User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:38 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
I wasn't there, but I'd agree. I have a recording of the April 9, 1993 show along with the San Jose one and nowhere on my tape do I hear him yelling "are you laughing at me,". That sounds more like George Costanza than Lindsey.

Michele
Is his use of profanity picked up on tape? That part did happen. I doubt it made recorded history. I'd love to hear that show again. I wasn't bad at all.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Lindsey's always struck me as a bit touchy. I know he plays that off well, but he has serious insecurities, or else he wouldn't have to remind us of how unaffected he is by how people perceive him, ala how he describes the point of the song Not Too Late. Margaret Thatcher once said, "Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you're not." To a certain degree I think of LB and all his highfalutin speech about being an "artist" and his lack of concern with the commercial aspects or things and blah, blah...BS.

I believe he has integrity and he is serious about his art, but I also think he adores the Fleetwood mac aspect of his career and enjoys playing to a huge crowd who goes mad for all the brilliance he has to share. He has the right to that ego, as I believe he is THAT good, but still...he likes to paint it another way sometimes.

Oh, and I personally think it's rude and unprofessional to cuss out people, but I'd probably lose it myself if I felt my work was being disrespected. I don't condone his little temper tantrums, but there's only so much one can be subjected to before they snap...and Lindsey is pretty high-strung to begin with.

My friend who attended his show at the House of Blues in Chicago with me thought he was rude when, as he was discussing the origin of Castaway Dreams and the drunks in the back were heckling at one another, he stopped in the middle of his speech and said, "WHATEVER." Really cocky-like and he was so leering at the people in the back (I had great seats and was watching him closely)...anyway, I explained to her that he took his work seriously and it was rude of them to talk during his important speech...well, ha...do you know what she said?

"LB is a curmudgeonly little diva and he really likes to hear himself talk because he just rambles and NO ONE freaking cares about what inspired him to write that slow-ass song anyway."

Lovely. I know his ways too well to be bothered by any of it at this point, but that can't be said for others I guess.

"Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." ~ JL

Last edited by Nico; 09-26-2009 at 02:17 PM..
Old 09-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgikallaroundme View Post
Is his use of profanity picked up on tape? That part did happen. I doubt it made recorded history. I'd love to hear that show again. I wasn't bad at all.
You do hear him saying shut up, but I didn't know that the complete sentence was STFU.

Here's a review from Seattle where they mention that an audience member said "where's Stevie".

Seattle Times (WA), March 15, 1993

Section: ARTS, ENTERTAINMENT

BUCKINGHAM AND BAND SHOW THAT MAC-LESS ISN'T FECKLESS
TOM PHALEN

Lindsey Buckingham at the Moore Theatre, Saturday night.

One pale voice tweaked through the enthusiastic applause for Lindsey Buckingham as he walked on the Moore stage Saturday night.

"Where's Stevie?" came the muttered query, presumably referring to Buckingham's ex-partner Stevie Nicks and his former band Fleetwood Mac. It's doubtful Buckingham heard the call.

The singer/songwriter/guitarist was there for himself, his work and his new band. After three self-made solo albums (the latest is "Out of the Cradle"), Buckingham has gone live with a fine new conclave. With five guitars, three percussionists, solid bass and ample sample-and-note work from the keyboards (nice elephant on "Tusk"), Buckingham and his talented crew of nine not only recreated the silken, multi-textured weave of his recorded material, but imbued the cloth with new color and richer hue. Even an old wrap like "You Can Go Your Own Way" had grand new style. It was sound, energy and joy you could wear in and out of your skin.

His set was decidedly personal. He began solo with "Love," then segued with a little self-written spoken verse into "Go Insane" - big love gone around the bend. After bringing on the band, he solidified an insightful musical progression and connection of doubt, family, pain, passion, indecision, fear and commitment with "Don't Look Down," "The Chain," "Trouble," "Tusk," "You Do Or You Don't" and "So Afraid." It was as powerful a musical life-journey as one could want to experience.

Once again performing solo, he played the lovely instrumental "This Nearly Was Mine" then beautifully delivered the angst and heartfelt "Street of Dreams."

But the final section and encores with the band were a whip-snapping rave-up. Buckingham playfully butted leads with each of his guitar players. Steve Ross and Janet Robin were among the standout lick-sters, although everyone in the band deserved equal praise. The capacity 20-to-40-something crowd came to its feet more than once.

