The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think Instagram (or Tumblr) is so perfect for Stevie out of all current social media choices.
"They wanted images
When images were unspoken
They depended upon illusion
Calling the illusion gold and glitter"

Stevie has always been about images, her visage, while still maintianing some mystery. Instagram doesn't require Stevie (or whomever from her team, or Warners) to put out awkward "Annabel Lee" tweets that came off inauthentic and downright bizarre.

This is exciting! I expect longer & better sounding teasers off "24 Karat Gold", with footage Dave & his team likely shot (similar to the three 15 sec. teasers Dave already gave us.) As well as new/old outtake images that will comprise the album art. I'm really interested to see if Stevie did a new photo shoot for this record, or dug out older photo session outtakes from the past to compliment the theme of these being older "vault" songs.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

December 2013.

"I like mysterious people. I’m drawn to them. And I think that, thanks to Instagram and Facebook, today’s young women have lost their mystery. You want to film yourself in the bathroom in the morning getting ready for school? Are you crazy? You think that’s attractive? Being mysterious is very attractive, that’s where my little world has always been."

LOL. The Annabel Lee tweets are hysterical. Also, feel free to film yourself in the bathroom in the morning, Stevie('s people). This whole thing is amusing to me. *waits patiently for content*

"There’s nothing going on between you and me except that there will always be something going on between you and me. Until the day we die"
Old 07-24-2014, 02:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Saw this on Facebook. I've long thought that Stevie should have an Instagram account, and honestly, she should be active about posting photos. She loves taking pictures, it just makes sense. It's such a great way to connect with fans instantly and in a way that interviews and other media outlets cannot achieve.
Do you really think Stevie has any inclination or acumen to sit at a computer and become directly interactive in social media? It's a nice notion, but seems so far fetched. Not everyone wants to be that exposed. The least we can hope for is that Dave Stewart, or her ever-present assistant Karen, makes that effort in some measured approach.

Social media requires a sensibility and commitment that I feel Stevie doesn't really have any interest in, nor should she have to. She connects with her fans through her music, performances and appearances. Sometimes it's not necessarily good to be too accessible, because it creates an expectation and a demand, which takes away attention of what she really should be focused on.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 07-24-2014 at 02:42 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 10:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post
Do you really think Stevie has any inclination or acumen to sit at a computer and become directly interactive in social media? It's a nice notion, but seems so far fetched. Not everyone wants to be that exposed. The least we can hope for is that Dave Stewart, or her ever-present assistant Karen, makes that effort in some measured approach.

Social media requires a sensibility and commitment that I feel Stevie doesn't really have any interest in, nor should she have to. She connects with her fans through her music, performances and appearances. Sometimes it's not necessarily good to be too accessible, because it creates an expectation and a demand, which takes away attention of what she really should be focused on.
My guess is that they will use the instagram account to preview the old polaroids that Stevie talked about in the press release today.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
My guess is that they will use the instagram account to preview the old polaroids that Stevie talked about in the press release today.
Absolutley! After all, Stevie was the original selfie queen with her infamous polaroids.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinHead View Post

Instagram is used with just a mobile phone camera. Instagram requires no commitment. It only requires that you enjoy taking pictures, tinkering with the colors and lighting, and sharing them with others. Being on Instagram doesn't make one too accessible in the way that Facebook does.

Perhaps you are not familiar with Instagram?

I do not believe Stevie has any inclination to sit at a computer - I was just saying that I think it would be a great creative outlet for the woman who used to take polaroids everywhere she went.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case

Last edited by KarmaContestant; 07-24-2014 at 10:51 AM..
Old 07-24-2014, 03:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I wonder if camp Stevie will be smart enough to link FB, twitter to the instagram so they can post across multiple social sites with one instagram post...
Old 07-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

10,500 followers and not a single post yet...

If Camp Stevie makes good use of this it should help with promotion a lot...
Old 07-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

I wrote a blog about it for my social media agency's site. Basically, if this is done well, it could be a huge boost. (And if she needs help, my contact info is easy to find )

http://hipgenius.com/stevie-nicks-jo...ng-new-tricks/
Old 07-25-2014, 07:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's an article about it from Hip Genius
http://hipgenius.com/?p=4824&preview=true
Blog

July 25, 2014
Stevie Nicks Joins Instagram: How Old Dogs are Learning New Tricks

Did you ever think the reigning queen of rock mystery, Stevie Nicks, would join Instagram? Would you ever guess that news of a new Pink Floyd album would be leaked through Twitter? Or that Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers would stream their new album in its entirety before it was released? All three artists are preparing for the launch of new material, and they’re jumping on the social media bandwagon to do so.

