Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
Its not about begrudging anyone. Its just not a very creative process regardless of the tribute. A simple video of Kirwan playing when Chris is performing his song would be appropriate especially since his death was just over 3 months ago. I don't think because many don't know who he is would be the worst excuse ever. Hello!!! They are playing his music. I see it an easy connection for anyone to make during the song.
What else are they showing? Photos of birds flying? Its just a total lack of creativity. But be assured, Stevie made sure Tom's tribute was huge. Mike did not want to do Free Falling and I am sure he did not press Fleetwood Mac to do the tribute. It was all Stevie.
How anyone can perform Tom's music and do a tribute but also play Danny and Bob's songs and not even a quick photo or video of him playing is just plain dumb. All Stevie did was bring her 24K Gold video projector and project on the screen what she has been showing for over a year now.
Is Mary Torrey doing the video screens this tour? She may not be that familiar with Danny but certainly is familiar with Bob. Someone in the band would probably have to ask her to add them and they haven't.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
Weird that they couldn't find a good picture without a Getty Images watermark for the Petty tribute...
I wondered about that too.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Not if it was a photo of Lindsey giving the middle finger
He should have that on the screen behind him at his solo show.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Tom was so much more culturally significant than either Danny or Bob, though. I say this as someone who lists the FG/BT lineup as my favorite, but that’s me as a FM fan.

Danny and Bob deserve a tribute, but that their songs are gracing this tour is more tribute than they’ve gotten in 41 years.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 10-09-2018, 03:37 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
All I am saying is that video clips of them playing could have shown up almost as a silent tribute during each song. It could have been 7 seconds. It also would educate the causal fans who these key members were to Fleetwood Mac. Good gosh, Stevie had endless videos of herself in the younger days endlessly streaming behind her during her 24K Gold tour. I just think it would have really been cool. I think I better take over the controls of the production now
I wholeheartedly agree. I think the audience would have enjoyed seeing some old pics or video of the band. Hell even if they had to put Danny, Bob and Peter's names on the bottom of the screen-whatever it still would have been cool.

As for Tom's tribute they showed multiple pics of him, him and Mike, him and Stevie. There's a Consequence of Sound show review I posted in the Chicago thread and the reviewer wonders why Free Fallin was covered instead of Insider, IWRTY or SDMHA. I personally think Stevie's calculation of it being a hit song and therefore the reason to play it was correct. In the parking lot I heard people talking about how cool it was and one girl said she waited all night for them to play it. It was a major sing along.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:31 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Completely off topic but I feel like you should conced defeat on your As Long Ad You Follow wager! Sure they didn’t do As Long as You a follow, but I feel like All Over Again was the even bigger post rumours upset!

And on topic, I think this is a perfect question/request that needs to be asked/made during the next Mick Meet and Greet. Why aren’t there any photos of Bob and Danny during their songs?

Do people who’ve been to the first 2 shows know if they even introduce those songs as being written by Bob and Danny?
All Over Again was definitely the surprise of the set but I was equally surprised at Hypnotized. However my bet was directed at As Long As You Follow and since it was not played, not sure how you say I did not win?
But winning the bet has nothing to do with anyone. It just means I don't eat my shoe live on Facebook
Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
I don't know if they were showing pictures of either of them but didn't Mick speak about Danny and Bob during the Tulsa show? I thought there was a mention of both.
Apparently Christine called Danny a founding member (!) but doesn't even mention that he died, much less call the song a tribute to him. I can't find a video of "Hypnotized" to verify that there was a dedication to Bob Welch.

Tom Petty is Stevie's friend. The photos are mostly of her with Tom. None of the other band members had much of a relationship with him (I don't count Campbell). It's nice, but it should have been saved for a solo show. It's not as if Tom Petty was a huge influence on Fleetwood Mac's music or something like that. He's got a tribute for one reason and one reason only: he was Stevie Nicks' bestie (in her mind).

