User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 11-26-2018, 02:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
How the band could pass up "Whole Lotta Trouble" for "Sara" and "When I See You" is beyond me.
It's intriguing trying to imagine how Fleetwood Mac circa 1986 would have rendered Whole Lotta Trouble. What we got on the Mirror solo album is a big, horn-heavy, galumphing production—an old-fashioned blues groove of the kind that Joe Cocker and Leon Russell used to shout through. The way it was done in 1989, it never appealed to me, but based on her video commentary, it apparently appealed to Stevie as a great instance of R&B.

But what would Fleetwood Mac have done with this thing? A straight 4/4? A slow blues burn with B3? Horns? Electric guitar blues licks where the horns currently are? Cokie Stevie bellowing at random?

Quote:
As I said, this may be one time Lindsey as producer let his resentment of Stevie get the better of him. That said, he pulled gold from ashes and made a great album.
The assumption that LB was seething with rage at Stevie and sabotaged her earnest attempts to participate in the album doesn't go far with me. He was trying to make an amazing album, and if he thought her emotive vocals didn't fit everywhere, so be it.

On several occasions, he ditched a great vocal of hers in favor of an inferior one, as on the Angel early vocal (one of the sexiest things she ever laid down) on Tusk Deluxe. It's just a difference of opinion—his and mine! He also used an inferior vocal of That's Alright for Mirage. Her earlier takes are stronger, sweeter, more country. But he and the rest of the band obviously thought what they chose was superior. What are ya gonna do?

Dashut or Caillat did a Q&A for the Penguin, but I can't reach it. They may have addressed this issue.

moviekinks.blogspot.com
Old 11-26-2018, 02:49 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
As I said, this may be one time Lindsey as producer let his resentment of Stevie get the better of him. That said, he pulled gold from ashes and made a great album.
I don’t think Stevie’s on any of Lindsey’s Mirage songs either. Just her three songs and “Love in Store”.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It's intriguing trying to imagine how Fleetwood Mac circa 1986 would have rendered Whole Lotta Trouble. What we got on the Mirror solo album is a big, horn-heavy, galumphing production—an old-fashioned blues groove of the kind that Joe Cocker and Leon Russell used to shout through. The way it was done in 1989, it never appealed to me, but based on her video commentary, it apparently appealed to Stevie as a great instance of R&B.

But what would Fleetwood Mac have done with this thing? A straight 4/4? A slow blues burn with B3? Horns? Electric guitar blues licks where the horns currently are? Cokie Stevie bellowing at random?

The assumption that LB was seething with rage at Stevie and sabotaged her earnest attempts to participate in the album doesn't go far with me. He was trying to make an amazing album, and if he thought her emotive vocals didn't fit everywhere, so be it.

On several occasions, he ditched a great vocal of hers in favor of an inferior one, as on the Angel early vocal (one of the sexiest things she ever laid down) on Tusk Deluxe. It's just a difference of opinion—his and mine! He also used an inferior vocal of That's Alright for Mirage. Her earlier takes are stronger, sweeter, more country. But he and the rest of the band obviously thought what they chose was superior. What are ya gonna do?

Dashut or Caillat did a Q&A for the Penguin, but I can't reach it. They may have addressed this issue.
A cokie Stevie bellowing at random?
LMAO
That is the quote of the month IMHO
Old 11-26-2018, 04:10 PM
Senior Ledgie

I've learned a lot from this thread and from you guys. Thanks!

Not that this adds anything except my opinion... based on everything I've read on the album over the last 30 years and what I know about LB's production, I am with those who say that Stevie is not on anything except for her own tracks and Little Lies (which I agree she improves).

In my mind, I've always thought of Tango as a Lindsey solo album with a bunch of Christine songs mixed in (the first BuckVie album, as pointed out here) with the rhythm from Mick and John. I agree that Lindsey probably did the drums on Caroline (maybe more).

SO MUCH about Tango seems to come from Lindsey.... even the cover being from his personal art collection and clearly the title track is his own. Stevie is fortunate she was able to contribute at all, given her personal situation. I mean her best track isn't even penned by her. Glad she got help.

PS - Tango is the album that got me into FM at the formative age of 7 in 1987, and I hold it near and dear to my heart. One of my very first cassettes, which I purchased with my allowance money. I adore Seven Wonders but I skip her other tracks pretty much each listen.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
A cokie Stevie bellowing at random?
LMAO
That is the quote of the month IMHO
Everyone always used to ask where I got my old sig, "Stevie was starting to lumber around like a sod packed wheelbarrow".

That was a Davidism as well.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRaccoon View Post
I don’t think Stevie’s on any of Lindsey’s Mirage songs either. Just her three songs and “Love in Store”.
I don't know how anyone can hear her on the Mirage tour version of "Eyes In The World" and not miss her on the original. For all we know, however, she declined to sing on the original.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't know how anyone can hear her on the Mirage tour version of "Eyes In The World" and not miss her on the original. For all we know, however, she declined to sing on the original.
I don't think there's any way $tevie could have done the intro and break part that Christine sang. Her voice wouldn't have served that part at all.

BTW, your Tuskmas present is on it's way to you.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
I don't think there's any way $tevie could have done the intro and break part that Christine sang. Her voice wouldn't have served that part at all.
I agree. But on the live version the three of them together do the wordless part that appears after the verses and functions more or less as the song's chorus.

It really works, and Stevie's voice is perfect for it. See 1:07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE2E6R7BRA

Last edited by cbBen; 12-11-2018 at 07:15 PM..
Old 12-11-2018, 07:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I agree. But on the live version the three of them together do the wordless part that appears after the verses and functions more or less as the song's chorus.

It really works, and Stevie's voice is perfect for it. See 1:07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBE2E6R7BRA
I enjoy her on that part of the song!
Old 03-24-2019, 10:52 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Maybe I'm repeating things you said before, but there's something that tells me that Everywhere is one of the "old" songs for the album, like Big Love. I don't remember if I read it or not, but I don't see Stevie on that song. And I don't hear her voice as well.
Only if we remeber all the songs of the original album, Stevie appears in Seven Wonders, Little Lies, WTTR...S and When I See You Again. I really can't hear her backing vocals on Mystified or Tango In The Night or Family Man like we hear on Love In Store or Over & Over, for example...
Old 03-24-2019, 04:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

The assumption that LB was seething with rage at Stevie and sabotaged her earnest attempts to participate in the album doesn't go far with me.
And Stevie herself negated this myth not too many years ago. Saying she wasn’t around much for Tango.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Cokie Stevie bellowing at random?
Well, cokey is better than pokey
Old 03-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petep9000 View Post
Well, cokey is better than pokey
I sure wish she'd get back on the blow. Maybe she could write a decent song, and stop singing in her 3 note range. And stop being such a *****!
Old 03-25-2019, 12:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The "official wiki" credits don't offer much insight other than Lindsey played and programmed a lot of that album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tango_...ight#Personnel

Lindsey Buckingham – guitars, keyboards, Fairlight CMI, bass, lap harp, percussion, synthesizer and drum programming, vocals
Stevie Nicks – vocals
Christine McVie – keyboards, synthesizers, vocals
John McVie – bass guitar
Mick Fleetwood – drums, percussion
Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I’m still mad that Stevie didn’t use “Whole Lotta Trouble” for BTM. She was in what could be one of the best blues bands around, and she did that solo.

THE Stephen Hopkins