The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

She did Songbird in Toronto on the last tour as my Brother requested it when he met her at the preshow meet and greet. he requested it because she has played it before and he wanted to hear it. She has done many covers over the year inluding Desperado, James Talyor's Mill Worker, Steeley Dan's Do It Again, etc. It seems every show gets a cover song or two.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicks Fan View Post
She did Songbird in Toronto on the last tour as my Brother requested it when he met her at the preshow meet and greet. he requested it because she has played it before and he wanted to hear it. She has done many covers over the year inluding Desperado, James Talyor's Mill Worker, Steeley Dan's Do It Again, etc. It seems every show gets a cover song or two.
You probably alrady know, but her cover of Steely Dan's Do It Again is a b-side to one version of the Spark CD single.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 05-29-2014, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, she always does do a cover or two. The funny thing is that I don't really like any songs on her covers CD but I like a lot of the other covers she has done, including Smells Like Teen Spirit and I'm on Fire.

Kevin
Old 05-31-2014, 05:41 PM
Senior Ledgie

I consider myself a huge former Tori fan. She is the number one artist I used to obsessively follow and collect for years. That includes going to every show on a few tours years and years ago when the stars aligned (1. When she was still making terrific music, 2. When I was young and unattached to either a job or husband or much responsibility in general, 3. When I had the desire and energy).... Got to "know her" a bit during that time (I say that loosely; she's great about giving fans time at meet and greets and making herself accessible. I don't pretend we were friends in any sense, though she would remember me and treated me very graciously). I have a ton of respect for her musical abilities, unique writing style with enigmatic and deeply fascinating lyrics loaded with hidden meanings, and her dedication to her fans. That said, I haven't been impressed with her last 10 years-or-so of output. (That's just my opinion and I know others may disagree.)

I have really enjoyed seeing the fantastic setlists she's turned out on this tour so far. That is another thing she is GREAT about - her sets vary wildly each night. The idea of doing the same set is completely foreign to her, which is another reason folks like me have spent months of our lives following her on the road! Quick edit: as of last night's show (show #17 on this tour), she has played 125 different songs so far (http://www.toriset.org). That is IMPRESSIVE, for any musical act. Gotta love the surprises and variety!

I don't love this cover (it feels a bit... Empty?), but I love that she did it and love that she has such respect for Stevie. Obsessing over Tori's music in the past as I've done, I've felt so much of Stevie's influences in various nuances. They're VERY different obviously, but it's clear she's been influenced by her and I love that she played this in her honor.

I also agree about Tori's cover of Landslide. I've never heard a better one (and I've heard that song covered almost ubiquitously).

Last edited by luminol; 05-31-2014 at 05:47 PM..
Old 05-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luminol View Post
I consider myself a huge former Tori fan. She is the number one artist I used to obsessively follow and collect for years. That includes going to every show on a few tours years and years ago when the stars aligned (1. When she was still making terrific music, 2. When I was young and unattached to either a job or husband or much responsibility in general, 3. When I had the desire and energy).... Got to "know her" a bit during that time (I say that loosely; she's great about giving fans time at meet and greets and making herself accessible. I don't pretend we were friends in any sense, though she would remember me and treated me very graciously). I have a ton of respect for her musical abilities, unique writing style with enigmatic and deeply fascinating lyrics loaded with hidden meanings, and her dedication to her fans. That said, I haven't been impressed with her last 10 years-or-so of output. (That's just my opinion and I know others may disagree.)

I have really enjoyed seeing the fantastic setlists she's turned out on this tour so far. That is another thing she is GREAT about - her sets vary wildly each night. The idea of doing the same set is completely foreign to her, which is another reason folks like me have spent months of our lives following her on the road! Quick edit: as of last night's show (show #17 on this tour), she has played 125 different songs so far (http://www.toriset.org). That is IMPRESSIVE, for any musical act. Gotta love the surprises and variety!

I don't love this cover (it feels a bit... Empty?), but I love that she did it and love that she has such respect for Stevie. Obsessing over Tori's music in the past as I've done, I've felt so much of Stevie's influences in various nuances. They're VERY different obviously, but it's clear she's been influenced by her and I love that she played this in her honor.

I also agree about Tori's cover of Landslide. I've never heard a better one (and I've heard that song covered almost ubiquitously).
^^^ Everything you just said, right there!!! I couldn't agree more. Although I haven't been impressed with anything Tori has done since "To Venus & Back", her fifth album, so I guess that makes it 15 years for me! Hahaha! Although there has been a song or two here and there from "Beekeeper" and "Scarlet" that I have enjoyed. But one or two "good" songs doesn't make a good album, unfortunately.

And yes yes YES to her "Landslide" cover. No one has done it better.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Totally with you. Scarlet's Walk was the last great Tori album for me; the last of her albums I crave listening to, and the last to be loved start to finish. She's had great *moments* on each album since.
I'm not the man you think I am. My love has never lived indoors - I had to drag it home by four, hired hounds at both my wrists, damp and bruised by strangers' kisses on my lips. But you're the one that I still miss. Neko Case
Old 06-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Totally with you. Scarlet's Walk was the last great Tori album for me; the last of her albums I crave listening to, and the last to be loved start to finish. She's had great *moments* on each album since.
I've found her new album to be very cohesive and her best work since Scarlet's Walk, certainty it sounds more like Tori than anything she's done in the past 10+ years. I didn't expect to love another Tori record but I'm beginning to love this one.

