User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-29-2018, 12:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I think they are banking (no pun intended) on the media being far more forgiving than they might actually be.
Yes I think they believe (and I think they may be right) that this will all blow over and everyone will forget about it soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by button-lip View Post
I think the November 2019 thing was also on the RS article, .
Yes, in more than one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
More sweeping statements....
I'm a Stevie fan and I loved the Buckvie album, and don't view Lindsey as a monster for calling it Buckingham McVie.
The constant generalising about Stevie fans does get irritating. And I realise it's not going to change.
I agree that all Stevie fans are being tarred with the same brush as the superfans. Contrary to how others want to similarly whitewash people on here as Lindsey "superfans" or Lindsey apologists, I got into FM because of Stevie and was a major fan of hers. I have never been a Lindsey "superfan". I've actually only been a "superfan" of the Five, together. The truth is both S & L have engaged in bad behavior. It's just that his has been at least whispered about and then outright talked about for a long time, while hers has not... until recently when some of her more unflattering diva behaviors have come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
It's not even an age thing. Somewhere along the line, someone decided that concerts need to sound like the records. Like, EXACTLY like the records.
Now this, I think, is something that can be pinned on Lindsey more than some of the other members of FM. He goes over the top with it on most of his solo tours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonSister75 View Post
Of course it must be all Stevie's fault, as Lindsey is an innocent angel and couldn't possibly have done anything to contribute to what just occurred
I have not heard any of the folks here saying that Lindsey is an angel. Far from it. He's a pain in the a$$ a lot of the time, and can be a spoiled diva. All people are saying is, the same can be said of Stevie. She's just packaged it better over the years.

Quote:
If they were actually ARTISTS, and not whores, this scenario would've happened when she refused to record for BuckVie.
This is where the current story about it being about scheduling falls apart. If you go back and read the interviews where she was being patently obstructionist to the band getting any work done -- touring OR recording-- she should have been fired according to the rules they are now claiming they applied to Lindsey. They didn't, we all agree, because she's the big money maker. Yet they will continue to pretend they deal with all members equally. It's that hypocrisy that has been made glaringly obvious in recent events, and the fact that they seem to believe we can't all see it is mind boggling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl84 View Post
I became a fan in 1997, for me what's really sad is the latest events seems to have negated all of the progress we THOUGHT had been made since 1997. Apparently we were all wrong. 30 years later and Mick is just as ok to replace people now as he was 30 years ago. At one point in 2013 we thought the ice had melted enough between Buckingham and Nicks that maybe could finally lead to an interesting chapter. It's been SLOW progress for the past 20+ years but fans stood by hoping for good ground in the future. I think we were all hoping that time would in fact heal wounds and as we enter these twilight years of this band, we were hoping for that lightning to be captured in a bottle just one more time. There was probably no greater joy than the 2013 interviews that revealed the possibility of stevie and Lindsey really working together again.

But the reality is - relations were paper thin back in 97 and apparently remain so to this day. Despite everything they have done together since.
Well-said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I would have loved it if these 5 members had been able to continue recording for years, but for various reasons, it didn't happen. Lindsey left for 10 years, Christine wasn't allowed to contribute after the Dance until she returned full time, and Stevie didn't want to contribute after Say You Will, with the exception of one song for their EP. So there were lots of factors and reasons we didn't get more music more often. But that doesn't negate the good stuff for me, and I hope it doesn't for most FM fans.
And the difference is that Lindsey officially left when he didn't want to participate anymore. Christine officially left when she didn't want to tour anymore. Stevie, however, did NOT leave. She just impeded the band. She expected them to tolerate her unwillingness to participate, and didn't have the cojones, or the decency, or whatever, to be honest and just leave. And the band didn't hold her to the same standard. Chris was given conditions for her return. Stevie has never been given conditions. We all see the hypocrisy, which can be justified in business terms as her being the money maker. The band, however, keeps either deluding themselves or trying to delude us about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Stevie would never be fired because she's the big star. She's the person most people buy FM tickets to see. She holds the cards and they all know it. No matter what she did she would never be fired.
Does no one remember Mick's interviews in 2012 when he basically was crying that Fleetwood Mac is dead because Stevie was so caught up in her solo project she wasn't agreeing to tour or do anything for the band:

