User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
It's well known that the tour had been booked and everyone else had signed off, but Lindsey hadn't yet. At the last minute he'd said he was going to do it, but then changed his mind.
That's what I thought but I think Macfan4life would disagree...
Old 11-16-2018, 09:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
There's such a big difference between pre and post Betty Ford Stevie, if she laid new vocals for the remixes way after the fact I think we'd be able to pick it out right away.
Agreed. The remix vocals have to be pre-Betty Ford. They're a hot mess!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Words matter. Statement analysis 101.
I have never heard from anyone including Mick that Lindsey signed a contract to tour in 1987. Lindsey is smarter than that. He did not breach a contract because he never signed any contract. The statements thrown around from Mick's book and elsewhere are "contracts were signed." (What kind of contracts? T- shirt, promotion, hotel rooms?, etc.) However, they never mention what contracts and by whom were they signed? See my point. If Lindsey had signed a contract and then tried to back out of it, Mick and others would have said "Lindsey was contractually obligated to tour and he signed the contract agreeing to such tour dates, etc."

I hope that makes me more clear.

Personally I don't think Lindsey even ever orally agreed to tour. I say this because I heard with my own ears in May/June 1987 that Lindsey said there were "NO PLANS to tour at this time. There is silence about the matter and I don't know exactly what that means." Did it leave the door open to tour? Of course! Did it close the door? NO

YES of course there was lots of talk about touring including Lindsey. However when the time line was closing, the band realized they did not have firm commitment from Lindsey. Thus the meeting at Christine's house "Sh*t or get off the pot moment. Stevie tried her best to convince Lindsey to tour which then turned ugly.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-16-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Old 11-16-2018, 06:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Changed My Mind On "Family Man"

After reading the posts above and listening again, I now suspect it is not in fact Stevie at the 2-1/2 minute mark of "Family Man." I think it is instead an example of what Lindsey described as making something sound like Stevie when it in fact is not.

That would mean, regardless of whether she is technically on other songs to a negligible extent, "Little Lies" is the only song (other than her own) where Stevie is clearly identifiable.

Am I wrong?

In a sense, this was predominantly a Buckingham McVie album.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
After reading the posts above and listening again, I now suspect it is not in fact Stevie at the 2-1/2 minute mark of "Family Man." I think it is instead an example of what Lindsey described as making something sound like Stevie when it in fact is not.

That would mean, regardless of whether she is technically on other songs to a negligible extent, "Little Lies" is the only song (other than her own) where Stevie is clearly identifiable.

Am I wrong?

I'll go that one better. I do not think Mick is drumming on Caroline. It's a combination of machinery and Lindsey himself. The attack is exactly the same as a bunch of drum tracks on Law and Order and Go Insane.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I'll go that one better. I do not think Mick is drumming on Caroline. It's a combination of machinery and Lindsey himself. The attack is exactly the same as a bunch of drum tracks on Law and Order and Go Insane.
the drums on that song have always sounded like a drum machine to me. I'd have to go back and listen again to see if I hear *anything* that sounds like a real drum with a real person playing it on there at all. It's one thing I'd change about his approach to a lot of his songs over the years...all the technology frequently makes them too cold and eventually makes them sound dated...I'll take real drums any day.
Old 11-17-2018, 03:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Am I wrong?

It really was. I don't know if we've ever discussed John's bass parts but do we even know if those were 100% him from this time period?
Old 11-17-2018, 03:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gldstwmn View Post
It really was. I don't know if we've ever discussed John's bass parts but do we even know if those were 100% him from this time period?
from this Penguin Q&A: http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/...nmcvie_qa1.htm

I've been under the impression that Lindsey's Tusk tracks are mainly himself playing all the instruments, and that the same is true with Tango In The Night. Of course there are occasions where I think you are playing: the official Tusk documentary shows you in the studio laying down the bass track for "Save Me A Place". And on Tango In The Night I think you are playing on "Caroline" as well, not to forget the ending of the title track. But in general, is it just him playing nearly everything on his tracks on the Tusk and Tango In The Night albums? (Gaius, , , Finland)

Hi Gaius,
Thanks for the questions. As far as I know and remember, every bass track on a Mac album was played by me. If you find out they snuck one by me, let me know. All the best! McVie
Old 11-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