To put it in perspective, Tom Petty gets a more visible, pointed tribute in a Fleetwood Mac show than Glenn Frey currently gets in an "Eagles" show.

Last edited by sodascouts; 10-09-2018 at 02:11 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
Tom Petty is Stevie's friend. The photos are mostly of her with Tom. None of the other band members had much of a relationship with him (I don't count Campbell). It's nice, but it should have been saved for a solo show. It's not as if Tom Petty was a huge influence on Fleetwood Mac's music or something like that. He's got a tribute for one reason and one reason only: he was Stevie Nicks' bestie (in her mind).
I don't agree. Mike is now part of FM and he has said he didn't even think he would continue musically, at least not on this level. So this is a very fitting tribute for Tom. The audience is loving it. I think people would be upset if he wasn't mentioned.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post

To put it in perspective, Tom Petty gets a more visible, pointed tribute in a Fleetwood Mac show than Glenn Frey currently gets in an "Eagles" show.
This seems like more of a problem with the Eagles doing too little then then Fleetwood Mac doing too much for Tom?

He Will Burn You Down
Old 10-09-2018, 03:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
I don't agree. Mike is now part of FM and he has said he didn't even think he would continue musically, at least not on this level. So this is a very fitting tribute for Tom. The audience is loving it. I think people would be upset if he wasn't mentioned.
It might raise an eyebrow if Petty wasn't even mentioned but I don't think people would be that bothered if they didn't play a Tom Petty song. I certainly think people could live without the images. As others have said, when you consider Kirwan and Welch were actual members then multiple images of Tom Petty seem disproportionate- especially as this is a tour celebrating 50 years of this band.

The biggest issue I have is placing it in the encore. I have it in my head an encore should be a rousing, fun celebration of the band. A tribute for another artist might be better buried somewhere in the middle of the set.

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 10-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
It might raise an eyebrow if Petty wasn't even mentioned but I don't think people would be that bothered if they didn't play a Tom Petty song. I certainly think people could live without the images. As others have said, when you consider Kirwan and Welch were actual members then multiple images of Tom Petty seem disproportionate- especially as this is a tour celebrating 50 years of this band.

The biggest issue I have is placing it in the encore. I have it in my head an encore should be a rousing, fun celebration of the band. A tribute for another artist might be better buried somewhere in the middle of the set.
Good points, all. The only thing I might differ with you about is the encore. Songbird was always in the encore and would hardly fit the description of a rousing, fun celebration of the band.
Old 10-09-2018, 04:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

I have no problem with them doing it for the first few shows since the tour began so close to the anniversary of Tom's death. As to continuing it for months into the tour, I don't know about that... With that said, based on the videos of FF and the reports of those who attended saying how the crowd sang along and really got into it, it appears Stevie was right about it being "a moment".
Old 10-09-2018, 04:53 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feather Blade View Post
I have no problem with them doing it for the first few shows since the tour began so close to the anniversary of Tom's death. As to continuing it for months into the tour, I don't know about that... With that said, based on the videos of FF and the reports of those who attended saying how the crowd sang along and really got into it, it appears Stevie was right about it being "a moment".
Agreed on fading it out, maybe they throw in something new in for the 2019 shows?

As for "Free Fallin'" being a great sing-along moment, they'd get the same reaction from the crowd if they played Journey's "Don't Stop Believing," but that doesn't mean it necessarily belongs in a "celebrating 50 years of Fleetwood Mac" show. I think the evidence of that is the overall positive reaction to DDIO. People like songs they know.

I guess all I'm saying is just because it gets a positive reaction from people inside the arena doesn't mean it's "fitting" for Fleetwood Mac to be playing it. And I say this as someone who absolutely adores TP, saw him live many times, etc.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Did Lindsey Buckingham Take Fleetwood Mac’s Getty Images Password With Him?
Fleetwood Mac are currently touring the country without Lindsey Buckingham, the guitarist whose entry to the band in the mid-’70s (along with Stevie Nicks) inaugurated what is now widely considered to be their classic period. (Sorry, Peter Green fans.) Buckingham departed Mac in April, over what was apparently a disagreement about touring schedules. Whether he quit or was fired depends on who you ask. But even more important than the precise nature of Buckingham’s exit is another lingering question: Did he take Fleetwood Mac’s Getty Images password with him?

