Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Albert Ross again....

Hello from Italy.

hope you enjoyed your Christmas.....

Here Peter plays it to perfection, wonderful!

Wheh he plays the Epiphone Les Paul Gold Top 1956 Reissue, his sound
has MUCH of the F/Mac days....

Cheers,

Mario.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyoLxdNHzqQ
Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Albert Ross....hovering

Thank you for noticing this, Mario. There are so many oploads on Youtube from these concerts now, some very bad and some very good, so when there are some good ones it's great when they are shared here on The Ledge.

Yes PG is really "present" in this one. Look at his face around 2:51. He seems really pleased with it himself, and he should be! (He would probably never admit it).

I have been wondering about the band.... I remember reading an interview with either Cozy Powell or Neil Murrey from the "first" Splintergroup, where he said that PG was very vegetative and that this had consequenses for him (Powell or Murray)staying on in the band at the time. He also says that he has never worked with anyone like PG, who had this "blues sensibility"....

This Friendly Band seems attuned to him in a different way, so I wonder if he has changed and are able now to show more initiative in the working out the arrangements and so on?

Ms Moose
Old 12-28-2009, 07:57 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
Thank you for noticing this, Mario. There are so many oploads on Youtube from these concerts now, some very bad and some very good, so when there are some good ones it's great when they are shared here on The Ledge.

Yes PG is really "present" in this one. Look at his face around 2:51. He seems really pleased with it himself, and he should be! (He would probably never admit it).

I have been wondering about the band.... I remember reading an interview with either Cozy Powell or Neil Murrey from the "first" Splintergroup, where he said that PG was very vegetative and that this had consequenses for him (Powell or Murray)staying on in the band at the time. He also says that he has never worked with anyone like PG, who had this "blues sensibility"....

This Friendly Band seems attuned to him in a different way, so I wonder if he has changed and are able now to show more initiative in the working out the arrangements and so on?

Ms Moose
Well, I think it is fair to say that in the Splinter Group years - but the first one - Peter was just like a prisoner, a sort of robot. He never had the kind of freedom he now has with the Friends and the 2009 version of Albatross just proves this....

This isn't the big deal Splinter Group's leader was searchin' for.... the smaller is the band, the better is for Peter, I'm pretty sure.

Mario.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Listen/watch the Splinter Group versions of "Albatross". There's a certain lick Peter played in FM that is missing. With Mike Dodd's band, the lick is back in it's original form. The Splinter Group DVD version is a joke (clip from Youtube). Nigel Watson is doing all the heavy lifting while Peter looks like he's out to lunch. Green only adds background guitar licks to HIS song!!

I hate to overreach, but I think if Mick wanted that reunion for one night, it could happen today, compared to 2/09. You can see it in his eyes, he's alert!
Old 12-31-2009, 01:22 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
.....I hate to overreach, but I think if Mick wanted that reunion for one night, it could happen today, compared to 2/09....
if pete wanted a reunion it could happen! these new versions of albatross on youtube might be better than mac reunion recreating the hits. what about pg&f live with some guests, soloists, and augments... john mayall? a horn section, joe? snowy white?

mario's link was a huge surprise. what a great version. is it my imagination or are peter's solos getting more variable? comparing some of these 'trosses, he doesn't follow the recorded version or play it the same way twice. same is true of the stumble, oh pretty woman... z
Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
if pete wanted a reunion it could happen! these new versions of albatross on youtube might be better than mac reunion recreating the hits. what about pg&f live with some guests, soloists, and augments... john mayall? a horn section, joe? snowy white?

mario's link was a huge surprise. what a great version. is it my imagination or are peter's solos getting more variable? comparing some of these 'trosses, he doesn't follow the recorded version or play it the same way twice. same is true of the stumble, oh pretty woman... z
I do feel that the smaller is the band, the better is for Peter....

This is what I mean talking about freedom...Peter never had that kind of freedom while he was playing in the Splinter Group....