I've been under the impression that Lindsey's Tusk tracks are mainly himself playing all the instruments, and that the same is true with Tango In The Night. Of course there are occasions where I think you are playing: the official Tusk documentary shows you in the studio laying down the bass track for "Save Me A Place". And on Tango In The Night I think you are playing on "Caroline" as well, not to forget the ending of the title track. But in general, is it just him playing nearly everything on his tracks on the Tusk and Tango In The Night albums? (Gaius, , , Finland)

Hi Gaius,
Thanks for the questions. As far as I know and remember, every bass track on a Mac album was played by me. If you find out they snuck one by me, let me know. All the best! McVie
Long Grey Mare and one of the Rambling Pony versions had Bob Brunning on bass as well as(I think) I believe my time ain't long (their first single). Bob was in the band at the time, not John so maybe those don't count, although I'm not sure if he was subbing for John when LGM was cut.

I've seen some sources that state that Peter Green played a six-string bass on the Green Manalishi. However, that track was never on a studio album.

That Revelation's bass parts were played by Bob Welch is well known, but Bob mentioned in a Penguin Q & A that he also played bass on Keep on Going as well, and that there were some others...

I believe Steal your heart away started out as Lindsey a Lindsey solo song with Chris, Mick and John Pierce on bass. Stevie added some backing vocals during the Say You Will sessions. Whether John McVie re-did some or all of the bass parts on that track, I don't know, but John Pierce is listed as an additional performer on the sleeve notes of Say You Will, so he must have played on something, presumably SYHA.

I can't think of any others off-hand, but I wouldn't be surprised if I were to find out that the bass on Big Love was Lindsey.

I can also detect my dear late wife Aileen Scarrott's unique bass licks on Sentimental Lady.

Last edited by Mr Scarrott; 11-17-2018 at 04:37 PM..
Old 11-17-2018, 06:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=cbBen;1243930]After reading the posts above and listening again, I now suspect it is not in fact Stevie at the 2-1/2 minute mark of "Family Man." I think it is instead an example of what Lindsey described as making something sound like Stevie when it in fact is not.

I dont hear anything around that 2 1/2 minute mark that sounds like goat woman at all. It's very obviously Sped up and slowed down Lindsey.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:

Hi Gaius,
I thought we'd discussed this. Like I said I've now forgotten more about FM than I remember. The only reason I asked was because Mick said in his book or somewhere that John would come in to lay down his parts, hang out, presumably get buzzed and then go home forgetting to lay them down. He does quantify his statement with "As far as I know and remember." His playing is very recognizable and there are just a few of songs where I'm not quite sure.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I can also detect my dear late wife Aileen Scarrott's unique bass licks on Sentimental Lady.
Boy she's good. Which version?
Old 11-25-2018, 09:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showth...t=Tango+Vocals

This is a link to a similar discussion from 2011.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks.

Too bad WB insisted she have three songs, though maybe that helped the album sell as well as it did.

How the band could pass up "Whole Lotta Trouble" for "Sara" and "When I See You" is beyond me.

Sounds like Stevie is on nothing but her own songs and "Little Lies." Some people seem to think she's also on "Family Man" at the 2-1/2 minute mark (I used to), but others think it's just Lindsey using effects to make it sound like her (I am now in this camp). Sounds also like Lindsey should have left her on at least "Big Love" if not others too.

As I said, this may be one time Lindsey as producer let his resentment of Stevie get the better of him. That said, he pulled gold from ashes and made a great album.

Last edited by cbBen; 11-26-2018 at 05:51 AM..
Old 11-26-2018, 07:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Thanks.

Too bad WB insisted she have three songs, though maybe that helped the album sell as well as it did.

How the band could pass up "Whole Lotta Trouble" for "Sara" and "When I See You" is beyond me.

Sounds like Stevie is on nothing but her own songs and "Little Lies." Some people seem to think she's also on "Family Man" at the 2-1/2 minute mark (I used to), but others think it's just Lindsey using effects to make it sound like her (I am now in this camp). Sounds also like Lindsey should have left her on at least "Big Love" if not others too.

As I said, this may be one time Lindsey as producer let his resentment of Stevie get the better of him. That said, he pulled gold from ashes and made a great album.
In Mick's first book he mentions Stevie brought What has rock n roll ever done for you but they preferred When I see you again.
I think Stevie wanted fresh material. However if you could go back in time, it would have been the ultimate time to bring songs like Running through the Garden, Smile at you, etc.
I think any song really would have been better than Welcome/Sara and WWISYA