The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The Wild Heart ~ Outtakes & Alternate Versions; Why so few?

The Wild Heart remains the era which has the least amount of known outtakes and demos, especially for the songs on the album. No known alternates exist for songs like "Gate And Garden" and "I Will Run To You". Compared to all of Stevie's other albums, solo and with Fleetwood Mac from Tusk and forward, The Wild Heart has the least amount of outtakes and rarities. Perhaps this is because of the short amount of time Stevie had between Bella Donna and Mirage, both those tours, and The Wild Heart.

Here is a list of known extra recorded material from The Wild Heart~

"Garbo" ~ B-side of "Stand Back". Written in 1973, after the infamous nude BuckinghamNicks cover shoot. "Garbo" would get new life in 1998 when it would be on Stevie's box set, as well as part of the Enchanted tour set list.

"Violet And Blue" ~ Against All Odds soundtrack, March 1984. Written and recorded originally in 1982, the movie uses the earlier recording while the actual soundtrack has a later version. "Violet And Blue" was remixed in October 1990 by Chris Lord-Alge for possible inclusion on TimeSpace.

"Destiny" ~ Written in 1974. Recorded in Dallas in 1982 for The Wild Heart, produced by Gordon Perry. A full six-minute version exists, as well as a four-minute edit. Written "on a break" with Lindsey, "Destiny" is about another man who captivated Stevie during this time. "Enchanted" utilizes many of the same lyrics, probably taking its place on The Wild Heart, although it is a separate song. "Destiny" would find an official home on Street Angel in 1994 (recorded in 1992, with touch-ups applied in 1993 & 1994).

"Belle Fleur" ~ Earliest demos are dated 1981. Recorded for Bella Donna, and Stevie gave an interview in 1982 listing "Belle Fleur" (and the above three songs) as already recorded for her second solo album. The full band versions that exist are probably from the Bella Donna sessions.

"Julia" ~ Written in January 1980. Fully recorded for Bella Donna (several takes exist), "Julia" was also fully recorded for The Wild Heart in Dallas in 1982, produced by Gordon Perry. "Julia" was taken off of The Wild Heart (and Bella Donna) because Jimmy Iovine hated the song (per my 1996 interview with Gordon Perry here in Dallas).

"All The Beautiful Worlds" ~ Recorded in Dallas in 1982, produced by Gordon Perry, for The Wild Heart. Percussion guides as well as payment authorization dated October 1983 exist for Bobbye Hall to do percussion overdubs on the existing track. Was this meant to be as a b-side for "Nightbird"? Or work for Stevie's next album? ("One More Big Time Rock And Roll Star" was recorded in July 1983 for Rock A Little while Stevie was on tour for The Wild Heart, so she was already working on that next album!)

"One More Tomorrow" ~ Stevie wrote the lyrics, Sandy Stewart and David Munday wrote the music. After Stevie leaves it off of The Wild Heart, Sandy would write her own lyrics for the music, entitle it "Leave It All Behind", and put it on her first album, Cat Dancer (March 1984).

"Baby Don't Lose Your Heart" ~ Stevie recorded a version of Bruce Springsteen's then-unreleased song, "Janey Don't Lose Heart", for The Wild Heart in 1983. Bruce wasn't pleased that Stevie changed the title subject to be a male, and had her turn over all copies of her version back to him. Bruce put his version out as a b-side in 1985 (and subsequent CD compilations), but Stevie's version remains completely unheard by fans.

"Dial The Number" ~ Written in 1982, lyrics by Stevie, music by Sandy Stewart, and recorded for The Wild Heart. Stevie would again record this song (several takes) for The Other Side Of The Mirror, and again axe it from the final release.

"Unknown Title" ~ In Spring 1983, Stevie gave a short interview with a women's magazine (I'm working on it right now to quote the source exactly, but it really happened!) about her upcoming new album, The Wild Heart. She said that she wrote a duet that she wanted to sing with Sting, but she didn't have the nerve. Finally, she called him up, they recorded it, and it was going to be on The Wild Heart. Of course, it wasn't. Synchronicity came out the same time as The Wild Heart; was that a conflict? Also, why was Stevie too scared to call Sting in 2001 and ask him to sing her re-recording of "Bombay Sapphires" if they'd already worked together? (I will find this 1983 interview if it kills me!)

"The Charmed Ones (Song For The City Of Hope)" ~ Written in 1982, lyrics by Stevie, music by Jeff Piergeorge & Earl Dwayne Russell. Presumably recorded for The Wild Heart, although the widely-distributed fully recorded version would seem to be from 1985 or 1986 (it's dated January 1986) based on Stevie's voice. It would definitely seem this song would be written for The Wild Heart, given its subject matter and connection to Robin Anderson.

Close enough to The Wild Heart:

"Smiling Islands" ~ From Robbie Patton's album, Orders From Headquarters (1982). This duet with Stevie is almost a prequel to The Wild Heart in regards to Stevie's voice.