Call it reflected glory....after a couple of years Mr.NW started believing he was Peter Green!!

Happy 2010!

Mario.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Who the hell is this Albert Ross...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipkid View Post
Listen/watch the Splinter Group versions of "Albatross". There's a certain lick Peter played in FM that is missing. With Mike Dodd's band, the lick is back in it's original form. The Splinter Group DVD version is a joke (clip from Youtube). Nigel Watson is doing all the heavy lifting while Peter looks like he's out to lunch. Green only adds background guitar licks to HIS song!!

I hate to overreach, but I think if Mick wanted that reunion for one night, it could happen today, compared to 2/09. You can see it in his eyes, he's alert!
OMG - I have now compared this recent clip with the Splintergroup one, and it is almost painful to watch! Yes, there is a certain lick that is back in the Hellendoorn version, but also I think that it has the "fat fudgy" sound (I only have thís metaphor for it) of the old Les Paul (or rather the combination of PG and the LP).
I agree with mzero. I don't believe in a FM reunion. They are too far apart in every way, and Peter is not very consistent in his playing - a "a trait" since 1970? And I don't think PG is able to play if he doesn't feel safe or well (as Mario also implies with "the smaller the band the better it is for Peter...").

Mario I think that NW - like a lot of people - was sad at what PG's illness did to him and wanted PG to be the way he remembered him way back, and that he - in vain - tried to press him into that mould, which of course was doomed from the start. He genuinely wanted to help Peter in 1995, but things got out of hand with growing ambition. It would be nice to get a sober and objective account of the years in Splintergroup and what happened after. How did he recover from it? What is it that works with Mike Dodd? (Mike Dodd was a researcher on the Man of the World DVD). Maybe we will get this if there is a follow up on the biography (Hello there, are you reading this, Martin Celmins?")

I just noticed: I am addicted - probably have been for months without noticing it!

And of course: HAPPY NEW YEAR - Y'ALL!!!

Ms Moose
Old 01-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Ledgie

'Dark End Of The Street' at the same venue/date..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yfDk9Hv_wI&NR=1
Old 01-02-2010, 03:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Moose View Post
OMG - I have now compared this recent clip with the Splintergroup one, and it is almost painful to watch! Yes, there is a certain lick that is back in the Hellendoorn version, but also I think that it has the "fat fudgy" sound (I only have thís metaphor for it) of the old Les Paul (or rather the combination of PG and the LP).
I agree with mzero. I don't believe in a FM reunion. They are too far apart in every way, and Peter is not very consistent in his playing - a "a trait" since 1970? And I don't think PG is able to play if he doesn't feel safe or well (as Mario also implies with "the smaller the band the better it is for Peter...").

Mario I think that NW - like a lot of people - was sad at what PG's illness did to him and wanted PG to be the way he remembered him way back, and that he - in vain - tried to press him into that mould, which of course was doomed from the start. He genuinely wanted to help Peter in 1995, but things got out of hand with growing ambition. It would be nice to get a sober and objective account of the years in Splintergroup and what happened after. How did he recover from it? What is it that works with Mike Dodd? (Mike Dodd was a researcher on the Man of the World DVD). Maybe we will get this if there is a follow up on the biography (Hello there, are you reading this, Martin Celmins?")

I just noticed: I am addicted - probably have been for months without noticing it!

And of course: HAPPY NEW YEAR - Y'ALL!!!

Ms Moose
Ms.Moose: what is it that works with Mike Dodd? Well, they have a real friendship...that with NW was an ill one......Peter was like a prisoner.....

Mario.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:31 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
Ms.Moose: what is it that works with Mike Dodd? Well, they have a real friendship...that with NW was an ill one......Peter was like a prisoner.....

