Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post

As the band convened to discuss plans for the forthcoming tour, musical differences started to emerge...

What? Silver Girl?
Get the f**k outta here.
Exactly. Because the demo was better.
Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, Neil will endure her pretensions for the money. Make no mistake, this is all about the $$$$$.

Neil Finn is a clever, prolific creator of music. But this is an eneavour that's unlikely to yield new music in any significant capacity. I just cant see Neil being in this for artistic reasons. What is artistically rewarding about standing on a stage night after night singing other peoples' songs when you written and recorded dozens of your own critically acclaimed albums?
As successful as he's been, if he gets a fair share of the cut, a major Fleetwood Mac tour will yield more than he's probably earned for the past 10 years combined.

So yeah, he'll bow to Stevie.
Yeah, he'll be getting more worldwide exposure than he's had since the 1980s. But creatively speaking, I don't see much in it for him. I mean, I assume he's a big FM fan, so jamming with them on stage every night would presumably be an enjoyable endeavor. Vince Gill joining the Eagles last year seems like a similar situation. Gill had a pretty huge career in a certain niche, but the Eagles gigs gave him more notoriety than he's had in ages. And he was also very successful before the Eagles came calling - we could ask him why he did it, too. Probably a combination of getting to work with people he's admired, performing music he greatly enjoys, getting his name out there on a level it hadn't been in a long time... and earning some serious coin in the process. What's the downside for either man? Squelching their inner muse?

So while I don't necessarily think it's *all* about the $$$ for Gill or Finn, I don't think "creative expression" is high on the list, either.

Last edited by BlanketMan; 04-11-2018 at 01:50 PM..
Old 04-11-2018, 02:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

this is like a nightmare alternauniverse
It's 1987 and Lindsey leaves. The new members make you hope for something great but alas....not at all IMO.

...and I'm not all Lindsey fanboy where I can't be objective and understand Mac was about change, it was envisioned that way by Peter Green.

but he had big shoes to fill and no one could. The Dance was proof, he brought them back from the dead.

When Chris came back and it was fab 5 again, the bands fans rejoiced, the shows sold out, 200 million was made.
This late in the game, with the fan vote so obvious over these last 20 years, this was about as insulting a swipe as I've ever seen.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I am very #teamlindsey and think regardless of whatever argument/ultimatum occurred they are losing the best thing that happened to this band. I am devastated by the betrayal from the rest of the band and wish we had the honest truth on why this has happened in the first place. At age 70 surely you should all know how to suck it up and play nicely for one more tour.

Regarding Neil Finn, whilst I would never dream of having LB replaced ironically Neil Finn is probably my next favourite artist after the band FM. What I will say about him is he is a real entertainer, very comical both on stage ( and if you follow him on Twitter) and quite the showman. Whilst he will need to tone this down of course I believe he will stand back and let SN do her thing and complement her where appropriate. He is an incredible two part harmony singer usually with his brother Tim. And interestingly he is used to constant drama as the two brothers are frequently falling out and at times Tim has simply walked away Mid-tour when they have come to blows as family members can do. At the very least I think he will hold his own and lighten things up.

But again #istandwithlindsey
Old 04-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
I am very #teamlindsey and think regardless of whatever argument/ultimatum occurred they are losing the best thing that happened to this band. I am devastated by the betrayal from the rest of the band and wish we had the honest truth on why this has happened in the first place. At age 70 surely you should all know how to suck it up and play nicely for one more tour.

Regarding Neil Finn, whilst I would never dream of having LB replaced ironically Neil Finn is probably my next favourite artist after the band FM. What I will say about him is he is a real entertainer, very comical both on stage ( and if you follow him on Twitter) and quite the showman. Whilst he will need to tone this down of course I believe he will stand back and let SN do her thing and complement her where appropriate. He is an incredible two part harmony singer usually with his brother Tim. And interestingly he is used to constant drama as the two brothers are frequently falling out and at times Tim has simply walked away Mid-tour when they have come to blows as family members can do. At the very least I think he will hold his own and lighten things up.

But again #istandwithlindsey
ha that's great. i wonder if he tries some of that on the same stage how would that go down. remember how much she hated Rod Stewart teasing her? i would love to see him getting some fan attention. but we already know that majority of the fans who will go to those shows will probably not even see that he's there.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"
Old 04-12-2018, 03:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle View Post
ha that's great. i wonder if he tries some of that on the same stage how would that go down. remember how much she hated Rod Stewart teasing her? i would love to see him getting some fan attention. but we already know that majority of the fans who will go to those shows will probably not even see that he's there.
Except for in The Southern Hemisphere where he is highly regarded and critically acclaimed
Old 04-12-2018, 04:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Except for in The Southern Hemisphere where he is highly regarded and critically acclaimed
Than Miss Nicks would have to take a step back.... She's not gonna like that.

