User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 01-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
My best advice is to just hang in there. The new owner seems to be an anonymous source. Traffic will pick up again when Lindsey starts his tour and when FM begin the rehearsals for their upcoming world tour.
no.

no band activity will make it come back. because however much people might be interested, unless they install pop-up blockers on their mac devices and phones, they cannot even access the site. and on other devices, loading is incredibly slow and then it times out.

there's band activity right now. tons of performers plus Bill Clinton added to MusiCares as a presenter of the award. yet the site is dead. because we cannot even see it.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-10-2018, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I think you are missing the point I was making. Lack of interest has nothing to do with the number of posts going down. Its the access to the site. When I just logged in it took 1:22 for the site to load. Many don't have such patience to read and post on a site that seems to be bogged down or offline when you try to access it. It seems to be getting worse IMHO.
exactly. and it's not even patience in my case, i just can't see any of the posts but the top one in each forum when on my phone.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 01-10-2018, 10:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks just installed ADBlocker all good now... after months of frustration, thanks for the heads up..
Old 01-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well everyone sure makes me glad I don't try to access this site on my phone! With my 5 y.o. laptop, Windows 10, Google Chrome browser I've been able to access the site without any problems, just like I have for years, without any noticeable difference.
As a long time member I will say: the traffic here DOES ebb & flow. Just when you think it's gonna tank another wave of posts and conversations come along. And I'm sure other social media has taken some people away.
I will be REAL SAD if the day comes along when we see the end to the Ledge!
Ricoh
Old 01-10-2018, 11:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I found a way in through an old link on my old computer but I was unable to load the Ledge properly all this time since whenever I was last on. (Just checked: 01-25-2017, so almost a year ago). Something titled lapi.ebay.com... is where things stop and load no more. Even now I can only load the newest thread listed per each section.

Anyway, I guess I've not been the only one.

Last edited by becca; 01-10-2018 at 11:37 PM..
Old 01-10-2018, 11:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I found a way in through an old link on my old computer but I was unable to load the Ledge properly all this time since whenever I was last on. (Just checked: 01-25-2017, so almost a year ago). Something titled lapi.ebay.com... is where things stop and load no more. Even now I can only load the newest thread listed per each section.

Yes i noticed the lapi.ebay.com, i thought it was a bit suss as well.. did you try installing a new add blocker on your PC, or it didn't work? It fixed mine straight away
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post

This makes sense. What I think is happening is that the Ads are asking for access to secure data and cookies and other personal files on the computers to research your browsing history and refine the content of the specific ads we each see. Something it broken. The other thing that could be wrong is that the portal created by the ads are looking for security vulnerabilities on the system and tryin to get root access. I have worked in IT for 20 years. You can get infected with ad bots and spyware and malicious programs, password recorders and ALL that JUST by loading a JPG ad on a website that is allowing Ads to be posted. The other thing that could be wrong is the code is bad, with redirects upon redirects. Whatever is happening needs an expert in HTML, php
Old 01-11-2018, 07:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Surely it's a bit of both though. The Ledge is never going to have the sort of active membership it may have once had due to other social media options. Interest picked up a bit at various times over the past year with various releases and tours etc. However, even then participation hasn't been great. It will pick up again over the next year when aforementioned activities take place. Traffic has, and will continue to be affected due to the load times, but even if there were no advertising at all there still wouldn't be huge numbers coming here.

(I've only been a member for a couple of years- long after its heyday). But in my opinion The Ledge has lost contributors due to;

1) Proliferation of other social media forums
2) It's not always a nice place to discuss things
3) Long load times

In that order of relevence
I agree with this however I would put reason #2 as reason #1. I know of 15-20 folks that used to come here on a daily basis that refuse to come back because of the nastiness that has become The Ledge. It is truly sad...this board was quite the deal when I first joined.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
Surely it's a bit of both though. The Ledge is never going to have the sort of active membership it may have once had due to other social media options. Interest picked up a bit at various times over the past year with various releases and tours etc. However, even then participation hasn't been great. It will pick up again over the next year when aforementioned activities take place. Traffic has, and will continue to be affected due to the load times, but even if there were no advertising at all there still wouldn't be huge numbers coming here.

