Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-28-2002, 07:21 PM
Ledgie

Default ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!

I wasn't going to post anymore because I'm personally sick of this whole immature, character bashing, degrading mess but I just can't help myself when someone start throwing around the old Freedom of Speech defense.

Freedom of Speech is a right set forth by our forefathers to grant to right to express opinions in a rational, respectful manner. RESPECTFUL. THAT is what is wrong with this country, society and world (and this board)......period. There use to be a line that decent people knew not to cross. Not just because it wasn't acceptable but because it just was not the right thing to do. Nobody cares anymore about the right thing. They only care about their selfish personal satisfaction no matter who it hurts. These days people are rude and disrespectful to each other on a daily basis and no where is that more evident than on this board.

There are a very small minority of people who seem to automatically turn vicious and nasty when other don't agree with their opinions. One extremely negative person in particular seems to have made a sport out of attacking anyone who disagrees with him/her in any shape or form with his/her name calling, sarcarism and character assasination. This person claims to be here for the music yet this whole thing was started when he/she posted several messages ripping FM apart over this GH thing, something we don't even know for sure will materialize or not or in what form. It's fine if you question the band's motives and the extent of the corporate involvement or whatever, everyone has an opinion and not everyone will agree but it's like it was said before...it's not that you do it, it's HOW you do it and how you continue to do it. I have an idea this person knew his/her comments would ignite a firestorm of angry posts and that's probably part of his/her motive for using the verbage he uses. Just look a this thread. It started out as a moderator's thread closing the original post and it has now turned into another verbal p!ssing match to put it lightly and another excuse to intimidate and degrade other people. You're not even respectful to the moderators.

And another thing - yes there are alot of young people on this board and that's another reason to conduct yourself respectively while expressing your opinions. They may be young and their inmaturity may show at times but they deserve respect just like anyone else. I'm sure you were their age at some point.

Life is dramatic enough with worrying about day to day issues and the current state of the world. If I or anyone else need to escape to fairyland from time to time to keep my freaking sanity, it's not your place to judge. I don't hold to any delusions of a L&S wedding, dream of Lindsey's blue eyes or being Stevie's personal stylist or anything else concerning this band but I sometimes need to escape into Stevie's world to remind myself to look for the positive in this cynical world and that is why I come here and why I'm a fan and have been for almost 30 years.

In closing, next time you want to hide behind the old Freedom of Speech defense you may want to take a moment and remember another speech. It starts "Do unto others.......".

Thank you for my moment on the soapbox and I'm now ready for the flaming I know you can't wait to send. Don't burn up your keyboard.

FYI - I do own a thesaurus but I find my dictionary is more useful in looking up the meaning and usage of a word, don't you?
Old 06-28-2002, 07:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Wild Heart
I sometimes need to escape into Stevie's world to remind myself to look for the positive in this cynical world and that is why I come here and why I'm a fan and have been for almost 30 years.
If you want to escape reality for a while, join in and post a reply on my Fleetwood Mac Big Brother thread.

It's getting pretty funny!
Old 06-28-2002, 07:51 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: Re: ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by madformac

If you want to escape reality for a while, join in and post a reply on my Fleetwood Mac Big Brother thread.

It's getting pretty funny!

I just skimmed through it quickly and the few things I caught look hilarious! I've got to run an errand real quick but I'll be back later and read the whole thing. I'll try to post if I'm feeling creative.

Last edited by Wild Heart; 06-28-2002 at 10:01 PM..
Old 06-28-2002, 10:07 PM
Ledgie

Talking

madformac -

ROTFLMAO! I read your thread and it's brilliant! Fleetwood Mac escapism at it's finest! I just wish I had the creative energy to join in but for now I'll let you guys have the fun and I'll reap the reading rewards!

(I didn't want to spoil the flow of your Fleetwood Mac Big Brother thread so I thought I'd just post here.)
Old 06-28-2002, 10:11 PM

Default Re: ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Freedom of Speech is a right set forth by our forefathers to grant to right to express opinions in a rational, respectful manner. RESPECTFUL.?
Ah, gee. I don't even want to pick on you, but you were clearly referring to me. Go ahead and name me in your posts. I can take it.

Just a couple of points: I appreciate your sentiments about being courteous and so forth. We should all strive for that. I did attack the moderators, but I didn't attack any other members on this thread. And if you look at the other threads, you will see that mostly I just shot back when I was attacked. Secondly, if the moderators can't take it, they have the power to kick me off. But I want to believe that they understand they have put themselves in the line of fire, especially if they are going to censor our speech.

As for you mixing up "respect" with the principle of Freedom of Speech, sorry, but you are just plain mistaken. If you haven't read the First Amendment, check it out. It might do you some good. You'll also see that nowhere does it say anything about "respect." The word "respecting" appears, but in the context of "about" or "in respect to," not in the context of "respectful" or "courteous." Hey, I live by that First Amendment. I should know. As for our founding fathers, you might be under the mistaken assumption they were civil to each other in their debates. You couldn't be more wrong. Read some historical books about the feuds between the Federalists and their foes. Our friends from Britain I'm sure enjoy the weekly broadcasts (or are they monthly?) of their prime minister being ridiculed by his opponents in Parliament. It is quite a spectacle. At Hyde Park, there is a soapbox where anyone can get up and speak his/her mind. And there is no caviat about respect there either.

Look, this is how arguments are fought. Not everyone is going to have the same standard of courtesy. I speak my mind in a certain way. If you don't like that, I understand. But if you're going to attack me, I'm going to give it back to you.

