User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I know. I listen to a news station and when they break in with an FM song, it is scary. They did that for Bob Welch.

Sometimes though, they will play a song because it matches the theme of their news story and it has nothing to do with FM. So, they might play Don't Stop when talking about Hilary Clinton or something innocuous and I hear it and think, "Oh no, what happened."

Michele
Once a news station played part of Landslide.. and by the end of it, there was the sound of breaking news, and my heart dropped off the planet. It was for some insignificant American election, but I thought it was NOT good.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Not new news of course, but the Zoe Howe bio is generating press for Stevie, and this is making the rounds on several news outlets.

'Stevie Nicks burned hole in nose?'

http://www.ellecanada.com/gossip/ste...n-nose/a/98602
Old 02-08-2015, 07:23 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I read this book over Christmas. It was a pretty good read and gave me a lot of information about Stevie I was previously unaware of. Of course, true Stevie aficionados will be aware of most, if not everything in here. Most of the FM-related stuff is directly culled from Mick's first book, CAH's book and Ken's book. In many cases its really irritating as much of it is written virtually word for word.

To be clear- the Daily Mail have misquoted what Zoe Howe wrote in her book.

Regarding the coke-bum thing. ZH merely stated:
'Stevie has dismissed speculation she had to have the drug blown up her derriere by an assistant as an absurd statement. Its simply not true she told Q magazine in 2001'.

Regarding the breast implants ZH wrote:
'Nicks was diagnosed with Epstein Barr shortly after having her breast implants removed; many hadn't realised she'd had cosmetic surgery in December 1976'.
This is placed in her book during the Shake the Cage tour in 1987.

The book also gives proportional prominence to all her major relationships.
Overall, I'd recommend it.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this just wont go away - ugh!!

http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywo...caine-annally/
Old 02-20-2015, 01:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Washington Post By Chris Klimek February 20 at 11:59 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entert...e2b_story.html

What more is there to know about Stevie Nicks?

Stevie Nicks wrote the only No. 1 Billboard hit Fleetwood Mac ever had (“Dreams”), but Zoë Howe’s fawning new biography offers ample evidence that talent and stage charisma aren’t the only reasons the 66-year old rocker has for so long overshadowed her bandmates: Nicks has rarely stopped supplying salacious material to writers more interested in celebrity than in songcraft.

Over more than four decades, her career has embodied every rock star cliche that ever teased a commercial break in an episode of VH-1’s “Behind the Music”: A love-hate relationship with Lindsey Buckingham, whom she supported by waiting tables before they both joined Fleetwood Mac. Cocaine. Dalliances with bandmate Mick Fleetwood, the Eagles Don Henley and Joe Walsh , plus J.D. Souther, who co-wrote several of the Eagles’ biggest hits. Cocaine. A fatigue syndrome that was diagnosed shortly after the removal of her breast implants . Cocaine, again. Then there were the allegations of her involvement in witchcraft, stoked by Nicks’s fondness for black chiffon and candles, and her intense live performances of “Rhiannon,” which she used to say was “about an old Welsh witch.”

Writing about this drama is easy. Writing insightfully about the process of creating music is much harder, especially when the subject is somebody like Nicks, an untrained but ingenious singer-songwriter who often sounds as mystified by her extraordinary songs as anybody else is.

Howe documents it all — the sex, the drugs and the mystification — with the nonjudgmental vigilance of a devoted fan who has little interest in assessing Nicks’ place in the pop-rock pantheon. Her book is at its most fun — which is to say, somewhat — when she plays hooky from the dutiful reportage and indulges in fansite-style observations and jokes.

Chapter 12, for example, opens: “There were several men in Stevie Nicks’ life around this time. In true Stevie style, let’s take a look at the astrological compatibility between them.” Howe goes on to handicap Nicks’s odds with Fleetwood, Henley, Souther and Buckingham. Eighty-four pages later, a reference to “the devil’s dandruff” occasions this footnote: “I’ve mentioned cocaine so many times in this book so far I’m running out of alternative names for it.”

Near the end, Howe pauses to insert “Pick ’n’ Nicks — A Stevie Smorgasbord” of self-help non sequiturs that she has drawn from the musician’s life: “Learn from Stevie: Don’t do Botox. Stevie tried it once. Never again. Also — drop the Internet addiction.” Nicks, she adds, “believes social media to be evil.”

These interludes feel like impression-driven “Saturday Night Live” sketches dropped in to liven up an often dry and unsurprising narrative. (Kate McKinnon would kill “A Stevie Smorgasbord.”) Sometimes, parody is the sincerest form of flattery.
Old 02-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

^ ^ ^

This book has been in my Amazon shopping cart for months now, and reviews like this are what's kept me from pulling the trigger.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Though my sister likes Fleetwood Mac, she isn't ardent follower or a big music collector. She saw them for the first time on their 2013 tour. She was surprised to discover that Stevie was short! What's more surprising is that she bought Stevie's recent biography.

