The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 09-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Bestest Song Ever: 3 X Friday - Fleetwood Mac, Built to Spill ...
By DUSKIN
3 X Friday - Fleetwood Mac, Built to Spill, Bobby Birdman. My Top 3 for the last few weeks (ie. what's on repeat constantly): Fleetwood Mac - That's Alright. Built To Spill - Planting Seeds ...
Bestest Song Ever - http://www.bestestsongever.com/
Old 09-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

That's Alright gets a surprising amount of attention. People seem to speak pretty highly of it, and I've heard a number of covers. Not that I'm complaining as I love the song! If only the Mac would stop ignoring it...
Old 09-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The Pitch Blog had an article on the Top 5 bands they'd like to see with new albums. FM was #3 on the list. Then they mused about things the band could auction off to raise enough money to pay for the studio expenses. They don't know Christine very well. I don't think she's into knitting or the "sweetie" endearment:

http://blogs.pitch.com/wayward/2010/...like_to_se.php

By David Huddnall, 9-24-2010

3. Fleetwood Mac. They're all still alive. Why not? (Apart from the fact that they don't need the money.)

Suggested auction items:

*Lindsey Buckingham explains why he insists on playing that weird little brown guitar ($125)

*Christine McVie knits you a sweater ($400), calls you "sweetie" (additional $50)

*Stevie Nicks tarot reading ($799)
Old 09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

The Smashing Pumpkins rock Tulsa for first time in 16 years
By Richard Hall Oklahoman September 25, 2010

Before the show, Corgan sent out a Twitter update that read, "And dare I say that Tulsa gets a very special surprise tonight with a special Cherri Bomb + SP lighters in the air moment..." That special surprise came during the encore, when he took the stage with Cherri Bomb's Julia Pierce. The two played Corgan's version of "Landslide," originally written by Stevie Nicks. On stage, Corgan said it was to be considered a "gift" for Tulsa. The entire crowd sang along, and people around me began tearing up while doing so.

http://www.newsok.com/the-smashing-p...oncert-reviews
Old 09-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Oooo, G has put on Fleetwood Mac. Bet you didn't know I love Fleetwood Mac-the 70's Stevie years! In fact, I am quite into Stevie! She plays a mean tambourine!!
G is just getting the Kombi out; we are going over to Nix & Si's for band practice and will stay the night in their driveway. Vans are so freaking practical!

http://helgavontrollop.blogspot.com/...frills-me.html
Old 09-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

RUMOURS - FLEETWOOD MAC (1977)
Also one of the remnants from my childhood, this album had 4 singles when it was released and it was rare at that time to have that many singles. My favourite track is ‘Dreams’ which I think it is one of the best pop single of all time – Stevie Nicks’s witchy and hypnotic (draggy) vocal over a numbing bass line. I would repeat this track alone like 5 times for short distance drive though I still love the rest of the album including the wailing ‘Gold dust woman’

http://brothr2brothr.blogspot.com/2010/09/on-road.html
Old 09-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Just Cavalli

I have to admit that Fleetwood Mac’s The Chain, is probably one of my Desert Island Discs. By June 2011, it could well be yours too, because it is unquestionably the theme tune of the season. From Manhattan to Milan, the designers just can’t get enough of Stevie Nicks.

Leopard prints and fringed leather are, of course, the fabrics that decorate Roberto Cavalli’s spiritual home, so it would have been a surprise if in such a season he wasn’t in his element. As he prepares to celebrate his 40th anniversary, his Just Cavalli collection was a chiffon, lace and leather loaded classic.

And the spirit of Stevie and Christine McVie prowled the runways in lace shirts tucked into skinny flared pants with heavily fringed shoulder bags topped off with beaten up buckskin hats. Floaty leopard printed maxi dresses were accessorised with pendants of sliced quartz. Snakeskin waistcoats over billowy blouses and distressed denims were perfect for every ‘Gold Dust Woman’ out there who ever wanted to strike a pose to ‘Rumours’ turned up full blast on their iPods.

- Paula Reed in Milan

http://www.graziadaily.co.uk/showrep...st-cavalli.htm
Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Tears & Pain - Retro – Rhiannon
By Thorne
So, in a sense both in Etherian and in my head she is immortal. Her name comes from the Fleetwood Mac song Rhiannon, sung by the beautiful Stevie Nicks. FYI She really is an evil Bitch.*Rhiannon not Stevie Nicks*. Good Travels, ...
Tears & Pain - http://tearsandpain.com/
Old 09-26-2010, 09:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

“Walls (Circus)”
Album: Songs and Music from the Motion Picture She's The One

If I asked you which Fleetwood Mac member made the greatest contribution to Petty’s recording career, you might answer Stevie Nicks in a heartbeat, and it would be hard to argue against that since she popped up several times and the two sang a duet that was a major hit. But what if I told you that Lindsey Buckingham ran a closer second in this race than you might think?

