User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Gift Of Screws (revisited)

Last night I decided to revamp my long-ago burnt copy of Gift Of Screws

I think the cool thing about it is that everyone who has it can really be their own "producer" of it...picking 15 or so of the tunes and tracking them to their own heart's delight. I'd originally LOATHED "Come" so I didn't include it on my original GOS CDr...but, I've done a 180 with it, so I want to include it now. And, not very long after acquiring the GOS tunes, the Lindsey solo version of "Peacekeeper" (which I find to be FAR superior to the SYW version) was circulated.

Well, here's the running order of my new version:

Gift Of Screws
Peacekeeper
Come
Down On Rodeo
Gotta Get Away
Try For The Sun
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
Someone's Gotta Change Your Mind
Twist Of Fate
Miranda
Red Rover
Bleed To Love Her
The Singer Not The Song
Shuffle Riff
She Smiled Sweetly
Steal Your Heart Away
Say Goodbye

Bonus Tracks:
Wear You Down
Given Thing
My Little Demon

Times out at 79:57.

I was hoping to squeeze "Deep Dense" as a bonus track, too, but alas, to keep it to one disc, I couldn't.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree, the GOS version of Peacekeeper is superior to the SYW version. I think they tried to lighten up the SYW version from the darker and more brooding GOS version. I also think the use of Stevie was ill thought and it did not work. To me, it would have been better if they each sang a part of it as opposed to the rather bland unison harmony. But, they never asked me

I like the rest of it though!!!

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 11-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like that track lineup, chili. I'll have to grab my self-made copy of GOS and see how I did things, but I was able to fit Deep Dense in as well. The difference may very well be Peacekeeper, like you say.. I'm not sure if I included that one in my burned copy or not.

On the side.. I've never really been able to figure out what's up with Lindsey's multitude of Rolling Stone covers.. has any info every come about in reference to that?
Old 11-30-2005, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
I like that track lineup, chili. I'll have to grab my self-made copy of GOS and see how I did things, but I was able to fit Deep Dense in as well. The difference may very well be Peacekeeper, like you say.. I'm not sure if I included that one in my burned copy or not.
I originally had "Deep Dense", "Blue Turns To Grey" AND "On The Wrong Side", but I think the new inclusion of "Come" & "Peacekeeper" took up the space of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah
On the side.. I've never really been able to figure out what's up with Lindsey's multitude of Rolling Stone covers.. has any info every come about in reference to that?
I don't know what was up with his Stones fetish during those times...except I have a couple of theories...the first one I came up with while doing this upgrade:

1) I noticed that there were little sonic things, musical parts & stuff that he used on his OWN songs that he probably discovered while recording the Stones tunes (and the Donovan tune "Try For The Sun"...could be the sonic inspiration for "Red Rover").

2) It just might have been that he was just doing the Stones songs for his own pleasure with no intention of the public ever hearing them.

3) He was asked to do a song for a Stones tribute album that never materialized (much like his version of "Big Yellow Taxi" that he did for the Joni Mitchell tribute album that never saw light of day), and he was just doing a bunch of songs to see which would be the best for the album.

Last edited by chiliD; 11-30-2005 at 05:46 PM..
Old 11-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
Last night I decided to revamp my long-ago burnt copy of Gift Of Screws

I think the cool thing about it is that everyone who has it can really be their own "producer" of it...picking 15 or so of the tunes and tracking them to their own heart's delight. I'd originally LOATHED "Come" so I didn't include it on my original GOS CDr...but, I've done a 180 with it, so I want to include it now. And, not very long after acquiring the GOS tunes, the Lindsey solo version of "Peacekeeper" (which I find to be FAR superior to the SYW version) was circulated.

Well, here's the running order of my new version:

Gift Of Screws
Peacekeeper
Come
Down On Rodeo
Gotta Get Away
Try For The Sun
Murrow Turning Over In His Grave
Twist Of Fate
Miranda
Red Rover
Bleed To Love Her
The Singer Not The Song
Shuffle Riff
She Smiled Sweetly
Steal Your Heart Away
Say Goodbye

Bonus Tracks:
Wear You Down
Given Thing
My Little Demon

Times out at 79:57.

I was hoping to squeeze "Deep Dense" as a bonus track, too, but alas, to keep it to one disc, I couldn't.

