User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
That's amazing you got to meet her and talk to her more than once! She's become a lot more secluded since then so you never really get to hear stories like that. Did you meet any of the other band members?
It was an amazing experience and I'll never forget any of it. I've met all of them through the 80's and early 90's. Security wasn't as tight as it is now and here in the USA. This all happened when I was living in Holland. I met Lindsey in 2006 in Seattle (I had already moved here) but I don't think he had security. Not that I can remember. But yes, it was awesome to see them and talk to them. They were really nice back then.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I think she was still doing coke when they were recording Tango. I met her in June of '88 and she was fine. One of the security guards told me she was in group therapy and it worked. I talked to her for about 20 minutes at a party and she was totally fine, funny, talkative etc. In May of '89 (TOSOTM promo tour) I met her again. She stopped for a pic but said she was in a rush because she had to do another interview. Again, she was totally fine. She had gained weight (even more so than in '88) but she was nice and sweet, smiling & waving at everyone. In November of that same year she came back for her first and only solo concert and when I saw her she was a total mess. She didn't know where she was. She kept asking if she was in Germany and said at one point:"It's great to be in Scandinavia." She was in Holland... And it wasn't just that, her speech was slurring and it looked like she had no idea what was happening around her and didn't care. Needless to say they (the record company people) didn't want me to talk to her and showed me where the exit was. But I've always wondered what happened to her in that 6 month period. It was very sad to see her like that. Wasn't she in Betty Ford when they recorded Tango? Does anyone have a timeline on that? I can't remember.
"Welcome to the room, Sara," was written about her stay at Betty Ford, so that song was recorded for "TITN" when she was no longer doing coke.
But I am guessing some of her recording sessions were done for "Tango" before Betty Ford.
"Seven Wonders," for example. And the demos on the deluxe version of "TITN," like "Juliet" where her voice sounds very torn up..I think that was recorded before Betty Ford??
Old 05-20-2018, 05:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I completely understand the pain and hurt that we all feel in relation to Lindsey leaving the band. He was the band's guiding musical force since 1975 when he joined the Fleetwood Mac.

On the other hand, I understand the perspective of the other band members. If my understanding is correct (please correct me if I have this wrong), the five members agreed to the upcoming tour back in 2017. The members have said that they planned their schedules to tour from last 2018 into 2019 and then Lindsey changed his mind and decided that he no longer wanted to tour and instead wanted to start the tour in late 2019. The rest of the band spent weeks trying to convince Lindsey to honor his commitment to this upcoming tour, but he stayed firm with his decision so the band had two choices at that time:

1. To cancel the upcoming tour and rearrange their schedules to move the tour to 2019-20 or ...

2. Recruit new players to replace Lindsey for this tour

This must have been a very difficult decision to go with option #2 given everything Lindsey has meant to the band, but didn't Lindsey put the band in a tough bind? They were all planning to tour in 2018-19 and then Lindsey changed his mind. If Lindsey had simply honored his commitment to this tour, he would likely still be in the band and all would be ok.

Either way, it's painful for both sides. The classic lineup has been broken up.

That being said, it is important to note a few things.

Although Lindsey Buckingham is a mega-talent and was instrumental in creating the "classic" Fleetwood Mac sound, he wasn't an original band member. In fact, the band recorded nine studio albums before Lindsey joined the band in 1975. Truth be told, Fleetwood Mac has recorded more studio albums without Lindsey than with Lindsey.

Of course, Lindsey was the main creative force for the band's most successful period of time, but it's easy to forget that the band has recorded more music without Lindsey than with Lindsey. There is no doubt that Lindsey has been been a huge part of the band's creative and commercial success, but they also have a ton of music that doesn't include him at all.

So while the events of the past month have been very sad, I am trying to focus on the positive and look forward to what this new lineup will bring to the table. Mike Campbell is a phenomenal guitarist who should sound great especially on some of those old songs.

And Neil Finn is a world-class songwriter, lead vocalist, arranger, and collaborator who has created a lot of great music over the last four decades in various band lineups (Crowded House, Split Enz, 7 Worlds Collide, Finn Brothers, etc.). Neil's voice should blend very well with the voices of Christine and Stevie. Despite the loss of Lindsey, this new lineup has the potential to be something different, but truly special.

With all that in mind, I'm letting go of my feelings of disappointment and focusing on the magic that I hope to hear this fall and next spring.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post

Although Lindsey Buckingham is a mega-talent and was instrumental in creating the "classic" Fleetwood Mac sound, he wasn't an original band member. In fact, the band recorded nine studio albums before Lindsey joined the band in 1975. Truth be told, Fleetwood Mac has recorded more studio albums without Lindsey than with Lindsey.

