Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Christine McVie
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-17-2006, 03:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Bob Weston on Christine

In his Q&A Bob Weston spoke about his thoughts on working with Christine in FM where she was "homey and quite content to be a musician" and then later, when she called him in the latter half of the seventies to work, I think, on a Robbi Patton record. At that stage he said something that surprised me. Something to the effect that she now wielded her fame and power like a weapon...

This sttrikes me as very un-Christine. Anybody know anything about what he is referring to? And if so, any thoughts?
Old 03-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi
In his Q&A Bob Weston spoke about his thoughts on working with Christine in FM where she was "homey and quite content to be a musician" and then later, when she called him in the latter half of the seventies to work, I think, on a Robbi Patton record. At that stage he said something that surprised me. Something to the effect that she now wielded her fame and power like a weapon...

This sttrikes me as very un-Christine. Anybody know anything about what he is referring to? And if so, any thoughts?
I'd imagine that the Chris Bob knew in the early seventies was a bit different than the Chris he saw after the Mac's huge Rumours success. Tons of $ and massive worldwide success had to have some impact on some aspects of her personality when working in the studio--.... and perhaps he noticed a new forwardness, and more confidence, and maybe a bit of ego as well. That's my take on it....

--Lis
Old 03-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I remember that Q & A. I thought he seemed just a bit taken aback that she had changed from when he had been in Fleetwood Mac. I think back in 1973, Chris was more in the background, letting others take the lead. After the band's enormous success, she made her presence felt, so to speak. I remember someone here on the Ledge remarked that quite a few of the people who had been in Fleetwood Mac before their big success & who had done Q & A's seemed to feel that they had gotten left behind.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfan 57
I remember that Q & A. I thought he seemed just a bit taken aback that she had changed from when he had been in Fleetwood Mac. I think back in 1973, Chris was more in the background, letting others take the lead. After the band's enormous success, she made her presence felt, so to speak. I remember someone here on the Ledge remarked that quite a few of the people who had been in Fleetwood Mac before their big success & who had done Q & A's seemed to feel that they had gotten left behind.
Which is in direct contrast to what Mick was none-too-shy about saying to the press at the time...that Fleetwood Mac would take care of those who came before. Granted he did broker a record deal with WB for Peter Green's comeback, which Peter backed out on at the 11th hour, and he did engineer Bob Welch's mass success there for a while. But, where was Jeremy? Where was Danny? Obviously Weston was "persona-non-grata", and Dave Walker was probably totally forgotten about.

Well, the perennial nose candy that was around in those days probably didn't help her personality either.

Last edited by chiliD; 03-17-2006 at 07:36 PM..
Old 03-17-2006, 07:38 PM

Could have been a little awkward for everyone. Could have been many factors too. Didn't he have an affair with Mick's wife? Could be he was insecure and she had changed from being a well to do musician to a very very wealthy musician. Maybe she felt bad about things that went down. Christine can be tough to read as well. Maybe she is a snooty bitch. Who knows!!??!!??
Old 03-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
Could have been a little awkward for everyone. Could have been many factors too. Didn't he have an affair with Mick's wife? Could be he was insecure and she had changed from being a well to do musician to a very very wealthy musician. Maybe she felt bad about things that went down. Christine can be tough to read as well. Maybe she is a snooty bitch. Who knows!!??!!??
I've feared this for a long time. I prefer not to think about it.

Homie walks away, fingers in ears......."la, la, la,"......

Me being in the production side of the business, it's a total buzzkill, when an artist turns out to be an asshole, especially when you're also a fan.
Some that come to mind:
Steve Earle- complete ass, or 100% ass by-product.
Michelle Branch-very nice.
John Mayer- also very nice.
Michelle Shocked- she was okay, her manager/husband is 100% psycho, and should be locked away.
Billy Currington- spoiled brat.
Dierks Bentley- very nice.
Junior Brown- nice, but extremely weird.

