramas. Gated reverb. Virtually all of The Americans’ signature sonic and subject-matter staples are present in the pilot episode’s use of Phil Collins’s immortal air-drumming smash. True, the execution is comparatively broad in light of the show’s later subtlety and austerity; it’s hard to imagine a “sex and death, am I right, people?” musical montage in season six. But the chemistry between future IRL couple Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys, the bravado behind repurposing a soundtrack standout from Risky Business and Miami Vice (the pilot episode of Miami Vice, no less!), and, of course, the sheer sparse strength of the song itself made this sequence a well-deserved talking point in the series’ early, buzzworthy days.

9. Yaz, “Only You” (Season 3, Episode 4) / Pink Floyd, unspecified (Season 3, Episode 6)

The Ballad(s) of Jim and Kimmy. Along with Peter Gabriel, Fleetwood Mac, and Roxy Music (don’t touch that dial, music fans!), Vince Clarke and Alison Moyet’s synth-soul duo Yaz — that’s Yazoo to us Yanks — were one of The Americans’ go-to artists. They were never employed better than when poor infatuated teenager Kimmy Breland played the group’s gorgeous love song “Only You” to “Jim,” the hipster weed-dealer alter ego Philip employs to gain access to her CIA father’s house. Sweet but never saccharine, it suits the dancing-in-the-moonlight ambience of the scene perfectly.

“Jim” returns the favor a few episodes later, with a truly brilliant non-music cue: Placing headphones on the ears of a very stoned Kimmy, he plays her an unnamed song by Pink Floyd, the mind-expanding beauty of which we’re left to imagine through watching the blissed-out expressions on the face of actor Julia Garner, then 21 and already a formidable talent. The heart of Kimmy and Jim’s relationship was a dark one, and it only got darker when she returned for the final season. But in these two scenes, Kimmy’s need to be acknowledged and understood, Philip’s desire to do right by a teenage girl while failing his own, and the power of music to transport and delight shine through anyway.

8. Bauhaus, “Slice of Life” (Season 5, Episode 10)

From the Cure to Echo and the Bunnymen to Fad Gadget (!), The Americans was never afraid to goth it up. The creatures of the night really got their moment with this eerie, arpeggiated nightmare of a song from the genre’s vampiric progenitors, Bauhaus. The horror-movie atmosphere so beloved by the band is a dead-on match for the tone of the scene itself, set in the red-black darkroom where Philip, Elizabeth, and Paige develop the photos of her mentor Pastor Tim’s diary, and read together as he describes the parents’ use of their daughter to maintain their life of lies as a form of abuse. You won’t hear this song on any “Sounds of the ’80” radio stations; The Americans exhumed it like a secret, or a grave.

7. Eddie Rabbitt, “Drivin’ My Life Away” (Season 6, Episode 4)

Throughout its six-season run, The Americans frequently depicted the passage of time — or its failure to pass quickly enough — with what I came to think of as “same ****, different day” musical montages. These sequences tended to employ songs that were a bit nostalgic, a bit twangy, or both: Roxy Music’s “End of the Line,” say, or Elton John’s “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road.” Eddie Rabbitt’s 1980 country-pop crossover is the best of that bunch, sliding so smoothly into a montage that juxtaposes Elizabeth’s spycraft, Paige’s experiment with a honey-trap-esque sexual encounter, and Philip’s gleefully goofy line-dancing outing with the folks from his travel agency. Unlike the song’s narrator, a roadie who’s sick of the touring life, Philip managed to get out of his grueling career, at least for a while. But as his wife and daughter continue their psychically damaging subterfuge, and as his own travel agency business fails, the song becomes the sound of Philip fiddling while Rome (or Nashville) burns.

6. Roxy Music, “More Than This” (Season 5, Episode 3)

Sometimes The Americans used pop music to comment or complement, but this time it used pop music to mock. Kicked off by Phil Manzanera’s breezily confident guitar and launched into the rhapsodic, romantic stratosphere by Bryan Ferry’s crooning vocals, this ultraluxe Roxy Music hit first appears … over the sound system at a bowling alley, adding to the phony good cheer of the Jennings’ fraudulent family outing with a Soviet defector. It returns with a vengeance the moment after one of the series’ most vicious murders, when Elizabeth helps Philip snap the spine of a lab technician they blame for involvement in an insect-bioweapon project that turns out to be bogus. The juxtaposition of the shimmering sound and the horrific action echoes the lyrics of the song itself, which could be either a declaration of all-consuming love or a cry of existential despair, depending on your mood. Playing Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love” as Philip murks a guy on a bus got way more attention, but this is the series’ definitive murder-ballad moment.

