Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Talking Rollingstone.com

OMG!! I was just at Rollingstone.com, and there was an article about Faith Hill being #1 on the charts for this week.

And they mentioned other debuts...

Fleetwood Mac debuted at...#12!!

Here's the link to the article:
http://www.rollingstone.com/news/new....asp?nid=16917

"Oh I let you slip away there was nothing I could do. That was so long ago still I often think of you..."-Lindsey Buckingham

"I didn't come here to be a mother, I didn't come here to be a nun, and I did not come here to be a cleaning lady; I came here to be a poet"-Stevie Nicks
Old 10-23-2002, 03:38 PM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: Rollingstone.com

Wow! It also says that 65,000 copies have already been sold. That's a great debut!
Old 10-23-2002, 04:13 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Question Is it me...

or has Faith Hill started to look like Britney "What's Talent???" Spears???

At least the VBOFM is doing alright sales wise..."Death To SoundScan" Brian J.

"To acknowledge death is to accept freedom and responsibility."

"Fleetwood Mac and its fans remind me of a toilet plunger...keep bringing up old sh*t..."

Last edited by estranged4life; 10-23-2002 at 04:16 PM..
Old 10-23-2002, 04:55 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Only number #12?

I would have thought it would have been a lot higher. It was totally sold out of every Target store in the Providence area on Saturday. I got mine on Tuesday the 15th. My friend waited till Saturday and they were all gone. We went to Barnes and Noble and they did not have it displayed with the new releases. We went to Wal-Mart in Attleboro and they had no clue whatsoever. Not one to be found and they could not even tell me if they had any in stock.

There were a lot of other people looking for the CD too. I really was hoping for a top ten debut.
Old 10-23-2002, 07:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Thumbs up Hey...

I think #12 is pretty dang good for a GREATEST HITS collection from FM!! I mean, #7 in the UK is WOOHOO-inducing, but the UK is smaller than the US...there are more acts here to compete with and stuff. #12 = AWESOME!!

I just hope that the new album debuts at #1!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2002, 07:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

12 is an absolutely phenomenal debut. You need to understand this a double album of all previously released material from a group that is not current by music standards. 1997 is a long time ago in the music world. It is a greatest hits package and double album. This is an extremly high debut for such a release. Remember the UK is a single disc. Probably the record company has a break even point of 75,000-100,000 copies depending on marketing costs. They, I am sure are thrilled and this far exceeds their expectations. Such a debut will only encourage them to put their full force behind their new release.
Old 10-23-2002, 08:14 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I'm still gobsmacked at the #7 debut it got over here.....!
Hardly any promotion, and a pretty pathetic job of a tracklist and no enhanced features..........it must have been a miracle!

Way to go for getting #12 in the U.S. though...not bad at all...!

Old 10-23-2002, 09:26 PM
Ledgie

pluss we all must keepinmind that the average american consumer is all about the exterior not about a musicians actuall talent and Fm doing this well is awesome considering so little promotion I would watch Vh1 like every free minuate I had and I have yet to see the add. wow im so siked good things are yet to come and Im sure VBO will only go up in sales/chart possition the dance hit number #1 5 yrs ago and TISL peaked at #5 a year at a half ago so I think this should at least crack the top 10 in the weeks to come possibly the top 5. lets hope in terms of success things are "all the same....." sorry imm listing to Rhiannon from the live album as im wrighting this

Last edited by blackwidower; 10-23-2002 at 09:28 PM..
Old 10-24-2002, 05:34 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile Re: Rollingstone.com

Quote:
Originally posted by golddustchic
Faith Hill being #1 on the charts for this week.
Well, at least we can look at it this way, Bekka is on 12 of 14 songs from Faith's new album "Cry" so we can say that there is an album with a FM member on it that is at number one right now anyways!

John
Old 10-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Smile I'm not surprised

that Target sold out. That was a very good price last week at $14.88. Target is where I got mine, & I'm usually a loyal K-Mart shopper. (Sorry K-Mart!)

Wal-Mart had it for $24.88 when I checked it out. I couldn't believe that. $10 cheaper at Target!

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprise if this Very Best Of FM went to #1 eventually. I think FM can take on Faith Hill.

Lee
Old 10-24-2002, 11:26 AM
thewhitewingedd
This message has been deleted by thewhitewingedd.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Look-the 12 pos is great. It is delusional to think that it is going to go higher than that. The only time an album by an established artist goes up the charts after its initial release is if there is a signigicant 2nd single or long radio life to album. That won't happen with this album. Its performance is great enjoy the level of sucess it has acheived. I am sure Reprise/WB and the band are....
Old 10-24-2002, 01:25 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile JOHN RUN

I can't speak for anyone else but I personally don't even care how well the VBO album does on the charts. I was mainly just letting people know that Bekka was on Faith's album (since it came to mind while someone mentioned her album here) and I have gone in to more detail about her recent appearances with Faith on TV in the "Post rumours" forum for anyone interested.

