User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-24-2008, 05:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I can still remember arguing with my mom about my purchase of Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours. Mom was aghast over the implied sexual content of the cover image.

She had a specific problem with Mick Fleetwood’s belt and in general an issue with Stevie Nicks draping herself over his leg.
How does your mother feel about Stevie now?
Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

U. S. Royalty band member Paul Thornley mentioned being influenced by FM and Lindsey:

http://alldcblog.com/three-stars-u-s-royalty/

What were some of those shared influences that you talked about?

JT: Oasis.

JM: Kings of Leon.

JT: These days, now, there’s been how many years of recorded music? Eighty or ninety? It’s getting to the point now where there’s so much music now that you can’t just say, “Oh I like ’80s stuff or I like ’90s stuff.” I think that folks our age now take in all of it. I think the real challenge is finding bands that cover what you’re kind of going for. So when I say I like a band like Oasis or Kings of Leon, that’s not necessarily saying that I want to write music like they did, it’s going for a convinced vibe or sound and saying, “These guys would be great to play with.”

PT: What else? The Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Lindsay Buckingham, I like every era of rock and roll.

JT: I think we appreciate a lot of stuff so I think we take each song by itself. We write a whole bunch of songs and thereupon we try to figure out how do these fit in together. Like we played one song for our first couple of sets and thereupon we wrote a new song and we’re like, “OK, let’s drop the other one considering we have one now that fits better.” But I think we do better in an album setting considering the albums seem kind of disparate in a sense. There’s different kind of aspects of rock and roll and in the context of an album they compose a little more sense.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:06 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Google Blogs Alert for: christine mcvie

For this century open door The irrevocable Past- Jul 12
By cxhgarthmoses
1943 - The largest flat intercourse plaguey takes parts, lead in relation with the Singapore with regard to Kursk 1943- Christine McVie was innate. British dancer, entertainer, and songwriter (Fleetwood Mac) 1943 - Walter Murch was ...
Cxhgarthmoses's Weblog - http://cxhgarthmoses.wordpress.com

By Mike
I have no idea why the “Edge of Seventeen” should be trying to run through my head, much as I liked the singer I did tend to think of her as “not Christine Perfect (or McVie), you know, the other woman in Fleetwood Mac”, ...
Mike's Meandering Mumbles - http://cmwsadler.org
Old 06-07-2008, 12:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

''Eve of Destruction'' is one of the most popular entrees in the lineup. He's tweaked a few of the lines to make it more relevant for today, and he revised the line about ''Red China,'' changing it to "Think of all the hate that's livin' inside us." Good move, since his tour heads there this summer. Late last month, he recorded the song again, this time with Mick Fleetwood of Fleetwood Mac and Roger McGuinn, formerly of The Byrds. It will be included in his upcoming CD.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/jun...-remains-same/
Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Looks like SHERYL CROW won't be joining FLEETWOOD MAC after all ...
Back in March, Sheryl indicated that she might take CHRISTINE MCVIE's position in the Mac when they started their next album or tour. But Sheryl's friend STEVIE NICKS tells the St. Louis Dispatch that it ain't happening. ...
The Rock WCCC 106.9 Music News - http://www.wccc.com/musicnews.php
Old 06-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

World Cup racing in the early 1980’s was not on today’s more regular schedule. Alpine racing came to the U.S. in the spring. Nick Badami set out to change that, convincing Serge Lang, the father of the White Circus, and the FIS the season should begin in November and, naturally, in Park City. It was Craig who persuaded his father and the FIS that the event should be bigger than just racing. It was to be a show with entertainment, bands, art shows, etc.
And so “America’s Opening” began. Yes, there were ski races, but the Opening was much bigger than racing. Stars like Barbara Mandrell and Fleetwood Mac performed between the first and second runs in front of 12,000 to 15,000 people. Racers were paid in “Badami Bullion” — real gold. Nick Badami once told me that heating the outdoor stage for Fleetwood Mac was “the most expensive thing I ever did,” explaining that the band’s contract required the outdoor stage be 72 to 75 degrees. “It wasn’t the band which was expensive, it was the heating bill," he recalled, laughing.

http://www.skiracing.com/index.php?o...=6584&Itemid=2
Old 06-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Nick Badami once told me that heating the outdoor stage for Fleetwood Mac was “the most expensive thing I ever did,” explaining that the band’s contract required the outdoor stage be 72 to 75 degrees. “It wasn’t the band which was expensive, it was the heating bill," he recalled, laughing.[/B]

http://www.skiracing.com/index.php?o...=6584&Itemid=2
You know we laugh about self-indulgent riders, but I don't think this is one of them. I once saw Christine performing with those gloves with holes through the tips on. They were all visibly cold (with vapor coming from their mouths) and it looked like it was a very uncomfortable night for them all. I know movement and hot lights warm them up a bit, but they can't perform their best when its frigid. Plus, they open themselves up to throat ailments, which could put a wrench in a whole tour schedule.

