The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default My first exposure to <Fill in Album Name> Was....

My first exposure to "Rock a Little" was in 1985 on FM radio. IIRC it was late summer, maybe early fall - either way, very warm outside. I was an avid music fan at that time - the classic big headphones, listening to FM, blasting music louder than I should have, listening to my favorite rock station from Indianapolis. From RAL, "I Can't Wait" and "No Spoken Word" blasted over FM.

When the album was finally released in November, I picked up both the LP and cassette. A few months later, I bought my first home cd deck and switched to cd. RAL was my first cd!

Several years later, my first exposure to TOSOTM was picking up the cassingle of "Rooms on Fire" from my small town's only record store and blasting that in my car.

What was your first exposure to ?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

My first exposure to Bella Donna (besides EOS) was hearing the song Bella Donna for the first time when I was 15. Even though I loved FM and Stevie (bought TISL as my first CD at age 10) I had never ventured much farther than the usual fare of Sara, Dreams, Rhiannon etc. When I first heard it, I cried for what seemed like a thousand days. You know when you hear a line of a song and it just convicts you? Well the very first line "You can ride high atop your pony, I know you won't fall, cause the whole thing's phony..." absolutely did.. I realized so many things just from the line that most people find to be the most embarrassing part of the album... But I will always love it.

"Don't you know that the stars are a part of us?"
Old 03-02-2015, 12:17 AM
Senior Ledgie

The dance. I was 13 when it came out. We were moving from Alaska to North Carolina and drove a camper the whole way. My mom was being silly and packed up all me parents CDs and shipped them ahead. We drove 3000+ miles with only 8 CDs: the Dance and the 1988 greatest hits, tom petty' hits, bob segers's hits, Hearts's hits, meat loaf bat out of hell, Alice cooper from the inside looking out and Ozzy's blizzard. To this day these are some of my favorite artists. Stevie is the first and only woman I ever had a crush on. Haha!
We stoped somewhere in the midwest and saw in the newspaper an ad for Stevie's enchanted tour. We got the three cd box set in the same town and saw her in Raleigh, nc a few months later. I've been bewitched since 1997/1998

Last edited by gssmith; 03-02-2015 at 12:24 AM..
Old 03-02-2015, 03:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssmith View Post
The dance. I was 13 when it came out. We were moving from Alaska to North Carolina and drove a camper the whole way. My mom was being silly and packed up all me parents CDs and shipped them ahead. We drove 3000+ miles with only 8 CDs: the Dance and the 1988 greatest hits, tom petty' hits, bob segers's hits, Hearts's hits, meat loaf bat out of hell, Alice cooper from the inside looking out and Ozzy's blizzard. To this day these are some of my favorite artists. Stevie is the first and only woman I ever had a crush on. Haha!
We stoped somewhere in the midwest and saw in the newspaper an ad for Stevie's enchanted tour. We got the three cd box set in the same town and saw her in Raleigh, nc a few months later. I've been bewitched since 1997/1998
The dance was what got me hooked too. I was the same age and I remember seeing it on TV and literally told my parents all I wanted for my birthday was every Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks cd in existence.I even went out and asked my mom for a new record needle for our record player so I could listen to the old vinyl.

I remember listening to Mystery to Me for the first time and being confused because Lindsey and Stevie weren't on the cd.

My first Fleetwood concert was Stevie's Enchanted Tour as well.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Ledgie

My first exposure to Stevie Nicks was around August 2014, I had been into FM for about a month and decided to give Bella Donna a spin - and I was completley turned off! The title track seemed to slow and plodding and I gave up on her solo output for a while.

But a while later I tried again with The Wild Heart and the title track of that hooked me. There was no going back, she had grabbed me well and good!

And now, Bella Donna (album and track) are both amoungst my favourites. Its weird how your opinions can change so rapidly over such a short space of time.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie's solo work.

For Belladonna IIRC I think it was hearing Leather & Lace on my radio at work which was tuned to the AM country music station 1050 WHN in New York which I always have on.SDMHA which I heard on Casey Kasem's American Top 40 on Sunday night on WDRC FM Hartford CT also in my sisters or moms car radio tuned to a top 40 station .

I almost died when I first heard Stevie's voice with L&L on the radio at work.I remember I frozed in front of my boss and dropped some things in front of him.He said what happen.I think I said .I dont know and I apologized on dropping the stuff.Thank goodness nothing got broken and he was fine.

After hearing them on the radio .I had to get the album.

Late March and in April 1982 is when Stevie's HBO Special came on.I have the HBO guide from that time somewhere here.

I think I viewed all of the airings of it.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 03-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snroxman View Post
My first exposure to "Rock a Little" was in 1985 on FM radio. IIRC it was late summer, maybe early fall - either way, very warm outside. I was an avid music fan at that time - the classic big headphones, listening to FM, blasting music louder than I should have, listening to my favorite rock station from Indianapolis. From RAL, "I Can't Wait" and "No Spoken Word" blasted over FM.
I never heard No Spoken Word (which I love) on the radio. Do you think that it could have been a hit single had it been officially released?
Old 03-02-2015, 07:43 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod~A~Little View Post
I never heard No Spoken Word (which I love) on the radio. Do you think that it could have been a hit single had it been officially released?
It sure would have been great! It actually fit the format of that station at the time.