Stevie Nicks is the latest to join the group of rock legends getting on top of social media, having launched an official Instagram on July 23 to promote content from her new album, 24 Karat – Songs From the Vault. Even though it promises content will begin August 5, the currently empty account still amassed more than 11,000 followers in fewer than 48 hours.

The music business today is no stranger to social media. Katy Perry is the most followed Twitter account (even more popular than President Barack Obama). It’s musicians who make up the top spots in the Twittersphere. Even when expanded to the top 100 accounts, 50 percent of those belong to recording artists.

But, here’s the rub: music sales are falling. A lot. Even digital single sales, those 99 cent $1.29 tunes which once spelled the demise of album sales, dropped 13 percent in the first half of 2014.

The new guard of rock stars had been picking up the promotional slack; Instagramming sneak peaks of cover art, engaging with fans through Twitter, setting up Facebook presales for tours. But the new guard, it seems, is slacking. Can old dogs learn new tricks?

Amidst all the drops in sales, one sector saw a sizable boost. Old-school vinyl saw a sales increase of 40 percent. And while many current artists are beginning to put out new music in both digital and LP formats (those albums can usually found at Urban Outfitters), it’s important to look at how the ones who paved the way are adapting, and best practices to continue.

Nicks likely learned a thing or two from fellow artist and collaborator Dave Stewart, which is tease fans early and often. My mother reminisces about the five year gap between Fleetwood Mac’s Mirage and Tango in the Night where fans had no idea what was happening behind the scenes. Now, fans were treated to Instagrams and video clips Stewart began sharing with his Facebook fans and Twitter followers in April.

Giving Nicks ownership of social content, however, makes sense. Not only will it reach a larger audience (she has nearly double the Facebook fans as Stewart), but it will appear more natural and fan-friendly.

Nicks’s social strategy could benefit from the guidance of friend Tom Petty. He may have proclaimed to hate social media back in 2011, but the Heartbreakers sure are making good use of it these days. With 2.9 million Facebook fans and 175,000 Twitter followers, the band shows the importance of keeping fans engaged and excited for new material when between projects.

Their latest album, Hypnotic Eye, will debut next week — four years after their last album. Rather than start from scratch with social and digital promotion, the band’s social pages were posted regularly during the lull. Using hashtags like #TPATHursday and #FromTheVault kept fans active and engaged.

Hashtagging an upcoming project will create more buzz and makes it easier to track conversation, using #HypnoticEye whenever discussing the album on Facebook and Twitter. They even took to Facebook to announce that their fans could stream five new songs weeks before the albums release on an online Tom Petty radio.

Hopefully she can teach a thing or two to Fleetwood Mac, who could take advantage of Instagram to give fans behind-the-scenes looks at their upcoming reunion tour. Here are some best practices we’re eager to see the queen of rock and roll employ in the coming months.

Take advantage of Instagram video
The platform only allows videos to have a maximum length of 15 seconds, which is just enough time to give fans a snip of a song to peak interest, but short enough to avoid any early leaks.

Behind the scenes images work wonders
It’s a backstage pass for those who aren’t VIPs. Document the recording process — many fans are not only interested in the music, but how it was made. Take pictures at soundchecks and in rehearsals. Fans love to watch the band perform, but would gobble up any sneak peaks into backstage. Allowing them to feel like a fly on the wall will increase interest and engagement.

Utilize hashtags to boost conversation
Branding content with a hashtag allows fans to unite behind one front and promotes the product organically through social media. Think about it: there could be a million people using key terms like “new album” and “Songs From the Vault,” but it seems scattered. Organizing all conversation around a specific hashtag, like #24Karat has greater potential to trend and boost conversation.

Finally, keep your fans updated regularly
Continuing to update social pages regularly, even when not promoting new material or a tour, keeps the page current and in your fans’ feeds. Allowing your Facebook page to become inactive is like letting it die a slow death. When you begin to post again, many of your fans won’t even see it. Additionally, keeping fans informed on progress sustains a level of anticipation between announcement and release, rather than letting it drop in between the two. You’ll find your fans will be talking about you a lot more throughout an extended time, rather than just the start and the finish.

- See more at: http://hipgenius.com/?p=4824&preview....zPz48OT2.dpuf
Old 07-25-2014, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Great article!!! Thanks for sharing? Are you paying attention, Miss Nicks?...er...I mean...Karen?
Old 07-25-2014, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel stupid! I missed the post before mine that was about the article I was posting about. Uggh. Ricoh
Old 07-25-2014, 09:25 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricohv View Post
I feel stupid! I missed the post before mine that was about the article I was posting about. Uggh. Ricoh
No worries! I'm just glad someone else caught it! I knew it would be a great thing to get my agenda in and write about, since I, of course, care a great deal.

Our blog is pretty typical agency-media business facing, so I also put it on my tumblr and twitter and FM News retweeted. Glad you enjoyed, and fingers crossed it gets their attention!