User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I’m not much of a math guy, either, but I couldn’t help but notice this stat...

Peter Green: 6 albums
Jeremy Spencer: 6 (7) albums
Danny Kirwan: 6 (7) albums
Bob Welch: 5 albums
Lindsey Buckingham: 6 (7) albums

Jeremy Spencer’s first solo album and LBCM are essentially Fleetwood Mac albums, which accounts for the numbers in parentheses.

I'd be interested to know what you consider the 6 studio albums are for Peter, Jeremy and Danny. As far as I'm concerned PG only did 3 albums. I'm guessing you are including Blues Jam at Chess and Pious Bird of Good Omen. Cant think what the other one might be.
I don't think they are a fair comparison for Lindsey's contributions; Blues Jam at Chess was recorded 'live' in a weekend and PBOGO was a compilation album. Even PG's Fleetwood Mac was mostly recorded 'live' in a short period of time. This cant be compared to LB's years of studio work.
Also, what's the additional bracketed Danny album?

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-15-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well, I was just comparing the primary guitarists, but Christine was on all but two albums (PGFM and Blues Jam Session At Chess/In Chicago). She was also not on EP, but my list was just studio albums.
It would be interesting to add her albums. Official and otherwise. She's been on just about everything studio wise. Including BuckVie..errrrrr the last Fleetwood Mac Album.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpossibleHoney View Post
OMG! This is STILL going on?

Ticket sales: Why is anyone surprised by this? They have continually shoveled out the same setlist for over two decades now (outside of the Say You Will tour but even that evolved further and further into the formulaic FM setlist with time) and honestly, yep - even I am tired of "Dreams", "Go Your Own Way" and "Big Love" by this point. Lindsey's motivational speeches and Mick's over long drum solos - those can go too. It's boring and it's predictable and with how much these tickets are now - its becoming harder and harder to justify.

I saw BuckVie opening night in Atlanta - 4th or 5th row. The show was better than expected but I remember walking away thinking ARE MY CHILDHOOD IDOLS PHONING IT IN NOW? They're singing along to guided vocals like a pop star....what's the world coming to indeed.
I also say Stevie on the 24K tour 4th row in Orlando as part of my honeymoon. Admittedly, Stevie & the Mac have been around since before I can remember and husband thought itd be cute to surprise me with these tickets. Was it long and rambling? YES! But I loved the the Storytellers/Behind The Music aspect to it. It was DIFFERENT!

As for Lindsey being the genius of FM - I giggle every single time someone comes up with this. Okay. Maybe back in the day. Have you actually heard Say You Will and BuckVie? I dont know if he gets demoitis and cant fill a song anymore but, it all sounds half baked. The exception is probably "Miranda" but the rest just do not have the Mac magic. The songs aren't full and are just incredibly sparse in arrangement and production. Is it any wonder? Seriously, go listen to the "Wall Of Sound" version of "Thrown Down" (which yes, I know he was involved with) and tell me he didn't completely ruin this song for "Say You Will". I'd have fired him then just for that alone but, thats me. "Thrown Down" is or was the modern Stevie classic and he torched it with production. Then you go to "Mabel Normand" which is beautiful and gorgeous and FULL in production and a fully realized song from the depths of demo Hell (yeah, I still dont know how they pulled this song from THAT demo but....) and its great. Yeah, I wouldn't want Lindsey anywhere near Stevie's songs now.

I still don't know why there still seems to be such a witch hunt for Stevie or excuse me, $tevie, in regards to this whole Lindsey being fired thing comes from. A majority here seem to think they were in the middle of these conversations as they were going down. No one knows anything. Lindsey hasn't said anything yet (he sure does have a thing for women who spill all of his business doesn't he), Stevie has said very little and yet, y'all are ready to burn her down. Makes no sense.
My god, finally a post I can cheer. Especially the part about people acting like they were in the room when FM made the decision to fire LB. Totally ridiculous. Thank you for your fair and logical post in the midst of emotional, bordering on paranoid, rants.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post

I'd like to punch that that Karen right in her piehole. No one in the band should have to listen to her. I hate her far more than $tevie.
Misogyny- check
Old 08-15-2018, 02:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Misogyny- check
Do******g, check.

