Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 04-26-2018, 06:55 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
I have no idea about that quote, and she may well have said that, but that's not why she left FM. She's said numerous times (and Mick acknowledged it) that she left FM because he refused to let her put Silver Springs on her greatest hits album.
I remember that quote too. You have to put it in perspective though. In 1990 the Mac was out of steam. BTM was considered a major flop being the first album to not go platinum since the Nicks era. The band could not even get a single to crack the top 20. Christine was tired of touring. Ticket sales were not great for their 1990 tour. I saw them during the Farewell tour in Pittsburgh in November 1990 and there were about 9,000 people there. The entire upper balcony was empty which was embarrassing when lights hit around the arena. Stevie's management advised her to not even partake in Behind the Mask because they thought it would hurt her solo career. Stevie's klonopin problem was becoming very obvious too. So in the context of everything happening, of course Stevie longed for the good ole days of the Mac. During the final performance of the Farewell tour in Oakland CA where Lindsey played Landslide, Stevie is optimistic and says someday hopefully they can play together again. The band carried on without Lindsey but obviously there was something missing. Something very similar to when Christine left.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 04-26-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Old 04-26-2018, 07:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel75 View Post
Yes, this. She does thrive on conflict. But is so self absorbed and lacks self awareness to realise she lives off having LB in her life....without their chemistry and volitity what does she have in her life at all now?
Exactly, the tension may make them dysfunctional but it also defines their art. Without it...

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:38 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith77 View Post
Exactly, the tension may make them dysfunctional but it also defines their art. Without it...
She can still write and sing about Lindsey even if he's not around. In performance, though... this isn't a solo show. She'll have to find a new way to relate to the other side of the stage. I just hope she doesn't do something feeble like try to sing "Silver Springs" to Neil or go hug Mike Campbell during the "Landslide" guitar solo, as if the men are as interchangeable as Darrin on Bewitched.*

*Or Dumbledore in Harry Potter, in case you don't know who the heck Darrin is.

Last edited by sodascouts; 04-26-2018 at 07:49 AM..
Old 04-26-2018, 07:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
She can still write and sing about Lindsey even if he's not around. In performance, though... this isn't a solo show. She'll have to find a new way to relate to the other side of the stage. I just hope she doesn't do something feeble like try to sing "Silver Springs" to Neil or go hug Mike Campbell during the "Landslide" guitar solo, as if the men are as interchangeable as Darrin on Bewitched.
The SYW set list changed a bit in the early days of the tour, as did OWTS. I would be curious to see how this set list evolves because it’s not resonating with fans. I noticed in the interview yesterday, the rehearsal footage specifically, Christine was practically off the stage in the next room. “If they can’t see me,I am not here”
Old 04-26-2018, 09:09 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I feel also that Lindsey wasn't crazy about going out and playing the same old stuff again. He and Chris made and toured with new music in a short amount of time. I find it all a bit odd that Lindsey wouldn't agree to tour. Everyone, fans included knew the Mac was touring in 2018. Lindsey says in the video that he is pushing back his solo album and doing a best of that he would like to tour with in between Mac shows. I don't know why that would bother Mick and Stevie so much. Let him do it. If it's too much, he'll decide to stop. And Chris's remarks in the Rolling Stone interview where she says she was surprised at Lindsey being gone when I think she came back from England? It's almost like this was a Mick/Stevie decision. I just think there is more to the story and I hope Lindsey does an interview to clarify. I'm really torn about the tour. They come to Pittsburgh Nov. 1st, but I just can't get on board with it.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Ego, it all comes down to ego.

Lindsey doing solo dates between Fleetwood Mac dates was never going to fly. It risked pulling people out of Fleetwood Mac seats and into his show instead. It's disheartening to realize Lindsey thought it would be ok with the rest of the group, it goes to show that I think Lindsey's (and I say this lovingly) assessment of how the rest of the band viewed him and his ability to work with them, must of been quite a bit different than reality. He made very respectful comments about Stevie needing to do her 24k tour and even said, "no harm, no foul in needing to do that". I think he was expecting the courtesy to be returned and it was not. In short, I think he was giving them more credit than they deserved.

Promoters were not going to sign off on a tour with Lindsey playing solo within a neighboring market. It would upset their ability to play secondary markets and milk the cash for every last drop. And no matter how small of a percentage his solo dates would have on Fleetwood Mac ticket sales, we all know Mick is going to side with anybody advising him when it comes to anything remotely financial.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:46 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Not to mention the whole premise would instantly infuriate Stevie. Her big MO has always been using her solo career to solidify her dedication back to Fleetwood Mac and use it as some sort of backwards guilt trip to claim Fleetwood mac is the sword she always has to fall back on. It was her primary means of leverage within the band and for Lindsey to walk in and somehow suggest do both at the same time....fireworks.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

and here's a reminder why this current situation is total bullsh&t:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...d-mac-20121205

This article is in Rolling Stone Dec 5, 2012.

