The Ledge

Go Back   The Ledge > Main Forums > Stevie Nicks
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 03-11-2017, 07:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

As much as I love Stevie and I have been a fan since 1975, it frustrates me that she only wants to tour with FM. She complained about missing Christine, and now she is back. The whole band would love to record, but not Stevie. Fine, then quit the group. If you are staying to make money for John and Mick, don't. They have been in the business forever. They should have lots of money. Mick could never manage money, but seems to be doing better now with his restaurant in Hawaii.

And if you hate Lindsey so much, then quit flirting on stage. I don't want to see a fake romance.

I have changed, but you remain ageless
Old 03-11-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
The guy who is doing the Feud series on FX.( the current one about Davis and Crawford is great) Should do a season about Lindsey and Stevie.
Ryan Murphy. I've seen the pilot and I found it awesome, I hope Susan Sarandon will become a staple in his works. Also I've seen next season will be centered around Charles and Diana.
I'm not sure about how it would work a season about Lindsey and Stevie, even if Stevie is friends with Murphy I doubt she'd be collaborative and it could turn out very imprecise; Murphy likes to base himself on big reliable biographies for his last series (Feud and American Crime Story), and there still isn't such a book for Stevie or Lindsey. Unless he doesn't use one of Mick's books, then it could come out something more collective like Feud: Fleetwood Mac. I guess we found a good compromise instead of a FM biopic...
Old 03-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret love View Post
Well given I HAVE been a mental patient in hospital, I have zero empathy as I own my illness, take my meds and see my Doctor and listen to her advice even if I don't always agree
Not to be critical of your experience, secretlove, but I think Stevie's point in the interview was if she had listened to her doctor, she would have ended up dead. Clearly, Stevie was right to quit seeing him!

I work in mental health, and I know Klonopin can be a helpful and effective med; like any meds, however, there are side effects and a chance for addiction.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:57 AM

Probably Stevie says holidays are hard because she's at that point in life in which she has lost both of her parents and also she's lost her mother exactly during the Christmas period just a few years ago.
I also lost many relatives and a few years ago my sister was hospitalized in the Christmas period for very severe reasons, and I honestly say that while Christmas is still Christmas, it's always very bittersweet to me because of the memories. There are things that you can move on from but you don't and can't forget.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=dreamsunwind;1202914]Well, idk, if my doctor prescribed me something, I'd usually take it because I typically trust my doctor to give me what's best for me, /QUOTE]

speaking from personal experience ( not a secret there is a tread in Chit Chat ) myself and others here would advise you to rethink that

and she has the right to be pi$$ed about that she was taken advantaged of by a medical professional ,and over prescribed medication .. which is a serious issue in the united states , and until you have had that experience you( anyone in general not you personally ) can not comprehend it , that someone you trusted to Help Manage your Heath betrayed you for personal and or monetary gains
Old 03-11-2017, 09:37 AM
olive
This message has been deleted by olive. Reason: double posted opps
Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwboy View Post
Not to be critical of your experience, secretlove, but I think Stevie's point in the interview was if she had listened to her doctor, she would have ended up dead. Clearly, Stevie was right to quit seeing him!

I work in mental health, and I know Klonopin can be a helpful and effective med; like any meds, however, there are side effects and a chance for addiction.
I'm in the mental field myself and I agree with you, I am slightly shocked at some comments here.
The relationship between therapist and patient isn't equal, from the moment you start seeing a therapist you put yourself in his or her care and the doctor has an ethical duty towards your treatment. The therapeutic relationship requires trust on one part and competence on the other, and the therapist has on the patient a strong psychological authority because he or she is supposed to be the "expert" and carer, and not many of us would be able to break it. Those who say that it's Stevie's fault that she took the meds he prescribed her, are ignorantly wrong.
Personally I think the doctor Stevie was seeing was one of those psychiatrists who rely too much on meds instead of a wholesome comprensive therapy, there are sadly many of them especially in the US where it's more spread a conception of mental illness that is more fisiological than psicodinamic.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless child View Post
As much as I love Stevie and I have been a fan since 1975, it frustrates me that she only wants to tour with FM. She complained about missing Christine, and now she is back. The whole band would love to record, but not Stevie. Fine, then quit the group. If you are staying to make money for John and Mick, don't. They have been in the business forever. They should have lots of money. Mick could never manage money, but seems to be doing better now with his restaurant in Hawaii.

