Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:58 AM
Senior Ledgie

Hello all---

When I'm in the mood, there's nothing better than a Lindsey electric freak-out solo ["I'm So Afriad," "Come," etc.], but I mostly tend to prefer the ones that are different.

Someone mentioned the solo at the end of "Bleed to Love Her," and I really like that one because of the countryish tone he used and all of the bends. Same thing goes for "Landslide"---what a perfect solo for a perfect song.

In fact, I think some of Lindsey's best solos appear on songs he didn't write. I love the solo/instrumental section of "Say You Love Me," which starts with a chiming electric 12-string refrain, then adds a 6-string electric solo over it the second time around.

I love the 12-string acoustic solo on "Gotta Get Away," too. It's wonderfully understated.

But one of my favorite Lindsey solos is for a song that appears to be considered by many fans to be a mediocre song, at best: "When I See You Again" from TANGO. That solo at the fade gives me chills just thinking about it...again, simple and beautiful.

We all know Lindsey can tear up the electric guitar at will for those extended, intense solos, but its on the types of solos I mentioned about where he really makes an impression on me. He's such a versatile guitarist, and it really shows when you listen to the various styles and sounds he's used over time.

mattl
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Lucas View Post
Hello all---

When I'm in the mood, there's nothing better than a Lindsey electric freak-out solo ["I'm So Afriad," "Come," etc.], but I mostly tend to prefer the ones that are different.

Someone mentioned the solo at the end of "Bleed to Love Her," and I really like that one because of the countryish tone he used and all of the bends. Same thing goes for "Landslide"---what a perfect solo for a perfect song.

In fact, I think some of Lindsey's best solos appear on songs he didn't write. I love the solo/instrumental section of "Say You Love Me," which starts with a chiming electric 12-string refrain, then adds a 6-string electric solo over it the second time around.

I love the 12-string acoustic solo on "Gotta Get Away," too. It's wonderfully understated.

But one of my favorite Lindsey solos is for a song that appears to be considered by many fans to be a mediocre song, at best: "When I See You Again" from TANGO. That solo at the fade gives me chills just thinking about it...again, simple and beautiful.

We all know Lindsey can tear up the electric guitar at will for those extended, intense solos, but its on the types of solos I mentioned about where he really makes an impression on me. He's such a versatile guitarist, and it really shows when you listen to the various styles and sounds he's used over time.

mattl

But...none of those are solos. They're just hooks, guitar lines, riffs.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylittledemon View Post
I'd say "When I See You Again" has a solo. It's really simple, but I'd still call it a solo. Whatever it's called, though, I love it. Best part of that song is the ending. I'll put up with Stevie just to get to Lindsey's verse and the "solo".
Old 09-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Umm...what is your definition of a guitar solo? Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it was the part of a song during which the guitarist plays a part that is featured prominently in the mix and that usually takes the place of the lead vocal in expressing the emotional content of the song [i.e. the lead vocal drops out of the mix and the lead guitar is pushed up in the mix].

"Bleed to Love Her"---extended electric solo at the end of the song

"Landslide"---short but sweet electric solo in the middle of the song

"Say You Love Me"---starts with 12-string solo during the first phrase, then repeats a second time with a 6-string solo over the 12-string part in the middle of the song

"Gotta Get Away"---12-string acoustic solo in the middle of the song

"When I See You Again"---acoustic solo at the end of the song

None of these are "hooks, guitar lines, riffs," which are defined as a guitar part that's repeated several times throughout a song. The descending guitar notes during the chorus of "What Makes You Think You're The One" are an example of a "guitar line." "Oh Well" is FULL of riffs. "Big Love" has a wonderful guitar line that runs throughout the song.

mattl
Old 09-05-2006, 11:14 AM
Supporting Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Umm...what is your definition of a guitar solo? Maybe I'm wrong, but I always thought it was the part of a song during which the guitarist plays a part that is featured prominently in the mix and that usually takes the place of the lead vocal in expressing the emotional content of the song [i.e. the lead vocal drops out of the mix and the lead guitar is pushed up in the mix].