As far as her live shows go, she is an amazing musician. It boggles the mind how she can play so many different every night and make it seem effortless. I especially love when she does ad libs or changes up the songs...adding a bridge here or extra verses there. You never know what you're going to get. She continues to fascinate me.

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 06-10-2014, 08:20 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quick update:

As of show #25, she's up to 155 different songs played so far. Stats here: http://www.toriset.org

Pretty impressive.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My twin brother is a huge Tori Fan and knows all the songs and when certain songs were last played in concert etc. I am not as big of a fan but I do think her piano version of I'm On Fire is amazing.
Old 06-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Quick update:

As of show #25, she's up to 155 different songs played so far. Stats here: http://www.toriset.org

Pretty impressive.
Quite impressive. I must admit I'm obsessed with her set lists. I check them out every day to see what she played. Obviously when she plays solo she has much more wiggle room but this tour she really seems to be playing a huge variety of songs, though not much from the new record. I'm seeing her in Philly in August. I can't wait to see what she brings to the party. I'm really hoping to hear Wild Way, it's one of my favorites from her new album.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:18 PM
Ledgie

I got Tori to play Songbird in (2011) honor of my friend Deb, whose mom passed away in 2010. Her mom was a huge Fleetwood Mac fan, and I knew that she had played Songbird in 96, 02,03, and lastly in Poznan Poland in 05. So when it was played I know Deb really appreciated it.

Do It Again was a request from a bunch of the USA fans as well as the Boys for Pele B-side Alamo, for the Montreal 2005 show. She has always done covers, but in 05, and the current tour, she has been taking cover requests by fans. In 2011 she just randomly played covers like James Taylor Fire and Rain, Someone Saved My Life Tonight Elton John, and That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be Carly Simon. Her Boys In The Trees Cover by Carly Simon comes out often, but it has eluded me. This tour I am asking for INXS Beautiful Girl, (which I requested in 05, but did not get)

As for the current tour, she has played 29 shows and 169 different songs. She has 2 more shows left in Europe, and then it's off to South Africa for 4 shows, and then the USA. She has said the tour is 80 shows, but so far only 64 shows total have been announced. We are told Australia will happen in November, but given that the USA dates end in August that is a pretty big gap. Plus she won't do 13 shows in OZ. I think she will play New Zealand and maybe Asia. Both places have not been played since the 1994 Under The Pink Tour.

As for her music. I like everything up to Scarlet's Walk. Hated The Beekeeper (too long and bland, but there are some great songs on it such as: Parasol, Barons of Suburbia, Goodbye Pisces, Sleeps With Butterflies), American Doll Posse I liked, but it was too long, over produced, and her husband Mark's guitar ruined some songs, by drowning then out. Abnormally Attracted To Sin was just OK. Midwinter Graces was decent as x-mas for a "solstice" CD. Night of Hunters was a nice record musically, but her daughters bad vocals, and the story connecting the songs, in the song cycle, mixed with bad lyrics made it a bad CD. Gold Dust did not need to happen, she cut Yes Anastasia in 1/2. Why bother redoing songs with an orchestra if you ruin them. Unrepentant Geraldines is OK. I like 8 out of 15 songs. Wild Way, Oysters, Selkie, and the title track are my faves.

As for tours, I have done my share of shows ex. 20 shows on the 2002-2003 tour 15 in 2005 . I have gotten a lot of repeats, but also a lot of random covers (Daniel Elton John,Running to Stand Still U2, Superstar the Carpenters, And Dream of Sheep Kate Bush, Dream On Aerosmith), soundtrack songs, (Siren) and B-sides (Cooling, Never Seen Blue, Alamo, Sugar, Honey, Black Swan) and random songs (Take Me With You, Cool on Your Island from her 1988 Y Kant Tori Read CD)so I can't complain.

From tonight's show in Bucharest Romania here is her cover of Here Comes the Rain Again by the Eurythmics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h5UX9HbasM

Last edited by ADAM_EVE; 06-19-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Old 06-19-2014, 10:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADAM_EVE View Post

As for the current tour, she has played 29 shows and 169 different songs.
Totally amazing. Tori is *very* dedicated to her entire catalog of songs.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
Totally amazing. Tori is *very* dedicated to her entire catalog of songs.
She played "Here Comes The Rain Again" at her last show in Bucarest. It completely blew me away...Her passion towards the end was intent. Now, if only she could capture that passion on her recordings, like she once did. I feel her studio output these days is very measured and calculated. She also seems to sing much differently now than she did when she first came on the scene. I thought perhaps her voice has changed since getting older but one listen to her live on this tour completely dispels this notion. I just wish she would let loose a little bit in the studio.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:59 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Jonathan, are you on unforumzed, by any chance?

The covers this tour have been EXCEPTIONAL. I think my favourite so far has be Madonna's "Frozen" from Amsterdam. She absolutely nailed it.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
Jonathan, are you on unforumzed, by any chance?

The covers this tour have been EXCEPTIONAL. I think my favourite so far has be Madonna's "Frozen" from Amsterdam. She absolutely nailed it.
I used to be but haven't been on in a while. I think I need to return!