And if you hate Lindsey so much, then quit flirting on stage. I don't want to see a fake romance.
You hit the nail on the head!
Exactly
end of story
bottom line
Period
Next question

I would only add that if you think making new music with today's music industry is fruitless then stop making solo albums.

I do feel bad about the Klonopin era. I believe her that her friends and managers talked her into seeing the doctor. They had good reasons for how scary and out of control she was. However, at some point you need to take responsibility for your own actions. Its impossible for me to believe after years on klonopin and becoming a zombie those closest around did not persuade her to seek help. This is never talked about. Once someone asked Rick Vito and he refused to comment. It was only after she fell over and cracked her head into a fireplace that this "come to God" moment came to her and her friends that she get off this drug.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-11-2017 at 10:57 AM..
Old 03-11-2017, 11:17 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I agree with olive and sisternightroad. I also think we need to remember some doctors seem to enjoy their power over celebrities. Just look at Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson, for starters. I think Stevie sees herself as an advocate against Klonopin, and I wouldn't blame her, after her experience. However, I would blame her doctor more than the medication, in her case. Frightening.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
I do feel bad about the Klonopin era. I believe her that her friends and managers talked her into seeing the doctor. They had good reasons for how scary and out of control she was. However, at some point you need to take responsibility for your own actions. Its impossible for me to believe after years on klonopin and becoming a zombie those closest around did not persuade her to seek help. This is never talked about. Once someone asked Rick Vito and he refused to comment. It was only after she fell over and cracked her head into a fireplace that this "come to God" moment came to her and her friends that she get off this drug.
Probably for the same reasons no one intervened when she was doing cocaine *ahem*. The problem in this case is, it sounds like Stevie was taking the Klonopin as prescribed, but her doctor had her over medicated, so she wasn't actually misusing them. In other words, she wasn't getting them off the street, stealing from others, doctor shopping, etc. Her family and friends surely thought the doctor was legitimate and who are they to say a doctor is wrong? Also, they could have thought Stevie was depressed, not over medicated. The old adage is true, a person has to acknowledge there's a problem first before they can get any help.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Having several addicts in my own family, I can say that the fault lies with the doctors and pharmacists, but mostly with the addict. The addict MUST want to get clean for themselves, otherwise any rehab efforts are fruitless.
I'm just glad Stevie chose to get clean.