As a solo artist, Buckingham hasn't received all the recognition due him, possibly because until now he hadn't found a straight-seamed, well-woven way to present his music live. It wasn't a Nicks he was missing, it was a proper niche - the right groove, the right group. If this Seattle performance was any indication, he's there.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
Lindsey's always struck me as a bit touchy. I know he plays that off well, but he has serious insecurities, or else he wouldn't have to remind us of how unaffected he is by how people perceive him, ala how he describes the point of the song Not Too Late. Margaret Thatcher once said, "Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you're not." To a certain degree I think of LB and all his highfalutin speech about being an "artist" and his lack of concern with the commercial aspects or things and blah, blah...BS.

I believe he has integrity and he is serious about his art, but I also think he adores the Fleetwood mac aspect of his career and enjoys playing to a huge crowd who goes mad for all the brilliance he has to share. He has the right to that ego, as I believe he is THAT good, but still...he likes to paint it another way sometimes.

Oh, and I personally think it's rude and unprofessional to cuss out people, but I'd probably lose it myself if I felt my work was being disrespected. I don't condone his little temper tantrums, but there's only so much one can be subjected to before they snap...and Lindsey is pretty high-strung to begin with.

My friend who attended his show at the House of Blues in Chicago with me thought he was rude when, as he was discussing the origin of Castaway Dreams and the drunks in the back were heckling at one another, he stopped in the middle of his speech and said, "WHATEVER." Really cocky-like and he was so leering at the people in the back (I had great seats and was watching him closely)...anyway, I explained to her that took his work seriously and it was rude of them to talk during his important speech...well, ha...do you know what she said?

"LB is a curmudgeonly little diva and he really likes to hear himself talk because he just rambles and NO ONE freaking cares about what inspired him to write that slow-ass song anyway."

Lovely. I know his ways too well to be bothered by any of it at this point, but that can't be said for others I guess.
The guy is very touchy. For sure. He's never been skilled at controlling his emotions, on stage or off. A certain type of insecurity, though not the obvious, and his huge ego plays a role too. The bottom line, he's unable to take a proper stage persona to block out other distractions on his mind when he performs. He's not a natural as an entertainer. Fans only know him as this guy who eats, sleeps and thinks music 24/7. This is a person who has always had a lot on his mind and a lot on his plate besides writing and performing. Sometimes he's successful at channeling that pressure into a great performance. Other times the lid comes off and things spill out that aren't pretty. Blame it on the underground.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:21 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Ok well I can tell you I was very excited to be seeing Lindsey solo at The Roxy in Phoenix. It was a 21 and older crowd only. They checked I.D.'s and if you were under age you could not get in. Tickets were sold at the door, not in advance. I remember feeling bad for the poor suckers who were turned away at the door for being too young.

The Roxy was a two story bar with a small room for bands to perform in with a small stage not much higher than our waists. The second floor had a balcony that went in a U shape around the room. You had a choice of where you wanted to be, up there, down here or walking around anywhere in the place. I think tickets were $20.00 but I'm not 100% sure.

I noticed Chris Nicks was selling t-shirts and I approached him and told/asked him that I wanted a Bella Donna Tour jacket and he said he wished he had one too. I was not interested in any of Lindsey's concert merchandise.

I stood right in front of Lindsey the entire show. I was not surrendering that spot to anyone. Another person who I became friends with in 1994 claimed she stood right in front of him for this show too. (There were several people who would probably claim this and I am one of them.)

I remember thinking how tiny and skinny he was and it shocked me. He even looked too skinny and very pale. He looked so fragile like you could have thrown a feather at him and he would just crumble.

Myself and EVERYONE in the audience was hoping Stevie was gonna show up. This was talked about by EVERYONE in the parking lot and in line waiting to get into the club.

What made me angry about his behavior was that this was a bar, not so much a concert venue. People were playing pool and mingling and many were there just to be in a bar, not for the entertainment per say. But we all had to pay the price of the ticket to get in there, so I can't believe he was so rude to a paying audience.

It was near the end when he looked up at the people in the balcony and started swearing at them. He gave them the finger and not just quickly. He gave the kind of finger where you hold it and really shove it up there, if you get what I mean?

I honestly never heard anyone yelling rude things to him. Yeah their conversations were loud up there, but so what? People are allowed to talk to each other in a bar or at a concert. He's still getting paid. What's the big deal?

