User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Spare me a little Live 1975

Fleetwood Mac – Spare me a little of your love Live 1975

This is a Christine song from the Bare Trees album. The period of 1971-72 was nothing less than chaotic for Christine McVie. After joining Fleetwood Mac permanently in 1971, she was spending 24 hours a day with husband John– which was something our lovely Christine was not used to, due to the fact that she had come out of early retirement of being a housewife and didn’t see John nearly as much then. It was in these years that Christine had a « barely concealed » affair with Bare Trees engineer Martin Birch after John’s drinking routine became stronger and stronger. At this time, they decided to give their bumpy marriage another go.

Why not lie here in my arms And listen to the night You must know you have certain charm And I feel the time is right I think that the third line « You must know you have certain charm » is referring to the fact that Martin IS married, and Christine is too…but Martin’s vibe is so strong that she really cannot resist.

The « time is right » because John is so « out of it » and Martin is just the thing she needs to break away for now.** So spare me a little (just a little bit) Spare me a little (just a little bit) Spare me a little of your love (or your love) Spare me a little (just a little bit) Spare me a little (just a little bit) Spare me a little of your love (of your love) Lauren had a lot of good ideas on this one. Christine isn’t asking for a lot, just a little bit of John’s love, which she hasn’t seen for a long time. It is thought that …

Published 5 octobre 2010.

Filed in Business - Infos US and tagged 1975, Fleetwood, Little, Live, Love, Spare.

25 comments Write a comment!
sub5mile at 5 octobre 2010 1 h 24 min
why so many photos of Stevie? It’s Christine’s song, and Stevie and Lindsay weren’t even in the band yet! Stevie can’t hold a candle to Christine! What a voice!

Reply to this comment

sisterhoney15 at 5 octobre 2010 1 h 51 min
Beautiful pictures……

Reply to this comment

nytbrd at 5 octobre 2010 2 h 19 min
@Geefor Are you kidding…they add nothing…please…nobody can harmonize like Steive or play a guitar like Lindsey…..you must be tone deaf!

Reply to this comment

B4inSF at 5 octobre 2010 3 h 03 min
Christine is the best! thanks for this!

Reply to this comment

nytbrd at 5 octobre 2010 3 h 57 min
@wombchakra Well…Stevie is the most successful member of Fleetwood Mac…..you say Stevie and people know her…you say Christine and they are like…who?

Reply to this comment

nytbrd at 5 octobre 2010 4 h 30 min
@B4inSF LOL…NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Reply to this comment

bobwogan at 5 octobre 2010 5 h 07 min
Great tune from an awesome band, but where’s the guitar in the heart of the song and the solo? Could hear everything else great in the mix but only really heard the guitar in the ride out…too bad !! Love the Mac !!

Reply to this comment

attilako at 5 octobre 2010 5 h 36 min
That was the time when songs contained great exciting arrangement, riffs harmonies end melodies…. Love the band

I’m actually making that kind of music, or at least using many of the 1970′ s elements.

Attila

Reply to this comment

bizual at 5 octobre 2010 6 h 29 min
The real FM were Peter Green’s FM

Reply to this comment

DanielMcDirty at 5 octobre 2010 6 h 54 min
@SomeAbercrombieGuy
Oh, me too. They sound great together.

Reply to this comment

DanielMcDirty at 5 octobre 2010 7 h 17 min
I love the great harmonies Stevie puts on this.

Reply to this comment

Waltzenfree at 5 octobre 2010 7 h 22 min
Lady steals my heart. Ive always thought Christine was a Big part of The Mac. The band’s second album, Mr. Wonderful, was released in August 1968. It was an all-blues album that featured Christine Perfect (McVie) of Chicken Shack. Check out the artwork on Kiln House, Macs fourth album. Shes been there from the beginning.
I got to see her in Denver 82 when she came through with a group called The Zoo, Mick on drums, WHAT A PREFORMER. All McVie the whole night,
Beautiful.

Reply to this comment

thebuzzman13 at 5 octobre 2010 8 h 21 min
This is great. Specifically what is this from? Venue, date bootleg? Thanks

Reply to this comment

B4inSF at 5 octobre 2010 8 h 37 min
This is Christine McVie!!! She was THE best female singer on Fleetwood Mac–

Reply to this comment

dandeexxxx at 5 octobre 2010 8 h 51 min
If you put great people on a good song its gonna fly!

Reply to this comment

dandeexxxx at 5 octobre 2010 9 h 06 min
this is Christines song

Reply to this comment

luangu at 5 octobre 2010 9 h 45 min
Stevie’s voice was magic then, so rich.

Reply to this comment

2boredagain at 5 octobre 2010 9 h 47 min
Damn right.

Reply to this comment

2boredagain at 5 octobre 2010 10 h 42 min
My sentiments exactly, it just says it all.

Reply to this comment

dandeexxxx at 5 octobre 2010 11 h 09 min
its before their time

Reply to this comment

dandeexxxx at 5 octobre 2010 11 h 32 min
why not lie here in my arms and listen to the night?

Reply to this comment

bri69lee at 5 octobre 2010 12 h 19 min
As I listen to this wonderous piece, I’m whisked back to the carefree 70′s, and how life was so different. Christine’s voice and brilliant hooks are great. But, what makes this song awesome is the backbone of the group, the rhythm section of John and Mick. They drive, Christine asks if you want a ride. It’s Friday after 5, sun is shining, you kick off the weekend with a fine bottle of wine, and you got Spare me live comin thru the speakers, along with other Mac favs- now that’s the high life!

