The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Trouble in Shangri-La better than IYD and 24KG?

I've been listening to a lot of Stevie's catalogue on Spotify recently and I've noticed that I'm just blown away when a track from TISL comes on. The song writing, vocals, incredible backup vocals from Sheryl and the other girls and most of all, THE PRODUCTION. There are so many layers and effects which make the album memorable and just fantastic in my opinion.

I feel as though IYD and 24KG are missing something with Dave's production even though the songs themselves are fantastic. I feel as though if these songs were done in the TISL era then they would be better, and not because of Stevie's voice as I think it's still captivating and fabulous.

For me, TISL stands head and shoulders above IYD and 24KG but what do you guys think? I'm sure you'll have an opinion on this!
Old 02-18-2015, 11:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

TISL had too many producers and about 5 good tracks but only one stands the test of time-the title track. John Shanks produced the best tracks and should have done the whole album. That made me stronger is a huge stinker. Blah album, wasted opportunity. I feel this thread is a joke.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

With a few exceptions (Bombay Sapphires comes to mind), I find the production on TISL to be a bit ham fisted compared to IYD. It's just so derivative of it's era; very pop, one dimensional, blunt, and lacking in nuance. Stevie's vocals on TISL are flat, nasally, and unadventurous, too. I don't think TISL is a bad album, but when I contrast it with IYD, I just don't find any aspects of superiority.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
With a few exceptions (Bombay Sapphires comes to mind), I find the production on TISL to be a bit ham fisted compared to IYD. It's just so derivative of it's era; very pop, one dimensional, blunt, and lacking in nuance. Stevie's vocals on TISL are flat, nasally, and unadventurous, too. I don't think TISL is a bad album, but when I contrast it with IYD, I just don't find any aspects of superiority.
Her half-hearted vocals ruined Too Far From Texas, which was a good song.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Agree. TISL isn't a bad album at all but Stevie gets lost in all its trappings. It does contain one of her absolute best solo moments - Fall From Grace. IYD topped TISL and 24K Gold topped IYD so she keeps getting better!!

I remember it all...you just had to fall...
Old 02-18-2015, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The only songs on TISL that stand the test of time these days (for me, personally) are
Trouble In Shangri-La
Candlebright
Sorcerer
Planets
Bombay
Love Is

...and that's only half of the album. I used to be so enamored with this record, but it really is starting to sound like a product of its time, like so many of you have said. Originally, I thought that this record was still better than IYD but such is not the case anymore. However, I do think that in 15 years, IYD will also sound "dated" as well.

24KG, with it's sparse production, will NOT sound dated in the future, because each song already evokes an era of the past...which is what I love about that album the most. ATBW IS WILD HEART!!! Belle Fleur IS BELLA DONNA! Hard Advice IS TISL! Watch Chain IS RUMOURS! And 24KG is basically EVERYTHING I love about late 70's California Rock!

For me, 24KG trumps the last two albums, IMO.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheart View Post
IYD topped TISL and 24K Gold topped IYD so she keeps getting better!!
This is exactly how I feel! That is why I cannot wait for her next album. 24K is one of the best albums she has ever done.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I love all 3.. I love Sheryl Crow been a part of it.Sorry guys that are not into Sheryl's tunes.

Stevie fan forever and ever amen.......
the Wildheart at Edge of Seventeen and the Gypsy.....

My sweet Buttons .I love you. RIP 2009 to 08/24/2016
Old 02-18-2015, 07:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Also, in regards to TISL, I have to add that I really love the "wall of sound" version of "Thrown Down" much better than the lethargic "you wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan" version on SYW...and I also prefer TISL's "My Heart" rather than the IYD bonus track.

The funny thing is that, if those 2 songs had made the cut and maybe "Too Far From Texas" and "Love Changes" been left off, TISL would actually rank somewhat higher for me.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post
Also, in regards to TISL, I have to add that I really love the "wall of sound" version of "Thrown Down" much better than the lethargic "you wouldn't say that to Bob Dylan" version on SYW...and I also prefer TISL's "My Heart" rather than the IYD bonus track.