"Bleed to Love Her"---extended electric solo at the end of the song

"Landslide"---short but sweet electric solo in the middle of the song

"Say You Love Me"---starts with 12-string solo during the first phrase, then repeats a second time with a 6-string solo over the 12-string part in the middle of the song

"Gotta Get Away"---12-string acoustic solo in the middle of the song

"When I See You Again"---acoustic solo at the end of the song

None of these are "hooks, guitar lines, riffs," which are defined as a guitar part that's repeated several times throughout a song. The descending guitar notes during the chorus of "What Makes You Think You're The One" are an example of a "guitar line." "Oh Well" is FULL of riffs. "Big Love" has a wonderful guitar line that runs throughout the song.

mattl

Guitar solo is typically an electric guitar part...distorted or overdriven. When you say "guitar solo" that's what most people think of. USually something like Van Halen's "Eruption" springs to mind.

I stand corrected on a few of your choices. I had forgotten about the 75 version of Landslide (I much prefer the Dance version, and its the one thats always in my head). I would say the Bleed to Love Her outro is not a guitar solo though, even though it may fall into the definition of one.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:36 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Guitar solo is typically an electric guitar part...distorted or overdriven. When you say "guitar solo" that's what most people think of. USually something like Van Halen's "Eruption" springs to mind.
I think we just have different concepts of what defines a guitar solo. I don't think a guitar solo has to be played on electric guitar to be considered a guitar solo. To me, if it's played on a guitar, it's the main instrument playing at that point in the song, and it's not a short part/line/riff that's repeated several times during the song---it's a guitar solo.

As for something like "Eruption," that's a whole other animal. It's more of a solo guitar instrumental, in my opinion. The entire song is a solo! Technically, what's the difference between that and the guitar intros that Lindsey recorded for OUT OF THE CRADLE? I mean, he clearly called them introductions, but if they had some other name, they'd simply be solo guitar instrumentals, the only basic difference from "Eruption" being that Van Halen's bit is played with loads of distortion.

Quote:
I stand corrected on a few of your choices. I had forgotten about the 75 version of Landslide (I much prefer the Dance version, and its the one thats always in my head). I would say the Bleed to Love Her outro is not a guitar solo though, even though it may fall into the definition of one.
You're right about "Landslide"---I was referring to the studio version, though, on THE DANCE, he is clearly trying to duplicate the solo from the studio version. As for "Bleed to Love Her," I can see your point---I would probably say it's more like "noodling" or ad libbing than an actual solo.

Speaking of great Lindsey solos, one of my more recent favorites is "What's the World Coming To." It really matches the style of the song.

mattl
Old 09-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only song I don't like of Lindsey's is Miranda.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:11 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTFLCHLD View Post
The only song I don't like of Lindsey's is Miranda.
...hah!

GIFT OF SCREWS had a strange effect on me. The songs that I liked most when I first heard it---"Come," "Murrow," "Bleed to Love Her," etc.---came to be less exciting to me over time, and the ones I didn't like at first---"Miranda," "Twist of Fate," "Gift of Screws," etc.---became the ones that I listened to again and again. I think "Gift of Screws" is my favorite tune off the album right now. [As a completely unrelated aside, I wish Lindsey would release a simple acoustic-and-vocal solo version of "Say Goodbye." The clicking, pulsating effect on the GOS version really grates on my nerves. The clean version from LIVE IN BOSTON sounds much better, arrangement-wise, but I just can't stand Stevie's backing vocals, which just feel like a square peg crammed into a round hole on that song.]

Honestly, I think "Miranda" is a little repetitive, but it's so unusual. Plus, getting back to the thread topic, it has one of Lindsey's few slide guitar solos.

mattl
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
slide
The incessant whine gives me a headache. And the lyrics?