Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GateandGarden
[COLOR=Navy]
I wish that album was more piano-driven. (Cue for David to come in and talk about what piano-driven means) Actually, I'm not sure, since "The Way I Feel" is not a piano-driven song and I like it more than a few of the tracks on In The Meantime. Maybe it's not necessary to be piano-driven but just to have a more prominent piano than in most of the songs on ITM do.
I don't care what David says, "The Way I Feel" is a piano-driven song. There were lots of those songs on the Bob Welch era albums, especially after Danny Kirwan left. Penguin, Mystery To Me & Heroes Are Hard To Find have lots of piano all over the place. I think her last true piano-driven song was "Hold Me" back on Mirage.

There are plenty of keyboards on ITM, just not piano. The guitars & keyboards kind of work together. I don't think it's a guitar driven album. I wouldn't have minded if there had been more piano, but I'm happy just the way it is. Her song writing is top notch & her voice is the best I've ever heard it. Her vocals really dominate the album.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I don't care what David says, "The Way I Feel" is a piano-driven song.
I'm not sure I totally agree. While it is a song where the piano is the lead, I can't say it's what I'd called "driven." An example of "piano-drive" for me would be something along the lines of "Nights In Estoril" or "I Do." A better example might be the Beatles' "Lady Madonna," where the other instruments are getting their cues from what the piano is doing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-23-2005, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I used to think The Way I Feel was driven by the acoustic guitar, but the more I've listened to it, it really almost 50/50, guitar and piano in tandem.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:10 AM
Addicted Ledgie

It's amazing now that I think about it, but I like or love practically every single song Christine wrote in the 1970s. The only exception is "Don't Stop," which I find annoying.
I'd say there was a big drop-off in quality in the 1980s. I don't like most of "Christine McVie" ( ) or any of her contributions to "Mirage" except the two singles. Her "Tango" songs are OK, but aside from "Little Lies" they don't light my fire.
I'm not familiar with her "Time" stuff (inexcusable, I know), so I can't comment on the 1990s. And while I like most of "In the Meantime," I wouldn't say it holds a candle to her early work.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
I'm not sure I totally agree. While it is a song where the piano is the lead, I can't say it's what I'd called "driven." An example of "piano-drive" for me would be something along the lines of "Nights In Estoril" or "I Do." A better example might be the Beatles' "Lady Madonna," where the other instruments are getting their cues from what the piano is doing.
Ummm...HELLOOOOOOoooo? What about "Say You Love Me"?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
And, "Come A Little Bit Closer" & "Wish You Were Here". Of course, "Songbird" is the ultimate piano-driven Fleetwood Mac song. Even "Angel", although she didn't write it. Her electric piano drives that song.

I do agree with "Lady Madonna". That's one of my favorite Beatles songs.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess I'm just finding it difficult in reconciling the term "driven" with ballads.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I guess I'm just finding it difficult in reconciling the term "driven" with ballads.
I'm not sure Songbird is "driven". It's more in neutral, just coasting down the road.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, what about piano based song? That at least sounds a little better.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Frankly, I've always felt Mick and John were driving that song, especially live. Yeah, the piano starts everything off, but Mick and John quickly take over. And, in the studio version, by the time Lindsey gets to doing his banjo stuff, it's considerably less "piano driven," IMO. Now, YMLF, especially on the 1990 tour, would get a big

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Frankly, I've always felt Mick and John were driving that song, especially live. Yeah, the piano starts everything off, but Mick and John quickly take over. And, in the studio version, by the time Lindsey gets to doing his banjo stuff, it's considerably less "piano driven," IMO. Now, YMLF, especially on the 1990 tour, would get a big

I still think Christine drives "Say You Love Me"...John & Mick are the fireman & engineer, but Christine is the train itself.

Totally agree about YMLF, too.