Okay, I'm done strolling down mammary lane. Most artists are aloof, at the worst(but a rare few turn out to be super nice, even outgoing towards you). I prefer to think of our dear Christine as being as friendly as apple pie!
Old 03-17-2006, 08:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

And by the way, Bob Weston was ON Jenny Fleetwood, NOT Christine.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD
But, where was Jeremy? Where was Danny?
Jeremy seems like the type who was happy doing what he was doing, and really wasn't in the least bit interested in being a popular musician. Jeremy has always stayed in contact with Mick. If Jeremy had asked Mick for help, I wouldn't doubt for a second that Mick would've gone out of his way to help Jeremy out.

And poor Danny. Mick and Jenny, at least according to the book, did try and reach out to Danny, but he freaked out. Remember, Peter and Danny both have (yes, HAVE) serious mental illness. There are pressures in the music industry that I don't think either have the ability to deal with. Peter obviously is not as mentally ill, and is able to cope, but it took nearly twenty years for him to get to that point. I'm not convinced Danny will ever get to that point. I just hope Danny will ultimately find a little peace in his life.

Of the lot, I think Bob Welch was really the only major former member who was capable of dealing with the pressures of the industry. And, even then, he only lasted for five or six years as a solo artist before going into semi-retirement.

As far as Weston goes, I was under the impression that by the time he was "forgiven," Mick was no longer managing Fleetwood Mac or Bob Welch. I could be wrong on that, though.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-17-2006, 08:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
Junior Brown- nice, but extremely weird.
And that surprises you because???

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
And that surprises you because???
I won't even tell you some of the stories that I've heard.
He's a germ-a-phobe, too. His band, and bus driver, sleep in hotels. Junior won't leave the bus. He sleeps in there alone. He thinks hotels are dirty.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie
I won't even tell you some of the stories that I've heard.
He's a germ-a-phobe, too. His band, and bus driver, sleep in hotels. Junior won't leave the bus. He sleeps in there alone. He thinks hotels are dirty.
I'm just saying that if you asked me who one of the weirdest guitarists out there was, Junior Brown might not be at the top of the list, but he'd be in my top five!

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Of the lot, I think Bob Welch was really the only major former member who was capable of dealing with the pressures of the industry. And, even then, he only lasted for five or six years as a solo artist before going into semi-retirement.

As far as Weston goes, I was under the impression that by the time he was "forgiven," Mick was no longer managing Fleetwood Mac or Bob Welch. I could be wrong on that, though.
I just read that part of Mick's book last night. Yeah, I think about the time he was ousted as FM manager, that he stopped managing Bob.

And, I can only guess that Bob only semi-retired when the marketplace stopped ringing his phone.
Bob's a GREAT guy. One of these days, I'm gonna offer to take him and his wife out to dinner, when I'm in town. He'll probably say no, but who knows?
I was there last weekend, but...........
Old 03-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi

I think for a long time Christine didn't realise how talented she is. Bob Weston probably remembered the lady who wanted to be in the background but after the huge success starting with the White Album she probably thought "hang on a minute I good at this!"

And why not? She is good at it

He was probably pissed off because she didn't defer to him (like she might have done before? Lost of men can't handle confident, talented women. (Mr Buckingham springs to mind (ducks))

Just a thought

Gail
Old 03-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh
Lost of men can't handle confident, talented women. (Mr Buckingham springs to mind (ducks))
Gail
Gail, you don't have to duck for that comment, not in this forum.

By the way, if you check out the Q & A's, you'll notice that there is a difference between those people who were in Fleetwood Mac before 1975 & those people who only knew Chris & the rest of Fleetwood Mac after 1975. It's totally different. It must have seemed strange for Bob W. to be working with Chris during the Robbie Patton album. Everything had changed. She wasn't just a member of a band. She was the producer of that album, totally different. As Gail said, she was alot more confident in what she could do. And, more than a few people have said that Chris was not afraid to give her opinion.

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-18-2006 at 11:43 AM..
Old 03-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrownsjr
Christine can be tough to read as well. Maybe she is a snooty bitch. Who knows!!??!!??
She would be if everything Bob Welch said in his first Q & A was true. On the other hand, check out the George Hawkins & Todd Sharp Q & A's. Both of those guys obviously adore her. By the way, Bob Welch's second Q & A was like night & day to his first one. That first Q & A was Bob's book that he'll probably never actually write.

Last edited by macfan 57; 03-18-2006 at 07:13 PM..