As previously reported, Fleetwood Mac will head out on the road next year for a massive world tour. It turns out the tour was originally scheduled for 2012, but Stevie Nicks decided to take an extra year for her own solo trek. The rest of the group decided to make the best of things and use the time to cut a new album, but that ultimately fell apart, too.

Stevie gets to play fast and loose with the rules-- when she wants to keep doing solo stuff, the band needs to adjust. When Lindsey wants to do solo stuff, tough sh&t, you're fired.

Another bit:

Interviewer: I spoke with Stevie last week. She said she wanted the band to be gone for three years, because anything less would make the tour seem less special.

Lindsey: There might be a little bit of rationalization to that. We had actually planned to tour last year. We hadn't done any routing yet, but there had been a commitment from everyone, and then it got put off. Stevie had done her album and I had done mine as well. Hers came out a bit later and, to be fair, someone is always causing trouble in the band. She would look at me doing these small, solo things where I nurtured myself and brought that back into the band. I don't think she had one of those experiences, whether it was an album or touring behind an album for a while. She needed to have that experience.

It was fair enough for her to want to extend that until she felt it had been played to her satisfaction. There's no judgment on putting the tour off for a year, but it was a surprise to everyone. We had planned on it for a while, and she had planned on it. But things change, and that's a part of Fleetwood Mac. We're a moving target. We're a group of people who, you could make the argument, don't belong in the same band together. It's the synergy of that that makes it work.

Again, he says the band makes plans, Stevie wants to change them even after we were all planning on it, I played nice and said ok fine.

A big part of the rest of the article is about all the dancing around and cajoling they had to do to try and woo Stevie into recording some stuff (this ended up being the EP) .

Why does the band twist itself into knots trying to please Ms. Nicks far more than anyone else in the band? Ka-ching, ka-ching. And she knows it, and isn't afraid to use it. She'll threaten not to record, or not to tour (the card she played during SYW), threaten to go to the media ("How's it going to look when I go to RS and trash this project?" -- I forget which album she pulled that one on) and on and on and on and on.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-26-2018 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: it's hard to type on a tiny screen
Old 04-26-2018, 12:24 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:34 PM
bombaysaffires
This message has been deleted by bombaysaffires.
Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
and here's a reminder why this current situation is total bullsh&t:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...d-mac-20121205

This article is in Rolling Stone Dec 5, 2012.

As previously reported, Fleetwood Mac will head out on the road next year for a massive world tour. It turns out the tour was originally scheduled for 2012, but Stevie Nicks decided to take an extra year for her own solo trek. The rest of the group decided to make the best of things and use the time to cut a new album, but that ultimately fell apart, too.

Stevie gets to play fast and loose with the rules-- when she wants to keep doing solo stuff, the band needs to adjust. When Lindsey wants to do solo stuff, tough sh&t, you're fired.

Another bit:

Interviewer: I spoke with Stevie last week. She said she wanted the band to be gone for three years, because anything less would make the tour seem less special.

Lindsey: There might be a little bit of rationalization to that. We had actually planned to tour last year. We hadn't done any routing yet, but there had been a commitment from everyone, and then it got put off. Stevie had done her album and I had done mine as well. Hers came out a bit later and, to be fair, someone is always causing trouble in the band. She would look at me doing these small, solo things where I nurtured myself and brought that back into the band. I don't think she had one of those experiences, whether it was an album or touring behind an album for a while. She needed to have that experience.

It was fair enough for her to want to extend that until she felt it had been played to her satisfaction. There's no judgment on putting the tour off for a year, but it was a surprise to everyone. We had planned on it for a while, and she had planned on it. But things change, and that's a part of Fleetwood Mac. We're a moving target. We're a group of people who, you could make the argument, don't belong in the same band together. It's the synergy of that that makes it work.

Again, the band makes plans, Stevie wants to change them even after we were all planning on it, I played nice and said ok fine.

A big part of the rest of the article is about all the dancing around and cajoling they had to do to try and woo Stevie into recording some stuff (this ended up being the EP) .

