The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Post-Rumours
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Love Shines is classic Chris! I'd definitely put it in my top 5 or 10 FM songs.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Their problem is (not always, but generally) assuming that it has to sound the same way live as it does on the recording. I don't know why they stay locked in that box, especially when you get to albums like SYW that no one has ever heard in the first place. Not like you're going to disappoint a lot of people if you can't successfully recreate the studio version of RTTG.

Michele
Old 12-27-2009, 10:02 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
Their problem is (not always, but generally) assuming that it has to sound the same way live as it does on the recording. I don't know why they stay locked in that box, especially when you get to albums like SYW that no one has ever heard in the first place. Not like you're going to disappoint a lot of people if you can't successfully recreate the studio version of RTTG.

Michele
They used to tour all the time with their live songs sounding different than the records but nowadays it seems like they want to recreate that studio sound much more. I preferred the old way better.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Okay, since this thread is about Billy, I'll post this here. I was perusing one of my favorite country guy's(Chuck Mead is his name, and he was in a Grammy nominated band, called BR5-49) Facebook photos, and came across this picture of him, with Billy Brunette! Chuck's the guy in the white shirt.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Okay, since this thread is about Billy, I'll post this here. I was perusing one of my favorite country guy's(Chuck Mead is his name, and he was in a Grammy nominated band, called BR5-49) Facebook photos, and came across this picture of him, with Billy Brunette! Chuck's the guy in the white shirt.
That makes me want to fly to Nashville for a song.

BR5-49 is one of my favorite bands with a number in its name (the other being Airport 5).

THE Stephen Hopkins
Old 12-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Love Shines is classic Chris! I'd definitely put it in my top 5 or 10 FM songs.
I enjoy it too! Maybe I'm just not used to hearing FM without Stevie harmonies. I would not put Love Shines in my top 10 FM but probably my top 10 Chris, somewhere around the song Behind The Mask.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:05 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
I believe they both had left. Maybe it's an alheimer's moment, but I think there's video of Love Shines, somewhere, and it's Chris, Billy, Mick, and John, in it. I've not seen it for years though, so I could be mistaken!
Love Shines video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B81ao6Ffcc
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've always been confused about when these songs were recorded: Love Shines, Heart of Stone, Paper Doll and Make Me A Mask. Especially Lindsey's song because he was gone from FM in 1987 and these songs came out in 1991. Also Stevie had quit the band the year before, so what gives?

BTW, these four songs are incredible! If you haven't heard them I'd suggest you find them asap and see what you've been missing all these years!!!
Old 12-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Speak for yourself.

The same thing was said when Peter Green left the band. And y'all would've never gotten your twirling ditz queen, had the public taken the view you're putting forward.

While I don't care for Dave Mason, the Time band SHOULD HAVE completely revamped FM, from the ground up. Really pushed Billy and Bekka's songs, reinvented itself, as they had, so many times before.

Do you mean Peter or Stevie ?!!!!!!!!

heheeheehee
Old 12-28-2009, 10:27 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Why do fans of Green's always relegate to taking cheap shots at Stevie Nicks when others voice their opinions of the band without her? Nicks fans don't hit below the belt calling Green a washed up, ape****-crazy, cheesy-haired flash in the pan . His music may not be our personal taste... but we don't degrade the man personally. Nobody was even talking about Peter Green for God's sake... we're in the POST Rumours forum discussing Billy freaking Burnette! We get it... there are a small contingency of guys here who think Stevie was the WORST thing to ever happen to the band. But concert ticket sales will tell you otherwise... they are up sharply when she's with the band, and completely fall off a cliff when she's not. The same could probably have been said about the Green era. He was the original Fleetwood Mac's star. There were a huge chunk of fans who didn't give a **** about the band when he left too. That's the reality of the fickle record and concert ticket buying public... they've gotta have a star to latch on to.