5. Peter Schilling, “Major Tom (Coming Home)” (Season 4, Episode 9)

With “In the Air Tonight,” The Americans had already repurposed one of the most famous TV needle drops of all time before its first episode ended. With “Major Tom,” the show set its sights on a much more recent musical moment: the goofball pathos of poor Gale Boetticher, Breaking Bad’s karaoke-loving chemist. But like the song itself — a sort of unauthorized musical fanfic for David Bowie’s “Space Oddity” and “Ashes to Ashes” — the gutsy play paid off. The soaring song accompanies one of the lowest moments in Elizabeth’s espionage career as she drugs and pretends to have slept with the husband of her friend Young-Hee, with Paige taking her first flight behind the wheel of the family car. It’s a layered, lovely, and utterly heartbreaking choice.

4. U2, “With or Without You” (Season 6, Episode 10)

If you’re gonna go home, you might as well go big. For its equivalent of The Sopranos’ “Don’t Stop Believin’” sendoff, The Americans selected an even bigger anthem, and one with a much better critical pedigree than Journey’s tune had at the time. (The past ten years or so have dimmed U2’s star, but for God’s sake don’t let that ruin The Joshua Tree for you.) I’ll be honest: This song means a lot to me, more than almost any television show can bear. Plus, using a song with this big a preexisting cultural footprint is always a creatively risky proposition; The Americans already shot for the moon and missed when it played “Under Pressure” in order to demonstrate that the show’s characters were, you guessed it, under pressure. All that, plus the slightly wonky elongation of the song’s running time, prevents me from getting behind it as much as I otherwise might.

But when producer Brian Eno’s synthesized drum beat and twinkling keyboards first kick in? When when Bono’s tear-down-the-sky “ohhhhhhhh” kicks in, as Philip and Elizabeth see Paige standing on the platform as their train pulls away, never to see her again? What am I, made of stone? Keri Russell’s shock-widened eyes in that single moment alone merit music this massive. The song will always be its own thing for me, but after six seasons as strong as this show delivered, it’s okay for it to be The Americans’ thing too.

3. Fleetwood Mac, “The Chain” (Season 3, Episode 7: “Walter Taffet”)

The Americans used the Mac both before (stay tuned!) and after this astonishing suspense sequence, but it’s the way they used it here that’s so striking. Inside one of the notoriously tempestuous band’s most aggressive songs about its interpersonal romantic catastrophes — ironically, the only Mac song written by all five core members — was a James Bond or Peter Gunn theme waiting to get out, and this episode set it free. As Philip and Elizabeth lead a mission to abduct an agent of apartheid South Africa, Mick Fleetwood’s drum beat becomes a ticking time bomb. Lindsey Buckingham’s guitar sounds like a coded signal. And the vocal duel between former lovers Buckingham and Stevie Nicks, with Christine McVie riding shotgun, erupts like a triggered alarm. It all fits the white-knuckle action so perfectly that it makes one of the biggest classic-rock radio hits of all time sound like it was written with this sequence in mind.

2. Peter Gabriel, “We Do What We’re Told (Milgram’s 37)” (Season 6, Episode 1)

His former Genesis bandmate Phil Collins got a brighter spotlight, but no artist did more to establish the sound and overall emotional tone of The Americans than Peter Gabriel. His songs — “Games Without Frontiers,” “Here Comes the Flood,” and “Lay Your Hands on Me” among them — appeared more frequently on the show than anyone else’s, and the selections emphasized his austere art-rock side rather than pop colossi like “Sledgehammer” or “In Your Eyes.” As the show itself grew colder and harsher, it seemed to age into the template Gabriel established when he first went solo decades earlier. By the time it used “We Do What We’re Told” in the premiere of its final season, it had gnawed its characters down to the bone.

