The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2004, 03:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaghost
(sorry, me bad for mentioning Collins and Buckingham in the same post)
Well they're all mainstream anyway.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-05-2004, 03:24 PM
trackaghost
This message has been deleted by trackaghost.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Finland, the country where polar bears walk on the streets singing "Silver Girl"
Quote:
Is that a dig at me Gaius?
Sort of. You do think that Lindsey is somewhat mainstream anyway, especially on OOTC. I'm never going to deny the mainstreamish tendencies of his music and I'm never going to deny that he doesn't work in the same area of the music industry as Stevie does. But even still I find the connections to new wave and punk on OOTC far more obvious than anything Stevie's done on her solo career.
So for me Lindsey's never been thoroughly a part of the big game. He may operate under some industry rules but that has never prevented him from making the music that he wants; music that combines the core values of two different target groups. No matter how slick and shiny you think OOTC is (and the same accusation can be thrown at TISL too, like it or not, thanks to Mr. Lord-Alge; not to mention that on TISL the slickness actually takes out some power from the main weapon of the album; Stevie's voice) it still has its dirty spots, the quirks, the open emotional wounds ("Street Of Dreams", "Surrender The Rain") and the general tone that this is not your average mainstream thing. You could sort of say the same of Steely Dan too, the Dan may always have sounded slick throughout but when you start analyzing those lyrics then you wonder how on earth did they ever get away with some of those.
I do not respect the ones playing the game all the time that much (like it or not, I think many alternative acts can be accused of the same too); I respect those who never follow the usual rules constantly.

Good lord, look what you did. But as I told you, no harm intended with this.

^ - "a selfindulged, but funny butthead of a Fin" - Shackin'up
Old 06-05-2004, 03:54 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb
I think go insane is one of the best albums ever made.Pure genius
Its a wonderful album, especially when you listen with headphones. I'd love to hear Go Insane with the full surround-sound treatment!
Old 06-05-2004, 11:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well I like OOTC the best by far, and Law and Order is great too. But I really really dislike Go Insane. It's the worst solo album released by any Fleetwood Mac member other then maybe Rock a Little. The only song I like its Go Insane but it pales in comparison to it's live accoustic counterpart. i also like Slow Dancing and Loving Cup.

He Will Burn You Down
Old 06-06-2004, 01:00 PM
trackaghost
Old 06-07-2004, 08:43 AM

I've said "Go Insane" sounds dated. And it does. But then, so does Mozart, Brahms, Vivaldi... Doesn't make them any less brilliant.

The true genius of Lindsey Buckingham the musician and producer is nowhere more evident than on "Go Insane." Here is where he pushed that envelope so far that he gave the envelope wings and it flew. It flew! See, he's using guitars in ways that probably no one had used before. Some of what you think is sythesizers is actually guitar. He also takes household items, like spoons, and after testing their pitch, blends their sounds into the music. Toy pianos. What have you.

Lindsey wasn't showcasing his guitar prowess on this album. He didn't have to. His task was grander here. It was about the musicality of life and how it interplays with one's emotions. Life as a melody is often just a jarring cacophony, ergo "Go Insane." There's a confluence of emotions and state of mind illustrated in this album that brings us to that place in life when almost nothing made sense.

The relentless pounding of the beat in some songs feels like you're being processed through the meat grinder of life's travails. It takes you to the edge, the horizon of sanity. Lindsey invites the listener to go insane with him here. Then, sweet relief at the end with "DW Suite." The march that closes the album looks to the future. It implies forward motion. It is recovery. It is life.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarneVaca
I've said "Go Insane" sounds dated. And it does. But then, so does Mozart, Brahms, Vivaldi... Doesn't make them any less brilliant.

The true genius of Lindsey Buckingham the musician and producer is nowhere more evident than on "Go Insane." Here is where he pushed that envelope so far that he gave the envelope wings and it flew. It flew! See, he's using guitars in ways that probably no one had used before. Some of what you think is sythesizers is actually guitar. He also takes household items, like spoons, and after testing their pitch, blends their sounds into the music. Toy pianos. What have you.

Lindsey wasn't showcasing his guitar prowess on this album. He didn't have to. His task was grander here. It was about the musicality of life and how it interplays with one's emotions. Life as a melody is often just a jarring cacophony, ergo "Go Insane." There's a confluence of emotions and state of mind illustrated in this album that brings us to that place in life when almost nothing made sense.