With all that in mind, I'm letting go of my feelings of disappointment* and focusing on the magic that I hope to hear this fall and next spring.
In response to the "classic" Fleetwood Mac. This argument is
used over and over ad nauseam. I'd bet the general public
don't even know there was a Mac before Lindsey and Stevie.

Firing one of the 5 is so much more significant than any
of the other comings and goings that have went on with FM.

* BTW, you're not a Jedi are you?
Old 05-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I completely understand the pain and hurt that we all feel in relation to Lindsey leaving the band. He was the band's guiding musical force since 1975 when he joined the Fleetwood Mac.

On the other hand, I understand the perspective of the other band members. If my understanding is correct (please correct me if I have this wrong), the five members agreed to the upcoming tour back in 2017. The members have said that they planned their schedules to tour from last 2018 into 2019 and then Lindsey changed his mind and decided that he no longer wanted to tour and instead wanted to start the tour in late 2019. The rest of the band spent weeks trying to convince Lindsey to honor his commitment to this upcoming tour, but he stayed firm with his decision so the band had two choices at that time:

1. To cancel the upcoming tour and rearrange their schedules to move the tour to 2019-20 or ...

This must have been a very difficult decision to go with option #2 given everything Lindsey has meant to the band, but didn't Lindsey put the band in a tough bind? They were all planning to tour in 2018-19 and then Lindsey changed his mind. If Lindsey had simply honored his commitment to this tour, he would likely still be in the band and all would be ok.

Of course, Lindsey was the main creative force for the band's most successful period of time, but it's easy to forget that the band has recorded more music without Lindsey than with Lindsey. There is no doubt that Lindsey has been been a huge part of the band's creative and commercial success, but they also have a ton of music that doesn't include him at all.

So while the events of the past month have been very sad, I am trying to focus on the positive
welcome!

and what you wrote here is EXACTLY the band / their PR want you to think. and you fell for it. hook, line and sinker. even if that was what happened, they should have waited for one of the 5, and it would have been disloyal if they haven't.

yet, it's much much worse. 4 days before he was fired, (not left, note that!) Lindsey thought FM tour is starting in August 2018. and he was on board with that. guess when their tour is actually starting now? on lindsey's bday, in October? so what was their reasoning to fire him after he agreed to tour on the dates they wanted him to??

Lindsey's wife has been very clear on social media: the truth is even worse than what i told you above.

if you care to see FM, the band that will be touring is not it.

if you care about good music - there are tons of better bands more versed in blues for example, out there, to spend your money on, than these chimeric sad backstabbing money-hungry bunch of people who lured Finn and Campbell in FM with lies and deceit, if they really told them Lindsey "left" on his own will. he's been very clear he didn't.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
welcome!

and what you wrote here is EXACTLY the band / their PR want you to think. and you fell for it. hook, line and sinker. even if that was what happened, they should have waited for one of the 5, and it would have been disloyal if they haven't.

yet, it's much much worse. 4 days before he was fired, (not left, note that!) Lindsey thought FM tour is starting in August 2018. and he was on board with that. guess when their tour is actually starting now? on lindsey's bday, in October? so what was their reasoning to fire him after he agreed to tour on the dates they wanted him to??

Lindsey's wife has been very clear on social media: the truth is even worse than what i told you above.

if you care about good music - there are tons of better bands more versed in blues for example, out there, to spend your money on, than these chimeric sad backstabbing money-hungry bunch of people who lured Finn and Campbell in FM with lies and deceit, if they really told them Lindsey "left" on his own will. he's been very clear he didn't.
Thanks for all the info. This is a really complicated situation. You're saying that Lindsey agreed to tour this year, but I haven't seen that reported in any articles I've read. Where is that reported? Has Lindsey said that he was ok touring in 2018-19? The band is saying that Lindsey wouldn't tour until late next year, and they didn't want to cancel their 2018-19 tour that they had been planning.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. This is a really complicated situation. You're saying that Lindsey agreed to tour this year, but I haven't seen that reported in any articles I've read. Where is that reported? Has Lindsey said that he was ok touring in 2018-19? The band is saying that Lindsey wouldn't tour until late next year, and they didn't want to cancel their 2018-19 tour that they had been planning.
yes there is a video of him saying that day after Musicares. https://www.facebook.com/WelshWitchP...0190174895244/

same video on twitter here -

and also Rick Turner (the luthier who makes Turner guitars) described Lindsey's plans for concurrent 2018 Fleetsood Mac and solo tours here (pasted from his facebook statements, with his permission) -

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showpo...3&postcount=25

multiple Buckingham McVie band members corroborated these accounts.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 05-20-2018, 07:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

So while the events of the past month have been very sad, I am trying to focus on the positive and look forward to what this new lineup will bring to the table. Mike Campbell is a phenomenal guitarist who should sound great especially on some of those old songs.

