User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWILDheart View Post
That'll be Stevie's doing. Especially after Lindsey walked, she got her way a hell of a lot more. Especially as Sharon and Lori were her solo back up singers.
So was Elisecia Wright; she was a hold over from the RAL tour.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I was sitting near the side/rear of the stage during one of the shows I saw on the SAY YOU WILL TOUR. I could have sworn I saw a guy sitting on an additional drum kit BEHIND Mick......and I'm not talking about the hired percussion player. He was a third percussionist backing up Mick......
Old 02-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I didn't mind having an extra percussionist or Stevie's "girls", but having HIRED HAND guitarists & keyboards to fill out the sound was bs.
I agree, although I think if Christine were still in the band, I'd be okay if they kept Brett for additional guitars/keyboards.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think I remember Mick saying that he wasn't going to have the extra percussionist this go-round.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I was sitting near the side/rear of the stage during one of the shows I saw on the SAY YOU WILL TOUR. I could have sworn I saw a guy sitting on an additional drum kit BEHIND Mick......and I'm not talking about the hired percussion player. He was a third percussionist backing up Mick......
Yes, Mick has a drum tech. Steve drums and he bottle feeds Mick and, I imagine, wipes his perspiring brow (or at least gets him towels) during the show.

Michele
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I don't think that's all that new. I know Mick has had his drum tech play additional drums on songs like "Tusk" since the "Tusk" tour.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Senior Ledgie

Although the purist in me says that I should prefer the "raw" 3-vocalists-only approach of the 70s & early 80s, I actually find much of the harmony vocals on their live recordings from those eras to be quite ragged (I'll probably get crucified for that opinion). Sometimes the problem is with the vocal arrangement (e.g. Stevie taking the high harmony on the "Dreams" chorus). But more often I suspect they just weren't working that hard to make their voices blend...effective harmony singing requires tight concentration on the other singer(s) and continually adjusting your own voice to maintain an effective blend.

In any event, using the additional singers to augment the harmony vocals certainly created a fuller, richer vocal sound (compare the chorus of "Rhiannon" on The Dance with the 1980 Live). Where I object to the female background singers is when they are used to provide standalone backup vocals, such as their "runnin' in the shadows" refrain on the GDW coda. This veers much too close to the sound of Stevie's solo work.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzubritsky View Post
Although the purist in me says that I should prefer the "raw" 3-vocalists-only approach of the 70s & early 80s, I actually find much of the harmony vocals on their live recordings from those eras to be quite ragged (I'll probably get crucified for that opinion).
I don't think you'll get crucified for that, however, I think people who don't like the backing vocalists actually enjoyed that raggedness. The songs became rawer, edgier, and morphed into something very different without all of those extra musicians and singers. Now it feels more bland.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 02-22-2013, 07:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzubritsky View Post
Although the purist in me says that I should prefer the "raw" 3-vocalists-only approach of the 70s & early 80s, I actually find much of the harmony vocals on their live recordings from those eras to be quite ragged (I'll probably get crucified for that opinion). Sometimes the problem is with the vocal arrangement (e.g. Stevie taking the high harmony on the "Dreams" chorus). But more often I suspect they just weren't working that hard to make their voices blend...effective harmony singing requires tight concentration on the other singer(s) and continually adjusting your own voice to maintain an effective blend.
I don't disagree - however I find the same issue with the backing singers. Not only do they get off a lot of the time, but I also find it's harder to hear them in general.. (And obviously, they all have their good and bad days - the problem is when ONE person is off the whole thing sounds bad. And since they had 3 people up there singing, it upped the chances for that to happen.)

If we're going to hear shaky harmonies, I'd rather it be actual band members If you're going to pay other people to do it then it better be perfect.

Last edited by WildHearted; 02-22-2013 at 07:45 AM..
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I'll only approve Sharon and Lori on this tour as long as there is one more back-up singer with them who is 45 years old, or younger. Can we have SOME 'youthful' energy on that stage?
Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DashingDan View Post
I'll only approve Sharon and Lori on this tour as long as there is one more back-up singer with them who is 45 years old, or younger. Can we have SOME 'youthful' energy on that stage?
I actually kind of like that they aren't putting 20 year olds up there on stage trying to seem relevant and youthful.

That said, I don't like all the extra people on stage period. They would be fine with an extra guitarist, a keyboardist and if one of them could sing harmony then great, and if not, then one back-up singer. I understand that they feel like they need to flesh everything out to sound more like the recordings... I just don't agree.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I understand that they feel like they need to flesh everything out to sound more like the recordings... I just don't agree.
Me too and me too. When I met Lindsey in 2006 I was talking to him about a live recording of GYOW from 1976 that he didn't remember anything about. I told him I'd burn a copy for him. His response: I wouldn't mind hearing a recording of us when we were just a five piece.

Having all the extra musicians onstage IMHO is all Stevie's idea.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Me too and me too. When I met Lindsey in 2006 I was talking to him about a live recording of GYOW from 1976 that he didn't remember anything about. I told him I'd burn a copy for him. His response: I wouldn't mind hearing a recording of us when we were just a five piece.

I don't know about the extra musicians being all her idea just because I could see where Lindsey might have been into bringing all his "layering" into the live shows & the only way to do that without over using & abusing tracks is to use the extra players & vocalists. But, I definitely think there is a huge tendency toward obsessive compulsive behavior going on. Please - relax.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHearted View Post
I actually kind of like that they aren't putting 20 year olds up there on stage trying to seem relevant and youthful.

That said, I don't like all the extra people on stage period. They would be fine with an extra guitarist, a keyboardist and if one of them could sing harmony then great, and if not, then one back-up singer. I understand that they feel like they need to flesh everything out to sound more like the recordings... I just don't agree.
I 100% agree! I love the changes that are made to songs for live performances. It's like a treat to me, like having two versions of the song to choose from.

I love that parts of this sounds so different than the album, for example:

Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I completely disagree. Remember Lindsey's 1993 tour? He had three other guitarists, a keyboardist, three percussionists, and a bass player.

(Whenever he makes that comment about how it took two guys to replace him, I think "Well, it took eight people for you to replace Fleetwood Mac.")

THE Stephen Hopkins

Last edited by SteveMacD; 02-22-2013 at 01:07 PM..