User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
It is not a publicity stunt. Stevie wanted him gone and wanted Mike in .Mick is greedy so he abetted her in this .I think it is pretty much that simple.
yup. after watching and listening to these interviews, this comes through loud and clear.

one of the recent times - of many! - when Stevie delayed FM tour, Mick went to Playboy and said FM is over. LB went on the road and had a hugely successful acoustic tour.

even if you believe the lies they are trying to sell, you'd think - wtf? if he wanted to delay the tour why either of the options above was not considered for him when it was for her?

why in your 70s instead of exiting gracefully you FORCE tthat you just HAVE TO do a cash grabbing tour? doesn't Mick play all those songs that he's now raving as never played all. the. time with his MBB band? Christine would have been happy to tour with him and play some blues, as she did at some of his Maui gigs.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2018, 02:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
I suspect she had been planning this very soon after the death of Tom Petty, when Mike Campbell became available. But she had to have a pretext--then Lindsey fell into the trap with his plans for a solo tour, then she struck. Her idea of "happiness" is ditching Lindsey. That's the real Stevie for you, not that fairy goddess everybody has been worshipping. Mick of course will cut ties with anybody for the money. John follows Mick. And Chris can be cold blooded when necessary--I've read some old anecdotes about her (take what Bob Welch said about her). So it doesn't necessarily surprise me that much.

The only thing that puzzles me is that they would risk losing tour revenue by firing one of the Rumours 5--but their accountants probably calculated the loss would not be significant, and that was enough for Stevie.
The fact that this is a distinct possibility is so gruesome and sad.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:15 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
I agree with you...she's obsessed with TP and with being a Heartbreaker. Yet, if he EVER would have even entertained her for a role in his band, he would have friggin tossed her out after one tour. In no way could I ever see Tom Petty putting up with Stevie's general nonsense in the way that Fleetwood Mac has for decades.
It has always seemed Tom was bewildered at how determined she was to be attached somehow to him. And yes, I bet he knew enough about Stevie to prevent her from joining the Heartbreakers at any cost. The "no girls allowed" rule was probably made just to block her
Old 04-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
I suspect she had been planning this very soon after the death of Tom Petty, when Mike Campbell became available. But she had to have a pretext--then Lindsey fell into the trap with his plans for a solo tour, then she struck. Her idea of "happiness" is ditching Lindsey. That's the real Stevie for you, not that fairy goddess everybody has been worshipping. Mick of course will cut ties with anybody for the money. John follows Mick. And Chris can be cold blooded when necessary--I've read some old anecdotes about her (take what Bob Welch said about her). So it doesn't necessarily surprise me that much.

The only thing that puzzles me is that they would risk losing tour revenue by firing one of the Rumours 5--but their accountants probably calculated the loss would not be significant, and that was enough for Stevie.
I think it's along these lines too. After Tom died, her perspective and things changed and she decided she wants to only have fun, and for her going on tour with the ex that she fights with isn't fun.

As for the money, I think they felt that bringing in Mike Campbell would bring a lot of TPATH fans as well, and that would help balance out the FM fans they lost.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

just a thought though... would Tom's death be that much more compelling than seeing other people she knows die recently-- Prince, Glenn Frey for example? I mean I know she was closer to Tom than to those guys, but they are all in her age cohort.

I think his death makes another good smokescreen for the fact that it was really about Mike suddenly now being available, and her better relationship with Mike than with Lindsey, and "gosh golly if I could just switch out Lindsey and bring in Mike how great would life be???!!!!"

And the speculation that musicares gave her the perfect storm of opportunity to make the dream happen......seems more and more plausible to me.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My sense is Fleetwood Mac became simply business for Stevie when the band didn’t adequately feed her ego after Bella Donna. How many great, inspired, memorable for being good NEW songs has she given to Fleetwood Mac since Mirage? Like three, maybe?

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 04-28-2018, 02:40 PM
NotonRodeo
This message has been deleted by NotonRodeo. Reason: Others have explained it better than I could :)
Old 04-28-2018, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
just a thought though... would Tom's death be that much more compelling than seeing other people she knows die recently-- Prince, Glenn Frey for example? I mean I know she was closer to Tom than to those guys, but they are all in her age cohort.