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 04-12-2018, 06:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Playing devil's advocate here (sorry if this was brought up already)

If Christine never returned to the band in 2014 and we were standing here today with Lindsey saying, "I want to do a solo tour before we go out, or I want a new album etc" - would you be inclined to think that Mick would have stopped any tour until Lindsey had a chance to do his thing?

I'm starting to wonder what kind of a say Christine is having in all of this as well. In Mick's eyes he's got Christine, Stevie and John...get replacements for Lindsey like he did in the past and boom you have a touring band.

I dunno - just seems fishy from all angles.

I wonder if Christine really enjoyed the time she spent with Lindsey on the road with the Buckingham/McVie venture...for her to agree to Lindsey getting das boot - or if this was flat out Mick's doing.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

We know so little about the business aspects. Maybe the tour promoters, who had agreed to pay certain guarantees with the understanding they were getting the Rumours 5, wanted to renegotiate downwards considerably without Stevie - maybe that was said in the visit to the tour promoters we heard about. Mick could keep Lindsey if he wanted, of course - it's his band. However, he would have to renegotiate with them if he did so... that is, if they were even still interested at all. Maybe the majority wanted to back out of the deal entirely if Stevie wasn't a part of the band. Christine wouldn't like losing all that money either.

If what that guy on the Campbell Facebook fan page said is true, Stevie really had them over a barrel.

Last edited by sodascouts; 04-12-2018 at 11:03 AM..
Old 04-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Different media outlets keep reporting this as a farewell tour. I don't remember reading that Mick or anyone has ever said that this was a farewell tour. Am I mistaken or has this been called a farewell tour?

Jamie
Old 04-12-2018, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmaletic View Post
Different media outlets keep reporting this as a farewell tour. I don't remember reading that Mick or anyone has ever said that this was a farewell tour. Am I mistaken or has this been called a farewell tour?

Jamie
I don't recall anyone official ever calling it a farewell tour either. Are people just making that assumption based on their ages?
Old 04-12-2018, 09:08 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Yes, Neil will endure her pretensions for the money. Make no mistake, this is all about the $$$$$.

Neil Finn is a clever, prolific creator of music. But this is an eneavour that's unlikely to yield new music in any significant capacity. I just cant see Neil being in this for artistic reasons. What is artistically rewarding about standing on a stage night after night singing other peoples' songs when you written and recorded dozens of your own critically acclaimed albums?
As successful as he's been, if he gets a fair share of the cut, a major Fleetwood Mac tour will yield more than he's probably earned for the past 10 years combined.

So yeah, he'll bow to Stevie.
Oh, he better bow to her or he will be out of the tour before it even starts!
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

So I left a comment on his daughters Instagram page to show support. She posted a message about it. I said the fans are upset and we know Stevie was behind it. SHE LIKED my comment. I think that confirms it for me.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandchain View Post
So I left a comment on his daughters Instagram page to show support. She posted a message about it. I said the fans are upset and we know Stevie was behind it. SHE LIKED my comment. I think that confirms it for me.
Two months ago she posted on IG a GDW's video from Musicares with the legend "My Queen", and today every love she used to have for Stevie is probably gone.

I feel so sorry for this kids! Not only their father was betrayed but they were too. And by people who know them since they were born.
"I think what you would say is that there were factions within the band that had lost their perspective. What that did was to harm the 43-year legacy that we had worked so hard to build, and that legacy was really about rising above difficulties in order to fulfill one's higher truth and one's higher destiny."
Lindsey Buckingham, May 11, 2018.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Statement from Mike

Apologies if someone has already posted this. I'm following multiple discussions here and on the Neil Finn/frenz.com message board as well as through email.

http://www.tompetty.com/news/stateme...od-mac-1767811

Statement from Mike Campbell on joining Fleetwood Mac:

"Though I was sad to hear Lindsey Buckingham is no longer with Fleetwood Mac, I am honored and excited to join the band. Lindsey is one of my favorite musical artists. A true genius at songwriting and guitar playing. I intend to honor his songs while at the same time bring my musicality to the band. After one rehearsal I can tell it’s going to be an amazing collaboration. I am also very happy to have an opportunity to play with Neil Finn, who I greatly admire. Fleetwood Mac not only has one of the greatest rhythm sections in rock history, it also has two of the finest voices and songwriters in Stevie Nicks and Christine McVie. I am looking forward to the tour with great anticipation."

It's interesting that he started by expressing his sadness at LB not being in the band.

matt