So, I'd say that wasn't too unreasonable a demand.

Michele
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Google News Alert for: christine mcvie

Plan to build town museum
expressandstar.com - Wolverhampton,England,UK
“But how many realise that Christine McVie, of Fleetwood Mac, whose hit Songbird is world renowned, used to play in Shatterford Village Hall with Stan Webb ...
See all stories on this topic

Cool new CD reissues
By Howard Cohen
... fighting with wife Karen Lamm at the time; the two divorced and he would wind up in a tumultuous but musically inspiring relationship with Christine McVie while cutting Bambu) and a eulogy for a fallen friend (Farewell My Friend). ...
Old 06-14-2008, 12:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Here's an excerpt from an article on reunited bands, from the El Paso Times:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_9579356

He [the editor or Pollstar] believes fans "are able to see through" a band that isn't a reasonable facsimile of the one fans know and love. He cited a club tour by Mick Fleetwood and John McVie under the name of their longtime band, Fleetwood Mac. It created "a real concern as to whether they had diminished the name," Bongiovanni said. A subsequent reunion tour with fabled front musicians Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham enjoyed "over-the-top success, so the public saw through that" club tour.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Excerpt from Guardian article on George Lamb:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/jun/16/radio.bbc

When it comes to musical tastes, Lamb is "not a snob". "I went through a really intense period of listening to Fleetwood Mac about a year ago." he says. "I listened to Rumours, obviously, but there's something about Tango in the Night, about the 80s vibe of it that is wonderful. I also really love Peter Gabriel. But if I put on music it's to block out everything. And I listen to melodies more than to lyrics."
Old 06-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Here's an excerpt from an article on reunited bands, from the El Paso Times:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_9579356

He [the editor or Pollstar] believes fans "are able to see through" a band that isn't a reasonable facsimile of the one fans know and love. He cited a club tour by Mick Fleetwood and John McVie under the name of their longtime band, Fleetwood Mac. It created "a real concern as to whether they had diminished the name," Bongiovanni said. A subsequent reunion tour with fabled front musicians Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham enjoyed "over-the-top success, so the public saw through that" club tour.
I love it when editors show themselves to be idiots.

The argument seems to be that because the band played a club tour, it somehow diminished the good name of Fleetwood Mac (as if Stevie and Lindsey were having success). Here's the problem with that line of reasoning: Any tour billed as Fleetwood Mac that does not have any singers from the "Rumours" band would just play clubs, be it the "Time" band or a hypothetical reunion of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. I highly doubt they would judge the latter as harshly because of the venues they were playing.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I love it when editors show themselves to be idiots.

The argument seems to be that because the band played a club tour, it somehow diminished the good name of Fleetwood Mac (as if Stevie and Lindsey were having success). Here's the problem with that line of reasoning: Any tour billed as Fleetwood Mac that does not have any singers from the "Rumours" band would just play clubs, be it the "Time" band or a hypothetical reunion of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac. I highly doubt they would judge the latter as harshly because of the venues they were playing.
Well, depending on the quality of the clubs you're playing, you probably wouldn't be judged as harshly either, if the club is known for the quality of the talent it attracts, its acoustics, etc.

Also, if you're alone on the bill or playing with a string of other crippled acts makes a difference. Yeah, the "club" wasn't the problem. It was just an abbreviated way of describing a collection of factors that the writer perceived as negative.

Michele
Old 06-17-2008, 01:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Well, depending on the quality of the clubs you're playing, you probably wouldn't be judged as harshly either, if the club is known for the quality of the talent it attracts, its acoustics, etc.

Also, if you're alone on the bill or playing with a string of other crippled acts makes a difference. Yeah, the "club" wasn't the problem. It was just an abbreviated way of describing a collection of factors that the writer perceived as negative.
I understand what you're saying, but it's still not a neat comparison with Fleetwood Mac (compared to Styx or Journey), given that it already had three or four distinct periods by that time. Mick and John were the only originals still in the band by 1971.

Which isn't to say the band didn't screw up. The played it right when they opened for Crosby, Stills, & Nash. That's a very good fit. They may have only done one or two new songs a set, but that was okay since the album hadn't been released, yet. The REO/Benetar tour was a disaster. They would have been better off, IMO, headlining a medium-size club tour and focusing on newer material than have anything to do with this tour. But, they wouldn't have made as much on a club tour, and may have lost money. The only saving grace is that the album still hadn't been released.