"I Pretend" ~ Stevie's duet with Sandy Stewart on Cat Dancer, released March 1984, but presumably recorded in Late 1983. Stevie's voice reeks of The Wild Heart era. (Written by Sandy). Note: Stevie also sings backup on "Get My Way" and "Cat Dancers".

"Sorcerer" ~ Streets Of Fire soundtrack (May 1984). A 1985 Austin American-Statesman interview with Marilyn Martin revealed that Marilyn and Stevie (and most of Stevie's band!) recorded their version in the Summer of 1983 while on The Wild Heart tour. Although Marilyn sings "lead" on most of the song, Stevie just can't help herself and winds up taking over the final third.

Outtakes/Demos:

True Alternate versions and demos exist for the following album tracks:
"Nothing Ever Changes"
"Beauty And The Beast"
"Sable On Blond"
"If Anyone Falls"

Longer edits of the album versions exist for "Wild Heart" and "Nightbird". And early mixes of "Stand Back" are out there, too.

The 2007 remixes for "Stand Back" that accompanied Crystal Visions utilize extra previously-unreleased ending vocals by Stevie from the original 1983 recordings.

Last edited by mikebise; 03-19-2011 at 08:10 PM..
Old 03-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hmmm... I guess that is a lot of extra material for The Wild Heart...

But compared to the many, many outtakes from Bella Donna, Street Angel, and The Other Side Of The Mirror, it's paltry. Not to mention the many, many songs Stevie fully recorded for Rock A Little.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a scan of a small article that mentions the Stevie/Sting collaboration:

“Remember, in the grand scheme of things, what we do for a living is not very important. After all, we’re not curing cancer here.” - John McVie
http://goldduststevie.tumblr.com/
Old 03-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ooh, awesome!!!! Thanks!!!! How can I archive this?

Thanks so much!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebise View Post

"Violet And Blue" ~ American Anthem soundtrack, March 1984. Written and recorded originally in 1982, the movie uses the earlier recording while the actual soundtrack has a later version. "Violet And Blue" was remixed in October 1990 by Chris Lord-Alge for possible inclusion on TimeSpace.
Don't you mean Against All Odds?

"Battle of The Dragon" was on the American Anthem soundtrack.

~Well You Cannot Know A Dream~
~Until You've Known The Nightmare~
Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I LOVE one more tomorrow!

it belongs on wild heart. some folks know
I only have a cassette player in my car. I
just got the wild heart on tape, so I got to
listen to it on the commute today. front
to back. and one more tomorrow should
be there!

didn't know sandy stewart redid that though,
interesting.

love to hear that springsteen song, yes?

gate and garden is among my top five
stevie songs. love that piano, boi.
and it bumps. and the dichotomy
of it -- soft and breathy, 'the guardian',
'its everywhere' -- vs. the really, I think,
driving sound of wachtell, bittan
and co. its definitely a little bit sexy.
or it has that vibe...

if the wild heart is a concept album
about love affairs and hopeless, dreamy
romances -- then gate and garden is
that feeling that comes when you
FINALLY get to steal away and just
get lost in that other person, you know?

gate and garden is that secret smile. that
special look you share with someone, that
only the two of you see.

hey, maybe its secret love.
nobody knows. nothin bout it.

gate and garden would be a great,
easy song to do live. in the vein of
I need to know, or enchanted - but
so much better, in concert.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvasprings View Post
Don't you mean Against All Odds?

"Battle of The Dragon" was on the American Anthem soundtrack.
Thanks, Matt!!!!!!! While typing that, I was in another Universe, I guess!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
gate and garden is among my top five
stevie songs. love that piano, boi.
and it bumps. and the dichotomy
of it -- soft and breathy, 'the guardian',
'its everywhere' -- vs. the really, I think,
driving sound of wachtell, bittan
and co. its definitely a little bit sexy.
or it has that vibe...

if the wild heart is a concept album
about love affairs and hopeless, dreamy
romances -- then gate and garden is
that feeling that comes when you
FINALLY get to steal away and just
get lost in that other person, you know?

gate and garden is that secret smile. that
special look you share with someone, that
only the two of you see.

hey, maybe its secret love.
nobody knows. nothin bout it.
Ooh, I LOVE how you wrote all of that, Nathan!!! That's almost scary how much it resonated in me.

Back in October/November 1983, "Gate And Garden" was my own SECRET LOVE song about a guy I'd met in one of my first classes at Texas A&M... My own "I've Loved and I've Lost"... Made up, neverwas... timeless....
Old 03-19-2011, 08:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

well, it was just a wish.