As for the second point, look, you may have a dictionary, but I suggest you get yourself a decent grammar book and a spell checker. Yikes! I could barely get through the mispellings and misused words:

"Assasination"
"There are a very small minority"
"verbage"
"conduct yourself respectively"

Your public school did you a great disservice. And if you went to a private school, demand your money back.

Last edited by CarneVaca; 06-29-2002 at 11:48 PM..
Old 06-28-2002, 10:17 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
madformac -

ROTFLMAO! I read your thread and it's brilliant! Fleetwood Mac escapism at it's finest! I'll let you guys have the fun and I'll reap the reading rewards!

(I didn't want to spoil the flow of your Fleetwood Mac Big Brother thread so I thought I'd just post here.)

Thanks, and no problem, I'll carry on with the thread. It's 4:10am here and I just can't sleep so I'll add a bit more.

Looks like you've got your own debate goin' on on this thread anyway. I'll just sit back and read it, I won't spoil the flow.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:27 PM
Ledgie

Default Re: Re: ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca

As for the second point, look, you may have a dictionary, but I suggest you get yourself a decent grammar book and a spell checker. Yikes! I could barely get through the mispellings and misused words:

"Assasination"
"There are a very small minority"
"verbage"
"conduct yourself respectively"

Your public school did you a great disservice. And if you went to a private school, demand your money back.
And thank you for proving my point about your attitude. So I made a few spelling and grammatical errors. I was p!ssed off and I didn't realize we were being graded for accuracy here! There's is no need to strike out at my educational background. You are certainly working hard on being courteous!

Living by the First Admendment is one thing....abusing it by using it as an excuse to intentionally insult & hurt other people it is quite another...no matter who you are.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:34 PM

"Living by the First Admendment is one thing....abusing it by using it as an excuse to intentionally insult & hurt other people it is quite another...no matter who you are."

I just don't think you understand the First Amendment. Here's a link for you. Go read it:

http://www.freedomforum.org/template...ocumentID=3924

It's pretty clear. And it is also pretty clear that none of what I have said here could be considered "abusing" the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has ruled obscene language and speech that incites violence as instances of speech not protected by this right. As far as I can tell, I've done neither.

And you did it again. Please double-check your spelling and grammar. If you ask me, THAT is an abuse of speech.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

One should never mistake education or intelligence for emotional maturity.

I've known a great number of highly-intelligent people who behaved like petulant three year olds.

Johnny Stew
Old 06-28-2002, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Just like the white winged dove sings a song, sounds like she's singing ooh, ooh, ooh
Just like the white winged dove sings a song, sounds like she's singing ooh baby ooh, say ooh
I hear the call of a nightbird
I hear the call of a nightbird
I still hear the call of a nightbird
Ooh and he says deep in the middle of the night
Do you know what it sounds like
Ooh, do you know what it sounds like
I know what it sounds like...
I know what it sounds like...
I know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike!
Old 06-28-2002, 11:07 PM
Ledgie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CarneVaca
I just don't think you understand the First Amendment. Here's a link for you. Go read it:

That's o.k.. I have a copy right here in my desk along with the rest of the Bill Of Rights. I've read it many times. I know that you may be surprised that an illiterate bumpkin like myself could read something like that with so many big words.

It's pretty clear. And it is also pretty clear that none of what I have said here could be considered "abusing" the First Amendment. The Supreme Court has ruled obscene language and speech that incites violence as instances of speech not protected by this right. As far as I can tell, I've done neither.

You are correct. You have not, to my knowledge, used obscene language or speech that incites violence (although judging by a couple of the other Ledgie posts, that thought may have crossed a few minds in a milder form). You have, however, deliberately made insulting remarks with the intent on hurting people's feelings (or just to p!ss them off) and then when you're called on being obnoxious, you hide behind Freedom of Speech. You just don't get it! It's not about Freedom of Speech. It's about not being rude and being decent and respectful. No that's not in the freaking First Amendment! I know! It's just something every decent human including yourself should do! Try it sometime - you might like it.

And you did it again. Please double-check your spelling and grammar. If you ask me, THAT is an abuse of speech.

Ah! And you did it again too! You once again have proven my point about that nasty little attitude! You should really have that checked! THAT, my fellow Ledgie, is an abuse of speech.

Last edited by Wild Heart; 06-28-2002 at 11:41 PM..
Old 06-28-2002, 11:19 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by madformac

Thanks, and no problem, I'll carry on with the thread. It's 4:10am here and I just can't sleep so I'll add a bit more.

Looks like you've got your own debate goin' on on this thread anyway. I'll just sit back and read it, I won't spoil the flow.
Well I'm just about debated out! I don't enjoy arguing with sign posts. It's just not fun. I liked Johnny Stew's recent post and after some thought, I think it's time for me to climb out of the gutter and take that high road.
Old 06-29-2002, 03:03 AM
Senior Ledgie

AMEN to that Wild Heart!!!!

BTW nice to see you again here.

Bye,LOL,
Dimphy
Old 06-29-2002, 06:45 AM
Ledgie

A thread was closed over people getting bent out of shape about an album that doesn't even exist yet?What happened to the old days when we actually had a misogynistic homophobe to argue with?Now that was something to get yer panties in a bunch about!
Old 06-29-2002, 07:27 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Heart
Quote:
[i]And you did it again. Please double-check your spelling and grammar. If you ask me, THAT is an abuse of speech.

Ah! And you did it again too! You once again have proven my point about that nasty little attitude! You should really have that checked! THAT, my fellow Ledgie, is an abuse of speech.
Time to get a sense of humor. Why do some people take this stuff so seriously? (making herculean effort not to make another snide remark.)

And as for the rest, I'm glad you say you understand the First Amendment. You didn't seem to in previous posts. I've already addressed your points about courtesy.