Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-27-2002, 01:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default From the moderator

A thread has been closed due to the disrespectful nature of its content. I am sorry to have to do this and hope it won't have to happen again.

"We listen to their voices, ignoring our own voice" Stevie - SOTM
"I keep the dream in my pocket, never let it fade away" Lindsey - TITN
Old 06-27-2002, 02:10 PM

This is nonsense. If people disagree, why not just let them work it out, or give up, on their own?

You should be trying to encourage the exchange of ideas, even if it gets a little heated. What's this, fascism?

Last edited by CarneVaca; 06-27-2002 at 02:19 PM..
Old 06-27-2002, 02:18 PM
Ledgie

Cool Whoooooaaaaaa!

Deja vu, man!
Old 06-27-2002, 02:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking thank you vianna

i'm so glad you closed it! that thread was sooooo tired!

mimi
Old 06-27-2002, 02:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
This is nonsense. If people disagree, why not just let them work it out, or give up, on their own?

You should be trying to encourage the exchange of ideas, even if it gets a little heated.
i'm sorry Vianna, but i have to agree with this statement.
this 'fight' was not over-dirty and seemed to be chilling down at the end, this closing of a thread containing some very interesting thoughts by many, plus some important info, seems too strict in my opinion.
democracy doesn't always look so nice, but it's a must.

somewhere deep in the middle of the night baby, i think about you!!! she says somewhere deep in the middle of the night my baby, i think about you!!!! she says i know what it sounds liiike! i know what it sounds liiiiiiiiiiike, i know what it sounds like, it sounds like youuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!

Last edited by tommer; 06-27-2002 at 02:58 PM..
Old 06-27-2002, 10:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

i havnt posted here in a while, but just from reading certain posts by people..you can tell some of them are contagious assholes. No offense but reading that thread was not exactly inviting to join in on the conversation

People have all the right to express their opinion, disagree or agree. However, to get nitty gritty and just plain snotty over somones thought or ideas...is pitifull. It's sad to see a bunch of fans who can't even post on fan forum without some sort of arguemtn over stupid little deatils and name calling.

Call me STUPID if you wish...i don't care none the less

Alex
Old 06-28-2002, 06:15 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Good call Vianna

I could have gone either way on the use of such an angry thread, but in the end...

it's the moderator's call. I respect her decision!

That's what we have a moderator for. People must have complained as well.

So let's not turn this into a disparaging thread about the moderator!
Old 06-28-2002, 08:30 AM

Unfortunately some of the reactions on this board are pretty reflective of what's going on in the country (I realize a handful of people here post from outside the US). Essentially ignorant people who don't understand or appreciate the beauty and sanctity of a free exchange of ideas want to clamp down on some unpopular views. We see it among the corporations that are trying to run our lives and in our pansy-ass government as well.

That of course is in strict violation of the spirit that guided the folks who came up with concepts such as "freedom of speech." Even going back to pre-colonial days, there were folks back in England (and if you want to go back far enough, Greece) who argued in favor of a marketplace of ideas, in which opposing views would fight it out in public and the truth would emerge, whatever it may be.

Now we see the fascists who run these boards going down the track of censorship. It's nothing new here. This board became overly restrictive a few years back after some folks made some unpopular comments and got into cyber verbal conflicts. Having been the one you would probably consider the villain in the thread in question, I understand whom the insults already on this thread are being directed at. Let me make it clear: I don't care that you disapprove of the way I handled myself. The whole thing started after I made unpopular remarks about the band. Some little pissant who was obviously uninformed and thin-skinned decided to engage me in volley of words until she gave up and, presumably, went to complain to the Ledge fascists in charge. Mind you, until this person chose to engage me, I had had what I considered interesting discussions with others on the board. Some people agreed with my positions and some disagreed. Only one person chose to continue to combat me in this way. The thread speaks for itself.

Some people will say I was disrespectful and what have you. Yet I never directly engaged in name-calling while some of my remarks were admittedly less-than-courteous. Hey, that's the breaks. Do people always adress you in precisely the way you would want to be addressed? If you engage in a discussion, you must be mature enough to understand that someone may address you in a way you dislike. I can go back over the thread in question and spot a couple of places where remarks were made that I might have taken as insult. Yet I chose to believe the author(s) was merely making a point, not attacking me. After all, I don't know these people and they don't know me. So whatever assumptions they make about me (or I about them) are unimportant.