(I've only been a member for a couple of years- long after its heyday). But in my opinion The Ledge has lost contributors due to;

1) Proliferation of other social media forums
2) It's not always a nice place to discuss things
3) Long load times

In that order of relevence
I have to agree with a lot of this. I took a break from The Ledge while I was in college, but I was on here almost every day back in 2010/11 at the ripe old age of 15. I couldn't see myself doing that now - a lot of bitterness (which is fine, everyone's entitled to their own opinions of course, I just don't think I would have wanted to be around those vibes).

I spend the most of my time now on Twitter. It's much easier to have a conversation because it's all instantaneous. News can spread faster, media is easier to share, and the user interface is better.

That being said, I hope The Ledge continues on. It was how I made some of my first FM friends and found a space for me online where I could actually connect with people. Whether I was ranting about fights I was getting in with my mom or getting into silly discussions about which Lindsey era I loved more, The Ledge was always there for me and I really miss it.

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 01-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
I have to agree with a lot of this. I took a break from The Ledge while I was in college, but I was on here almost every day back in 2010/11 at the ripe old age of 15. I couldn't see myself doing that now - a lot of bitterness (which is fine, everyone's entitled to their own opinions of course, I just don't think I would have wanted to be around those vibes).

I spend the most of my time now on Twitter. It's much easier to have a conversation because it's all instantaneous. News can spread faster, media is easier to share, and the user interface is better.

That being said, I hope The Ledge continues on. It was how I made some of my first FM friends and found a space for me online where I could actually connect with people. Whether I was ranting about fights I was getting in with my mom or getting into silly discussions about which Lindsey era I loved more, The Ledge was always there for me and I really miss it.
I like your photo!!
Old 01-11-2018, 10:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr View Post
I like your photo!!
Why thanks! GoS is probably my most prized piece of my vinyl collection!

SN: 4/6/11
I met my angel: 3/31/09
Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetAngel95 View Post
Why thanks! GoS is probably my most prized piece of my vinyl collection!
Great album! I love how you worked that other face in there.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I use Firefox with an ad blocker and I never see an ad on the Ledge.

I also have a direct link to the forums bookmarked. I never go to the homepage of the site. (Is there a homepage on the site?) I never have to wait to get into the forums page. It's pretty much, click the link, I'm in.

As for Facebook and Twitter, the problem is the superficiality of the "discussion." Here's a typical FB post: "I saw Lindsey & Christine last night and they were awesome." Here on the Ledge you get longer posts, more in depth commentary, MUCH more interesting dialogue.

It is very literally true that the existence of the Ledge (and, before that, the message board on the old Christine site around the time of the release of 'In the Meantime') has sustained my interest in this band. Without having the in depth and thoughtful discussion here, I honestly think my interest in Fleetwood Mac altogether would have waned long ago.

As for the fact that some folks here are a little rude sometimes, are fans really that thin skinned that they can't take a little silly insulting of their musical heroes? If that's the case, that's really kinda sad. I'd much rather have that than sycophantic hero worshipping.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
I use Firefox with an ad blocker and I never see an ad on the Ledge.

I also have a direct link to the forums bookmarked. I never go to the homepage of the site. (Is there a homepage on the site?) I never have to wait to get into the forums page. It's pretty much, click the link, I'm in.

As for Facebook and Twitter, the problem is the superficiality of the "discussion." Here's a typical FB post: "I saw Lindsey & Christine last night and they were awesome." Here on the Ledge you get longer posts, more in depth commentary, MUCH more interesting dialogue.

It is very literally true that the existence of the Ledge (and, before that, the message board on the old Christine site around the time of the release of 'In the Meantime') has sustained my interest in this band. Without having the in depth and thoughtful discussion here, I honestly think my interest in Fleetwood Mac altogether would have waned long ago.

As for the fact that some folks here are a little rude sometimes, are fans really that thin skinned that they can't take a little silly insulting of their musical heroes? If that's the case, that's really kinda sad. I'd much rather have that than sycophantic hero worshipping.
I often find that the folks that complain about rudeness or nastiness are the same ones that aren't really cordial unless you agree with them. Not all, but most cases. I have made some stellar friends here and hope I continue to do so.

I am using Chrome and don't have many problems like being reported.
Also, I find that the ads are usually my google searches.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
I put a free ad blocker on my computer...no problems now.
Same here.