In this particular case, the person being subjected to a live emotional autopsy is Elizabeth. She’s just received instructions from a rogue wing of the KGB to thwart the arms-reduction negotiations taking place between the Reagan regime and Mikhail Gorbachev’s reformists — and to kill herself by swallowing a poison pill if she gets caught. The song that follows her journey home from this rendezvous is an excruciating tone poem about the grim mock-electrocution experiment conducted by Yale psychologist Stanley Milgram: Participants applied what appeared to be lethal shocks to agonized victims, demonstrating that Americans would use the “just following orders” excuse to commit atrocities as readily as any Nazi would. This is Elizabeth’s Milgram moment, long overdue. The gray swoosh and scrape of Gabriel’s grim song — which receives a response of sorts when Tears for Fears’ sonically similar “Ideas As Opiates” accompanies Philip’s first moves against his own wife later in the season — is her moral morass in musical form.

1. Fleetwood Mac - “Tusk” (Season 1, Episode 1)

Number one, without question, full stop. “Tusk” was more than just a music cue: It was everyone’s introduction to The Americans, by way of an audacious eight-minute remix that ran throughout the pilot’s jaw-dropping opening espionage sequence. And what a first impression it made. I’ll go to my grave insisting that critics saying, “Wow, I don’t care what it did to Fleetwood Mac’s sales’ figures, ‘Tusk’ is a really good song!” upon watching this rep-making mini-thriller, played as much of a role in the show’s early acclaim as any single other factor. Hell, I’ll go even further: By taking one of the Mac’s most maligned numbers — treated as a punch line even by people who like the song — and using it to fuel filmmaking this self-confident, The Americans helped secure the band’s place in the critical firmament once and for all. It’s a virtuous feedback loop, in which the ragged glory of Lindsey Buckingham’s percussive and menacing experiment makes the action feel unpredictable and exciting, and the intensity of the suspense makes the song feel like an absolute juggernaut. The song shapes how you view the show, which shapes how you hear the song, and on and on and on. Simultaneously transformative of the original song and in perfect harmony with its fractious energy, it’s the Platonic ideal of how live-action drama and preexisting pop work together — a team effort worthy of Elizabeth and Philip themselves.

http://www.vulture.com/article/the-a...l-moments.html
Old 06-02-2018, 10:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Now I feel I need to go watch the opening scene of this series.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:55 PM

Billboard 200 Chart Moves: Fleetwood Mac's 'Very Best Of' Album Surpasses 2 Million Sold

— Fleetwood Mac, The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac – No. 145 — The band’s The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac compilation surpasses 2 million copies sold in the U.S., as the hits package sold another 2,000 copies in the week ending June 14, bringing its overall sales total to just over 2 million. The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac peaked at No. 12 in 2002, and is one of the act’s 11 top 40-charting efforts on the tally.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...00-chart-moves
Old 06-23-2018, 03:12 PM

This Golden-Voiced Arkansas Park Ranger Sings Her Backcountry Tips
Park ranger Lauren Hall eschews the info-laden pamphlet for solid covers of pop songs to get important info to park visitors.

You know the Fleetwood Mac song “Dreams,” right? Turns out, it’s an excellent base for a cover song about proper rafting along the Buffalo River in Ponca, Arkansas. As a kind of public service announcement concert series, local park ranger Lauren Hall has been posting videos of herself singing covers of famous pop songs, with the lyrics replaced with helpful tips about safety and conservation.

She nailed her rendition of “Dreams” with tack sharp lyrics like this bit from the chorus “Ponca only happens when it’s rainin’; please know what the river gauge is sayin'”.

Surely Stevie Nicks would approve.

Want to take a cheap innertube down the river? First check out her cover of “Drops of Jupiter” by Train, for advice on where to put in and the importance of life preservers and high-quality rafts. Frankly, it’s better than the original song.

Hall covers Adele and Bruno Mars too, and has the range to pull it off. She’s even tried it with Snoop Dogg’s “Drop it Like it’s Hot.”

“I wanted to figure out a way to really connect with park visitors and preserve and protect the resources there,” Hall told the Springfield News-Leader.

Certainly a more interesting way to get that info out there than publishing a pamphlet.

You can see her other videos on the “Our Buffalo River” Facebook page.