I think his death makes another good smokescreen for the fact that it was really about Mike suddenly now being available, and her better relationship with Mike than with Lindsey, and "gosh golly if I could just switch out Lindsey and bring in Mike how great would life be???!!!!"

And the speculation that musicares gave her the perfect storm of opportunity to make the dream happen......seems more and more plausible to me.
Prince was way younger. and she barely knew him. Sheryl Crow and many others knew him way better yet they didn't try to milk his death like SN has. it's pathetic and disrespectful.

i would bet you that she only wanted to switch Lindsey for Mike. not bring in another guy. she would have her songwriter and friend, and be able to milk Tom's death too.

and she'd have all the power in the band. she'd be the boss!

but alas, Mick was not willing to give up all the power that easily! he is the CEO or HR manager or whatever your point of view is after all. so ok, he got rid of the guy she hated enough that she was willing to throw the wrench in the already booked tour, but he blindsided her and brought in someone who's his friend - Neil Finn. now when he didn't have LB anymore to counter-balance Nicks, he needed someone else for his "majority".

oh and now Chris' vote may actually count. Stevie dismissing and belittling her in that RS interview, she may want to think twice about continuing in that vein.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-28-2018, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
Prince was way younger. and she barely knew him. Sheryl Crow and many others knew him way better yet they didn't try to milk his death like SN has. it's pathetic and disrespectful.

i would bet you that she only wanted to switch Lindsey for Mike. not bring in another guy. she would have her songwriter and friend, and be able to milk Tom's death too.

but alas, Mick was not willing to give up all the power that easily! he is the CEO or HR manager or whatever your point of view is after all. so ok, he got rid of the guy she hated enough that she was willing to throw the wrench in the already booked tour, but he blindsided her and brought in someone who's his friend - Neil Finn. now when he didn't have LB anymore to counter-balance Nicks, he needed someone else for his "majority".

oh and now Chris' vote may actually count. Stevie dismissing and belittling her in that RS interview, she may want to think twice about continuing in that vein.
well, to be fair, they would need someone to fill in the vocal slot LB would leave... and Mike wasn't gonna be the guy to fill it. They would have had to bring in *somebody* who could take on a main singing role.

Which speaks to LB's talent-- he's the lead guitar player AND a lead singer. Not many bands have that. There's a lead guitarist who does't sing lead (maybe some backing vocals) and then the singer. Pick almost any band and that's the case-- the lead guitarist is not a main singer, if a singer at all.

It will always take at least two people to replace him onstage.... that says a lot.

I am still working my way thru the Sirius interview... but Mike makes it a point to say "I've known Stevie for years, we get along great, and we've always been very creative together" (He said similar on CBS, which according to what they say in the Sirius recording they literally just finished before talking to RS)

The fact he said that twice-- once in each interview-- I think is revealing, to me anyway. It's like he's heard her side of things,her complaints about LB like they don't get along and they don't write songs together and all that.... and he's intentionally or unintentionally signaling that he's aware of her complaints about LB and he's sure that he and she won't have the same problems. It just made it clearer to me she's vented to Mike about her issues with LB (probably forever) and made it clear what she's looking to have in a guitarist. He comes off as def "her" guy. Chris seems to have bonded much more strongly to Neil.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post

We should expect more drama in the months to come The politics in this band is Byzantine. The removal of Lindsey made a tense situation extremely unstable, so anything can happen.

And Stevie trying to lecture Chris on who wrote Station Man? Good lord. Maybe Stevie is on something new ...
Old 04-28-2018, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmn3 View Post
That's where Azoff comes in...if he can sell promoters on Eagles without Glen Frey, I'm sure he could sell Mick on being able to sell Fleetwood Mac without Lindsey.