The relentless pounding of the beat in some songs feels like you're being processed through the meat grinder of life's travails. It takes you to the edge, the horizon of sanity. Lindsey invites the listener to go insane with him here. Then, sweet relief at the end with "DW Suite." The march that closes the album looks to the future. It implies forward motion. It is recovery. It is life.
If I sat here for eternity with a thesaurus and a dictionary, I still would not be able to say it better than that!

I think if Lindsey ever read that, he would have a very, very, big smile on his face.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:12 AM
trackaghost
Old 06-07-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Woah, I obviously don't get Go Insane at all.
But it sure sounds nice.
Tastes are hard to argue. So if something appeals to you, it does. Or it doesn't. Know what I mean? You can try to force it, but it won't work. You may never develop the appreciation for "Go Insane" that folks like Seteca and I have. And that's OK.

But if you listen to it with the mindset that Lindsey was giving you a sonic front seat at the breakdown of his sanity, perhaps you'll appreciate it a little better. There's a certain logic to the songs, musically and lyrically, and how they are sequenced. Even the abrupt interruption of the Play in the Rains. With the advent of the CD, the jolt brought on by that interruption loses a little of its effect, but I remember turning that tape over the first time and, SLAP. It's still going. It was wild! Still paying attention to the lyrics and how the arrangement complements them, when you reach "Bang the Drum," you know some kind of corner has been turned. There's a sense of release, peace even, that starts to permeate this amazing sonic landscape. And then, the march. That march that closes the album still gives me chills. It's the march of life. It's telling you that no matter how low life takes you, you have to pick up and march on.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Back in 89 I discovered Go insane and had ambivalent feelings towards it. Firstly I was extremely happy to find one of the two LB solo albums after a year or so of searching. Then I immediately realized that it was a strange one (think alone of the beginning of I want you). I always liked his craziness so that was all right. What was most noticeable even in 89 was that it sounded like typical mid-eighties. It sounded dated even in 89! Lindsey stated that he found out about the fairlight during that time and that was a prominent impression. I like the album (hey noone here voted for the GI video- but it's a great one) but I have to admit that it is my least favourite among the 3 ones he released. Neither LAO nor OOTC sound that time-related imo. And I do think that lessens the quality/test of time a little- I see Carnes point but I disagree concerning that aspect. But there is another aspect I wanted to bring up. I lent the album to a few people back then and they were a little confused about it. That means one day they loved it the other day they hated it. But what they and I too realized was that the sound was somehow strange. We played it on different players and it somehow sounds like someone had put some towels over the speakers. (both LP and CD have the same effect) I am not sure that is was a conscious effect, has anybody noticed that?
On a positive note- the different phases/stages the DW Suite is going through are greatness. Absolutely love the "if we go go go go go go go go go- go insane sane sane sane"- part" with the flute or whatever it maybe in the background.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Thanks

I would like to thank dougb for bringing up Go Insane, because I don't listen to it enough as a whole album. I usually listen to my LB faves CD. I am going to listen to it today.

I'm banning the word dated, along with cheesy from my vocabulary. LOL If NOTHING sounded *****, then how would our memories of that time era be forever etched in stone? When I think of certain songs from the 80's, it takes me back to that time in my life, memories come rushing back. Too bad I didn't know Lindsey or Go Insane back then, so I could go back when I hear this album. When I hear Frank Sinatra sing or a big band song, I immediately think 1940's or WWII era. Is that a bad thing? Newp.

The song, Go Insane basically threw me into my obsession with Lindsey. I'll never forget hearing it for the first time, I was like this and couldn't believe how AWESOME it was!!

Just came back to add that listening to this album now, I have to say, it doesn't affect me the way it does Seteca and Carne or whoever else that hasn't responded. I am not a dude, and I've never been in a relationship, so therefore, no breakup. The album to me, is musically pleasing, tho, so I love and appreciate it in that way. Now, I've said that I've applied GI to my life, and I have. That's really the only song that has hit me in the soul from this album. I connect more with OOTC and it's my fave LB solo album for that reason. I adore all three of them as L&O is for my quirky side, GI is for my mad side and OOTC is for my real side.

Last edited by wondergirl9847; 06-07-2004 at 11:43 AM..