That looks like a really great running order, I'm going to have to try that out!
Old 11-30-2005, 06:56 PM
ReFleetwoodMac
This message has been deleted by ReFleetwoodMac.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReFleetwoodMac
Three slow songs in a row to end it? That's just dumb.
Put up or shut up.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:47 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
I agree those theories are the most plausible Steve.
I don't believe all those Stones covers were intended for the final album.
I realise there was a supposed tracklisting going around that included them all but personally I think that tracklisting was pure speculation.
Someone's Gotta
Miranda
Steal
Red Rover
She Smiled
Come
Rodeo
Gotta Get
Try Sun
Shuffle
Murrow
Gift
Bleed
Twist
Go Insane
Say Goodbye
Singer Song

were going to be the album as of 2001. That is exactly how those very songs reached us, the ever-loving mob. So three Stones songs were destined for solo album at that point in time. Of course, this album went through more permutations than Fleetwood Mac!

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2005, 01:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Someone's Gotta
Miranda
Steal
Red Rover
She Smiled
Come
Rodeo
Gotta Get
Try Sun
Shuffle
Murrow
Gift
Bleed
Twist
Go Insane
Say Goodbye
Singer Song

were going to be the album as of 2001. That is exactly how those very songs reached us, the ever-loving mob. So three Stones songs were destined for solo album at that point in time. Of course, this album went through more permutations than Fleetwood Mac!
But, I don't think that disc was intended as Lindsey's final submission to WB. I think it was more of a "progress report" for the Execs at WB to know what direction Lindsey was going with his solo album.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
But, I don't think that disc was intended as Lindsey's final submission to WB. I think it was more of a "progress report" for the Execs at WB to know what direction Lindsey was going with his solo album.
At that point, it was the album -- not yet mastered -- whose release had been aborted. It was not just a random collection of songs. That's just what fans started saying afterward. This particular collection was Gift of Screws circa summer 2001, & some producers (one of whom has season tickets at Irvine Meadows) had copies of it because they had asked about it after its release was nixed. But LB intended all these songs to be on his album before that point. What's kind of odd is the missing Peacekeeper. Maybe he had some other plan for that -- Fleetwood Mac or movie or something.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2005, 08:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At that point, it was the album -- not yet mastered -- whose release had been aborted. It was not just a random collection of songs. That's just what fans started saying afterward. This particular collection was Gift of Screws circa summer 2001, & some producers (one of whom has season tickets at Irvine Meadows) had copies of it because they had asked about it after its release was nixed. But LB intended all these songs to be on his album before that point. What's kind of odd is the missing Peacekeeper. Maybe he had some other plan for that -- Fleetwood Mac or movie or something.
How do you know Lindsey intended those songs to be on the album?
Isn't this still all just speculation?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I know Peacekeeper and What's The World Coming to were penned in 2000-2002 time frame so they are a little later in the gestation period that is Lindsey's music. Many of the songs in the circulated version of GOS had been around in some form since '96 or so.

My Version that I have been listening to since 2001....

Twist of Fate
Miranda
Steal
Red Rover
She Smiled
Come
Rodeo
Gotta Get
Try Sun
Shuffle
Murrow
Gift
Bleed
Twist
Go Insane
Say Goodbye
Singer Song

Basically the same version as the circulated track list but moving up Twist and putting the centerpiece song (SGCYM) in the middle of the album.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
How do you know Lindsey intended those songs to be on the album?
Isn't this still all just speculation?
No, I got it from the guy who was being returned some favors by these producers. We're not speculating; it's the scoop. It's what went down.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2005, 10:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

This is the running order I've had since 2001:

Miranda
Bleed to Love Her
Gift of Screws
Come
Gotta Get Away
Blue Turns to Grey
My Little Demon
Murrow
She Smiled Sweetly
Red Rover
Shuffle Riff
Try for the Sun
Deep Dense
The Singer Not The Song
Twist of Fate
Wear You Down
Down on Rodeo
Say Goodbye

It could probably use some tweaking, especially since I forgot to include SGCYM on it, which is one of my favorites. But there are parts I still like. I think Miranda is a great kick-off song and I like the way most of the songs in the first part of the CD go into each other; I suspect I started to lose my inspiration for the second part, though.

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 12-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
At that point, it was the album -- not yet mastered -- whose release had been aborted.

How'd he get away with using The Dance version of "Go Insane" for his solo album? With what happened with Stevie & "Silver Springs", I'll bet she would've been livid had the album BEEN released with that.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
How'd he get away with using The Dance version of "Go Insane" for his solo album? With what happened with Stevie & "Silver Springs", I'll bet she would've been livid had the album BEEN released with that.

That is interesting point I never thought of. It was originally licensed as LB solo tune, but you are right that this version was under the name Fleetwood Mac.

I imagine it was never an issue because it never saw the light of day and Mick was busy working to have Lindsey convert GOS into a Fleetwood Mac album anyway.