Now onto the music. I am probably the only member of The Ledge that hates the OOTC album and every single song on it. But I still enjoyed his performance right up until he "lost it." Then I was just dissapointed and angry.
I did feel that there were too many guitar players onstage so I could never really tell when it was Lindsey playing or one of the others.

Well I guess that's all there is to say for my experience.

The friend I mentioned earlier in my story said she got to meet Lindsey before the show to get an autograph and said he was rude to everyone there, including her.

But to end on a positive note, I did meet Lindsey in 2006 and he was extremely gracious.
Old 09-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Until I read a more recent concert review and Lindsey was asked about that Phoenix show by the writer, I never thought anything big had happened there. So, after that, I wanted to read more about it, but I haven't seen full length reviews of the show (though there are two Arizona Republic interviews with him before the show). Here

and here.

But from casual mentions of it, people just say they were there and it was great. I think someone says this in the Janet Robin Q & A. They don't even mention the flare up.

Michele
Old 09-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I noticed Chris Nicks was selling t-shirts and I approached him and told/asked him that I wanted a Bella Donna Tour jacket and he said he wished he had one too.
Interesting that Chris Nicks was doing LB's merchandising too. Nice touch.

From the way you described things, if the people in that audience asked nicely to lick Lindsey's boot, I would not let them. Of course, that's probably why I don't sell records and have never been praised for my public relations skills.

Michele
Old 09-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Until I read a more recent concert review and Lindsey was asked about that Phoenix show by the writer, I never thought anything big had happened there. So, after that, I wanted to read more about it, but I haven't seen full length reviews of the show (though there are two Arizona Republic interviews with him before the show). Here

and here.

But from casual mentions of it, people just say they were there and it was great. I think someone says this in the Janet Robin Q & A. They don't even mention the flare up.

Michele
There were a couple of flare ups where his temper was showing. We weren't in front of him and we saw plenty. We were on the side by the drunks who played pool and talked too loud, where he directed the STFU request. I totally forgot about him giving the finger! I actually thought that was both rude and funny under the circumstances. I took it as his way of managing the intentional heckling of a few who were there to purposely get under his skin. That was the aim of certain audience members. No doubt about it.

Vivfox gives a great reflection on the atomsphere in the room that night. Like Viv, lots of people who got into the venue that night were there intending to see Stevie. Most of the crowd were not pointedly there to see LB. Overall the regulars were there to get drunk and hang out. Many fans were pointedy there to see Stevie and weren't shy about making that point clear to LB. Everyone was talking about it outside and backstage where he was being a complete dick before and after the show. Good example of how the off-stage issues weren't properly contained or restrained before he took the stage in a somewhat hostile environment. LB was already worked up about other things beyond the show. That scene was just ripe for a melt down. I'm surprised it wasn't worse. I thought he actually did a good job managing to finish the show. It didn't keep him from coming back to AZ, just not to that dive.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Vivfox gives a great reflection on the atomsphere in the room that night. Like Viv, lots of people who got into the venue that night were there intending to see Stevie. Most of the crowd were not pointedly there to see LB. Overall the regulars were there to get drunk and hang out. Many fans were pointedy there to see Stevie and weren't shy about making that point clear to LB. Everyone was talking about it outside and backstage where he was being a complete dick before and after the show. Good example of how the off-stage issues weren't properly contained or restrained before he took the stage in a somewhat hostile environment. LB was already worked up about other things beyond the show. That scene was just ripe for a melt down. I'm surprised it wasn't worse. I thought he actually did a good job managing to finish the show. It didn't keep him from coming back to AZ, just not to that dive.
Maybe L & O or Go Insane tours would have gone better when he was still closer to FM's hey day. I'm not saying that by the time OOTC came out it was too late. Certainly, the album deserved promotion.

I don't know if the marketing people could have done any better, considering the fact that he wasn't a draw at all, but when you have him playing places like this one sounds and opening for Tina Turner, you aren't really accomplishing the goal of exposing his music through the concerts. The only thing good that came out of it was the few talk show appearances he did, the print publicity and that Center Stage. Michele
Old 09-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Maybe L & O or Go Insane tours would have gone better when he was still closer to FM's hey day. I'm not saying that by the time OOTC came out it was too late. Certainly, the album deserved promotion.