I agree with you...she's obsessed with TP and with being a Heartbreaker. Yet, if he EVER would have even entertained her for a role in his band, he would have friggin tossed her out after one tour. In no way could I ever see Tom Petty putting up with Stevie's general nonsense in the way that Fleetwood Mac has for decades.
BUT Glenn died, not fired by some bitter hag. That's a huge difference in fans appreciating the band!
Old 04-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

For Stevie and Mick this tour is ALL about the cash and nothing more. They calculated that adding Mike (TP fans) and Neil (all the Australia fans when they tour there) would offset the loss of some diehard fans. The casual fan thinks Lindsey is a girl and Stevie is a man for God's sake. Which means they do NOT care about the diehard fan or art. They care about one thing, and we all know what that is....cha ching.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

From the Sirius Rolling Stone interview:

Mick:
"There was a huge onus on... on... first a decision of, "can this happen?" and, once I had that, it was all about the enthusiasm that became...you know, in increments..with Stevie, with me, and, and then John... there were huge conversations about.... this was a huge moment in Fleetwood..of course.. and I mean that with respect to the fact that you know, Lindsey, now not in the band... there's... no way around the fact that..that's ..that's a massive part of, of the legacy of a band. It's also, in my world, something that felt that it... if everyone was in a place of..of wanting to have an enthusiasm about being a musician and continuing.. uh.. with the band, that it's not insurmountable. [Chris says "Yeah, and..."] So that is what we embarked on. And it was hugely challenging"

The interviewer says, "And just to clarify, I've seen some confusion, now, did he quit or was he fired, or was it somewhere in between, just how would you clarify his departure?"

Mick: "All of.. all of... all of the..uh, the fired words and the...and all, they're all ugly references as far as I'm concerned. But not to hedge around, an impasse of hitting a brick wall... it was not a happy situation for, for us in terms of, of the logistics of a functioning band, and in truth, no secret to... anyone in the room quietly, without going into the... some of the things had a muscle memory of not being hugely... fun. And to that purpose..uh, we..we made a decision that we could not go on uh with Lindsey. And so it's really up to... people such as yourself with "what do you mean you let him go?" We made the decision we could not go on without you." (sic)

And then the publicist or Karen or someone comes in and tells them time is up. The interviewer gets in one more question to Neil and then asks about rehearsal time. Stevie says 2 months 5 days a week, because they aren't doing all the same songs like before, where they only needed 5-6 weeks because it's all the same songs as previous tours. But this time they'll do a bunch and discard, and all that.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-28-2018 at 03:57 PM..
Old 04-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
From the Sirius Rolling Stone interview:

The interviewer says, "And just to clarify, I've seen some confusion, now, did he quit or was he fired, or was it somewhere in between, just how would you clarify his departure?"

Mick: "All of.. all of... all of the..uh, the fired words and the...and all, they're all ugly references as far as I'm concerned. But not to hedge around, an impasse of hitting a brick wall... it was not a happy situation for, for us in terms of, of the logistics of a functioning band, and in truth, no secret to... anyone in the room quietly, without going into the... some of the things had a muscle memory of not being hugely... fun. And to that purpose..uh, we..we made a decision that we could not go on uh with Lindsey. And so it's really up to... people such as yourself with "what too you mean you let him go?" We made the decision we could not go on without you." (sic)
What in the world is Mick saying? I don't understand a word of it. He said he is not hedging around, but he refuses to say in definite terms what happened. "Muscle memory of not being hugely fun"? WTH does that mean?

That's what happens when you lie and you want to pretend you're being candid.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The two interviewers talk afterwards and one says:

"I think the Eagles tour, I think that showed them.. a huge amount here. That...when Glenn Frey first died...Don Henley said, "ah... we can't tour agin, that would be pure greed that would be insanity"... but.. they did. They brought in Vince Gill and they're playing stadiums. And.. as long as the songs are played, and enough people are there.... as long as Stevie Nicks is on stage and they're playing the hits, I think most people are not gonna care, crazily enough."

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-28-2018 at 03:50 PM..
Old 04-28-2018, 03:43 PM
Registered

I can imagine how much more bewildering and confusing Stevie was. Oh the disgrace. I'm ashamed now of ever having been a fan of a band like this.