So I'm only allowed to not like men? Oh, and you.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPlum View Post
I'd be interested to know what you consider the 6 studio albums are for Peter, Jeremy and Danny. As far as I'm concerned PG only did 3 albums. I'm guessing you are including Blues Jam at Chess and Pious Bird of Good Omen. Cant think what the other one might be.
I don't think they are a fair comparison for Lindsey's contributions; Blues Jam at Chess was recorded 'live' in a weekend and PBOGO was a compilation album. Even PG's Fleetwood Mac was mostly recorded 'live' in a short period of time. This cant be compared to LB's years of studio work.
Also, what's the additional bracketed Danny album?
I count English Rose and Pious Bird as one album, since there’s an album’s worth of material between the two albums that’s not available on other Fleetwood Mac albums. Given that British and US releases often differed in that era, it’s challenging to come up with definitive lists. I also include Blues Jam Session at Chess and The Original FM. Sure, they were essentially recorded live, but they’re also part of the band’s history and official body of work.

The additional bracket for Danny was Jeremy’s “solo” album, since Mick, John, and Danny were Jeremy’s backing band. Peter was also on the album, but just on one song, which is why I didn’t count it for him.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-15-2018, 06:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My friend Steve sees Fleetwood Mac as a crockpot—any good ingredient should get chucked in, where it'll simmer for several hours and break down and be just delicious. Throw in a little Dave Walker, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, Dave Mason, Neil Finn (maybe throw in Tim Finn while you're at it), Sheryl Crow, Mike Campbell—if they're good musicians, you'll have a tangy gazpacho.
Neil Finn and Mike Campbell are in a completely different class than the rest of the listed people.

Quote:
I realize that we haven't really seen or heard from this latest group of parts, but we're all familiar enough with the two new guys and the departed guy to know that we're not going to be experiencing another classic lineup. By the way, those guys were memorable elements of their respective bands—Mike Campbell's guitar playing shot the Heartbreakers to worldwide popularity. But he isn't the right ingredient for Fleetwood Mac.
I think it’s too early to tell. And, who said it was going to be another classic lineup? I don’t think anyone, even those of us who are excited about it, believes it could possibly be mentioned in the same breath as the Peter Green or Rumours versions of Fleetwood Mac. There isn’t time for that and the current state of the industry wouldn’t allow for it. Still, it certainly has the potential to be compelling, if not great.

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 08-15-2018, 08:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
My friend Steve sees Fleetwood Mac as a crockpot—any good ingredient should get chucked in, where it'll simmer for several hours and break down and be just delicious. Throw in a little Dave Walker, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, Dave Mason, Neil Finn (maybe throw in Tim Finn while you're at it), Sheryl Crow, Mike Campbell—if they're good musicians, you'll have a tangy gazpacho.

I see Fleetwood Mac as a mathematically precise recipe (the way baking recipes are precise)—you can't just toss in anything and expect it to gel. I love hollandaise sauce, but I don't want it ladled over my gelato.

The best members in Fleetwood Mac over the years weren't just good musicians—they were the inevitably right musicians for that group. That rightness isn't easy to articulate, but most of us know it when we see it and hear it. Peter, Jeremy, Danny, Mick, and John had an inevitable rightness. They were charismatic, musically inventive, wacky, electrifying—the cultural chinks in the wall. The Rumours 5 at least for a time had its own charisma. Even the Welch+McVie+McVie+Weston+Fleetwood group created a memorable whole out of disparate parts. The recipe in each case worked.
I had to giggle reading this post. With all due respect to Dave Walker, Rick Vito, Bekka Bramlett, and Dave Mason who are fine musicians ... Mike Campbell and Neil Finn are in a whole different musical league than they are.

Mike Campbell is widely considered to be one of the best rock guitarists of all-time. Mike is also a great songwriter having co-written classics such as "Boys of Summer" and many others.

