Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > The Early Years
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Jumping at Shadows: The Blues Years

Oh boy. I've never posted on The Ledge before. But I've got a question, and AMFM has been all but dead for a while now, so here I make my debut!

Anyway, I've been in a very bluesy mood of late, so I've been listening to lots of early Mac and wondering if my collection needs any expanding. (Can one ever have enough Mac?)

My question is about the two-disc compilation "Jumping at Shadows: The Blues Years." Does anyone know anything about this set? On first glance, most of the Fleetwood Mac material appears to be stuff that's already been released on Vaudeville Years, Show-Biz Blues, and the Boston Tea Party discs. Am I right? Is this all stuff I already own? Or are these different versions that I should really check out?

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Jyqm
Old 12-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Welcome abord the Ledge, Jyqm I've seen your posts on AMFM, and I'm sure you'll find a lot more useful info here (I know I have!).

Regarding Jumping at Shadows: The Blues Years, you're correct that a lot of what's on there is covered on the other discs that you mention, but the Duster Bennett and Brunning Hall Sunflower Blues Band tracks are very good, and all include Peter Green. And if I remember correctly, the live version of "Jumping At Shadows" on this set is different from the ones on the Boston Tea Party discs (and is probably my favorite live version of the song).

So I guess it depends on how much of a Peter Green completist you are, but I think it's well worth picking up.
Old 12-02-2004, 06:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfan2000
the live version of "Jumping At Shadows" on this set is different from the ones on the Boston Tea Party discs
Well, I don't have this JAS comp either but I thought I remembered someone that had it saying that "Jumping at shadows" from this JAS comp was from the Boston Tea Party tapes but wasn't on the Snapper "Live in Boston: Remastered Vols. 1-3" but was on "Show biz blues" (disc 2, track 2). Can anyone confirm this?

John
Old 12-02-2004, 08:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcamelfood
Well, I don't have this JAS comp either but I thought I remembered someone that had it saying that "Jumping at shadows" from this JAS comp was from the Boston Tea Party tapes but wasn't on the Snapper "Live in Boston: Remastered Vols. 1-3" but was on "Show biz blues" (disc 2, track 2). Can anyone confirm this?

John
Yes, that's correct! I'd forgotten that this version was on Show-Biz Blues as well.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Thanks for the help, guys! I likely won't be picking up this set anytime soon, since I already own most of those tracks. But my blues mood did lead me to pick up some Howlin' Wolf and Lightnin' Hopkins at Borders today.

And yes, that is a great "Jumping at Shadows!"

-Jyqm