Why does the band twist itself into knots trying to please Ms. Nicks far more than anyone else in the band? Ka-ching, ka-ching. And she knows it, and isn't afraid to use it. She'll threaten not to record, or not to tour (the card she played during SYW), threaten to go to the media ("How's it going to look when I go to RS and trash this project?" -- I forget which album she pulled that one on) and on and on and on and on.
Wow. Just wow. I hope some interviewer finds this and grills them about it. Because Stevie fills arenas she can do whatever she wants. But the guy who actually put the most work into the music doesn't so he gets the boot.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsunwind View Post
Wow. Just wow. I hope some interviewer finds this and grills them about it. Because Stevie fills arenas she can do whatever she wants. But the guy who actually put the most work into the music doesn't so he gets the boot.
If Azoff was the maestro behind this debacle, with mick and Stevie his marionettes, do you think even if the deep recesses of his own mind, is sitting his is office going “Holy F*ck”. Actually that can be said for any of them I guess. I am sure the “band” thought the interview yesterday would have been well received and we can all move on. I mean, flyers showing up in CA???
Old 04-26-2018, 01:36 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Everyone has their own opinion.

1. I think recording with Lindsey was difficult. It came out during Say You Will. She was frustrated by pettiness of him asking her to change her verb tense.

2. He is creative. But what he did to Smile At You was hideous. I for one, was not overly impressed with Buckingham McVie. It did not grow on me.

3. Stevie did not leave the band. The band did not fire her. Thus Buckingham McVie could not be issued under Fleetwood Mac. The majority of the members obviously did not want to throw her out over that.

4. How do we know Stevie is not writing? We know she has a catalogue of songs. She was ok to issue 24 Karat Gold. She has enough for a second volume. Maybe she wants her music preserved to the way she wrote it. Is that really wrong? What are all of your skills? Would you be happy if you thought you did really good work and someone just always wanted to change it?

5. Yes LB helped with In Your Dreams. She asked him to help on Soldier Angel and she was thankful for it.

6. Do you really think Stevie controls the set lists at shows? Her solo shows have been rather diverse. This last one had a lot of old stuff. So maybe there is truth to people thinking that LB did not want to play pre Stevie and Lindsey stuff. Who knows. All speculation.

Kristen said it right. This band is the 5 of them together. That was magic. It was magic to create the music they did from the White Album to Tango in the Night. That is what we love. And we love to hear those songs. And we can always appreciate the music they gave us. And hearing Gold Dust Woman is still going to be great even with Mike Campbell on guitar just as it is when she sings it solo. Yes we lose with the LB penned songs. But we will all survive.

I find people are being unreasonably mean to Stevie with little proof. It's so frustrating. If Christine did not want LB gone, LB would not be gone. I really believe that. It is NOT all Stevie.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post

1. I think recording with Lindsey was difficult. It came out during Say You Will. She was frustrated by pettiness of him asking her to change her verb tense.

But was that really such a big deal? Band mates are never going to agree 100% of the time and its surely fair enough to make suggestions to each other. Such discussions happen all the time in daily life. The normal response is to just disagree, stick to your guns and move on. No big deal.

2. He is creative. But what he did to Smile At You was hideous. I for one, was not overly impressed with Buckingham McVie. It did not grow on me.

She didn't have to go along with Smile At You. She's part of the creative process too. Surely she could step up and say 'I don't like that, can we keep it simple?'
They might then disagree, have a discussion and move on in a different direction.
IMHO Buckingham McVie was great but it would have been even better (and probably fitting last FM album had Stevie been involved. She was the last ingredient that was needed.

3. Stevie did not leave the band. The band did not fire her. Thus Buckingham McVie could not be issued under Fleetwood Mac. The majority of the members obviously did not want to throw her out over that.

They didn't want to, but they should have.
They are a band together.
They wanted to record.
She says 'No'. To me that = resignation.

Just a few observations ^^^^^^^^^^

'Where words fail, music speaks'
Mick Fleetwood
Old 04-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalzaretta View Post

4. How do we know Stevie is not writing? We know she has a catalogue of songs. She was ok to issue 24 Karat Gold. She has enough for a second volume. Maybe she wants her music preserved to the way she wrote it. Is that really wrong? What are all of your skills? Would you be happy if you thought you did really good work and someone just always wanted to change it?

5. Yes LB helped with In Your Dreams. She asked him to help on Soldier Angel and she was thankful for it.

6. Do you really think Stevie controls the set lists at shows? Her solo shows have been rather diverse. This last one had a lot of old stuff. So maybe there is truth to people thinking that LB did not want to play pre Stevie and Lindsey stuff. Who knows. All speculation.

Kristen said it right. This band is the 5 of them together. That was magic. It was magic to create the music they did from the White Album to Tango in the Night. That is what we love. And we love to hear those songs. And we can always appreciate the music they gave us. And hearing Gold Dust Woman is still going to be great even with Mike Campbell on guitar just as it is when she sings it solo. Yes we lose with the LB penned songs. But we will all survive.