If you want to see the video it's here, it's really cute: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1689...6655387014135/

https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...kcountry-tips/
Old 06-23-2018, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Now I feel I need to go watch the opening scene of this series.
You will not regret it. I am a huge fan. Be prepared if you're going to binge watch though. There are six seasons. In fact I may have to watch this episode again. It's been so long since I've seen it. They used Gold Dust Woman to great effect on season 6.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:46 AM

This Goldman Sachs Exec DJs to Land Business Deals—Now He’s Covering Fleetwood Mac

Goldman Sachs already ruined the economy, and now some listeners think it’s ruining Fleetwood Mac.

As The New York Times revealed last year, the investment bank’s president and COO David Solomon moonlights as DJ D-Sol. He’s performed in New York, Miami and the Bahamas.

And Solomon has continued exercising his hobby over the last five years while ascending the C-suite at Goldman. In fact, his latest creation is being marketed as a “song of the summer.”

Earlier this month, D-Sol’s three-minute electronic dance remix of Fleetwood Mac’s “Don’t Stop” was posted on YouTube. It’s produced by New York EDM label Crowd Records, and also available on Spotify and Apple Music.

There’s even a music video which dubs D-Sol’s beats over hedge fund manager Ray Dalio’s cartoon videos explaining the principles of success to college students.

The song features a generic EDM beat layered over D-Sol’s cover of the Fleetwood Mac classic. Some heavy reverb is used so the lyrics endlessly repeat (“Don’t don’t, stop stop, thinking about thinking about”).

Reactions to the song haven’t been very positive. One of the top YouTube comments reads “I can imagine this song being played at a bouncy castle kids party or on a Carnival cruise ship.”

But while music critics may scoff, Solomon has made his music career pay off for Goldman.

Solomon advised Spotify when Goldman handled its IPO. The music streaming service reportedly paid almost $50 million for Goldman’s services, albeit before Solomon’s DJ hobby became public.

But since then, the streamer has heavily marketed D-Sol’s songs. The DJ has 425,000 monthly listeners on Spotify, and “Don’t Stop” has been featured on several “Song of the Summer” playlists.

Solomon has also become friends with music industry heavyweights through his work. His Instagram account features a photo of the executive interviewing Justin Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun.

But given that he only performs about once a month, Solomon largely likes to keep his DJ and executive lives separate.

“I don’t know whether seeing the president of Goldman Sachs spinning tunes at a club is gonna change the perception of the industry,” he said on a Goldman Sachs podcast. “We’ve got a lot of work to do on that front.”

Solomon also downplayed the success of “Don’t Stop,” pointing out that Tiesto’s “Jackie Chan” has about 60 million streams, compared to 600,000 for D-Sol’s song.

“Let’s not overdo it,” Goldman Sachs spokesperson Jake Siewert told Observer in an email.

No doubt this is a fun side hustle for Solomon. But he’s also learned an important lesson: Don’t stop thinking about your day job.

http://observer.com/2018/06/fleetwoo...david-solomon/
Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterNightroad View Post
This Goldman Sachs Exec DJs to Land Business Deals—Now He’s Covering Fleetwood Mac

Goldman Sachs already ruined the economy, and now some listeners think it’s ruining Fleetwood Mac.

As The New York Times revealed last year, the investment bank’s president and COO David Solomon moonlights as DJ D-Sol. He’s performed in New York, Miami and the Bahamas.

And Solomon has continued exercising his hobby over the last five years while ascending the C-suite at Goldman. In fact, his latest creation is being marketed as a “song of the summer.”
He and James Dolan should form a club.

Last edited by sodascouts; 07-03-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Old 07-07-2018, 08:31 AM

Classic albums by Michael Jackson, Fleetwood Mac among best-selling vinyl discs of 2018 so far

Mid-Year Report is here, tallying the best-selling music releases for the first half of 2018. While various contemporary pop and hip-hop acts dominate most of the tallies, some older acts’ catalog releases have made a significant impact on one particular category: the top-selling vinyl albums.

Michael Jackson‘s Thriller, which happens to be the best-selling album of all time, landed at #4 on Nielsen’s list of most-purchased vinyl discs of 2018 so far. Another disc that’s among the best-selling albums of all time — Fleetwood Mac‘s 1977 classic Rumours — is #5 on the tally.