"I don’t believe Fleetwood Mac will ever tour again,” Fleetwood says dryly. “But I really hope we do. We have rehearsed and prepared for it since 2010. We were supposed to tour in 2011, but we delayed it for a year to allow Stevie Nicks to support her solo record and for Lindsey Buckingham to do the same with his. I’ve always been supportive of my bandmates doing solo albums, so long as we kept our band together. If you look at the credits as far back as you like, I’ve always played extensively on many of them, and this time was no different. I played drums on most of Stevie’s latest album, the one she is still out there supporting and the one that is the reason that for now she refuses to do a Fleetwood Mac tour. It comes down to her, and for the first time, I think, even Lindsey has lost his patience. All of this uncertainty is a tremendous change for me.”
http://www.fleetwoodmacnews.com/2012...ayboy.html?m=1
If you click the link you can read even more revealing things he says. And if you read the 2013 profile of the band on your, you can see that it says they were supposed to head out before, but had to delay a year because of Stevie. Had this been any other band member they would have been axed and replaced so Mick could go out and make his money. But that won't happen with Stevie and they all know it. The story the band is telling that Lindsey INSISTED on delaying the tour is a very twisted version of the truth. Lindsey knows he doesn't have that power like Stevie.
And this is a good example.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwd View Post
I'm not a super Lindsey fan, but my opinion on why Stevie chose not to participate is because she had nothing to bring to the table anymore. Or she felt inadequate in the presence of two working musicians that do work well together writing songs. One of whom is her ex, that for whatever reason she can't quite let go of. It was documented how well Lindsey and Chris did get along in the studio with comments being made how easy it all was. NO DRAMA! Then they toured to support the album both having a great time on the road. Everything was an enjoyable experience for both of them. I believe Stevie felt very snubbed through the whole process. It's really not a far stretch of the imagination to think this was part of what went down in Lindsey's firing. Besides Stevie herself said that she wants to spend the next ten years of her life dancing and singing in her apartment. SHE VANTS TO BE HAPPY!!!
I don't disagree with much of what you said, and I really appreciate a reasonable discussion like this. It's absolutely possible Stevie didn't participate because she has nothing to bring to the table. Maybe she doesn't have any new songs to share with FM. And yes, Lindsey and Christine got along very well last year. I think they pretty much always have, and she seemed even more appreciative of him since she unretired (a new word, I think!) The only part we disagree on is that their collaboration drove Stevie into such a frenzy of jealousy that she schemed to get Lindsey out of FM. The only way I would have believed that is if Buck/Vie had shot to #1, sold millions of copies, and maybe been nominated for or won a Grammy or two. Then I could see Stevie being jealous. But the album just did ok, probably about the same as her 24 Karat Gold album, but nothing that would have made her jealous, imo. As I've acknowledged, Stevie (and everyone else in FM) likes to make money, and I'm sure she would have been happy to keep the guaranteed sure thing in place for their tour unless something major had happened.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

An advertisement just came across my newsfeed. The comments are running way in favor of people not going.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
An advertisement just came across my newsfeed. The comments are running way in favor of people not going.
It’s interesting to me the timing of the NY, Boston, Philly shows. Pretty late in the tour. I think the Forum is their largest venue for in ‘18 (I may be wrong with this statement, I really pay attention to East coast as that’s where I live. Also interesting no rumblings of Europe or Australia. I actually think Stevie’s solo tour had more dates lined up than this. Do you think it’s a “testing the waters” type exercise?
Old 04-29-2018, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

