Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Lindsey Buckingham
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-13-2002, 09:24 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile Oh, I'd go!

I've never seen Fleetwood Mac in concert, so if I can get tickets to see them around here somewhere, I'll go! I'm sure FM will be perfoming some new songs from their new CD.

Yeah, Lindsey seems really nervous in The Dance, but some people are uncomfortable getting up in front of people to talk. I know I am. But once he gets going, the nerves go away. I don't think he's insecure. Isn't Stevie like that, too? She gets worked up before she goes on stage, but once she gets singing, she's OK. I love watching Lindsey perform "I'm So Afraid" in The Dance video. He really shows what he can do with that guitar!

Lee
Old 11-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sulamith
I just love the fact that he is a little nerdy and even somewhat dorky until he starts to channel, using the guitar as a kind of an antenna to the soul.
A long time ago, he used to dislike his speaking voice, claiming it made him sound like Donald Duck. Maybe that's still true .... That could make a person self-conscious about talking.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

David, you know I suspect you are really Lindsey!
Stop messing with my head like that! lol!!! haha!!

Whatever the reason he speaks the way he does, I find it very endearing and attractive in an intelligent, geekish, sort of David Byrne Talking Head kind of way! lmao!!

I think that Lindsey would be an interesting person to just sit and talk to about lots of things if you could ever get him to relax and lighten up on himself a bit.
That's one reason I get so frustrated with most magazine interviews. Most of them leave me thinking, Geez, you got this person to sit down with you and talk, and you asked them THAT?
The reader doesn't get a real sense of what that person is really like at all.

At least in Lindsey's case, you can see what he is really like when you watch him play. That is the real deal, at least to me.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I know the mods hate us to do this....BUT
I just hit a thousand baby!!!!
WOOOOO HOOO!

I know, I know.... I should get a life, right?
Old 11-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Ahhh..Lindsey...

Quote:
Originally posted by wondergirl9847
....When I watch The Dance, I want to cry because after he plays "Big Love" (I believe), he does this "YEAH!" gesture with his arm, then puts his hand over his heart like, "Aw shucks, thanks." He's so proud of himself and the audience gave him an ovation. I would LOVE to have an audience stand and clap for me, I'll bet it's the BEST feeling in the entire world!! EGO BOOST!.....
I think that is the single most genuine case of being "overwhelmed with emotion" that I have ever seen from anybody on a stage, be it theatrical or musical.

I know there's always word of how scripted and rehearsed The Dance was, but if there was a single completely genuine action that night, it was exactly what you described above. I love seeing that part every time I watch it.

Old 11-13-2002, 03:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by David

A long time ago, he used to dislike his speaking voice, claiming it made him sound like Donald Duck.
LOL.
He doesn't sound like Donald Duck, well not on The Dance anyway.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I probably will not go see FM on this next tour. I went to the "Shake The Cage" tour and "The Dance" tour, as well as seeing Stevie solo a couple of times, (as well as bunches of other concerts) and I just think I've had it with the "big arena show thing". At the risk of sounding like Roger Waters, I just think the big show thing is too remote. For one thing, in the huge arena, since interaction with the audience is VERY limited, so it seems like there's no real room for spontanaiety. All they have is the script. I guess they could jam a bit, but they don't!

And since I refuse to pay hundreds of dollars to a scalper or ticket broker, I usually end up with mediocre seats. This means that, despite my greatest intentions, most of the experience is about the drunk guy in back of me or the silly Stevie wannabe next to me, or the-friend-of-the-FM-fan-that-isn't-really-a-fan-himself-who-got -dragged-to-the-concert-and-won't shut-up in front of me. And since the real action is half a football field away from me, unfortunately, it often can't overcome the idiocy in my immediate vicinity. This in addition to the total cost (never simple as just the ticket), the hassle of dealing with thousands of people, God forbid a girl has to pee...I'm just too old for this crap anymore, and the experience is invariably a disappointment. All this is made worse by the way Lindsey spoiled me for his Out of the Cradle tour. Small venue, total immersion in the concert experience, and Lindsey actually conversing with and reacting to the audience! That's what I want from a concert these days, and I won't settle for less!

Of course, this means I'll probably never see FM in concert again, but that's OK. I would, however, pay to see any of them in a small venue. That's the stuff, man!