I do agree with you that I don't think it will "do much now" in the charts as I think it only charted as highly as it has so far due to the original deluge of fans that ran out to get it the day it was released as naturally such an influx would cause some sort of chart placing and I know that Warner/Reprise/Rhino (whoever!) are thinking more for the "stocking stuffer" crowd and it may stick around on the lower regions of the charts for that reason but will most likely decline after this week.

As I say, I don't really care about "what sells more" and what is a "success" etc. and I will probably get flamed for saying this and I honestly don't mean it in a bad way against Stevie or anything OK? (end of disclaimer) BUT the same thing seemed to happen around TISL when that came out as many fans seemed to think of TISL as a "success because it charted at number (whatever) on the charts". What I think many need to realize is that the same thing happened with TISL as what will most likely happen with the new FM record when it is released next year. It charts originally due to the large sales they get the first week and THEN it drops off the charts so in the end the final sales FIGURES are not that large on an overall basis. Yes, they go platinum but the "gold and platinum" set up is very outdated now due to higher population (therfore more sales regardless...) etc. and in the grand scheme of things "a million copies" is not really that much compared to what it was years ago. Here's an example, from what I understand "Behind the mask" sold roughly 800,000 copies in the US and 2 million woldwide and topped the UK album charts and made number 18 in the US (no doubt in the very beginning) but BTM for the most part is deemed by fans as a commercial "failure", if we go by the "success=chart placing+gold/platinum status" theory, then BTM should be thought of as a "success", so why is it different for any other album? I really don't think much attention should be paid to what the chart placings are, as fans, we like the music and this is the most important thing, an album can still be good if it "doesn't sell". By all means, you should all do what you think is right for you but I just think these kinds of things should be taken in to account before deciding whether an album is a "success" or not and where "importance levels" should be placed on "sales levels". Of course nobody here WANTS to see FM fail but it certainly doesn't "ruin" anything for me if these things aren't a "success". I'm still able to get and hear the music so I'm happy whether anyone else buys a copy of it or not. I love TISL and I'm sure I will love the music on the new FM too when it comes out but I'm not going to even think about "whether it is a success" or not when it comes out and I have no allusions that TISL was (or that the new album will be...) a "hit" as I'm sure it was not really (and that the new FM will probably not be a "success"), figures can be twisted and things can get extrapalated in to what we want to see them to be just as politicians have their spin doctors word their speeches, find stats that "help their cause" etc. but I personally don't give myself false ideas about the success rates of albums. "Making the charts" is one thing, but an album with "staying power" in the charts ("Rumours" is the perfect exanple with it's number one FOR 31 (almost consectutive) WEEKS in the US) is the REAL commercial "success". JMHO though.

I'm glad many of you find tracking the album in the different charts a fun thing to do though, I guess I'm just getting too old too quickly or something! OK that's the end of the ramble, thanks for enduring it and please do know that I'm not "getting" at anybody or anything, I'd just like to think this may have helped someone somewhere as a different view to take on board. See ya round!

John

Last edited by wetcamelfood; 10-24-2002 at 01:35 PM..
Old 10-25-2002, 07:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

John, I agree with a good deal of what you siad. It does seem that many find it far too important for their favorite group to be everyonelse's as well. My point was a debut like this is far above expectations and it will not chart much higher. The last FM double album "live" opened at 14 and went Gold. By comparison "greatest hits" never charted in the top 40 but is the second biggest US seller for Fleetwood Mac with over 8 million units sold.
Old 10-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Smile

Yeah, I agree John Run, I didn't mean YOU were doing this "the album is a success because it charted at (whatever number) on the charts and went gold/platinum" stuff and it may not even be many people on the ledge but I have heard some FM/Stevie fans say these kinds of things somewhere and I would hope they would consider the points we mentioned when considering if it really MATTERS where "(such and such) charts" and "who else/how many others buys it" and so on.

John
Old 10-25-2002, 10:07 AM
Senior Ledgie

Default Re: JOHN RUN

Quote:
Originally posted by wetcamelfood
Of course nobody here WANTS to see FM fail but it certainly doesn't "ruin" anything for me if these things aren't a "success". I'm still able to get and hear the music so I'm happy whether anyone else buys a copy of it or not. I love TISL and I'm sure I will love the music on the new FM too when it comes out but I'm not going to even think about "whether it is a success" or not when it comes out and I have no allusions that TISL was (or that the new album will be...) a "hit" as I'm sure it was not really (and that the new FM will probably not be a "success"), figures can be twisted and things can get extrapalated in to what we want to see them to be just as politicians have their spin doctors word their speeches, find stats that "help their cause" etc. but I personally don't give myself false ideas about the success rates of albums. "Making the charts" is one thing, but an album with "staying power" in the charts ("Rumours" is the perfect exanple with it's number one FOR 31 (almost consectutive) WEEKS in the US) is the REAL commercial "success". JMHO though.
John-

I totally agree, and I do think that most people feel the same way as you do. There's no true measurement for success. You can sell millions of albums (like all those boy bands), but does that equal success? Will they be around as long as Fleetwood Mac? It doesn't matter how many albums are sold. "Respect" is a much better measurement, IMO.

-Karen