It’s a lot of shows to be testing the waters. With there ages I wouldn’t be booking that far ahead. That being said I hope it fails.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't disagree with much of what you said, and I really appreciate a reasonable discussion like this. It's absolutely possible Stevie didn't participate because she has nothing to bring to the table. Maybe she doesn't have any new songs to share with FM. And yes, Lindsey and Christine got along very well last year. I think they pretty much always have, and she seemed even more appreciative of him since she unretired (a new word, I think!) The only part we disagree on is that their collaboration drove Stevie into such a frenzy of jealousy that she schemed to get Lindsey out of FM. The only way I would have believed that is if Buck/Vie had shot to #1, sold millions of copies, and maybe been nominated for or won a Grammy or two. Then I could see Stevie being jealous. But the album just did ok, probably about the same as her 24 Karat Gold album, but nothing that would have made her jealous, imo. As I've acknowledged, Stevie (and everyone else in FM) likes to make money, and I'm sure she would have been happy to keep the guaranteed sure thing in place for their tour unless something major had happened.
I hear what you're saying but the jealousy thing goes way, way back to 1975 when Christine & Lindsey wrote World Turning together. She was jealous of them working together. With the BuckVie album I think that's exactly it: they were working together and having a good time and going on the road. I don't think she cared whether the album did great or not. It was the mere fact that Lindsey was working with Christine in a way he never could (maybe never wanted) with her. Maybe Christine & Lindsey wanted to work together throughout their careers but never did because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. Don't forget that ALL FM members have always catered to her needs.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced

Last edited by The Catdancer; 04-29-2018 at 02:49 PM..
Old 04-29-2018, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I dont think the tour will fail--money wise. There are plenty of people who want to see Stevie. That'll bring them in. Plus the more modest draw of Christine. There are also those who are genuinely interested in Mike Campbell's guitar work.

I don't know many who would go just to see Neil Finn, though he's a very good singer.

But the tour will be a disappointment for those of us who have slogged through years of hoping for new material from the Rumours five. It will also lack Buckingham's incredible nervous energy, as someone else point out earlier in this thread. That simply cannot be duplicated or substituted.

The tour is also galling for those of us who have heard Buckingham throughout the years argue for a different approach to the FM tours, his vocal criticism of the nostalgia and "greatest hits" format, his desire to carry the band a bit further into space. One of the things I noticed on the "Unleashed" tour was how powerful and interesting the interplay was between the core instrumental trio. It was stunning, actually. And the band did a very different take of Tusk, which was better than just about any version I've seen or heard since 1980. Where the show paled was when Nicks took the lead. She seemed comparatively disengaged and unhappy.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Haha, between DDIO and Something So Strong, I couldn't tell you anything about them/him.
That's because you are American and he has had little success there.
Something so Strong is in my opinion one of his worst songs, it is a vanilla radio song released to break the US market .....it is no way a reflection of his skill and talent as a musician. Try listening to I've Got You, Sinner, Truth, Nails at my feet, Into temptation... to name a few of his quality songs.

I am devastated that Stevie has destroyed this bands legacy and conspired to fire Lindsey, it makes me sick to my stomach and your picture above may for once be actually appropriate.........but Neil is a fellow kiwi and he is brilliant. I don't begrudge him for taking in this gig to get worldwide exposure
Old 04-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotonRodeo View Post
I was personally not hoping for much (anyway I am too far to attend one of their concerts). I was just hoping that they would take one look in the mirror, take a deep breath, and go out on tour for even a dozen or so dates on a Farewell Tour just to properly say goodbye and thank their fans who stood by them through all their ups and downs, then maybe release a tour video and a final Greatest Hits. But no. We get THIS.
Agreed and well said. This was the right thing to do.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
I hear what you're saying but the jealousy thing goes way, way back to 1975 when Christine & Lindsey wrote World Turning together. She was jealous of them working together. With the BuckVie album I think that's exactly it: they were working together and having a good time and going on the road. I don't think she cared whether the album did great or not. It was the mere fact that Lindsey was working with Christine in a way he never could (maybe never wanted) with her. Maybe Christine & Lindsey wanted to work together throughout their careers but never did because they didn't want to hurt her feelings. Don't forget that ALL FM members have always catered to her needs.
Of course this has nothing to do with money. Stevie couldn’t care less if the album failed or was a success. It’s the personal time they share, working together perfectly fine and without jumping at each other’s throats.