OTOH, I find it odd that when people talk about this period, they always mention Stevie and Lindsey not being in the band, but never mention that they were bombing as solo acts themesleves. Lindsey was either an opening act or was playing small to medium sized clubs. Stevie was playing the larger venues, at about 25% capacity. So, how beneficial would they have been? The problem in 1995 is that people didn't care about Fleetwood Mac or the people who had been in the band (save for Peter Green, who went from being rumored to have died, to being rumored to have been preparing for his own comeback). It took a joint effort from Time Warner and Viacom to get people back into the Mac.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 06-21-2008, 03:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Palm Beach Post http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/co...xsvc=7&cxcat=2

May 1, 2008. Section: ACCENT

STILL ROCKIN !!!!
WOMEN OF A CERTAIN AGE TELL US WHO THEY HIT THE ROAD FOR

Anne Rodgers

Idols come in many forms: One woman's dreamboat can be another's disappointment. But most female fans have at least one hitmaker they long to see in concert more than once. When Charm editor Anne Rodgers asked other women of a certain age to reveal which musicians they'd hit the road to see live onstage, the response ranged from country to pop crooner to rock.

Stevie Nicks, The Beach Boys

Ever since I attended a jam session in Malibu, Calif. in the late '80s I have gone all out for Stevie Nicks. (Christine McVie sat next to me and Kris Kristofferson played too.) It's that unique, nasal voice of Stevie's that I love. I have a few of her albums and hope to go see her when she plays in June at Hard Rock Live.

I also like the Beach Boys. I love their sound and I saw them at the Hollywood Bowl in L.A. in the '80s: My daughter and I were dancing in the aisles.

I'd hit the road for either of these acts.

- Sally Crawford, 70something, West Palm Beach

Todd Rundgren

I have been a faithful fan of Todd Rundgren's for 34 years.

My first show was back in the summer of1974 at Central Park and I haven't stopped yet.Plane rides, car rides, you name it: I will still wait in line at general admission shows for hours on endso I can be front and center.

I have made some great friends along the way. About 12 years ago, I met two people inline at a show in Atlanta who'd driven all night from Florida . . . We have been the best of friends ever since. I was even in the delivery room as their daughter made her way into this world 10 years ago.

Some people look at me cockeyed when I tell them all that I do for Todd, but it's a joyful experience and it keeps meyoung.

- Julie Feldman, 49, Lake Worth

Bobby Rydell

I have always loved oldies rock 'n' roll because those songs transport me back to those simpler, less complicated times. So when I interviewed my teenage heartthrob Bobby Rydell in 1988 for an article I was assigned to write for a local entertainment newspaper, I saw it as a golden opportunity.

I was thrilled for the experience, as well as to be invited to his performance that evening. Even though I was a woman of 42 and a mother of two teenage daughters, I reacted like a 15-year-old.

Bobby and I have remained friends ever since, and I often spend time with him and see his shows when he comes to South Florida to entertain.

- Judy Goldstein, 61, Boca Raton

Eric Clapton

So many rock stars . . . so little time! But, I'm old enough and employed enough to be able to afford the price of a ticket! I've got a date with the man of my dreams on May 5, when Eric Clapton plays the Hard Rock. The last time I saw Clapton was at the (long gone) Fillmore East in New York. Can't wait!

Toughest decision now: what to wear!

- Janie Grackin, 58, West Palm Beach

Keith Urban

I am a full-fledged Urban-ite: an official member of the Keith Urban fan club, who must have a daily dose.

For my live fixes, I traveled to one of his shows in Virginia last year and to another one down the road in Sunrise.

If you don't know Keith's music and dismiss him as a "country twanger," I understand, because I never paid ANY attention to country before and couldn't tell you Brad from Merle. But Keith is a rocker at heart and an incredibly talented guy, not to mention his ability to get women's hearts of all ages humming!

- Kaffee Keldie, 56, North Palm Beach

Jimmy Buffett

My own concert favorite is Jimmy Buffett, and I have been to three of his concerts up north during his summer tours. I have a set of fins to wave and a T-shirt from each venue. My favorite-of-all-time song is Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw?, right up there with the timeless Margaritaville.

- Gloria Dennen, 79, Palm Beach Gardens
Old 06-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This is from a Telegraph (UK) article about aging rockers hauling in the dough, from December 29, 2001:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...g-in-cash.html

Even Stevie Nicks, 53, appearing solo without Fleetwood Mac made £10 million from 38 dates. Bob Dylan, 60, still on his Never-ending world tour - he is soon to return to Japan - made £9 million from 58 shows, while Sting, 50, took £9 million from 27 performances.