Mario.
How do you mean "that with NW was an ill one"? The friendship was ill? The SG relationship was ill? PG was ill? NW was ambitious and took advantage of an ill PG?
Old 01-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by librax2 View Post
How do you mean "that with NW was an ill one"? The friendship was ill? The SG relationship was ill? PG was ill? NW was ambitious and took advantage of an ill PG?
What I mean is that the friendship was ill....
The only happy time for Peter with the SG was the first year 1996, later things got worse.....

When Nigel started having problems with his sister Mitch, this caused Peter a lot of anxiety....
That was the beginning of the end of the SG.....

Somebody recently posted a clip of Peter and Nigel doing an interview: this shows once again what a very
unstable relationship and unhealthy friendship they had. In the interview at the end Peter is
already suggesting that Splinter Group will not go on forever - in other words he is threatening NW.

I would like to think that things are much better now....

Mario.

Last edited by Mario; 01-02-2010 at 05:49 PM..
Old 01-12-2010, 08:43 PM
Junior Ledgie

Hi Mario,

I'm still confused when you say that PG was a "prisoner" in SG. The line that everyone was given years ago, and what we all were led to believe, was that Nigel and Mich were looking out for Peter's health, and not letting him get into something he couldn't handle or didn't want to do with the band. Maybe I'm missing something everyone else here knows, but the shows I saw, he seemed to be getting more and more assertive in his playing. Was NW steamrolling him that much?

I haven't seen him in his new band yet, but I'm hearing all the same things people said 15 years ago -- that now he has great people to play with, he's improving tremendously, it's all good for him, his health is great, etc. I would feel terrible supporting it if I discovered that it was yet another doomed PG project that would do him more harm than good.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpeabody View Post
Hi Mario,

I'm still confused when you say that PG was a "prisoner" in SG. The line that everyone was given years ago, and what we all were led to believe, was that Nigel and Mich were looking out for Peter's health, and not letting him get into something he couldn't handle or didn't want to do with the band. Maybe I'm missing something everyone else here knows, but the shows I saw, he seemed to be getting more and more assertive in his playing. Was NW steamrolling him that much?

I haven't seen him in his new band yet, but I'm hearing all the same things people said 15 years ago -- that now he has great people to play with, he's improving tremendously, it's all good for him, his health is great, etc. I would feel terrible supporting it if I discovered that it was yet another doomed PG project that would do him more harm than good.
Of course, I could be wrong, but I would like to think that this time it's really different...!
Old 01-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpeabody View Post
Hi Mario,

Pretty much what I was about to post (good thing I read through the thread).

From album to album during the Splinter Group era, Peter seemed to be getting stronger and more assertive. Whatever happened between Nigel & Mich seemed to signal the end of the PGSG moreso than Peter's state-of-mind. I must've been extremely lucky, since the four times I saw them, Peter seemed very "there" and "up" every time. Not once during any of those shows I was at did Peter seem to "go away". His playing sometimes subdued, was always creative and expressive.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the PGSG from beginning to its much too soon and surprising end.

The recent clips of Peter Green & Friends do make me smile, hearing Peter playing so well and seeming very relaxed while on stage. A studio album in the works? (hopefully!)

Last edited by chiliD; 01-13-2010 at 01:50 PM..
Old 01-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
Pretty much what I was about to post (good thing I read through the thread).

From album to album during the Splinter Group era, Peter seemed to be getting stronger and more assertive. Whatever happened between Nigel & Mich seemed to signal the end of the PGSG moreso than Peter's state-of-mind. I must've been extremely lucky, since the four times I saw them, Peter seemed very "there" and "up" every time. Not once during any of those shows I was at did Peter seem to "go away". His playing sometimes subdued, was always creative and expressive.

That said, I thoroughly enjoyed the PGSG from beginning to its much too soon and surprising end.

The recent clips of Peter Green & Friends do make me smile, hearing Peter playing so well and seeming very relaxed while on stage. A studio album in the works? (hopefully!)
I take your point, chiliD!

As for the studio album, I know they did some recordings with Pete Brown as producer, but nothing more really....

Mario.