Take on the situation but not the torment
Old 11-14-2002, 09:34 AM

Sugar, I couldn't agree with you more. Arena concerts are a drag, especially as you get more mature. The Out of the Cradle show remains one of the highlights of my concert-going. A band that I always enjoy seeing when they come to New York is Cracker. They always play places like Irving Plaza or the Bowery Ballroom and they are absolutely electric on stage. They've never had a set list, and I've even seen them stop in the middle of a song, decide they don't really feel like playing it and move on to another one. That may piss off some fans, but I thought it was cool. I wish Fleetwood Mac would take a spontaneous approach to its shows.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Heart Lindsey's Stage Presence!!!

THAT shy breathy way that Lindsey speaks with his Heart
is what drew me to him! Then his intense Guitar Vibes!
Les and Barbara said it BEST! Lindsey is extremely unique!!!
He is the only artist I have EVER gotten EXCITED about!!!
Lindsey Is My Musical HERO!!! I really admire his work!!!Sky

Peacekeeper song ... Lindsey
Old 11-19-2002, 02:20 PM

I watched the Dance video over the weekend and made several observations. Here are two:

1) I need a DVD version now that I have the player and Surround Sound system.

2) Lindsey plays a dreadnaught acoustic with a cutaway during Over My Head. The headstock is not clear in the picture, but from what I could see, it looks like an Alvarez or a Martin. I doubt Lindsey would play an Alvarez. Does anyone know?
Old 11-19-2002, 02:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Yep, it's an Alvarez-Yairi
Old 11-19-2002, 03:55 PM

Interesting. I was pretty certain it would be an Alvarez, though it might have been one of the Martins with the extra stuff on the headstock. Well, now I know. Thanks Chili.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I am seeing FM live because of Lindsey. Not because of anyone else.

I have seen Stevie a few times since I saw the Dance tour and shes great...but she's NOT Lindsey.

When once Stevie went nuts on stage, she doesn't anymore.

Lindsey goes crazy and I LOVE IT!!! My fav scenes from the Dance tour is when he'd fall on the fall for NTF and just kinda lie there....it was wonderful.

I also love how you never knew how he'd react to Stevie...kiss on the mouth? A hug? He was definitely playing there. The sexual chemistry and the boyish giddness just totally thrill me to no end.

Lindsey was compared to Bruce Springsteen in the early 80's when they were speaking of him during the Mirage tour, they tore thru Stevie's voice, Micks antics and Christine's mellowness but seemed to really like that Lindsey went insane. I love watching him smile , flirt, play like a maniac, sweat and all.

I don't really like the speeches...because he is SO nervous it makes me nervous. His speaking voice isn't the best but I guess with looks and talent that he has, he had to have one"flaw" , if you could even call it that.

He is raw and plays unscripted and just does what he feels I believe.

I can't wait to see him and I think he will NOT disappoint!!!
Old 11-22-2002, 06:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Arrow Dangit Janet...

Girl, you're getting me all excited about the new tour!! I cannot WAIT to see Lindsey LIVE AND IN PERSON!! AAAHHH! *faints*
Old 11-22-2002, 07:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Oh, yeah, baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet
I am seeing FM live because of Lindsey. Not because of anyone else.

Me too! I adore Stevie but I've seen her live and while it's great, Lindsey is going to be the show stopper. He is just so wild! He doesn't hold anything back, he just gets out there and plays his heart out and forget the inhibitions and nerves that come out when the guitar is silent.

It's exciting to watch as well as hear, because his face and body language is expressive of all that emotional power that is coming out of that guitar. So, hey, if he wants to throw himself on the stage, react to Stevie, or fake an orgasm, more power to him! (Although I admit that I hope Lindsey stays away from Mick. It's not enjoyable to watch him react to HIM! lol)

I've just seen Lindsey live once at AHI, and he only played on four songs. The songs he did play - Love Minus Zero, Go Insane, Big Love, and Landslide - were awesome, but I'm looking forward to some hard-core rocking that Lindsey does oh, so, well.

I'm also hoping Stevie lets go a little more, too! I know she's a little insecure about her voice now, but I say, sing the songs with heart and no one will care if you take everything down an octave or change the melody a bit (we love improvisation!). So, fast Rhiannon, please!