You see, it’s Buckingham who arranged and sang the endlessly fascinating layers of backing vocals that make this version of “Walls” so special, elevating a great song into a spectacular one. Since this version is subtitled “Circus,” Buckingham fittingly creates the aural equivalent of a Hall of Mirrors, his voice seconding Petty’s admonitions in skewed proportions at seemingly impossible angles to a reticent girl. One can imagine her, at the center of this barrage, finally grasping the full magnitude of what she has lost.

And it is ultimately a loss, as hinted by Petty’s final set of opposites in his brilliantly conceived lyrics: “Part of me you carry/Part of me is gone.” It’s a tough position to be in when you’re apologizing for someone else’s mistakes, but TP never shows anger or disdain for this girl’s standoffishness; he simply gives her all the evidence he can so that she might see the unseen hurt that such a stance can produce.

Some might prefer the quieter charms of “Walls (No. 3),” but, to me, the huge production here is necessary to thaw this frozen heart. I saw it once, but I honestly can’t remember too much about She’s the One, the Ed Burns movie to which Petty granted this song. But if for no other reason than it inspired this magnificent effort, well, then that long-forgotten flick certainly served its purpose.

“Insider”
Album: Hard Promises

The story behind this song is that Petty wrote it with the intention of giving it to Stevie Nicks, then thought it too good to let go. Nicks understood and agreed to sing back-up on “Insider.” Petty eventually gave her “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around,” which the two rode all the way to the bank, and all was right with the world, right?

Well, not quite, because, while there’s no doubting that “Stop Draggin’” is a great song, “Insider” is not just better, but is one of the best songs that Petty has ever written. And yet it remains largely unheard, tucked away quietly on Side 2 of Hard Promises. I’m begging you, casual TP fans, look this song up, and you’ll be as floored as I was when I discovered it upon purchasing the CD many years ago.

First of all, it is a tender band performance, featuring what may be Benmont Tench’s finest moments with the Heartbreakers. His organ propels the music in the verse, riding over the acoustic guitar and hitting all of the right emotional notes without ever overdoing it. His pounding piano in the wordless bridge is more elemental, as he bashes way in conjunction with the frustration of the narrator.

Next there is the stunningly great duet that Petty and Nicks perform here. On “Stop Draggin,” it was more of a he said/she said vibe, but here, they’re on the same team. As Petty woefully tells his tale yet keeps his emotions on a low boil, Nicks acts as his id, letting loose with all of the pain he’s proud to show.

Above all, it’s a wonderful song, with music that sighs and then surges as each new wound rises to the surface, and lyrics that nail the plight of someone whose vision of a perfect love is ultimately betrayed. When Petty draws the curtain to revel the third party who has ultimately interfered with this scenario, it’s with a mixture of disgust and concern: “I’ll bet you’re his masterpiece /I’ll be you’re his self-control/Yeah you’ll become his legacy/His quiet world of white and gold.”

In the final moments, as he tried to define his own role in this farce, he comes to the shuddering realization that he simply wasn’t what she wanted: “And I’m the one who oughta know/I’m the one you left to rust/Not one of your twisted friends/I’m the one you couldn’t love.”

On this last line, Petty’s voice practically quakes, the façade finally coming down. It is an overpowering moment in this amazing song. This guy may say he’s an “Insider,” but few songs have ever so expertly detailed the helplessness of what it’s like to be on the outside of a relationship looking in.

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/09-...-inspired-one/
Old 09-27-2010, 06:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Real Story Behind Biggest Bands
Post by: Dave-O 27 September, 2010 - 10:37 PM

He's as big or perhaps even bigger than the Aussie music industry itself. Michael Chugg, or 'Chuggi' as he's known in the music biz, is one of our most famous rock music figures.

As a rock promoter he's brought out everyone from Elton John and Billy Joel to Guns N' Roses and Bon Jovi, and he's still working as hard as ever today, about to bring U2 to our shores at the end of the year.

So we guess it was only a matter of time before he'd put pen to paper, teaming up with rock critic for The Australian, Iain Shedden to write Hey, You in the Black T- Shirt, a colourful book that lifts the lid on the world's biggest touring bands.