Just look at the following images, which originally appeared in a Consequence of Sound review of a recent show in Chicago:

As CoS’s reviewer Michael Roffman also noted: Those photos still have watermarks on them! For those readers who don’t have jobs that require regular use of licensed images from wire services like Getty—such as, oh, I don’t know, writer at a music website—those little tags are a way for Getty to preview their wares without allowing you to pirate them, and they appear when you view or download a photo but aren’t actually logged into a paid account. Getty doesn’t advertise subscription rates on their website, but a 2010 Gigaom article puts them in the range of a couple hundred dollars a month.

Even if rates have gone up since then, it seems like they should be affordable for one of the most commercially successful bands of all time. Unless, of course, Buckingham was the person who had access to the account, and it would be too awkward to call him up and ask for the password, but they also don’t want to just start a whole new account, because that just seems like a waste. Again, if you’re someone who uses such a service for your job, this sort of feeling is probably relatable, and may seem entirely reasonable to you. Then again, footage from a more recent concert shows the same sequence of images, this time without watermarks, so maybe they got it all sorted.
Fleetwood Mac: If, for whatever reason, you’re still in need of a Getty Images password, just let us know and we’d be happy to share ours. Just don’t tell them we said so, because that seems like a terms of service violation.

https://www.spin.com/2018/10/fleetwo...ges-watermark/
Old 10-09-2018, 10:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netter75 View Post
I would guess the difference there would be that Stevie and Mike (and potentially the others) were a hell of a lot closer to Tom than either Bob or Danny.

Mick, John, and Chris had that falling out with Bob over royalties and were on pretty terrible terms for a long time. I think they resolved it okay before his death? I can't quite remember, but either way their relationship wasn't exactly warm at his passing. Of course he was also an acquaintance of Stevie's, evidenced by her performing with him at Cal Jam and the Roxy. However, we have no idea their relationship status in the years leading up to his death, especially with his sour relationship with the rest of the band.

As far as Danny goes... I would assume Stevie doesn't know him well at all and the rest of the band hasn't been in contact with him since he was fired on the Bare Trees tour, outside of occasional updates. He was homeless and off the grid for a number of years wasn't he?

EDIT: Though I am of the opinion that both Bob and Danny are just as deserving of the tribute and wish they would have been treated similarly.
At the end of these day, many of these situations can be equated with that of former co-workers. How many former co-workers from jobs that existed 20 years ago does anyone actually keep in touch with? I seriously doubt that most members of Fleetwood Mac have had very much to do with Bob Welch and Danny Kirwin in the 25 years prior their deaths. Did they make social phone calls and schedule lunch dates on a regular basis? I doubt it. For that matter, I really don't think current members of The Mac spend large amounts of time together when not on tour. When Lindsey WAS in the band, my impression was that he and Stevie spent very little time together when not onstage. I think Stevie and Mick are probably the closest.

During the 18 years that Christine McVie was ABSENT from the band, do you think that she and Stevie saw each other on even a semi-regular basis? What I imagine was that Stevie only saw her during the rare times when Fleetwood Mac played a show in London. I can't imagine them even speaking by phone on a regular basis during that 18 year hiatus.

Rolling Stone (1984)
-Indeed, a touch of sadness creeps into Christine’s voice when she discusses the transformation of Stevie Nicks’ personality over the years. “Ten years ago, she really had her feet on the ground, along with a tremendous sense of humor, which she still has. But she seems to have developed her own fantasy world, somehow, which I’m not a part of. We don’t socialize much.”
-Christine McVie

In addition, I don't think Stevie was nearly as close to Tom Petty as one would think. Did she love him and idolize his musical legacy? Sure. Spending quality time cultivating an ongoing friendship is another story.