The funny thing is that, if those 2 songs had made the cut and maybe "Too Far From Texas" and "Love Changes" been left off, TISL would actually rank somewhat higher for me.
Entirely agreed re Thrown Down. I know a lot of people love TISL's My Heart, but I find it nearly unlistenable (especially the first few lines). The IYD version, though, is perfection.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer999 View Post

24KG, with it's sparse production, will NOT sound dated in the future, because each song already evokes an era of the past...which is what I love about that album the most. ATBW IS WILD HEART!!! Belle Fleur IS BELLA DONNA! Hard Advice IS TISL! Watch Chain IS RUMOURS! And 24KG is basically EVERYTHING I love about late 70's California Rock!

For me, 24KG trumps the last two albums, IMO.
THIS! Well said.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

TISL is certainly a Stevie rising like a Phoenix from the ashes that was Street Angel, but better than IYD or 24 Karat Gold? I think not.

TISL has some amazing stand-out songs (the title track, candlebright, planets, FFG) but it starts off so strongly and then meanders in the middle, the final three tracks are killer though.

IYD works so well as an album, her voice is in fine form, while I find it a little too nasal on TISL. It's so varied, every track is sweeping and lush. So many classics, for me anyway.

I'm not too familiar with 24KG as an album, but it has some of the most stunning tracks of Stevie's career - the title track alone gives me so much pleasure. ATBW is stunning, as are Lady (in all its raspy, ruined, bittersweet glory) Blue Water and Mabel Normand.

TISL contains several strong highlights but the stinkers? They REALLY stink. The only track on IYD that falls flat (for me) is Cheaper Than Free (and My Heart, to a lesser extent - I prefered the TISL demo) but even CTF has a certain amount of charm. While with 24KG I only dislike Carousel (and Cathouse Blues to a certain extent - she can't beat the innocent joy of the original demo). But TISL? That Made Me Stronger, Too Far From Texas, I Miss You... Yuck. While I love every day and love changes... I can get why people don't.

Long story short, TISL is better than Street Angel... And OSOTOM (and probably RAL too) but I still think IYD is the better album and I don't think it will eclipse 24KG.

Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 PM
Junior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89 View Post
For me, TISL stands head and shoulders above IYD and 24KG but what do you guys think? I'm sure you'll have an opinion on this!
Although it appears the majority of Stevie fans would disagree with you, I wanted to take the opportunity to say that I do agree with you.

I think TISL could have done without Everyday and That Made Me Stronger, and included Thrown Down and Space Needle, and it would have been a really great album, but I still consider it better than IYD and 24KG. I've often wondered if it's Dave's productions, but at least Stevie is enjoying herself and her recording these days.

So many dislike Love Changes, it's one of my favorites. @michelej1 solidified that for me in her interpretation of the song (immediately after the release of the Secret Love single):

Quote:
Originally Posted by michele1
I was thinking about Secret Love last night and its mood makes me think of Love Changes, although I think Secret Love is a better song. The way something momentous just fades away is heartbreaking in itself, the quietness of it.

That's what got me about "Love Changes". The sudden emptiness, that washes over you without war or roar. There's no big collision, just a break down on the side of the road.

When there's a traumatic event, a big fight, passionate outbursts, they are cleansing in a way. Cathartic. But when great love has a softer, lingering death and the ending comes amid other trivial matters, the every day, anti-climatic conclusion of it is sad. Secret Love is sing-songy and juvenile on one hand, but I think the music and Stevie's voice do capture the pain of what "secretly died" very nicely.
I've always appreciated that post and that description, and I also really like the album version of Secret Love. I'm not saying IYD is completely lost on me, but I definitely appreciate TISL more so.

Last edited by siledrmr; 02-18-2015 at 09:35 PM..
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I think TISL is better than IYD but definitely not 24K. TISL isn't amazing but I like it a lot more than IYD which I just have never really been able to fully get into.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I like all her albums for their unique and distinct atmosphere. Each is a planet in Stevie's universe.

Bella Donna - Sun
Wild Heart - Neptune
Rock a Little - Mars
The Other Side of the Mirror -Venus
Street Angel - Uranus
Trouble in Shangria - Saturn
In Your Dreams - Jupiter
24 Karat Gold - Earth

Last edited by PenguinHead; 02-18-2015 at 11:05 PM..