User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
My 1969-1974 Box set arrived late last night. This weekend I get to dive into it. I cant wait to hear all the extras. I used to have the 1974 concert on cassette in the mid 80s. I am excited to hear it on Bose CD. Although I may cry during Why.
Just looking at what this box set offers is incredible let alone hearing it. What a great gift idea to any Mac fan. The price was insane. I paid about $6 per CD. Some of these really early albums I never owned. I think my original collection started with Bare Trees. I also think its about time I get Behind The Mask on CD. That album Christine shines. But then again she shined on any album. We say this all the time but she never recorded a bad song. Songs like Ricky or One More Lonely Night are here weakest and they are still great songs. I dont think there is another artist besides maybe Bruce or Billy Joel or Rolling Stones or Led Zepplin can you say that.
I cant even being to imagine how Come A Little Bit Closer is going to sound on my Bose system. OMG

There isn’t a week that goes by where I don’t pop one of these discs in rotation. All of her pre 1975 songs are masterpieces!
Old 12-03-2022, 08:30 AM
Addicted Ledgie

The 69-74 boxset is a superb remastering and sounds you never thought were there, pop out at you. The rocking live Homeward Bound is Christine at her hardest rocking best and vocally she is spot on. Everything on there is a treat and I agree, all of her songs from the period are masterpieces that were overshadowed by her equally great later work.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:32 AM
Senior Ledgie

I've been listening and humming along to the acoustic version of "Friend", "Everywhere", and "Love Shines". The ITMT version of "Friend" never really grew on me, but the acoustic version? Perfect.
Old 12-03-2022, 09:36 AM
Addicted Ledgie

I've been playing my Christine playlist dayly (solo+Mac) while doing things at home, but tonight (as usual on weekends) I'll dinner (+wine) with my partner and watch a selection of the best Christine songs, specially live. I'll try not to cry
Old 12-03-2022, 10:54 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Currently listening to this chestnut that just became available. From Christine’s solo tour Columbus OH 5.8.84. A couple audio glitches but sounds so good. Scroll down to ChristineMcVieBand to download or listen to mp3.

http://tela.sugarmegs.org/latestadditions.aspx

It’s currently #9 on new additions list and can be found doing a search for Christine McVie thereafter.
Old 12-03-2022, 05:30 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I made a big old playlist and put it on my iPod (yes I still have one of those) - 14 hours of nothing but Christine from Chicken Shack all the way to Buckingham McVie. Live stuff too. (DownOnRodeo, I listened to our version of Why as well!)

I also wore a Fleetwood Mac shirt to work on Thursday under my blazer. An older colleague spotted it and asked me if I'd "earned" it, presumably wondering if I was like those kids who wear Nirvana T-shirts but don't actually listen to the band. I assured her I was indeed a fan (little does she know), then realized that this colleague wasn't aware that Christine had passed away... I broke the news. It was a rather awkward moment.

At any rate, I'll be listening to the playlist for a while, I imagine. For me, it helps.

Last edited by sodascouts; 12-03-2022 at 06:03 PM..
Old 12-03-2022, 05:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I thought about her by tuning in to the auction of her stuff just to see how it was going.... stuff is flying! Anyone win anything?
Old 12-03-2022, 06:20 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I thought about her by tuning in to the auction of her stuff just to see how it was going.... stuff is flying! Anyone win anything?
Wow. They got some great prices. I was going to bid on an item that said it was worth about $50. I was going to bid $105 a few weeks ago. That item sold for $2237!!!!!!!

Although some people got some good deals on some chairs and furniture. But boy they are making a killing.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:32 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
This is such a good idea, to get in the mindset of celebrating her rather than wallowing in the pain. Thanks for this.

So many things. Tonight I’ll probably listen to the Songbird compilation on vinyl and watch her 1983 solo concert on YouTube. Next week, I’m hoping to get my first ever tattoo, one of the birds from the Kiln House cover, in honor of her. I’d also been learning Got A Hold On Me on the piano and I’m now determined to finish and be able to play it in full.

In the long term, my husband and I are going to be in Europe this summer and I’d love to spend a few days in England visiting important places in Christine/FM history - like the town where she was born, her home in Kent which is now a yoga retreat place, venues where early FM and Chicken Shack used to play, etc.
That sounds so cool. I didn't know her home was a yoga retreat place now. what's it called? Wickhambreau or something? The Quaives?
Old 12-03-2022, 06:39 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombaysaffires View Post
I’m there right now. Blew a good chunk of my savings on one of the accordions and some other things, but I’ve always been the kind of person who gets really attached to the sentimental value of objects - I figured this is a once in a lifetime kind of thing (literally - I can’t imagine myself ever bidding in an auction again in my life) and I’d regret it if I didn’t. I hope that a good amount of the items have been going to other true fans. But some of these hammer prices are wildly high compared to the estimates - hopefully Musicares at least gets a decent percentage of it.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguin Emeritus View Post
That sounds so cool. I didn't know her home was a yoga retreat place now. what's it called? Wickhambreau or something? The Quaives?
Yes, it’s The Quaives. https://www.thequaives.com/ You can rent out and stay in the “Songbird Cottage” which is apparently where Christine kept her instruments and awards when she lived there.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie View Post
I’m there right now. Blew a good chunk of my savings on one of the accordions and some other things, but I’ve always been the kind of person who gets really attached to the sentimental value of objects - I figured this is a once in a lifetime kind of thing (literally - I can’t imagine myself ever bidding in an auction again in my life) and I’d regret it if I didn’t. I hope that a good amount of the items have been going to other true fans. But some of these hammer prices are wildly high compared to the estimates - hopefully Musicares at least gets a decent percentage of it.
Yes... I may have bid on some items myself...

I loved that one of her pianos that sold came with a cover that said "Christing F*****g McVie" LOL

Was QUITE surprised, given the way everything has been flying out the door and for higher than estimated prices, that her Yamaha baby grand that she used on the road to play "Songbird" from 1977-1997 per the auction notes, did NOT meet its minimum. They had it estimated from $50-70k and the bids stalled out at like $40/45k and they pulled it.
Old 12-03-2022, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
I made a big old playlist and put it on my iPod (yes I still have one of those) - 14 hours of nothing but Christine from Chicken Shack all the way to Buckingham McVie. Live stuff too. (DownOnRodeo, I listened to our version of Why as well!)

I also wore a Fleetwood Mac shirt to work on Thursday under my blazer. An older colleague spotted it and asked me if I'd "earned" it, presumably wondering if I was like those kids who wear Nirvana T-shirts but don't actually listen to the band. I assured her I was indeed a fan (little does she know), then realized that this colleague wasn't aware that Christine had passed away... I broke the news. It was a rather awkward moment.

At any rate, I'll be listening to the playlist for a while, I imagine. For me, it helps.
I've got some Tusk and Mirage shirts that are practically DUST. They haven't been worn in 30 years, but just years of sitting in boxes has taken it's toll, I guess.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:12 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I took her Time and Behind The Mask songs, specially All Over Again, one of the first songs that came to my mind after I knew what happened... Then I listened to some of her solo songs, but I'll go from the TITN works to the Future Games ones, just to go to the starting of everything.
RIP Christine
Old 12-04-2022, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jondalar View Post
I've also been stuck on Warm Ways.
I've been listening to that while watching the sunset. Even though, she's waiting for the sun, "to come up"