I noticed different guitar parts at the very
end of it too. like one note held and sort
of whining. hadn't noticed it before. way
way at the end though.

also, I'm telling you this cassette is totally
different. stand back in particular.
but the sequencing on the wild heart is just
perfect with a front and back.

everybody loves gate and garden. its just
such a perfect song!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

"Baby Don't Lose Your Heart" ~ Stevie recorded a version of Bruce Springsteen's then-unreleased song, "Janey Don't Lose Heart", for The Wild Heart in 1983. Bruce wasn't pleased that Stevie changed the title subject to be a male, and had her turn over all copies of her version back to him. Bruce put his version out as a b-side in 1985 (and subsequent CD compilations), but Stevie's version remains completely unheard by fans.
Mike, I could have sworn, "Don't Lose Heart" as reported in Rolling Stone's random notes section, sometime during the summer of 84', was recorded for Stevie's upcoming 3rd solo album. In the mention, It goes on to say that Bruce Springsteen had contributed a song for Stevie's upcoming album entitled "Don't Lose Heart", but at press time RS was unsure if it was going to be used on the final album.

I will need to scour my old RS w/ Stevie mentions out of the basement. But I remember that article vividly that summer, cause I did not like Bruce and was disappointed in his involvement. On the other hand, I knew Stevie was a major Police fanatic back then, but had no idea she was intending a duet with Sting on the Wild Heart sessions. That's crazy!
Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Christopher, I don't doubt you. I was going by a 1989 issue of the Stevie fanzine, Rumours, which quoted from a (then in 1989) new book about Bruce Springsteen, written by a very close Bruce source, which said that Stevie recorded "Baby Don't Lose Your Heart" in 1983 for The Wild Heart. The article (quoting from the book) talked about Stevie changing the words and the meaning, thus causing Bruce to "nix" her releasing it.

As for the Sting duet, well, we had no idea about "Reconsider Me" prior to February 1998, so I'm sure Stevie has many, many secrets still hidden in her Vault, still not on YouTube.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Christopher, I don't doubt you. I was going by a 1989 issue of the Stevie fanzine, Rumours, which quoted from a (then in 1989) new book about Bruce Springsteen, written by a very close Bruce source, which said that Stevie recorded "Baby Don't Lose Your Heart" in 1983 for The Wild Heart. The article (quoting from the book) talked about Stevie changing the words and the meaning, thus causing Bruce to "nix" her releasing it.

As for the Sting duet, well, we had no idea about "Reconsider Me" prior to February 1998, so I'm sure Stevie has many, many secrets still hidden in her Vault, still not on YouTube.
Oh, On this I agree very much! I think our heads would explode. There has got to be more treasures buried where Reconsider Me came from! Other than the 2nd to 3rd rate bootlegged demos & outtakes, along with some alternates. No masters from The Wild Heart or Rock A Little sessions have ever surfaced to fans. There is major material in someones vault!

Perhaps if we don't get remastered expanded re-releases of Stevie's 1st three solo albums, Someone will convince Stevie there is a market for her to release a box set of bootleg demos and outtakes. To capitalize off all the material already out in the general public, but impove upon the mostly inferior sound quality! Plenty of us would eat that that up!!!
Old 03-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Standback!!

interesting thread! i don;t think i've EVER heard a standback demo? anyone else?
Old 03-20-2011, 03:05 AM
Ledgie

Just found these discs - not listened to them yet so not sure of the quality if them.

Wild Heart Demos (Disc 1)
All The Beautiful Worlds #1
One More Tomorrow
If You Were My Love
If Anyone Falls
Baby Doll
Beauty And The Beast (Piano Demo)
All The Beautiful Worlds #2
Belle Fleur
Dial The Number (Slow)
Greta
Stand Back
Nothing Ever Changes
The Dealer

Wild Heart Demos (Disc 2)
Stand Back #1 (Live)
Beauty And The Beast (Live)
The Dealer
Wild Heart (Full End Lyric)
Dial The Number
If You Were My Love
Jimmy Come Back #1
Julia
Mistaken Love
Jimmy Come Back #2
Nightbird (Full End Lyric)
Stand Back #2 (Live)
Violet And Blue
Jimmy Come Back #3

Wild Heart Demos (Disc 3)
Wild Heart #1
Julia
Destiny
If Anyone Falls
Stand Back
One More Tomorrow
Nightbird
Belle Fleur

Wild Heart Demos (Disc 4)
Dial the Number
Wild Heart (Dressing Room Demo)
Nothing Ever Changes
Tied Up in Promises
Stand Back (DJ Mix)
Sable on Blonde
Violet and Blue
Beauty & the Beast (Blues Demo)

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WA6WNNCX
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F80W2YCO
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OKTAMOLS
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AFKFO3GL
Old 03-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks, Sparky ~ I Can't Wait to DL those and go through them later! An upgrade is ALWAYS around the corner!

I will point out that, even though "Jimmy Come On Back" somehow ends up on lists for The Wild Heart, the presence of Marilyn Martin on backing vocals makes it a Rock A Little outtake, as Stevie & Marilyn did not meet until after The Wild Heart was released. Marilyn was Joe's backup singer on The Wild Heart tour where Joe opened for Stevie. Rock A Little is the only album of Stevie's that Marilyn sings on.

Johnny, I've always thought it so wild that zero demos for "Stand Back" have ever surfaced!