I honestly don’t care how ridiculous it sounds. Some people here claim to be Stevie’s fans, yet they don’t know how to read her body language. She has been pissed at Lindsey since Musicares.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
That's because you are American and he has had little success there.
Something so Strong is in my opinion one of his worst songs, it is a vanilla radio song released to break the US market .....it is no way a reflection of his skill and talent as a musician. Try listening to I've Got You, Sinner, Truth, Nails at my feet, Into temptation... to name a few of his quality songs.

I am devastated that Stevie has destroyed this bands legacy and conspired to fire Lindsey, it makes me sick to my stomach and your picture above may for once be actually appropriate.........but Neil is a fellow kiwi and he is brilliant. I don't begrudge him for taking in this gig to get worldwide exposure
Most of us are know Neil and Mike have tremendous talent. (By the way I loved I got You) It's not about them.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
Most of us are know Neil and Mike have tremendous talent. (By the way I loved I got You) It's not about them.
Both extraordinarily talented, but unfortunately, Neil and Mike are victims in this whole charade.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
Both extraordinarily talented, but unfortunately, Neil and Mike are victims in this whole charade.
They are indeed.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Catdancer View Post
I'm familiar with that quote, but I doubt Stevie even remembers saying that, let alone feeling that way. I remember the context of that quote as something like she saw Lindsey and Christine actually collaborating on World Turning, and it made her sad because Lindsey had never worked with her on a song like that. I think they did co-write a song on Buckingham Nicks, but due to her comment, I took that to mean they wrote the song together, but not in the same manner as World Turning was done. Like she wrote it, gave it to Lindsey, and he added words or music on his own, which was different than sitting down and jamming and creating a song together. That's my interpretation, purely speculative.

The Buck/Vie collaboration sounds like the typical FM model of making an album- Christine writes her songs, hands them off to Lindsey, he does his stellar production, maybe adds a lyric here or there, and voila! I don't think that type of collaboration would make Stevie jealous to the point that she would want Lindsey out of the band. It's just too much of a leap for me. I mean, why would she only be angry with Lindsey and not Christine? Clearly they all wanted Stevie on the album, but she declined. It just doesn't make sense. And it's not that I think Stevie is incapable of feeling jealous! Like I said, if the album had sold like crazy, I absolutely could see her being jealous and acting irrationally.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I'm familiar with that quote, but I doubt Stevie even remembers saying that, let alone feeling that way. I remember the context of that quote as something like she saw Lindsey and Christine actually collaborating on World Turning, and it made her sad because Lindsey had never worked with her on a song like that. I think they did co-write a song on Buckingham Nicks, but due to her comment, I took that to mean they wrote the song together, but not in the same manner as World Turning was done. Like she wrote it, gave it to Lindsey, and he added words or music on his own, which was different than sitting down and jamming and creating a song together. That's my interpretation, purely speculative.

The Buck/Vie collaboration sounds like the typical FM model of making an album- Christine writes her songs, hands them off to Lindsey, he does his stellar production, maybe adds a lyric here or there, and voila! I don't think that type of collaboration would make Stevie jealous to the point that she would want Lindsey out of the band. It's just too much of a leap for me. I mean, why would she only be angry with Lindsey and not Christine? Clearly they all wanted Stevie on the album, but she declined. It just doesn't make sense. And it's not that I think Stevie is incapable of feeling jealous! Like I said, if the album had sold like crazy, I absolutely could see her being jealous and acting irrationally.
Agree. The idea of her being jealous is ludicrous since it could have been a FM album had she decided to record. There was nothing to be jealous of. The album was good and the tour was fun but neither made near the waves they would need to make to make her jealous.