I don't know if the marketing people could have done any better, considering the fact that he wasn't a draw at all, but when you have him playing places like this one sounds and opening for Tina Turner, you aren't really accomplishing the goal of exposing his music through the concerts. The only thing good that came out of it was the few talk show appearances he did, the print publicity and that Center Stage. Michele
I agree about the timing of OOTC. The change in direction LB took with his stage careeer would have been better served during the period of the first two solo albums. In the 80s he was not interested in taking the stage as a solo performer to promote his own music. He had too many other things on his plate in those days. He also didn't need to be out in front of the public to get a big payday, either. In the early 90s it's apparent that marketing and selling his own music through touring was more in focus than it had ever been before. Other circumstanes at the time of OOTC shifted his direction toward getting out of the studio and singing for his supper. By then it was too late to cash in on the Fleetwood Mac sucess.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:42 PM
Registered

Another note about the Roxy- it was a dance club that catered towards the 21-30 demo, and often booked rap/hip-hop (a rarity in the early 90's). As others have said, I wouldn't be surprised if the overwhelming majority of people there that night purchased tickets under the guise as a cover charge to get in the club, rather than to actually see Lindsey.

Total mismatch of venues for Lindsey, of course, but there weren't many venues in the Phoenix area where Lindsey could have played back then. The promoter (Evening Star) pushed a lot of acts there- even veteran artists like Lindsey. It was the hot, small concert venue in Phoenix in the early 90's... which says a lot more about Phoenix than it does the Roxy.

The place was forced to shut down about two years after Lindsey's show- a couple shootings in very close proximity to the venue involving Roxy patrons (with at least one fatality- maybe even more, I can't remember) got their liquor license pulled.
Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Actually I saw this show twice. The Wiltern in Los Angeles was a lovely experience, but then I went to the Majestic in Ventura and I drove and arrived late. I was already upset because we had rushed to get there and didn't arrive in time. I was riding with someone else and I blamed them, so I was in a bad mood. The concert was already in progress. I missed the opening songs which I'd enjoyed so much. Plus, I couldn't really see the stage. They had taken out seats on the main floor so that people could stand. With me coming in late, I didn't have a prayer of getting a good position. And the sound system was really bad. So, that was a bad experience all the way around. I'm just glad I got to go to the Wiltern.

Michele
Old 09-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Like Viv, lots of people who got into the venue that night were there intending to see Stevie.
But why? I'm so confused. Was the show advertised as Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks? Or did everyone just think that wherever LB was Stevie wasn't too far behind? (I guess I won't ever get that...the whole "supergroup" thing where you go see an artist solo expecting the rest of the group or all the group's hit songs to be played...like going to see Thom Yorke solo expecting Fake Plastic Trees, getting The Clock, and being pissed you spent the money to see Thom Yorke live).

Lindsey sounds like a straight up beyotch though. I love him to death but what a little foot-stomping brat he was. I am so glad I met him when he did a miraculous 180 and turned into a sweet, considerate, darling guy.

I hate to bring all the personal stuff into it, but he didn't sound like his life was going too great during that time. He may have been having a lot of serious issues in his life and maybe that played some part in his nasty attitude problem (not to mention the chip on his shoulder). I'm positive I just read a recent interview where he mentioned that the period before he met Kristen was his darkest, which could explain things I guess.

Oh! I think I remember reading some encounters people had with LB over the years and some were totally awesome and others were really, really bad. The latter encounters described him as being kind of an ass...eh, yeah.

I still love him. I've had several encounters with him and each one has been sooooooooo amazing. He was always sweet, accommodating, and quite beautiful in person to me. Shame about some of the others though.

Last edited by Nico; 09-26-2009 at 07:39 PM..
Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
But why? I'm so confused. Was the show advertised as Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks? Or did everyone just think that wherever LB was Stevie wasn't too far behind?
I don't think most people thought that Stevie would actually be there. They just decided they'd let Lindsey know they'd rather be seeing her by yelling for her.

Michele
Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I don't think most people thought that Stevie would actually be there. They just decided they'd let Lindsey know they'd rather be seeing her by yelling for her.

Michele
I'm not gonna lie, I'd probably throw a bitchfest if that happened to me, especially if anyone came there dressed in chiffon, tambourine in hand. I'd throw my guitar. Lindsey was tame by comparison.