And Neil Finn is a world-class songwriter, lead vocalist, arranger, and collaborator who has created a lot of great music over the last four decades in various band lineups (Crowded House, Split Enz, 7 Worlds Collide, Finn Brothers, etc.). Neil's voice should blend very well with the voices of Christine and Stevie. Despite the loss of Lindsey, this new lineup has the potential to be something different, but truly special.

With all that in mind, I'm letting go of my feelings of disappointment and focusing on the magic that I hope to hear this fall and next spring.
I understand your pov, just be aware there are a few people here who will definitely try to talk you out of seeing Fleetwood Mac live! But I'm with you, I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds in store for FM and the individual members, plus Lindsey. I see the shake up as taking one ingredient out and putting in another one, and I'm curious as to what the final product will be like.
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamnotafraid View Post
I'd bet the general public
don't even know there was a Mac before Lindsey and Stevie.
So what? I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan. I don’t care what the general public thinks. They’ll think it’s cool that Tom Petty’s guitarist is in the band.

Quote:
Firing one of the 5 is so much more significant than any
of the other comings and goings that have went on with FM.
Not really, though. Surviving the departure of Peter Green was the better part of amazing. That was much bigger relatively speaking than even the potential loss of Stevie would be. He was 90% of the early Mac. The band played on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle
Really? I thought Mick, John, and Christine were going to be there. Christine was on all but three Fleetwood Mac studio releases (first album, In Chicago/Blues Jam Session At Chess, and EP), so it seems that this is every bit Fleetwood Mac as any other lineup. Maybe it’s not the Fleetwood Mac you want to see, but it’s still Fleetwood Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
talking about articles, if you read any articles last week, you'd read that Lindsey said that he is out of the band not by his doing and not by his choice.

his statement got so much publicity that it even pushed Rumours up the billboard chart this week!

Old 05-20-2018, 07:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
So what? I’m a Fleetwood Mac fan. I don’t care what the general public thinks. They’ll think it’s cool that Tom Petty’s guitarist is in the band.
let's be honest: general public just knows that someone played the guitar in Tom Petty's band, and barely noticed any guitar parts in his songs.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
let's be honest: general public barely knows that Tom Petty had a guitarist, and barely noticed any guitar parts in his songs.
And probably couldn’t name a Lindsey Buckingham song outside of GYOW.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 05-20-2018, 07:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
And probably couldn’t name a Lindsey Buckingham song outside of GYOW.
couldn't name who Lindsey Buckingham is, period!

that's why the name of Fleetwood Mac, hiding behind penguins is so important for the band. FM brand is what they plan on will be selling those tickets - and you know it, the same as i do.

and that's why it's so laughable when Neil or Mike are being told this will get their names out there. no it won't. yes, people who went to the concerts went for Stevie and came out raving about Lindsey, but majority of general public has no clue who Lindsey Buckingham is, and they won't know who Mike Campbell or Neil Finn are after they do one half-baked tour under Fleetwood Mac moniker either.

the guy who arranged all biggest "classic-era" FM hits, who wrote 3 of 10 of their top 10 hits (with SN writing 2 and CM 5) is a complete unknown name to most of the general public. as is Christine McVie, woman who wrote half of their top 10 hits. that's just a reality.

i'm amazed at all the backlash the band's been getting considering how unknown Lindsey's name is and how much lies the band has been putting out there.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
talking about articles, if you read any articles last week, you'd read that Lindsey said that he is out of the band not by his doing and not by his choice.

his statement got so much publicity that it even pushed Rumours up the billboard chart this week!
Yes - I saw that. So the story (based on the information provided by the band and by Lindsey) is that the band was planning a 2018-19 tour for the last year. A few months ago, Lindsey changed his mind and decided that he no longer wants to tour as Fleetwood Mac for at least another year. The band then spent a while trying to convince Lindsey to change his mind, but were unsuccessful. Then the band had to choose either to fire Lindsey or delay their tour for a year. They chose to fire him. Thus, it wasn't Lindsey's choice to leave Fleetwood Mac. He was fired. However, it was his choice to back out of his commitment to tour in 2018-19 which ultimately led to the band firing him.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes - I saw that. So the story (based on the information provided by the band and by Lindsey) is that the band was planning a 2018-19 tour for the last year. A few months ago, Lindsey changed his mind and decided that he no longer wants to tour as Fleetwood Mac for at least another year. The band then spent a while trying to convince Lindsey to change his mind, but were unsuccessful. Then the band had to choose either to fire Lindsey or delay their tour for a year. They chose to fire him. Thus, it wasn't Lindsey's choice to leave Fleetwood Mac. He was fired. However, it was his choice to back out of his commitment to tour in 2018-19 which ultimately led to the band firing him.
no. that's just band's PR story.

you can believe whatever you want though. you seem to have already made up your mind and that's your prerogative.

also november 2018 or 2019 is not clear in any of the stories.