The (unpleasant to some) reality is, by '95 the image of FM was cemented... and it's face was Stevie Nicks. Any deviation from that wouldn't be accepted by the general public. The same could be said of '70 Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green. I honestly have no idea how 5 years later the band was able to rise to fame again and totally reinvent itself. You would have thought the band's legacy would have been cemented at that point as well. Perhaps it was because the success of the Peter Green era was so short lived... and the subsequent bands were pretty obscure and anonymous (before I am jumped on for this, I ADORE Bob Welch, and think he was one of the best things to ever happen to our band). Come '95 though, I think the band was out of reinventions. The Rumours era fame was huge... eclipsing any other lineups before or after it. The general public just wouldn't swallow any other form of the band after that. That may be good, that may be bad, but that's the way it is!
I was wondering that, too. Why compare apples and oranges?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Addicted Ledgie

As per Homer's reference to a "ditz queen"....

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerj View Post
Do you mean Peter or Stevie ?!!!!!!!!
I truly think each and every member of FM could qualify for that label at one time or another....except possibly John.

Thanks for the "Love Shines" video -- that's a lovely slice of of CM sweetness.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post
I've always been confused about when these songs were recorded: Love Shines, Heart of Stone, Paper Doll and Make Me A Mask. Especially Lindsey's song because he was gone from FM in 1987 and these songs came out in 1991. Also Stevie had quit the band the year before, so what gives?

BTW, these four songs are incredible! If you haven't heard them I'd suggest you find them asap and see what you've been missing all these years!!!
Well, the Peter Lewry book says that Make Me a Mask was recorded earlier with Mirage, but I think David is right that that book cannot be trusted. In 1993 Lindsey said:

Quote:
I recorded 'Make Me a Mask' during the sessions for 'Cradle.' It really didn't fit on the rest of my album, so I gave it to the anthology.
Of course, the question is when did Lindsey write it? Sounds like Tango more than OOTC or anything else.

Michele
Old 12-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

OK, my two cents....!

First off, I don't think Stevie had a problem with Billy....I think she just connected with Rick more, while Christine seemed to have more of an artistic connection with Billy.

Second, I have ALWAYS hated that statement that it took two guitarists to replace Lindsey, particularly when it came from Lindsey....the height of arrogance in my opinion! The band wanted to try something new....and it worked!

BEHIND THE MASK was a good album that could have been better. Greg Laydani was the wrong producer...too slick. They needed someone edgier, like Scott Litt, who was originally planned.

The BTM line-up packed it in too soon.....they believed the bad press. I think they would have REALLY gotten their chops together on a second album.

Finally, I don't think there was any chance for the TIME line-up.....Christine didn't want anything to do with Dave (or really the band at that time), Dave was all wrong for the group, John & Mick were just going thru the motions, and Billy & Bekka just weren't strong enough to front the band.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivfox View Post

"Paper Doll" and, especially, "Heart Of Stone" should have been HUGE hits!!!
Old 12-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fannymac View Post
BEHIND THE MASK was a good album that could have been better. Greg Laydani was the wrong producer...too slick. They needed someone edgier, like Scott Litt, who was originally planned.
TOTALL agree. Hell, I would've rather had Richard Dashut back at the helm, but I guess he was too busy with Lindsey. Patrick Leonard, who produced Love Shines and Heart of Stone for the box set would've been better, too.
Quote:
Finally, I don't think there was any chance for the TIME line-up.....Christine didn't want anything to do with Dave (or really the band at that time), Dave was all wrong for the group, John & Mick were just going thru the motions, and Billy & Bekka just weren't strong enough to front the band.
I disagree somewhat with the last statement. I agree it didn't stand a chance, but it had nothing to do with band personnel. At the time, Dave made perfect sense, considering the ties he, Billy, and obviously Bekka had with Delaney & Bonnie. However, I agree that as time went on, he became increasingly irrelevant to the band. I think had Bekka and Billy been given creative reign over the band (which happened when everybody else joined), it could've worked. I doubt it would've been commercially successful by Fleetwood Mac standards, but I think it could've been more interesting than what we got. Ultimately, though, it didn't stand a shot because Lindsey was back in the picture by that point, trying to get the Big Mac back together (he says otherwise, but c'mon).

THE Stephen Hopkins