User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Stew View Post
I remember reading once, years ago, that Christine celebrated her divorce from John, and her "newfound sexual freedom," by having her tubes tied.

I don't recall having ever read that anywhere else, so who knows if it's true. Definitely take it with a grain of salt.
I'm not sure she actually "celebrated" the divorce in that way. If I remember correctly she had the sterialisation done about the time of her relationship with Dennis Wilson.

she was quoted in one of her ITM interviews saying something like "there was a time about 20 odd years ago when it would have been nice to have children" Please don't take that as gospel because I'm only going on my memory which is sketchy.

Gail
Old 05-25-2007, 11:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I remember reading once, years ago, that Christine celebrated her divorce from John, and her "newfound sexual freedom," by having her tubes tied.

I don't recall having ever read that anywhere else, so who knows if it's true. Definitely take it with a grain of salt.
I read that too, I think it was somewhere in the late seventies. I thought it was hilarious

You got a sweet heart
Never will you be replaced
Old 05-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
I'm sure it was genuine at the time, but I'm not sure it was a huge, overriding passion like her career was. And I'm sure she does feel like her clock ran out. But I've read more than a few interviews where she's said that motherhood wasn't really her deal.
My take is, that she regrets it, but not enough to have changed what she actually did. Otherwise she would have changed what she did. Maybe she even regrets it quite a bit, but she made the choices she made, and I don't think she regrets what she actually accomplished. She's always said she wouldn't trade her life. I dunno, I think she regrets it, but what she actually did goes a long, long way to offset her sorrow about it. And I'm sure it stings more as she gets older, and all the boys are having kids. Like if she could have a kid now, she would. But I really don't think she would have traded her career at the time for a child. I mean, she didn't. And I think if she looks back, she probably thinks "well, hindsight is 20/20, but at the time I didn't think it was right, so it probably wasn't. Maybe I could have made different choices, but I was living my life, and those are the choices I made, and good things came from those choices, too".
hehehehe. Plus, everyone she knows has kids, so, she's like an aunt a million times. But she gets to give those kids back at the end of the day. Except Jess, she lived with Jess the whole time she was growing up, and Jess is a blood relation, so I'm sure that was pretty fulfilling for her.
Personally I think that it's been a huge regret ever since the OSOTM days. Probably even before, but that's when time really started ticking and then that ROF video with the hubby and the baby... lots of talk about career vs. family around that time and then a little later on during BTM/TS she brought up adoption a lot. It wasn't until The Dance/Enchanted that her tune all of a sudden changed and she was pretending to be perfectly happy with never having kids. But it's like that person that tells you 10 times a day that he's happy with his current job... you just know that he'd rather do something else. I got the same feeling from Stevie. The more she 'protested' the less I believed it.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gailh View Post
I'm not sure she actually "celebrated" the divorce in that way. If I remember correctly she had the sterialisation done about the time of her relationship with Dennis Wilson.
The author seemed to have a rather cynical view of '70s rock bands and all of their antics, so the idea of Christine "celebrating" her divorce and her "newfound sexual freedom" in that way, was most likely how he viewed the situation.

Both comments, by the way, were quotes of his -- not Christine's. Just want to clear that up.
If it happened later though, it seems like he didn't even have his facts straight!

I really wish I could remember the name of the book. I borrowed it a few times from the high school library, allllllllll those years ago, when I was still in school.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by danax6 View Post
Personally I think that it's been a huge regret ever since the OSOTM days. Probably even before, but that's when time really started ticking and then that ROF video with the hubby and the baby... lots of talk about career vs. family around that time and then a little later on during BTM/TS she brought up adoption a lot. It wasn't until The Dance/Enchanted that her tune all of a sudden changed and she was pretending to be perfectly happy with never having kids. But it's like that person that tells you 10 times a day that he's happy with his current job... you just know that he'd rather do something else. I got the same feeling from Stevie. The more she 'protested' the less I believed it.
I still don't think that Stevie "changed her tune," per se. I think she took stock of her life after she kicked the Klonopin addiction, and came to the realization that, as much as she would have liked to have children, she just simply wasn't willing to give up her career. That "it's not the right time" or "I haven't found the right man to be the father" were just excuses to put it off "until tomorrow."

I imagine she had one of those moments we all have, where we think, "you know, as much as I say 'I wish I had done this or that,' if I REALLY wanted to, I would have made it happen somehow."
Old 05-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I imagine she had one of those moments we all have, where we think, "you know, as much as I say 'I wish I had done this or that,' if I REALLY wanted to, I would have made it happen somehow."
Yes, I agree with that, but I sometimes wonder if she really could make it happen. I'm not talking about her lifestyle/career perse, but maybe biologically? There's that mysterious 'I lost four', which could mean abortion, but also miscarriage. And the way she was so hellbent on raising Matthew after Robin died, going as far as marrying a guy she didn't even love. I get there was a lot of grief there, but I somehow sense it was about something more. When that idealized notion of a perfect family, the hubby and the kids, didn't work out like she had always dreamed, she bailed completely. It took a long time before she even had the slightest bit of contact with Matthew again. If she wanted to take care of Matthew because of Robin there wouldn't have been a need for all the drastic measures she took. So it maybe was a combination of those two things, that she somehow couldn't conceive and/or that she really wanted a family, not like say, Sheryl Crow, single and adopting.
Old 05-26-2007, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Default Re: Stevie

Based on past info from the press about 15-20 years ago, Stevie was trying to have a baby. She was unable to either conceive or maintain the pregnancy. I really am not sure. I won’t even get into the reason as to why she couldn’t but I don’t think that it had anything to do with drugs.
I find in ironic how Stevie seemed to want to have a baby and here is Lindsey who never wanted one and now he has three. Life isn’t always fair and I do think that Stevie somehow might feel that way when she sees Lindsey and his kids.
I heard in the news a few days ago that a woman in her 60s gave birth so I guess that if Stevie really wanted to she could still find a way.
Celebs today also seem to tout around the tots like they are an accessory. It is almost chic to have a baby. Back in the 70/80s that was not the case. To add more insult to injury in Stevie’s case, Jimmy Iovine’s wife Vicki is a famous author who writes books about pregnancy and babies. Vicki was the host of a Mom’s Tea Party recently that included guests like Gwen Stefani and Nelly Furtado. The 4 page photo spread can be found in May’s InStyle magazine pages 302-305. If Stevie did have a kid she would have gotten a lot of press.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:12 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Nobody scanned this in yet?