Now, kick me off the boards if you must. As you have others who came before me with unpopular views. And as you will others who come after me. Then you'll be well on your way to ensuring that you will have nothing but countless megabytes of cyber drivel about how deep a shade of blue Lindsey's eyes are and how great Stevie looked at the last of her countless appearances at one of these masturbatory celebrity events that are constanly in the news.

Me, I'm interested in the music. And it is because of that that I made my orginal comments on the thread in question.
Old 06-28-2002, 09:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Some little pissant who was obviously uninformed and thin-skinned decided to engage me in volley of words until she gave up and, presumably, went to complain to the Ledge fascists in charge.
For you information I took the adult approach and walked away from the argument as it was getting us nowhere and this isn't the place for that. I can honestly say I have never had a problem with anyone on this board before but I will not sit here and be insulted. Was I being overly sensitive??? Maybe so and if that is the case then I will try not to be again. Perhaps you could do the same and let it drop also. Though I expect you will feel the need to respond to my post.

Pip

Oh and obviously I am uninformed again as that sounds like yet more insults you are throwing my way
Old 06-28-2002, 09:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question why is this happening?

please stop before the moderator CLOSE THE BOARD! how many times was chit chat closed! enough is enough! drop it everyone please!

mimi
Old 06-28-2002, 09:18 AM

"Was I being overly sensitive??? Maybe so and if that is the case then I will try not to be again."

Not being too successful, are you?

"Oh and obviously I am uninformed again as that sounds like yet more insults you are throwing my way."

If the hat fits...
Old 06-28-2002, 09:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I have not seen the post that this is about. But as far as freedom of speech, no one is taking that away from anyone by locking a post. You can say all you want to say, maybe just not here. And moderators have every right to do that. This is not your message board. Someone else set it up. And they have the right to keep it the way they want it.

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you have the right to go *everywhere* and say what you want. If someone invites you into their house and then you start up something they do not feel is fitting, and it's upsetting their other guests, they have every right to ask you to either stop, or to please leave. That is not holding back your freedom of speech. Your freedom of speech doesn't entitle you to take away other people's freedoms. And since this message board is very much like someone's living room that you are invited into, then they have the right to say - we don't want this type of thing going on here. And we can respect that, or leave. It's our choice. So chill out and stop throwing the whole "freedom of speech" into the mix. I mean, give me a break.

So, no big deal. Take the conversation elsewhere if you want. That's your freedom. Ain't it grand!

Last edited by Ghosty; 06-28-2002 at 09:23 AM..
Old 06-28-2002, 09:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Question y?

Quote:
Originally posted by CarneVaca
"Was I being overly sensitive??? Maybe so and if that is the case then I will try not to be again."

Not being too successful, are you?

"Oh and obviously I am uninformed again as that sounds like yet more insults you are throwing my way."

If the hat fits...
and what r u so mad about? let it go. please!

mimi
Old 06-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Unhappy trouble on the boards

OK,

I've been having discussions by email with other nameless Ledgies and the feeling I am getting is this:-

This message board is populated in the greater majority by teenagers, which is on the whole a good thing. It shows this band and it's members are reaching a large range of age groups and not just appealing to the"oldies".

However, some of these teenagers or even some of the adults with immature mentalities seem to take offense if anything with a negative approach to this band is posted. If anyone questions an aspect of the band, it's music or a particular member, especially Stevie, it is deemed blasphemous. Those of you taking this approach know who you are. As for those of you at school or college that feel this way, please understand that you will never gain wisdom in life unless you open up and grasp other peoples ideas, good or bad, and reflect on them with an open mind.

As for the moderators, their job is to ensure that these boards remain free of particularly bad language and to stop any posts that are in bad taste. If Ledgies descend to personal attacks and name calling then they should recieve a friendly warning and their posts should be edited accordingly, not removed altogether. Remember moderators, you wield the power to decide what we see posted, please set a good example to the rest of us. On the whole, keep up the good work.

If this post upsets anybody, sorry if I've caused any trouble in your own personal shangri-la, but please think before you reply to a thread.

Thanks.
Old 06-28-2002, 10:18 AM

"I have not seen the post that this is about."

Would you review a book without reading it first?

"Freedom of speech doesn't mean you have the right to go *everywhere* and say what you want."

I don't think I said that. I was merely suggesting that the folks who control this site should encourage a free exchange of ideas. If you missed that, I suggest you re-read my post.

"and what r u so mad about? let it go. please!"

If you're bothered by this, stop reading it. No one is forcing you to. Let it go