Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 06-05-2002, 10:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Walter Egan's Apocalypso release date 7/02/02

Reviews
All Music Guide
Apocalypso Now is Walter Egan's eighth solo album, though fans can be forgiven for missing out on his sixth, Lost Album (aka Mad Dog Album), recorded in the 1980s but not released until 2000, and seventh, Walternative, released in 1999, and supposing that he has been inactive as a solo artist since the release of Wild Exhibitions on MCA in 1983. Essentially a one-hit wonder, Egan gained his greatest exposure in the late '70s largely through his association with members of the then-white-hot Fleetwood Mac, who produced and appeared on his records. His one major hit, 1978's "Magnet and Steel," featured backing vocals by the group's Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. Nearly a quarter-century since his heyday, he is living in Nashville, and Apocalypso Now is one of the first releases on the independent Gaff Music label. The journeyman rocker, whose career dates back to the 1960s, picks up where he left off; Apocalypso Now contains the kind of sophisticated pop/rock typical of the late '70s. "Only Love Is Left Alive," for example, sounds like it could have been an outtake from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours. And Egan harks back even further: "The Reason Why" recalls the Byrds, circa 1966, and an untitled hidden track at the end is a '50s-style rockabilly number. This is music more of style than content (though the lyrics are full of references to regret and the passage of time), and what's missing is the kind of expensive studio sound Egan's '70s peers used to revel in. Instead, the album sounds like a demo for the kind of records he used to make. Nevertheless, anyone who feels that pop music took a wrong turn in the early '80s and longs for the glory days of '70s Southern California rock should feel right at home. William Ruhlmann
Old 06-05-2002, 03:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Very nice things were said about Stevie and Lindsey, so I really liked reading this despite the fact that it was a lukewarm review for Walter!

Most of us around here LIKE demos, anyway. I may have to check this out!

Thanks!

-Sharon
Old 06-06-2002, 09:37 AM
Senior Ledgie

I've been listening to Walter Egan for about 10 years or so, since i first became aware of his music (other than "Magnet & Steel"). In '99, Walter released his first studio record since the mid 80's, and it was truly great, though few people heard it. I'm looking forward to hearing his new one, interestingly titled "apocalypso now".
Walter's music has always been great. Its a true disservice to his music that he is constantly linked to FM, even though he was recording way before he met them, working with the likes of Jackson Browne and Linda Ronstadt, and is capable of writing very melodic tunes. he also wrote "hearts on fire", which was covered by Gram Parsons (the true founder of country rock) for his Grievous Angel album.