Jamie
Old 03-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Probably for the same reasons no one intervened when she was doing cocaine *ahem*. The problem in this case is, it sounds like Stevie was taking the Klonopin as prescribed, but her doctor had her over medicated, so she wasn't actually misusing them. In other words, she wasn't getting them off the street, stealing from others, doctor shopping, etc. Her family and friends surely thought the doctor was legitimate and who are they to say a doctor is wrong? Also, they could have thought Stevie was depressed, not over medicated. The old adage is true, a person has to acknowledge there's a problem first before they can get any help.
Stevie felt "forced" to go into rehab for cocaine addiction. She tells a different story today but I remember the headlines from 1986 and 1987. After the RAL tour her management company pretty much did force her to go into rehab. Of course anyone that cared for her also agreed.
The following facts sometimes get forgotten:
Stevie left the Betty Ford clinic early. She did not stay 30 days and after 28 days left early and called the place "really stupid"
Stevie was so upset with her management company that the first thing she did leaving rehab was to fire her management company.
In the song "Welcome to the Room Sara" She mentions both of these things.
"Did I come here on my own" - She is questioning herself being there and it was not her decision
"Of course it was a problem - Frontline" Referring to Frontline management who got her into rehab
Her experience was so bad that she named another song "Escape from Berlin" - she hints that she "escaped" and left before the treatment ended. Another line "I did not win or lose, I just threw the cards" - implies like a spoiled child at a game, she threw the cards and left early.
So I would have to disagree with your point that no one intervened with Stevie's addiction. To the contrary so many intervened that she got pissed. Maybe that is why people did not intervene again. They feared her wrath. But with the condition she was in, I am shocked. that many did not beg her to get clean. Addicts are confronted so many times before agreeing to get help. Its also very common for addicts to replace one drug for another. Maybe if she would not have "escaped" from rehab and stayed longer she would have picked up a few more valuable lessons in life.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 03-11-2017 at 01:56 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 02:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I actually agree with pretty much everything you said, at least in general. I didn't know she had left rehab early, but it does sound like she's been off cocaine since then, regardless. As far as intervening, that was my poor attempt to suggest that maybe friends or family in her life didn't call her out about her cocaine use because they were likely doing it right along with her, just perhaps not to the degree she was. Could you imagine Judy Garland accusing Elvis Presley of being an addict, for example?

As far as Stevie's feelings about the way the actual intervention was handled, I think it's understandable. Frontline's intervention took place after her tour, not before or during. Why? They wanted the income from that tour first! If her health and well being had truly been first and foremost on their minds, they would have done an intervention sooner, and I'm sure Stevie thinks that, too. Yes, an intervention was needed, and it did work, but I can see why Stevie fired Frontline for the way they handled it.

And I'm sure Stevie hated rehab. I've never met anyone who claimed to enjoy it. But I've read other interviews where she said it helped her get off cocaine, which is the most positive thing one can say about rehab.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

MacFan, I also loved reading your interpretation of "Doing the Best I Can." I always took that line about throwing the cards as giving up and just going through the motions, which is slightly different from your take. But I see what you mean and that makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:44 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Frontline management was the same company that caused such an issue with the David Letterman show on NBC. And nobody there would admit to doing so. Bottom line, Stevie fired them, and stayed off the coke and became productive and all was good. We were not there. No reason to speculate what she went through or dealt with as she kicked cocaine and eventually kicked Klonopin.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
I actually agree with pretty much everything you said, at least in general. I didn't know she had left rehab early, but it does sound like she's been off cocaine since then, regardless. As far as intervening, that was my poor attempt to suggest that maybe friends or family in her life didn't call her out about her cocaine use because they were likely doing it right along with her, just perhaps not to the degree she was. Could you imagine Judy Garland accusing Elvis Presley of being an addict, for example?

As far as Stevie's feelings about the way the actual intervention was handled, I think it's understandable. Frontline's intervention took place after her tour, not before or during. Why? They wanted the income from that tour first! If her health and well being had truly been first and foremost on their minds, they would have done an intervention sooner, and I'm sure Stevie thinks that, too. Yes, an intervention was needed, and it did work, but I can see why Stevie fired Frontline for the way they handled it.

And I'm sure Stevie hated rehab. I've never met anyone who claimed to enjoy it. But I've read other interviews where she said it helped her get off cocaine, which is the most positive thing one can say about rehab.
actually the way she always tells it is that she went to the dr about her nose and he told her about the hole and that "the next time you do coke that could be the end" and she says "I had to go on tour knowing that. But you can't quit before a big tour so I had to go out on the road and be as careful as I could" while still doing coke before going to rehab...

She also has said forever that she hates being told what to do (and even says that's why her mother always told her she would need to be the boss whatever work she did) and Frontline , in her eyes, pushed her into rehab. And she hated the idea that it wasn't her choice; they did an intervention. She takes all the credit for it now, but......had they not, she wouldn't have been able to stop she was too addicted. Petty states that he worried about her a lot and that if he'd gotten the call that said she was dead he would honestly not have been surprised.