She told me she was very touched about the story surrounding the inspiration for the song Has Anyone Ever Written Anything For You. Funny thing is, she has never had any interest in Stevie before. I may have to a make a compilation disc and indoctrinate her with Stevie's solo music. I think I'm going to first send her a disc of songs from Stevie's last three solo albums--material she has never heart before.

She is sending the book to me. So I'm looking forward to it. Even though most of it will be familiar to me, it will still be entertaining.

Last edited by PenguinHead; 03-03-2015 at 06:40 AM..
Old 03-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I read this book a few weeks ago and I actually really enjoyed it. Admittedly, there wasn't a huge amount of new information in there, but the writing felt warm and sincere. You could tell that the author was really invested, even when presenting some of the darker, more nihilistic aspects of Stevie's life and career.

I actually found the whole thing strangely empowering. There was something about the structure of the narrative that made me want to be more creative, more independent - the same feeling I get when I watch a really great Stevie interview.

If you're a diehard fan looking for new information, you ain't gonna find it here. If you're a new fan, or just want an enjoyably empowering read, I would totally recommend it.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

March 3, 2015 National Enquirer

http://www.nationalenquirer.com/cele...cocaine-binges

STEVIE NICKS WILD WILD COCAINE BINGES

Stevie Nicks bought enough cocaine – $1 million worth – to melt a hole in her nose so big she once boasted she could loop a “gold ring … with diamonds” through it!

That’s just one of the amazing revelations about the rock goddess’ out-of-control drug addiction in the bombshell new tell-all, “Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams & Rumours.”

“It’s so painful. I curse the day I ever did cocaine,” the Fleetwood Mac beauty confessed in the tome, obtained by The National ENQUIRER. “Nothing really works in my head right now.”

The “Rhiannon” singer, now 66, describes nosebleeds, blackouts, a cratering career and a doctor warning of brain hemorrhage, or “even an early grave.”

Referring to the height of her romance with cocaine during the 1980s, Stevie told author Zoë Howe: “[He (the doctor) said], ‘It could be the next time you do cocaine. It won’t be pretty.’ It absolutely scared me to death.”

Despite that, the legendary songbird couldn’t stop using, describing the drug-induced euphoria she experienced as “being swept up on a white horse by a prince. There was no way to get off the white horse and I didn’t want to.”

Stevie said her drug use started when a “toot now and then relieved the boredom of long hours in the studio,” as drummer Mick Fleetwood put it.

“Every night [tour manager John] Courage would pour the usual amount of cocaine onto the back of every wrist before the show, the bottle-caps of coke lined up in the wings,” she claimed. During a tour of Europe, the band leased a posh private train to avoid drug searches by customs officials when they traveled across borders.

Stevie’s drug use led to an intervention by family members and Mick, her bandmate and former lover, after a 1986 show. The “Dreams” singer reluctantly checked into the Betty Ford Clinic in Palm Springs, Calif., under the alias “Sara Anderson.” According to the book, she’s convinced she would have died if she hadn’t stopped her drug use at that time.

Stevie said: “I believe there have been angels with me constantly, or I wouldn’t be alive.”
Old 03-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:

Stevie Nicks bought enough cocaine – $1 million worth – to melt a hole in her nose so big she once boasted she could loop a “gold ring … with diamonds” through it!

That’s just one of the amazing revelations about the rock goddess’ out-of-control drug addiction in the bombshell new tell-all, “Stevie Nicks: Visions, Dreams & Rumours.”

“It’s so painful. I curse the day I ever did cocaine,” the Fleetwood Mac beauty confessed in the tome, obtained by The National ENQUIRER. “Nothing really works in my head right now.”

The “Rhiannon” singer, now 66, describes nosebleeds, blackouts, a cratering career and a doctor warning of brain hemorrhage, or “even an early grave.”

Referring to the height of her romance with cocaine during the 1980s, Stevie told author Zoë Howe: “[He (the doctor) said], ‘It could be the next time you do cocaine. It won’t be pretty.’ It absolutely scared me to death.”

Despite that, the legendary songbird couldn’t stop using, describing the drug-induced euphoria she experienced as “being swept up on a white horse by a prince. There was no way to get off the white horse and I didn’t want to.”

Stevie said her drug use started when a “toot now and then relieved the boredom of long hours in the studio,” as drummer Mick Fleetwood put it.

“Every night [tour manager John] Courage would pour the usual amount of cocaine onto the back of every wrist before the show, the bottle-caps of coke lined up in the wings,” she claimed. During a tour of Europe, the band leased a posh private train to avoid drug searches by customs officials when they traveled across borders.

Stevie’s drug use led to an intervention by family members and Mick, her bandmate and former lover, after a 1986 show. The “Dreams” singer reluctantly checked into the Betty Ford Clinic in Palm Springs, Calif., under the alias “Sara Anderson.” According to the book, she’s convinced she would have died if she hadn’t stopped her drug use at that time.

Stevie said: “I believe there have been angels with me constantly, or I wouldn’t be alive.”
The final piece of the puzzle!
Old 03-04-2015, 04:34 AM

Quote:

This bit is new for me!