Prince and the Revolution‘s soundtrack to the 1984 film Purple Rain is in eighth place, and rounding out the top 10 is The Beatles‘ landmark 1967 album, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band.

It’s also worth mentioning that the 2014 soundtrack album Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1, which is packed with hits and gems by various 1970s artists, is #3 on the list.

The best-selling vinyl album for the first half of 2018 is a new release, ex-White Stripes frontman Jack Black‘s latest studio effort, Boarding House Reach, which has sold 37,000 copies.

Here is the full mid-year list of the top-10 best-selling vinyl albums:

1. Jack White, Boarding House Reach — 37,000
2. Kendrick Lamar, DAMN. — 30,000
3. Various artists, Guardians of the Galaxy: Awesome Mix Vol. 1 (Soundtrack) — 28,000
4. Michael Jackson, Thriller — 28,000
5. Fleetwood Mac, Rumours — 28,000
6. Panic! at the Disco, Pray for the Wicked — 26,000
7. Justin Timberlake, Man of the Woods — 26,000
8. Prince and the Revolution, Purple Rain (Soundtrack) — 25,000
9. Amy Winehouse, Back to Black — 25,000
10. The Beatles, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band — 23,000

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/93664/
Old 07-14-2018, 08:32 AM

You Can 'Go Your Own Way' With These Fleetwood Mac Lyrics for IG Captions
Your followers will say, 'don't stop' with those great Fleetwood Mac lyrics for Instagram captions.

Who isn't a Fleetwood Mac fan!? With so many hits, it's impossible not to love at least one song. Maybe you're more of a Gypsy fan, or does 'Don't Stop' get you on the dance floor? Regardless of your favorite, there are so many hits to choose from when thinking about an Instagram caption. We've rounded up all the hits by Lindsey, Stevie, and company for your social media needs.

• "Listen to the wind blow watch the sun rise"

• "Run in the shadows, damn your love, damn your lies"

• "And if you don't love me now, you will never love me again"

• "I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain"

• "Chain, keep us together running in the shadows"

• "Thunder only happens when it's raining"

• "Players only love you when they're playing"

• "Like a heartbeat, drives you mad"

• "In the stillness of remembering what you had"

• "I want to be with you everywhere"

• "Rhiannon rings like a bell through the night"

• "She rules her life like a bird in flight"

• "Your dreams unwind and still it's hard to find"

• "Take me like the wind. Take me with the sky"

• "Love's a state of mind"

• "I took my love, and I took it down"

• "I climbed a mountain and I turned around"

• "'Til the landslide brought me down"

• "Well, I've been afraid of changing cause I've built my life around you"

• "Loving you isn't the right thing to do, how can I ever change things that I feel?"

• "You can go your own way"

• "You can call it another lonely day"

• "Everything's waiting for you"

• "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow"

• "Don't you look back"

• "Tell me sweet little lies"

• "You can't disguise, no you can't disguise"

• "So I'm back, to the velvet underground back to the floor, that I love"

• "Back to the gypsy that I was"

• "To the gypsy that remains faces freedom with a little fear"

• "Lightning strikes, maybe once, maybe twice"

• "I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes"

• "She broke down and let me in"

• "Made me see where I've been"

• "You don't know what it means to win"

• "Been down one time - been down two times -I'm never going back again"

https://www.women.com/sophiematthews...aptions-070918
Old 07-14-2018, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's an email I received from the Morrison Hotel and Gallery:

Mick Fleetwood has personally curated a special collection of music photography to be displayed poolside at the Sunset Marquis. At this event you will have a unique opportunity to meet with Mick Fleetwood as he discusses his history, successes and musical influences.
AN EVENING WITH MICK FLEETWOOD
Event date: August 4, 7-10pm
$350.00 PER PERSON
GET YOUR TICKETS HERE
Tickets are limited, please purchase by July 27, 2018.

Ticketed attendees will enjoy complimentary open bar and hors d’oeuvres prepared by Sunset Marquis Hotel James Beard Award-winning chef.

No parking available at the hotel. Parking available at Sunset Millennium Parking Garage. Enter via Sunset & Alta Loma Rd.