The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thank you for posting this delicious gem! Instantly I heard a similarity to Carly Simon's song That's The Way I've Always Heard It Should Be. Anyone else hear it?
Old 03-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks Luke for posting this, interesting song, not sure it would have fit on TISL, but why will Stevie not record primarily a covers album with this type of song as well, she seems to love singing covers live (Crash, Rock n'Roll and that Bonnie Raitt number, cannot remember that song name)

Shame that Stevie feels that she cannot record a new studio album at the moment for whatever her reasons are

http://stillgoinginsane.fleetwoodmac-uk.com
Still Going Insane - A Lindsey Buckingham Resource
Old 03-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Whilst I quite like this track and I'm impressed by the vocal range on display, we should not assume that this is indicative of Stevie's current capabilities. I have every confidence in Stevie and believe she is still capable of a certain range (certainly more than she cares to offer these days), but we shouldn't forget that she is nearly 61 years old.
I don't know the exact timeframe of this recording but I guess it's safe to assume it was done around the same time of "Love Changes". Considering that sessions for the Trouble In Shangri-La album occurred between December 1998 and September 2000, we're most probably looking at this recording being around 10 years old. Does anyone know anything more specific? Perhaps Mr Khane could clue us in with the precise details?
That said, I think it's fantastic that she attempted something so far removed from her comfort zone, especially since it was done as a favour, and actually pulled it off. The song itself is nothing special and this cabaret, show-tune genre is not one of my favourites, but her performance definitely draws you in. What's lovely is that she doesn't seem to be straining and although the melody is a little complicated, she makes it sound almost effortless, with a certain fragility intact. That is no mean feat. I admire Khane's work but this particular production is a little on the schlocky side in my opinion. However, that just reinforces the quality of Stevie's delivery, rescuing it from total schmaltz.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

love this little ditty. it's so nice to hear a Broadway-esque sound from our little witchy dumpling. I think everything is fabulous except the clunky arrangement. I wish there were some type of build up or great bridge or something, but overall, it's great.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stunning.

She should do this more often and stop selling the same drone she does on the likes of Dreams and Rhiannon these days.

I think she still has this voice, she just rarely uses it for some reason, which may be good, but we'll never know it.

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Senior Ledgie

This song, while not that great, really underscores my frustration with Stevie's vocal style these days. This track proves that she can still summon up that breathy quality and falsetto when she tries. I don't think her voice has changed too much from when this was recorded. One piece of evidence is the Deep Dish version of "Dreams", with falsetto intact (although I have my suspicions that the song was actually recorded in a lower key and pitch/speed corrected digitally).

Why, why why does she chose to use the belting/droning approach almost exclusively now?!? I can understand that at her age she doesn't have the full range that she had in her 20s and 30s, but that could be compensated for by varying the dynamics and exploring different aspects of her voice within that decreased range.

I have theory that the voice coaching may actually be having a detrimental effect on her performances...it sounds like she is aiming for full vocal control, and the only way she feels comfortable doing that is singing from the gut at all times, rather than varying it with a head voice or falsetto at times.

If she were singing "Dreams" or "Sara" with this style these days, I would pay good money to see FM in a heartbeat.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Stunning.

She should do this more often and stop selling the same drone she does on the likes of Dreams and Rhiannon these days.
Agreed. She obviously has the voice still. I'm mystified as to why she does not use it. Her technique has become a thousand times better in the last ten years with the vocal coach.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
Agreed. She obviously has the voice still. I'm mystified as to why she does not use it. Her technique has become a thousand times better in the last ten years with the vocal coach.
I agree - and, the "Red River Valley" cover, taped last month or so, proves that. Listen to her go soft in the same range at 1:38 and 3:46 (and, the one who has loved you so true) ----

Also, her vocals on this tour are spot on, esp. the very cool harmony on Monday Morning. Also, she is adding upper register accents of Sara.

La Nicks still has it, she just needs to show it more often by doing things that interest her, RRV on the CI show

save the cheerleader - save the world
Old 03-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandinthewind View Post
Also, she is adding upper register accents of Sara.

La Nicks still has it, she just needs to show it more often by doing things that interest her, RRV on the CI show
I've seen that a couple of times captured on the YouTube vids.... and she almost does it like she's shy, or is slightly embarrassed afterwards because of the little smile she gives... and it's close to not even being heard unless you watch and listen closely.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^Um.....another Stevie preminition....witch-like behavior.....She sings about a Red River....and a few months later....it floods and causes havoc in Fargo.
Old 06-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oh what a great find!
Thank you - this really is very dreamy and lovely!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Ledgie

Wow!! Thanks for sharing! I've never heard of this before. It's so different! I love it. Fabulous find. Thanks again!

~ * ~ But never have I been a blue calm sea ~ * ~
~ * ~ I have always been a storm ~ * ~
Old 06-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I really liked it. Her vocal is amazing on this. She talked a few years ago about doing a "blues standards" album which she may or may not have been serious about, but if she ever does another album, I think it should be a standards or Broadway CD - with the right producer, she could pull off something amazing, I think. Maybe something like Marianne Faithfull's "Strange Weather" album.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hey guys, I tried that megaupload link to download this song, Call On Me For Magic, and it won't work for me. Does anyone else have it uploaded that can share it with me? pretty please?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by brysondt View Post
Hey guys, I tried that megaupload link to download this song, Call On Me For Magic, and it won't work for me. Does anyone else have it uploaded that can share it with me? pretty please?
The link still works just fine. Enter the code and click Regular Download.