Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Make the Ads Go Away! Click here.

Old 12-02-2018, 09:35 PM
Senior Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
Thanks.

With Tusk I really think they chose the wrong songs for singles.

"Angel" "Sisters Of The Moon" "Over & Over" and maybe "Walk A Thin Line" would have been my choices.

One thing's for sure: There is no "Dreams" or "Go Your Own Way" on the album, so under no circumstances would it have sold anywhere near what Rumours did.
I agree that no song on the album was a good "clear cut single". Most of the songs on there just aren't radio songs, they lack the musical/lyrical/structural hooks that you'd need to be a successful hit/proper ear-worm.

That being said, I completely agree with their choices for singles.

Of Lindsey's songs, "Tusk" was probably the best choice. His songs on the album have such "out-there" music and his vocals take some getting used to. He definitely is not as easy to listen to on Tusk as he was on anything before with his strange yelping-whispering vocals. "Tusk" has these issues as well but they are not the focus, they instead take a backseat to that absolutely INFECTIOUS beat. From that standpoint, it was a good way of forcing listeners to get used to his style with a catchy number. I think "Walk a Thin Line" and "That's Enough For Me", and all the others would have done HORRIBLE because of how much emphasis they place on his strange vocals and production. If they come up in my rotation, most of my friends request they be skipped while saying "what was that crap?".

Christine's songs have the issue of being too alternately too light or too heavy in tone. "Honey Hi" is beautiful, but it was destined to be an album track. It's so fluffy it'd drown your ears in sugar. "Brown Eyes" has the same issue on the other side of the tonal spectrum, there's not enough to it. "Never Forget" is similar in a much more muted way. It would not have been a BAD choice for a single, but there's not enough of a hook to the lyrics or the music to make it especially memorable (though it is the perfect closer). "Over and Over" and "Never Make My Cry" are so dour and draggy on initial listen that they are practically inaccessible. "Think About Me" is the clear choice as it's her catchiest and ballsiest number on the album, even if it has issues that justify it not being a smash hit upon release. The interplay between Chris and Lindsey (which I normally love) took some time for me to warm up to personally and the guitar is pretty harsh to the ears.

Stevie's songs are dense as hell on this album. "Sisters of the Moon" is one of my favorite songs of hers but I cannot understand why it was chosen as a single. It's long, intense, has completely thick/un-relateable lyrics, and no chorus, just a memorable guitar riff and bassline. It's also mixed strangley with her vocals behind the music. "Angel" has some similar problems. It has kind of a fun beat but it's long, the lyrics are still thick af, and the chorus really isn't as catchy as it should be upon initial listen. It's a good song but it won't have you humming to it anytime soon. "Storms" and "Beautiful Child" are GORGEOUS and are RIPE with emotion, but they're also a little intense for radio in 1979. The sparse musical arrangement/lyrics on BC and the thick atmosphere/lyrics on "Storms" don't help either. "Landslide", while overplayed, makes for a better radio song IMO since it strikes a good balance between personal/relateable lyrics, touching vocals, and a more memorable musical accompaniment. "Sara" is not the perfect single either. The lyrics are as thick and barely relateable as any of her other songs, but the beat is practically hypnotic, the vocals are fantastic, and it really builds to a head by the end. Of her songs, it made the most sense.

(For the record, I LOVE most of Tusk, but it took me a while to be able to wade through it all to discover it's beauty, which is the basis of why I think that most of the songs are bad singles. It's amazing that "Tusk", "Sara", and "Think About Me" did as well as they did).

"The face of a pretty girl x1,000,000" -Isn't It Midnight (The song that got me into Christine McVie)

"The sun is bright, but not too bright to see. When the darkness comes you've got to fly into the light." -Doing What I Can (The song that got me into Lindsey Buckingham)

"I can still hear you saying you would never break the chain" -The Chain (The song that got me into Fleetwood Mac)
Old 12-02-2018, 09:49 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Hold Me video is the best.

Gypsy is a great video, but it should have featured the other band members more. There should have been more shots and scenes of Lindsey, Christine, John, and Mick.

I love the videos for Little Lies, Seven Wonders, and Big Love. They did a great job with the videos of each of the writers’ songs.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

I'd never really noticed it before, but I love how in the Hold Me video Lindsey is trying to paint glamorous Stevie but can't put brush to canvas and just gives up; meanwhile Stevie is preening herself and doesn't realize that nobody's watching her anymore; then she ends up coming over to the canvas and painting herself.

How prescient.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

1. Gypsy
2. Little Lies
3. Seven Wonders
4. Big Love
5. Hold Me