And Neil Finn is widely considered to be one of the best songwriters on the planet having been inducted into the Australian Music Hall of Fame.

Moreover, Campbell and Finn have a long history of being great "team players" elevating their bands to very high levels. They are in a completely different musical stratosphere compared to Walker, Vito, Bramlett, Mason etc.
Old 08-16-2018, 12:01 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post

And Neil Finn is widely considered to be one of the best songwriters on the planet...
Neil Young... maybe.
Neil Diamond... maybe.

I think you got your Neils mixed up.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:19 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I count English Rose and Pious Bird as one album, since there’s an album’s worth of material between the two albums that’s not available on other Fleetwood Mac albums. Given that British and US releases often differed in that era, it’s challenging to come up with definitive lists. I also include Blues Jam Session at Chess and The Original FM. Sure, they were essentially recorded live, but they’re also part of the band’s history and official body of work.

The additional bracket for Danny was Jeremy’s “solo” album, since Mick, John, and Danny were Jeremy’s backing band. Peter was also on the album, but just on one song, which is why I didn’t count it for him.

I appreciate you did that for a bit of fun/interest.
I hope you don't think this could be used as a true barometer for comparing the comparative contributions of the different members. The time spent by Lindsey crafting the honed albums can't be compared to the PG era material. Its true the early incarnation had a massive output over a short period of time but much of the material included covers and was recorded extremely quickly. Even a lot of the original material was relatively quickly written standard blues. Its a hard push to sell the Chicago recordings as a full Fleetwood Mac album; they were largely songs written by the other players and (I might be wrong but...) I don't think all of Fleetwood Mac were present for many/any of the tracks. You could also go as far as to count Tusk twice (and perhaps Say You Will too).

Mick Fleetwood
Old 08-16-2018, 02:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Mouse View Post
And Neil Finn is widely considered to be one of the best songwriters on the planet having been inducted into the Australian Music Hall of Fame.
Sorry, but LOL!
Quote:
Moreover, Campbell and Finn have a long history of being great "team players" elevating their bands to very high levels.
According to his own words, the "teamplayer" Mike Campbell managed to stand next to the dying Tom Petty each night without even realizing his failing health! I wouldn't want someone so unheeding and detached in any team.
Old 08-16-2018, 03:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientQueen View Post
Sorry, but LOL
I am unsure if you were laughing at the fact he was an inductee into the Australian hall of fame or the part about him being one of the better current songwriters?
Surely, not the first one? Laughing about an artists accomplishments is really pretty harsh and unkind, especially when I am sure you are aware of how difficult it is to get into the American based Hall of Fame. I believe AC/DC is the only Australian band/artist to get inducted and there is incredible music that comes out of Australia so it's understandable that you would establish your own to recognise homebred talent.........and for the record I am not Australian.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
According to his own words, the "teamplayer" Mike Campbell managed to stand next to the dying Tom Petty each night without even realizing his failing health! I wouldn't want someone so unheeding and detached in any team.
Wow. This is a really sad (and unnecessarily nasty) comment.

Mick Fleetwood

Last edited by FuzzyPlum; 08-16-2018 at 06:39 AM..
Old 08-16-2018, 06:41 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Sorry, but LOL!

This post is a new low, even for this board. Good God!
Old 08-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
I am unsure if you were laughing at the fact he was an inductee into the Australian hall of fame or the part about him being one of the better current songwriters?
Surely, not the first one? Laughing about an artists accomplishments is really pretty harsh and unkind, especially when I am sure you are aware of how difficult it is to get into the American based Hall of Fame. I believe AC/DC is the only Australian band/artist to get inducted and there is incredible music that comes out of Australia so it's understandable that you would establish your own to recognise homebred talent.........and for the record I am not Australian.
I actually find the fact that Australia has it's own little Hall of Fame quite charming. AFAIK Germany has none and I'm thankful for that. But I find it quite amusing that everything is tried here to make Neil Finn more than he is, that may be a good musician, but nothing more (or less). There is a reason that it is difficult to get into the Hall, it's exclusive and there are alot musicians in western culture that are not in there.