There are some classic stories like this excerpt we found at themusic.com.au where 'Chuggi' recalls the backstage demands surrounding Fleetwood Mac's 1977 tour of Australia, nine months after their album Rumours had been released.

"They want limes, not readily available everywhere. For the first and only time in my life I'm a lime-smuggler.

"Their tastes in alcohol, not surprisingly, are five-star French champagne, Courvoisier cognac, Tanqueray gin and Pimm's, a drink I knew about only because my mum liked one on special occasions.

"These requirements are above and beyond the security blankets they have brought along with them from the United States, such as a mobile gymnasium, two grand pianos and a masseuse. Only the masseuse and one of the pianos make it out of their flight cases during the tour.

"There was also cocaine - lots of it - although I wasn't aware of that at the beginning. An assortment of interesting people turned up with it. In Mac world, at the peak of their vacuum cleaner capabilities, whatever went up their noses was never enough."

This is definitely a must-have for all passionate rock music fans. I know I'll be lining up for a copy.

Hey, You in the Black T- Shirt by Michael Chugg with Iain Shedden is out on October 1.

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/mus...0927-9z32.html
Old 09-28-2010, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Azure Ray: Drawing Down the Moon (Saddle Creek; 2010) | Record ...
... known each other since they were 15 and moved hand-in-hand through several bands and even across states—from Alabama, to Georgia, to Nebraska—the split to pursue anything else was a breakup Stevie Nicks/Lindsey Buckingham sized. ...
Cokemachineglow.com - http://www.cokemachineglow.com/
Old 09-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Drums Mac | Yi Wup's Music Fantastic
By admin
Fleetwood Mac drummer and cofounder Mick Fleetwood comes across in this hour-long documentary as a doggedly persistent, admittedly flawed, but ultimately satisfied survivor of some 35 years in the rock & roll trenches. ...
Yi Wup's Music Fantastic - http://www.yiwup.com/

Steamer Fleetwood | Happy Turkey Day!
By admin
Ex-Mayall players Fleetwood and McVie then went on to form an incendiary band of psychedelic blues under the name Fleetwood Mac. But it was not until hearing a little-known 1973 record from Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks that Mick ...
Happy Turkey Day! - http://www.happyturkeyday.org/
Old 09-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Celebrity birthdays for the week of Oct. 3-9
Associated Press
Posted on September 30, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Oct. 3: Singer Chubby Checker is 69. Actor Alan Rachins is 68. Magician Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy is 66. Singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac is 61. Jazz saxophonist Ronnie Laws is 60. Blues singer Keb' Mo' is 59. Actor Peter Frechette ("Profiler") is 54. Actor Jack Wagner is 51. Drummer Tommy Lee of Motley Crue is 48. Actress Janel Moloney ("The West Wing") is 41. Singer Gwen Stefani of No Doubt is 41. Singer Kevin Richardson of the Backstreet Boys is 39. Singer G. Love is 38. Actress Neve Campbell is 37. Singer India.Arie is 35. Rapper Talib Kweli is 35. Actor Seann William Scott is 34. Guitarist Mark King of Hinder is 28. Singer Ashlee Simpson-Wentz is 26.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/entertainment/104065319.html
Old 09-30-2010, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
Celebrity birthdays for the week of Oct. 3-9
Associated Press
Posted on September 30, 2010 at 5:04 AM

Oct. 3: Singer Chubby Checker is 69. Actor Alan Rachins is 68. Magician Roy Horn of Siegfried and Roy is 66. Singer-guitarist Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac is 61. Jazz saxophonist Ronnie Laws is 60. Blues singer Keb' Mo' is 59. Actor Peter Frechette ("Profiler") is 54. Actor Jack Wagner is 51. Drummer Tommy Lee of Motley Crue is 48. Actress Janel Moloney ("The West Wing") is 41. Singer Gwen Stefani of No Doubt is 41. Singer Kevin Richardson of the Backstreet Boys is 39. Singer G. Love is 38. Actress Neve Campbell is 37. Singer India.Arie is 35. Rapper Talib Kweli is 35. Actor Seann William Scott is 34. Guitarist Mark King of Hinder is 28. Singer Ashlee Simpson-Wentz is 26.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/entertainment/104065319.html
interesting link viv, from a new orleans station. are you from here too!?!?
Old 10-01-2010, 02:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystorms View Post
interesting link viv, from a new orleans station. are you from here too!?!?
I am not. But here on the great wide web we are all one City.