I find people are being unreasonably mean to Stevie with little proof. It's so frustrating. If Christine did not want LB gone, LB would not be gone. I really believe that. It is NOT all Stevie.
1. I think recording with Stevie has been difficult. For years she just wanted to show up and party. Getting her to get past gossiping with her entourage and focus was a challenge. She didn't take care of her amazing voice when she had it, instead mucking it up with drugs and cigarettes and booze and not resting properly etc. She just expected that Lindsey would be there to fix it all up with studio magic for her. Changing a verb tense is a crime?? Stevie's songs often could benefit from a good editor, as all great writers have had. You think Hemingway didn't have an editor?? Stevie suffers from the delusion that every raw lyric that comes out of her head is automatic perfection. Perfection takes work, it takes iteration, it takes crafting. She likes to think she produces flawless material. She. does. not. It becomes great with lots of work done by other people FOR her in the studio.

2. I agree they have grown in totally different musical directions; they are not on the same page anymore. The band, including LB, agreed after SYW to bring in an outside producer of her choosing for her material. If she were a better musician, or worked harder at conveying her vision for her songs, it would make everyone's job easier.

3. No, she just used her leverage as a key money draw to get them to acquiesce to what she was wanting to do, knowing full well they would never fire her. After everything-- what the hell would it take for them to fire her?? NOTHING and she knows it. It will always be her choice when she leaves FM.

4. If Stevie is writing, what are her plans for those songs? Let them sit till she dies? If someone is a prolific writer, you'd think they'd want their songs heard.. otherwise, what's the point? She's the one who has said she doesn't want to record new stuff anymore, because it won't make her money. So if new songs won't make her money, and money is her main motivation, why would she be writing new songs? An album of demos everyone has already heard makes sense, because she's likely figuring, " these songs are out there and I didn't get paid for them all these years, so I'm not really losing anything by putting them out again after recording them in a factory in Nashville." There was NO creativity there at all.

5. Stevie bashes Lindsey all the time (some of it deserved I'm sure) but then always, always, always turns to him to bail her out when she is stuck. She sends him demos more than you think to get ideas. Tom Petty even said, "he's the best producer of her material. I've been up all night figuring what to do with one of her songs and then he comes in and says do this or that and I go, oh, duh!" She knows this too and resents it, until she's stuck and then calls him and just expects him to bail her out.

6. For years, no DECADES, Stevie was the one who said over and over and over in interviews that "people don't want to hear new music at shows" and how they tried playing all new stuff on the Rumours tour and it tanked and they wouldn't do it again. So yeah, I think she had a strong opinion that she voiced about set lists. Stand Back was in the set. Do you imagine Lindsey, or John or Chris suggested that? The band has HER backup singers...do we think the band suggested that? She and Mick choreographed the whole fake S&L lovey dovey crap on the last couple tours before Chris returned. Lindsey (for some inexplicable reason) went along. I still hold him accountable for that. So yes, Stevie has a say in the set list.

Of course we will survive. But you miss the point. The magic is in THE FIVE, as you say. So when the songs that were made by THE FIVE are not played by THE FIVE but by stand-in players, it is NOT the same music. The chemistry is NOT there. Lindsey's mark is all over GDW and all the other songs we love. If they had been done by Stevie alone, they would not sound like what we fell in love with. Mike Campbell (whom I love and think is in a really sh%tty position in this) is not Lindsey. So he must either 1) mimic Lindsey's parts on songs, which is rather an insult to his own talents or 2)bring his own take to the songs, which makes them different, and NOT the songs of THE FIVE. Which is then not FM.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 04-26-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 02:08 PM
Addicted Ledgie

[QUOTE=jcalzaretta;1224986]Everyone has their own opinion.

That's YOUR opinion. I think it's really cool what he did to that song.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:16 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storms123 View Post
If Azoff was the maestro behind this debacle, with mick and Stevie his marionettes, do you think even if the deep recesses of his own mind, is sitting his is office going “Holy F*ck”. Actually that can be said for any of them I guess. I am sure the “band” thought the interview yesterday would have been well received and we can all move on. I mean, flyers showing up in CA???
no, not yet. only, maaaaybe, if the tickets don't actually sell. they know talk is cheap, and that we are seen as just a bunch a cranky old farts who don't represent the majority of the ticket-buying public.

and I do think this tour will sell fine. Mike was a clever choice. People are feeling sentimental about Tom. That will play in the mix of people coming to see them. People are already saying, oh, maybe they'll play something from the Heartbreakers (I am willing to bet now they will, they'll have a Stevie/Mike moment in tribute to Tom). People are also wondering / hoping they'll do Don't Dream it's Over.

Not a Mac show to me. But the masses don't pay that much attention or care all that much.