Reply to this comment

InTheStillness82 at 5 octobre 2010 12 h 26 min
I really like this song- I think they all sound great

Reply to this comment

Bigstooler0 at 5 octobre 2010 12 h 52 min
I have to agree. After all this sounds awfull. Buckingham and Nicks…. P.U.
Christine Mcvie best damn female blues singer here or there.

Reply to this comment

wombchakra at 5 octobre 2010 13 h 21 min
Spare me so many stills of stevie nicks while christine mcvie is singing a song from pre-stevie album – if you had video clips i would understand, but this is not necessary…we could worship christine just as well, especially since there are plenty of pictures of her from the seventies available

http://blog.travail-du-net.com/busin...ove-live-1975/
Old 10-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Waltzenfree at 5 octobre 2010 7 h 22 min
I got to see her in Denver 82 when she came through with a group called The Zoo, Mick on drums, WHAT A PREFORMER. All McVie the whole night,
Beautiful.
Sorry to burst your bubble there Mr. Waltzenfree, but that was Bekka Bramlett you saw, not Christine. A little too much Schnapps maybe?
Old 06-02-2015, 02:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was just researching Fleetwood Mac set lists in 1970 and discovered Spare Me a Little Of Your Love was played at Filmore West in August 1970. I was wondering whether anyone can corroborate this? If this is the case I wonder why it wasn't included on Future Games, especially as the album was so short.

Anyway, if it was written as early as August 1970 it would more likely be about John rather than Martin Birch as suggested in the opening post here.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I was just researching Fleetwood Mac set lists in 1970 and discovered Spare Me a Little Of Your Love was played at Filmore West in August 1970. I was wondering whether anyone can corroborate this? If this is the case I wonder why it wasn't included on Future Games, especially as the album was so short.

Anyway, if it was written as early as August 1970 it would more likely be about John rather than Martin Birch as suggested in the opening post here.
I can at least confirm that an early version of that song exists from the 1970 tour. Whether or not it was played at the Filmore West, I don't know.

I had an MP3 of a live performance of it but I might not anymore. It was good sound quality but her performance of it was pretty bad--the vocals a kind of moan/shout, and the tempo a slow blues. Clearly they reworked it for Bare Trees.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have a KH tour version somewhere. Very, very different from the BT version. It reminds me more of the Grateful Dead than Fleetwood Mac,.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
I can at least confirm that an early version of that song exists from the 1970 tour. Whether or not it was played at the Filmore West, I don't know.

I had an MP3 of a live performance of it but I might not anymore. It was good sound quality but her performance of it was pretty bad--the vocals a kind of moan/shout, and the tempo a slow blues. Clearly they reworked it for Bare Trees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I have a KH tour version somewhere. Very, very different from the BT version. It reminds me more of the Grateful Dead than Fleetwood Mac,.
Thanks guys. I still find it odd they didn't develop it for Future Games. If it was written during the Kiln House period I could understand it not making that album due to the legal issues.If they thought enough of it to play it live you'd imagine they'd have reworked it for the next album though. Anyway, glad it eventually turned out as it did for Bare Trees.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Thanks guys. I still find it odd they didn't develop it for Future Games. If it was written during the Kiln House period I could understand it not making that album due to the legal issues.If they thought enough of it to play it live you'd imagine they'd have reworked it for the next album though. Anyway, glad it eventually turned out as it did for Bare Trees.
Actually, Christine had a number of songs in her arsenal when she joined. A few I can think of are "Lonely Without You" (which can be heard live in one of the sets from the Madison Blues compilation); some blues shuffle I can't recall the name of (possibly "All Right for Now"?) which I believe Steve MacD once shared with us--it's opening chords are almost identical to those that introduce "Remember Me"; and the four songs she recorded with her solo band for a radio performance (also on Madison Blues).

I think "Spare Me" was not used on Future Games because in making that album the band were purposefully trying to create a new sound and look entirely ahead. Danny Kirwan, for example, could have included "Purple Dancer" or "Down at the Crown," though the band seemed dead set on forging ahead with an entirely new sound and new songs. In this way, Future Games is among the most radical albums in the FM catalog. It got mixed reviews--and a harsh write up in Rolling Stone. Perhaps this is why Bare Trees seems closer in spirit to Mac's previous albums, a return to guitar-dominated rock with driving blues rhythms. Bare Trees was also very quickly recorded, which means maybe Christine didn't have enough time to write two new songs for it. "Homeward Bound" was new. With "Spare Me" she and Danny selected from the vault...
Old 06-03-2015, 03:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
...Danny Kirwan, for example, could have included "Purple Dancer" or "Down at the Crown,"
Well I cant forgive him for this.

Quote:
... the band seemed dead set on forging ahead with an entirely new sound and new songs. In this way, Future Games is among the most radical albums in the FM catalog. It got mixed reviews--and a harsh write up in Rolling Stone. Perhaps this is why Bare Trees seems closer in spirit to Mac's previous albums,
10 years or so before Tusk/Mirage.
Danny was there ahead of Lindsey Buckingham!
Old 06-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yes, he was. And Future Games is definitely a BAND effort.

Here's that Christine song I couldn't remember:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=flet...right+now&sm=3
Old 06-04-2015, 01:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, he was. And Future Games is definitely a BAND effort.

Here's that Christine song I couldn't remember:

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=flet...right+now&sm=3
Wow, thanks so much. Its like finding treasure when you come across something you never knew existed.
I've got to say the bare bones are there- its a fun, bouncy number. I absolutely get the 'Remember Me' connection.
Great pics on that slideshow.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for posting - love that song. I wish there was more on Future Games. I just wish there was more from that era in general. The Danny/Christine combo was just as great as the Lindsey/Christine combo. Danny was such a great guitar player, and so overlooked in the history of the band.